Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Who thinks the Hawks will make it out of the first round? I kind of want to toxx.

Only if Hossa spontaneously recovers from his allergy while Seabrook simultaneously comes down with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Schremp Howard posted:

Pittsburgh has like one practice rink they could use and maybe six hotels around it. No way they can support it. And CBJSprague will rightly tell you that Ohio State would do everything it possibly could to prevent them from coming to Columbus.

Truth be told, I'd actually forgotten about OSU in this situation. They'd certainly never let them use their ice even if the NHL backed a Brinks truck up to their door, but there might be enough NHL practice-worthy rinks in the area between the two which belong to the Blue Jackets and the Chillers in the area to where OSU couldn't stop them.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Only if Hossa spontaneously recovers from his allergy while Seabrook simultaneously comes down with it

Bad news, Marian Hossa is now on the Arizona Coyotes.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pungry posted:

Bad news, Marian Hossa is now on the Arizona Coyotes.

Well poo poo, that ruins the joke

Coyotes all-time with Datsyuk, Pronger, and Hossa sure is something though

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1265759871447662593

Had no idea Raleigh was home to a molten salt reactor.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/1265759871447662593

Had no idea Raleigh was home to a molten salt reactor.

Buncha jerks trying to spoil our hockey tournament.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
What are the Canes so salty about exactly? That they play the Rangers in the first round instead of the Caps or Flyers?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

Buncha jerks trying to spoil our hockey tournament.

After all this complaining that poo poo is just lame now.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

What are the Canes so salty about exactly? That they play the Rangers in the first round instead of the Caps or Flyers?
It's an extra round for them, so you got to win 5 playoff series instead of 4

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

It's an extra round for them, so you got to win 5 playoff series instead of 4

maybe they should have thought of that before the regular season got cancelled for a global pandemic :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Carolina didn’t even have a good chance to make the playoffs. They were a bubble wildcard.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Carolina didn’t even have a good chance to make the playoffs. They were a bubble wildcard.

Being chased by... the Rangers. Almost like they are in the same spot they were during the season?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

At this point it’s obvious God himself does not want Ovi to hit 895. He’ll be at 894 and a loving asteroid will the earth before his next game.

There'll be an empty net and Ovi by himself with no one around and Don Cherry will launch himself from the stands and stop the puck.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
what's carolina's solution...to just not play? then those 68 games really were worthless

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I wonder if the AHL and ECHL will delay their next seasons to line up with the NHL.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Without fans they won't be playing at all

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I thought it was something like if Carolina loses to the Rangers, they also lose their first rounder to them

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I wonder if the AHL and ECHL will delay their next seasons to line up with the NHL.

They may have to, but a lot of the teams, especially in the ECHL, are going to be on the verge of folding already and delaying will just make it worse. Minor leagues need asses in seats.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Carolina deserves no happiness

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Good soup! posted:

Carolina deserves no happiness

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Duckman2008 posted:

At this point it’s obvious God himself does not want Ovi to hit 895. He’ll be at 894 and a loving asteroid will the earth before his next game.

Good.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

RIP Nick Bjugstad. Had surgery yesterday for a herniated disc, out at least two months. In the Bjugstad Conversion Rate that's at least 6 months

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Has Bjugstad ever come even close to playing a full season in his career? Poor guy is made of glass.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just once.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/DownGoesBrown/status/1266001891894460416

Hey, NHL. Do this.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 28, 2020

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That sounds really dumb and bad.

But! it's also fun and new, so that's the reason they won't.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

N: Giving this its own post because I didn't see cocaine bear's post, host cities' local teams may have to play somewhere else to eliminate home ice advantage, meaning a Western team could be based in an Eastern city and vice versa.

