Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lol this global adobe cloud outage is generating a poo poo ton of tickets. I work at a design company. hahahaha my CEO was like "Waht the gently caress"

status.adobe.com is fun right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Yeah this Adobe outage is making my users insane.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
"I CANT EVEN OPEN A PDF"

yeah im sorry man. lol

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

silicone thrills posted:

lol this global adobe cloud outage is generating a poo poo ton of tickets. I work at a design company. hahahaha my CEO was like "Waht the gently caress"

Gosh! Who could possibly have conceived of such a thing happening!!!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

silicone thrills posted:

status.adobe.com is fun right now

I'm sure happy Adobe's software requires an always-on internet connection. That sure does add a lot of value to the consumer.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think they give you 30 days to run offline, yank the network on your computer and I believe it'll work fine.

But perhaps they forgot to handle the case where the local internet connection is still there but the remote server is spewing poo poo, which is pretty shameful.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
"We need something done about this immediately."

Okay, I will have lunch.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

xzzy posted:

I think they give you 30 days to run offline, yank the network on your computer and I believe it'll work fine.

But perhaps they forgot to handle the case where the local internet connection is still there but the remote server is spewing poo poo, which is pretty shameful.

I am way too intermittently familiar with how Adobe handles sign-in and licensing and the fact that it ever works at all is actually super impressive.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

When I reviewed firewall rules at the design studio I discovered that we had the "phone" home port blocked outbound. This was CS5.5-ish, so it was okay. I made them buy licenses when headcount expanded anyway.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Internet Explorer posted:

I am way too intermittently familiar with how Adobe handles sign-in and licensing and the fact that it ever works at all is actually super impressive.

Fun fact, if your public profile info in your Adobe account is blank, Creative Cloud tips over and loads a blank white UI.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Yeah my big problem right now is we work on projects that have spanned many years so many of my users have multiple versions of illustrator and photoshop installed to support various weird issues. So they install/uninstall frequently. I've had at least 3 tickets just this morning that are purely "hey I need to install 2019 illustrator due to X, can you help, creative cloud desktop isnt loading"
My other tickets are mostly like "hey I need to sign a PDF but the service seems to be offline"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a massive shame that Adobe products are an industry standard and would require the entire industry to agree moving away from them

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What was the closest thing to a photoshop competitor?

Corel Photo-Paint?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Corel Photo-Paint?

Serif PhotoPlus is workable for most small marketing teams, but might be a bit shy for dedicated graphic artists. And Corel Paintshop is still around. Also GIMP isn't dead yet. Macs might have some closer competitors.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

The GIMP

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Internet Explorer posted:

Good lord. I get sweaty when it hits 75.

Spend a few decades in the desert and you’ll find yourself grabbing your hoodie when it’s colder than 72 (my heater turns on at 70).

It’s really weird to experience when you’re from the PNW, but it does happen. Even in the summer, it’s cold when I visit the area.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

duffmensch posted:

Spend a few decades in the desert and you’ll find yourself grabbing your hoodie when it’s colder than 72 (my heater turns on at 70).

It’s really weird to experience when you’re from the PNW, but it does happen. Even in the summer, it’s cold when I visit the area.

Maybe it is different if it's a dry desert, but I can tell you right out that isn't the case if you live somewhere humid.
I've lived all my life in Arkansas and oh god will someone please just end my misery

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Corel Photo-Paint?

Probably the Affinity suite

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Senior manager sends round directive to use new web app
Users feedback that they cannot login due to restrictions on our accounts
All hands training session to explain how to access it: 30mins

Guess the complicated process that had to be carefully explained to us over that half hour?

Incognito mode and use the manager's credentials

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Guess this is a good a place to ask as any...

Opening a new location, possibly two, and looking at going with SIP trunks this time around.

What is everyone's favorite SIP trunk provider?

Midwest US, will need at least 2 DIDs...

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Moo the cow posted:

What the gently caress

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

stevewm posted:

Guess this is a good a place to ask as any...

