Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

The Super-Id posted:

I've made it to Aberdeen but I don't have any idea how to find anything on the surface. The maps and navigation tools in this game seem completely useless.

Yeah this too, for some reason you can only see distant destinations after you spool your quantum drive. Good luck guessing what any of the random strings of characters actually represent. Is it a planet? Is it a space station? Who knows! Prepare yourself for 10 minutes of swirling blue warp effects until you find out.

Oh also I couldn't figure out how the nav map works. Apparently it's F2 but I tried that and it appears to show nothing. I tried zooming out with mouse scroll but that did nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/MatthewLillard/status/1265529273739284491

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

trucutru posted:

:bisonyes:

And we're still missing the kraken & pioneer day.

Sorry, that's my fault, I fell and hit my credit card upon a RSI pledge store.

Still, I brought 3 Idris :shepspends::shepspends::shepspends:

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Good news everyone! I finally fulfilled my lifelong dream of being incarcerated in Star Citizen. It turns out trespassing at Klescher was enough of a crime that I got a real crime stat. The turrets at the prison started shooting me but did not seem able to damage the shields of my mighty freelancer before they regenerated so I rammed myself into them and blew up. Upon waking in prison I finally felt a sense of accomplishment. I got a mining tool and mined a rock. I was not expecting there to be a little mini game for mining, but I had to use my mouse wheel to keep a line in a little green zone so that I could successfully mine the rock (yay). Then I made a friend and followed him into the escape tunnels where he was shortly forced to abandon me when I became stuck in a rock face and could not get out.

10/10

I'm off to buy an Idris now and I'm afraid I'll have to stop posting here because of all the FUD. See you in the verse!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Greenplastic posted:

Wait a second, what happened at the end there? Did he get teleported back into prison? Do you just immediately teleport to prison if you get commit a crime? I thought you had to die first or something

It seems it's dual bugs. The trespassing one giving them a new crimstat the minute the old one runs out, and then the lift bugging (and killing them?) as they try to get out.

There are other fun ones too. A regular one is the lift teleporting them to the middle of space instead.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

This is glorious :allears:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Hold on to your butts, I finally made it into a spaceship!

It's wildly underwhelming!

I legit can’t wait.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Last one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH0rQwiI3qI

After this I tried to open it and there was no launch button.

I enjoyed all these videos, thanks for sharing them. I recommend following the path laid down by BettysBigTits for acquiring your first spaceship in the verse

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

More lethal than cod
https://i.imgur.com/amA50Cy.mp4

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lmaothal

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

MarcusSA posted:

I legit can’t wait.

about that

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Granted this shouldn't surprise us, but holy hell...wtf?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Colostomy Bag posted:

Granted this shouldn't surprise us, but holy hell...wtf?

If you sell it, they will come.

FD should really step up their game. Just release a JPG of a concept, slap a thousand dollar price tag on it. Say it punches above its wieght, and they will make bank.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

trucutru posted:

And we're still missing the kraken & pioneer day.

Oh, that's going to be good!

The more money CIG makes the bigger the farce it becomes.

At some point even the most deluded backers aren't going to be able to compare the cost of SC with any other game. Its already funny as hell when they try and compare the cost of delivering a full product with a buggy alpha.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Feyd Rautha avatar really seals the deal with that one.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of flight models, I recently completed an air-to-air refueling in the DCS F-14B for the first time, and I'm so happy. My hands were cramping, sweat was pouring down my forehead, but I was smiling like an idiot. It's so many things to take into account, the turbulence from the tankers engine, the wind, the small but crucial delay in translating your throttle movements into actual mechanical engine parts movement, the constant altering of your nose attitude depending on small airspeed changes, and so on. I've never flown a real F-14, and never will, but goddamn it's a good flight model that really sucks you in.

And then I look at that Idris video, or for that matter any SC-video with space ships in them....

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Please put down your weapon. You have 20 seconds to comply.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Please put down your weapon. You have 20 seconds to comply.

Where....where is the mistype? What have they done with your skull? :ohdear:

Dark times!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tuo posted:

Where....where is the mistype? What have they done with your skull? :ohdear:

Dark times!

copied and pasted it form a quote site :smug:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

phew, I really was worried for a moment!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
no need to panic, I am still the idiot I always was friend

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

colonelwest posted:

Yeah all of the years of work that go into just creating these landing zones, and they all just boil down to the same small maze of metallic corridors and a space mall. This is supposed to be a fascist and plutocratic Space Roman Empire, ruled by giant interstellar corporations, but it’s all played completely bland and straight like it’s a good and normal thing. None of it has any imagination or edge to it. It’s like watching a 90’s instructional video about investing in the stock market.

it comes across as the arse end of the empire. like some forsaken mall in rural america. irrelevant to the rest of the universe except as a few lines in some corporations spreadsheets.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LOL, just noticed, his feel are clipping through the floor.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

ThevSonata posted:

Managed to waste 80% of my UEC by forgetting how mass works, slammed my Freelancer full of scrap right into Olisar. Gotta learn some how right?