V: CALVINBALL!

https://twitter.com/Aportzline/status/1266030739902128130

Also, tying in to discussion last night, Ohio State has apparently agreed to aid in hosting events if Columbus is selected, which would mean games could be played at Nationwide and Value City Arena simultaneously.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/nhl/status/1266037014161502214?s=21

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

clean ayers act posted:

It kind of has to suck to be Toews to go from "one of the top 100 ever!" to "good but overrated" in 3 years. OTOH, 3 cups

For me, I have never really changed my opinion of Toews. I have always thought he was a good to great player, someone I would have loved to have on the Leafs, but I have always thought him being thought of as a top-5 player was overrating him.

On the other hand, when a guy like Malkin is ranked below him, even in January 2017 before Malkin won his 3rd Cup, it feels a little ridiculous.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Niedermayer as the 4th best defenseman of all time is really really stupid

Yeah, it's hilarious. And I loved Niedermayer.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Also, tying in to discussion last night, Ohio State has apparently agreed to aid in hosting events if Columbus is selected, which would mean games could be played at Nationwide and Value City Arena simultaneously.

i am legitimately shocked they offered, holy poo poo

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That could work out well to nullify the Blue Jackets' home field advantage by making them play in an arena that's hostile to them.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's weird and kinda cool to think Ovi has won the Richard in 9 of his 15 active seasons.
Jesus christ, man. Leave some goals for the rest of the league.

e: Just checked and in terms of league leading goal scorers by seasons, Ovi's 9 is top all time.
The next closest in Bobby Hull with 7 and and Phil Esposito with 6.

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 28, 2020

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Man that stinks for Ovie. Even counting conservatively work stoppages and now the pandemic have probably kept 60 goals off his career total.

04/05: 35 goal rookie year?
12/13: on pace for 55. Say he hits 50g that's 18 more.
19/20: on pace for 58 say he hits 55g that's 7 more.

He'd be at 766 today so only 127 behind Gretzky. That's only 4.25 30 goals season to pass him. Much more doable than the 6.33 30 goal seasons it'll take him currently.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 28, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eh call it even with Gretzky's 46 WHA goals that don't count.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Twin Cinema posted:

For me, I have never really changed my opinion of Toews. I have always thought he was a good to great player, someone I would have loved to have on the Leafs, but I have always thought him being thought of as a top-5 player was overrating him.

On the other hand, when a guy like Malkin is ranked below him, even in January 2017 before Malkin won his 3rd Cup, it feels a little ridiculous.

I think people will start to come around on Malkin, but the Toews hype took off with the Hawks' second cup, which is also the year Malkin started missing 20 games a year due to injury, for six years, before playing a full-ish 78 games in 17-18 and returning to highest regards. Having 15, 50, and 9 goals in consecutive seasons is an interesting statline.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

https://streamable.com/ze51f9

Man coburn can’t swing an ax worth poo poo.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Hirez posted:

I thought it was something like if Carolina loses to the Rangers, they also lose their first rounder to them

This is also dependent on Toronto I think but it would be cool if that happens too.

Rangers win (GWG scored by Gaulthier with Skjei on the ice) and get Carolinas 1st rounder.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Eh call it even with Gretzky's 46 WHA goals that don't count.

Wayne Gretzky was underage for the NHL when he played in the WHA (it's the only reason he played there other than not wanting to be drafted by Colorado). I think it's fair to exclude those goal totals because Ovie didn't have the same opportunity.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

I think people will start to come around on Malkin, but the Toews hype took off with the Hawks' second cup, which is also the year Malkin started missing 20 games a year due to injury, for six years, before playing a full-ish 78 games in 17-18 and returning to highest regards. Having 15, 50, and 9 goals in consecutive seasons is an interesting statline.

I never actually watched Forsberg in his prime but it seems like he's a pretty fair comparable. Malkin is slightly less consistently broken but he's got the ability to be one of the all-time greats it's just his broken body holding him back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Wayne Gretzky was underage for the NHL when he played in the WHA (it's the only reason he played there other than not wanting to be drafted by Colorado). I think it's fair to exclude those goal totals because Ovie didn't have the same opportunity.

If they had let Florida draft him he would have!