Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ymgve posted:

also doesn't installshield and nsis and poo poo register every file that they install so you can just go "wipe this list of files, kthx"?

it ought to

so does that mean they crafted their own installer

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

they probably just threw in a custom script action in the install package to wipe the entire folder and its contents at the end of its uninstall routine because a couple orphaned files were keeping the folder from getting deleted

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

they look to have created their own installer, which—having bloodied myself on NSIS in the past—I can understand wanting to do. NSIS is great, but a very general tool, and tricky to integrate well with a delta-patching system (or was when I last looked at it), so it’s tempting to do something “simpler” for your own specific use case. I think the generated installer usually gets a list of directories and not just files, such that it can clean up temp files and caches and so forth when uninstalling, so you could probably code this (security?) fuckup into your config if you worked at it

I don’t know if this part of the NSIS feature-brag page is ironic or not:

quote:

A lovely coding experience with elements of PHP and assembly (includes user variables, a stack, real flow control, etc.)

software installation and uninstallation should be an operating system task with enforced boundaries; don’t rpm -Uvh me

e: ah, Bangers is a vet I see

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

software installation and uninstallation should be an operating system task with enforced boundaries; don’t rpm -Uvh me
Where the gently caress do I sign up.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Why bother writing an app when you can just code it in NSIS?

Subjunctive posted:

quote:

A lovely coding experience with elements of PHP and assembly (includes user variables, a stack, real flow control, etc.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

official response:

quote:

I've been reading online that this bug was causing entire disks to be wiped out, which was not necessarily the case.

literally the person who filed this bug:

quote:

I had the Minecraft Dungeons launcher installed on my SSD with all my games, it wouldn't let me install the game in the same place so I uninstalled the launcher so I could install it on my C drive but it wiped out my entire games SSD!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

evil_bunnY posted:

Where the gently caress do I sign up.

app stores, it seems

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
it's 2020 and windows still struggles with tracking and backing out registry changes, but on the plus side I see the nullsoft installer all the time, it also whips the llamas rear end

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Shame Boy posted:

official response:

literally the person who filed this bug:

someone could have had only a portion of their disk wiped out by our bug here. therefore your take is #fakenews #worksforme #wontfix

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So the dude installed it in D:\games\.

What are you saying here?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
no one else got bit by the adobe poo poo today eh

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I think that if I had needed to do any license management I would have, but otherwise no

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

no one else got bit by the adobe poo poo today eh

i think we did

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I guess these dumb kids should have installed this game through the Windows Store™️ where everything would have been safely containerized

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I guess these dumb kids should have installed this game through the Windows Store™️ where everything would have been safely containerized

ah but: there’s no cross-play between Windows Store Minecraft and Custom Installer Minecraft!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

ah but: there’s no cross-play between Windows Store Minecraft and Custom Installer Minecraft!

lmfao

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also this isn't Minecraft, this is Minecraft: poo poo Times, a new game with the assets of the old.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it’s a loving nightmare. iOS/Android can only cross-play with the Store (“Bedrock”) version, and there are different account spaces between the Xbox/Bedrock server world and the Java one. it took me like 3 hours to get a server and all the account permissions and settings correct so that my kid and her friend could play together, and that included breaking down and just renting a “Realm” server from Microsoft because the Bedrock one on my provider didn’t work for some reason.

in more secfucky news, the child account management for the Xbox stuff is impressively Byzantine and plagued with out of date caches and needing to restart things, and all the advice on the web for it boils down to “just open up everything and wait 12 hours”.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Tbh, considering the secfuck that pile of poo poo is it seems very reasonable you'd have to jump through hoops to host a server. Like how else are they supposed to make sure you're not one of those pedophiles who doesn't have a credit card.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 28, 2020

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

included breaking down and just renting a “Realm” server from Microsoft because the Bedrock one on my provider didn’t work for some reason.

the system works!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it is quite amazing that everything that microsoft touches/buys crumbles into loving dust within a few years. GitHub probably has a year or two left in it before microsoft completely destroy s it i'm guessing

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Minecraft has lasted a half loving decade after MS buying it.

poo poo's fine. Like you either blame Notch or blame Bill Gates. At this point who loving cares.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 28, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

Last Chance posted:

it is quite amazing that everything that microsoft touches/buys crumbles into loving dust within a few years. GitHub probably has a year or two left in it before microsoft completely destroy s it i'm guessing
If Google had bought GitHub they probably would have already shut it down by now.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

mystes posted:

If Google had bought GitHub they probably would have already shut it down by now.

good news, we're bringing back google code! only we're gonna rename it to something obtuse and it's gonna have 1/2 the features of GitHub

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Last Chance posted:

lol, the minecraft purchase has been a huge success for microsoft, it still sells like crazy.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

oops I forgot that money means quality

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

oh yeah, the best-selling game in history, by a vast margin, is actually objectively really bad and microsoft made it bad. loving bunglers.

presumably what you mean when you say that github will be dust in a few years is actually that every developer uses it, it raking in cash, but forums poster last chance will dislike it and shake their head in disapproval.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 28, 2020

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

uh huh.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

oh yeah, the best-selling game in history, by a vast margin, is actually objectively really bad and microsoft made it bad. loving bunglers.

yes, though in fairness it was bad before microsoft touched it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Microsoft’s primary contribution to Minecraft is making it unmoddable so that nobody else can fix it.

Their second contribution is microtransactions.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shame Boy posted:

yes, though in fairness it was bad before microsoft touched it

pseudorandom name posted:

Microsoft’s primary contribution to Minecraft is making it unmoddable so that nobody else can fix it.

both correct. i got a 2080 as part of a full system replacement and tried the preview of their raytracing. lol that addon store is loving nickel and dime central. its buying haircuts for your rectangle avatar or some nonsense and barely ranks about freemium app store skeeze

if i was a parent id just buy full price lego sets and save some money

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pseudorandom name posted:

although, removing the notch credit was a universal good that weighs up a lot of ills

Drosera
Oct 8, 2010
o p

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
microsoft changed it from a messy seat-of-the-pants open-to-everyone indie free-for-all run by a nazi to a closed commercialized exploited product not run by a nazi. so it was probably an upgrade overall

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i thought the nazis were at odds with anarchy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Agile Vector posted:

freemium app store skeeze
mods

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

haveblue posted:

microsoft changed it from a messy seat-of-the-pants open-to-everyone indie free-for-all run by a nazi to a closed commercialized exploited product not run by a nazi. so it was probably an upgrade overall

i was with you up until "not run by a nazi"

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

presumably what you mean when you say that github will be dust in a few years is actually that every developer uses it, it raking in cash, but forums poster last chance will dislike it and shake their head in disapproval.

wasn't it leaked that revenue had been growing about 50%+ a year, but their net loss is growing at like 75% a year, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Subjunctive posted:

it’s a loving nightmare. iOS/Android can only cross-play with the Store (“Bedrock”) version, and there are different account spaces between the Xbox/Bedrock server world and the Java one. it took me like 3 hours to get a server and all the account permissions and settings correct so that my kid and her friend could play together, and that included breaking down and just renting a “Realm” server from Microsoft because the Bedrock one on my provider didn’t work for some reason.

in more secfucky news, the child account management for the Xbox stuff is impressively Byzantine and plagued with out of date caches and needing to restart things, and all the advice on the web for it boils down to “just open up everything and wait 12 hours”.

I have a buddy who is into all the Bedrock stuff and he says that if you rent a server on Switch the transaction will go through but literally do nothing and then both Nintendo and MS support will ignore you about it.

I guess I'll have to force my children to play the Java version.