Opening a new location, possibly two, and looking at going with SIP trunks this time around.

What is everyone's favorite SIP trunk provider?

Midwest US, will need at least 2 DIDs...

Flowroute has been good for me. They recently started charging us some $15/mo "Admin" fee after we removed all of our DID's though which is some bullshit, but whatever.
They're a decent sip provider with good security and lots of POPs.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Moo the cow posted:

Senior manager sends round directive to use new web app
Users feedback that they cannot login due to restrictions on our accounts
All hands training session to explain how to access it: 30mins

Guess the complicated process that had to be carefully explained to us over that half hour?

Test? What's "test?"

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the last flip-phone holdout on staff finally got a smartphone but nothing has changed because now any time anyone suggests using a smartphone for anything she's like "WOW! I do NOT think I will be putting this App on my Smart Phone !"

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Thanatosian posted:

Test? What's "test?"
It's was less of a 'testing' issue and more a 'not wanting to pay multi-user license fees' situation.

This is the same guy who proposed, instead of buying a multi-user license for a commercial information service, 50 geographically-disparate users could share the credentials of a single personal account and surely they wouldn't notice if we were really careful not to log on at the same time.

SamDabbers posted:

What the gently caress

He spent literally 6 minutes explaining how to keep a copy of his password.
Letting your browser remember it was bad for 'reasons'
Better to remember the memnomic he used for it: '3 as I have 3 children, A as my middle name, 30 as the number of people in the office.....'
Or we could save it as a text file on the desktop. This is much more secure than writing in on a post-it and sticking it to the desk [in the home offices of these remote workers]

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ah, back in the office. still just doing stuff i could have done at home but now i have the opportunity to be breathed on by people walking around without masks

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
A coworker yesterday during a Zoom call suggested to our boss that a mask policy be implemented for anybody who had to be in the office to work. Said, "I haven't seen anybody at all wear a mask." This coworker was in the office at the time, not wearing a mask. :waycool:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Back in like 2005, Barracuda Networks seemed like a cool company. They were making Linux-based products like email spam filters, had roots in my state, blah blah.

15 years later after countless acquisitions and a total shitfest of leadership, they are loving garbage.

I've had a support ticket open for over a month, a software update of their device broke SNMP so we aren't able to monitor it. No big deal right, get in there and re-open the port or restart the service or fix some firewall rule?

Every other day, it's been:

"Ports open!"
No it's not.
"Works on our end!"
Okay sure.
"Your password is wrong!"
No it's not.
"Well the ports open!"
No it's not.

I finally get a new tech since the old one was apparently some 12 year old linux kiddie, and this new guy just doesn't get it.

quote:

Hi Bob,

Please take a look now, I just added port 161 to the additional listening ports.

Thanks,
Doofus
code:
$ telnet cuda-arch 161
Trying 172.27.18.6...
Connected to cuda-arch.
Escape character is '^]'.
550 Sender Not Recognized
Connection closed by foreign host.
SNMP
not SMTP
:bahgawd:

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Looking at some cloud hosted PBX options.. They are so... expensive, compared to having your own on-premise system and getting SIP trunks from one of the myriad of providers out there.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

stevewm posted:

Looking at some cloud hosted PBX options.. They are so... expensive, compared to having your own on-premise system and getting SIP trunks from one of the myriad of providers out there.

but then you have to manage your own on-premise system

stevewm
May 10, 2005

The Fool posted:

I guess it would depend on your situation... But the one at our corp. office I maybe touch 2-3 times a year for an update.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

The Fool posted:

Stick 3CX on a small AWS instance, you're done. Easy to set up, cake to manage, takes care of its own updates.

I don't disagree that keeping systems on premises for the sake of staying out of the cloud is dumb, but paying RingCentral 20 bucks a month per extension is also loving dumb when a Flowroute DID costs $1.25 a month, usage costs are less than a penny per minute, and the AWS cost is probably less than $10/month. Sure if you have five phones the hassle probably isn't worth it, but for any decent sized office the savings are considerable and unless you're Zero VGS loving around with Asterisk all day the admin time required is peanuts.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Stick 3CX on a small AWS instance, you're done. Easy to set up, cake to manage, takes care of its own updates.