Would spend $60 again.

cute of you to assume chris roberts knows of inertia (or that spaceship games should have decent spaceship flight mechanics of any kind)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

LOL, just noticed, his feel are clipping through the floor.

He is a space amputee you insensitive clod. Show some respect.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

God, I loved that ship so much during the concept days. Finally getting it in the hangar and walking around the completely stupid inside parts was one of the first things that made me go "I'm not sure these guys know what they're doing." It's nice to know CIG continues to disappoint.

Look how they massacred my boy.

DGP Space Lion
Oct 10, 2012

Welcome to Goa, Singham

Dwesa posted:

This is hilarious yet painful to watch. All those useless signs with names of imaginary corporations or whatever and no clear directions. It reminds me of Tel Aviv central bus station, which was designed to get lost inside.

This is extremely appropriate when you consider that the Tel Aviv central bus station was supposed to be completed by the late 1960s and was such a clusterfuck that it only opened in the early 1990s with half the planned features missing, and since then it was pretty much abandoned

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

DGP Space Lion posted:

This is extremely appropriate when you consider that the Tel Aviv central bus station was supposed to be completed by the late 1960s and was such a clusterfuck that it only opened in the early 1990s with half the planned features missing, and since then it was pretty much abandoned

My god, thank you both. Learn something new every day. That sums up Star Citizen in a nutshell.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

You were at another surface vehicle spawn pad- that's why your ships weren't available. I don't blame you the layout of the spaceports is confusing as hell and there is absolutely nothing to differentiate the surface vehicle spawners from the space spawners.

It really is interesting watching a new person run through the game. The signage and "Tips" are all still designed around Port Olisar where the spawn -> ship console path is a 10 second corridor. As they've tacked on these bigger and bigger cities they've made absolutely no allowance for new people becoming confused and lost in their endless shopping mall labyrinths. It is almost anti-game design, at this point.

So if you go to that place you can start killing people? Like half the tutorial messages I got was about weapons, killing, silent takedowns, etc.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I thought for a brief moment I was actually going to be able to log in this morning. It made it to the full screen loading page for a fraction of a second, and then crashed to desktop.

Chris Roberts's Desktop Commander 10/10

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

no need to panic, I am still the idiot I always was friend

you and me :hfive:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Titanic posted:

So if you go to that place you can start killing people? Like half the tutorial messages I got was about weapons, killing, silent takedowns, etc.

Well... no, it's still an armistice zone. I don't know why they spam a bunch of tooltips about how to kill people on foot, the closest "Kill people on foot" zone with actual killable NPC's is probably going to be that one security station where you reset your crime stat, but it's a substantial flight away from any spawn point. I think the devs just got so proud of how you can maybe choke somebody now that they forgot that they'd built a game where it's basically impossible to get in a situation where you might ever need to.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So I hadn't checked this thread in about a week and I saw that there was a SQ42 video that was supposed to be released, but had been delayed. I went through 20 pages to make sure I didn't miss when it had been released and posted here.

I should have known better.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So I hadn't checked this thread in about a week and I saw that there was a SQ42 video that was supposed to be released, but had been delayed. I went through 20 pages to make sure I didn't miss when it had been released and posted here.

minor editing quirks! 15 minutes tops!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Stick around, CIG promised to release a video explaining the delay of the SQ42 video. That, too, was delayed, but I expect a video explaining that to come along shortly.

Meanwhile you can hop into the bad model viewer and noclip around the physics-free really bad "spaceships" like lots of others here. It's like an "org!"

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

It has been 7 days since the SQ42 video was supposed to be released and 2.5 months since the last video where they announced to be more transparent about SQ42 - self.starcitizen

We're lucky the fleet week trailers didn’t have editorial issues.

Infiltrated FUDster Goon, Probably posted:

Yeah. Umm, they don't want to release the video during Invictus, because if the video sucks or is bad news (which let's be honest, is most likely the case), then it will hurt Invictus sales.

Right now they're riding the hype train to the bank. After all that settles down, THEN they will release the video.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Do you remember Close Encounters of the Third Kind, when the aliens spent forever just screwing around with people? Stealing their poo poo, beaming dreams and visions into their brains, conditioning them to answer the call, to the point where they ignored their families, obsessed over stupid stuff, filled rooms with replicas of poo poo the aliens had shown them, until their families left, and they were all alone? That is the way you need to think about what CIG is doing.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

I thought for a brief moment I was actually going to be able to log in this morning. It made it to the full screen loading page for a fraction of a second, and then crashed to desktop.

Chris Roberts's Desktop Commander 10/10

tools/public/crobbler.exe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Mr Fronts posted:

Do you remember Close Encounters of the Third Kind, when the aliens spent forever just screwing around with people? Stealing their poo poo, beaming dreams and visions into their brains, conditioning them to answer the call, to the point where they ignored their families, obsessed over stupid stuff, filled rooms with replicas of poo poo the aliens had shown them, until their families left, and they were all alone? That is the way you need to think about what CIG is doing.

It would be a hell of a struggle for Ben to sculpt mashed potatoes into a likeness of Crobear before giving up and just eating them all.