I don't disagree that keeping systems on premises for the sake of staying out of the cloud is dumb, but paying RingCentral 20 bucks a month per extension is also loving dumb when a Flowroute DID costs $1.25 a month, usage costs are less than a penny per minute, and the AWS cost is probably less than $10/month. Sure if you have five phones the hassle probably isn't worth it, but for any decent sized office the savings are considerable and unless you're Zero VGS loving around with Asterisk all day the admin time required is peanuts.

Yeah I have been looking at 3CX, PBXAct, etc... With likely Yealink hardware. Will have 15-20 extensions, though a max of 4-5 calls in progress at any given point. Most of the extensions are for convenience sake and will sit idle a lot.

We use a Grandstream UCM at the office. While I am happy with the UCM, its functionality, and reliability. (its built on Asterisk), I am not too happy with the Grandstream phones themselves. Nearly every Grandstream GXP2170 we have has at least one failed BLF LED. My own has 6 failed LEDs. And a couple have lines in the LCD.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I have a cisco ucm right now and there is no limit to the amount of company money that I would spend to get rid of it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Fool posted:

I have a cisco ucm right now and there is no limit to the amount of company money that I would spend to get rid of it.

Truth

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

stevewm posted:

For the exact same reasons that hosted email is more expensive than throwing postfix and dovecot on a Debian/CentOS box. You're paying for it to be someone else's problem when it breaks. Especially now that some of the same anti-spam concepts that have made running your own email system a lot more challenging are beginning to apply to phone systems, new E911 regs, etc.

stevewm posted:

We use a Grandstream UCM at the office. While I am happy with the UCM, its functionality, and reliability. (its built on Asterisk), I am not too happy with the Grandstream phones themselves. Nearly every Grandstream GXP2170 we have has at least one failed BLF LED. My own has 6 failed LEDs. And a couple have lines in the LCD.

We've had an absolutely terrible experience with Grandstream's end-user hardware. Their GXW42xx series analog banks are great, but I will never recommend their desk phones to anyone. The config files are literally the worst in the industry, actively hostile to the user as opposed to the more standard "slightly goofy implementation of XML or INI style" most other phones offer.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Today I cannot log in to brand new account on a major digital cloud service provider system due to their login screen "Sign In" ajax button function not actually doing anything other than showing "signing in" for a split second when I click it. I can log in to my 2FA-enabled existing account fine, but only if I click the "sign-in" button twice. Testing? We fired those people.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wolrah posted:

We've had an absolutely terrible experience with Grandstream's end-user hardware. Their GXW42xx series analog banks are great, but I will never recommend their desk phones to anyone. The config files are literally the worst in the industry, actively hostile to the user as opposed to the more standard "slightly goofy implementation of XML or INI style" most other phones offer.

Thankfully I never had to deal with or touch config files at all. Though I have seen a taste of it. In large I use the zero-config feature in the UCM software to configure the phones. I do have to use a handful of "PCodes" to configure options not in the ZeroConfig GUI. I can only imagine dealing with an entire file full of those is a nightmare.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

grillster posted:

Today I cannot log in to brand new account on a major digital cloud service provider system due to their login screen "Sign In" ajax button function not actually doing anything other than showing "signing in" for a split second when I click it. I can log in to my 2FA-enabled existing account fine, but only if I click the "sign-in" button twice. Testing? We fired those people.

I’ve been running into more and more web ui issues caused by my ad-blocker

Specifically I use ublock origin on chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

The Fool posted:

I’ve been running into more and more web ui issues caused by my ad-blocker

Specifically I use ublock origin on chrome.

So the twice-click to get it to sign on to my own account has been normal for a couple of months now and I brought the issue up earlier in the year. Unfortunately I disabled all such content blockers and still no dice.