Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Atlantis came out during my edgy teen phase so I have no idea how good it actually was. I was easily impressed by anything that was "mature" and slightly reminiscent of anime. At the time, though, I was quite convinced everyone was missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Atlantis is probably one of the few movies I think would work better as a live action one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Atlantis generally sucks, but the animation is at least beautiful.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm not sure why this isn't on an official channel but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0LuD0MTuhg

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Hedrigall posted:

Atlantis is missing like a 20 minute chunk of adventures on the submarine that would have made it one of the best animated adventure films.

Without a middle act it feels so rushed.

Yeah, that's a big part of it. The pacing is just all over the place, and one of the best setpieces of the film is blown up way too quickly. The animation and characters in general had a TON of potential, and it's a shame the end product doesn't really hold together.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Treasure Planet is better than Atlantis.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Well, they're releasing ahead of Raya I guess!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

:agreed:

But that 5-movie run in the middle of the "Post-Renaissance" is actually pretty drat good: Emperor's, Atlantis, Lilo, Treasure, Bear

These movies range from "pretty good" to "absolutely love it" for me. They're the 5 I own on blu-ray from that era and I'm happy to have them in my collection.

It's a shame they're sandwiched by mediocre stuff on either side (Fantasia 2000 is okay but it's a snoozefest for me, Dinosaur is the most forgettable movie I've ever seen, Home on the Range has... a good song?, and Chicken+Robinsons are two of the worst animated movies I've ever seen)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Macaluso posted:

Looks great, I've now got a bunch of non-Disney/Pixar ones to look forward to including this, Rumble, and that one about the family on a road trip during a robot uprising, what was that called?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I will agree with this right up to the point where Martin Short’s character pops up. Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I found his whole schtick grating and out of place and it kind of ruined the end of the movie for me. Like the gargoyles in Hunchback.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Phylodox posted:

I will agree with this right up to the point where Martin Short’s character pops up. Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I found his whole schtick grating and out of place and it kind of ruined the end of the movie for me. Like the gargoyles in Hunchback.

Martin Short is a terrorist in that movie. Never has a Genie ripoff been more obvious. Also Jim Hawkins is a loving racist. Only reason he sees Long John Silver as a surrogate father is because he's a human, unlike the Kevin Kline dogman who actually raised him. And his hair sucks too!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What are you talking about? Long John Silver's definitely not human in that movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He's like a hyena man.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm glad it wasn't just me.

I do like that Milo, Jim, and Cale all have more or less the same haircut, give or take a rat tail and varying amounts of stylization.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Pick posted:

What are you talking about? Long John Silver's definitely not human in that movie.

His only non human features are pointy ears. He's certainly more human than dogman, or the spider alien Jim insults for no reason when they first meet. Imagine being raised by one of those. Gross!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Macaluso posted:

I checked wiki and this is apparently made by a Chinese studio (subsidiary of Sony?) , so they are likely targeting the Chinese market more. It also lists the dragon voice acted by Jackie chan but I don't think that was him?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

pospysyl posted:

His only non human features are pointy ears.

He 100% has a dog nose.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
"Long" John Silver is a member of the alien race Ursids as well as a cyborg, case closed

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

"Long" John Silver is a member of the alien race Ursids as well as a cyborg, case closed

I could go on a SMG tirade on how the Ursids are a tribe of humans from a different planet, but I don't care that much.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dude is clearly an alien, with about the same level of human-ish features as dog man and cat lady.

In fact, he looks like he could be the same species as either the cat or dog person, maybe he's a hybrid?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
he's got like, paws a paw

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Someone in this thread once linked a video of Jacquimo from Thumbelina synced up with that Eminem song from the "You just posted in the wrong neighborhood" meme and it was hilarious, i wish I could find it again

The goon who posted it might have also made the video? Idk

What I'm saying is my life has been incomplete since that video disappeared

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Atlantis had the kind of premise, plot, and cast that would've made a killer limited TV series. But it came along before Avatar proved that serial adventure cartoons could succeed. Its short running time ruined it, but that's the compromise it probably had to make in order to exist at all.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hedrigall posted:

God I love when an extremely small wiki for a dead property does stuff like custom cursors for zero reason.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Boxman posted:

I do like that Milo, Jim, and Cale all have more or less the same haircut, give or take a rat tail and varying amounts of stylization.

Blame the late 90s/early 2000s. I too had this hairstyle, and was also really into boys who did. Oh JTT. :allears:

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Hedrigall posted:

Atlantis is missing like a 20 minute chunk of adventures on the submarine that would have made it one of the best animated adventure films.

Without a middle act it feels so rushed.

I thought I remember hearing that is was more like, they spent the entire pre-production creating this Harryhausen style adventure movie, with episodic events before they arrive at their destination. Complete with trials among four elemental gods (Earth, Fire, Water, Air) that would have to be traversed in their submarine. Then a brand new executive had no idea what the film even was, and was upset that their "Atlantis" movie barely had Atlantis in it. So he forced them to make an 11th hour change to get them to Atlantis in Act 1, forcing them to create 2 brand new acts worth of story with the assets/designs they already had.

And ironically, this wasn't Katzenberg (god, late Eisner Disney was a goddamn mess).

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Boxman posted:

It would be fun to see these three try to start a band or something. I'm sensing a possiblity for chemistry in there, in a very tropey way. The Leader, the Smart One, the Rebel.

...who's the first guy again?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

paradoxGentleman posted:

It would be fun to see these three try to start a band or something. I'm sensing a possiblity for chemistry in there, in a very tropey way. The Leader, the Smart One, the Rebel.

...who's the first guy again?

The hero of Titan AE.

the harvest
May 29, 2020

by Reene
bakshi hates spirit: stallion of the cimarron, because the horses talk. he loves finding nemo, where the fish talk; apparently this is fine and acceptable. but he's mentioned his dislike of spirit in three separate interviews, possibly more. the horses talk, they also eat apples straight off the tree (apparently real horses don't do this) and it really bothers him. he can't accept it. he won't

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

The_Doctor posted:

The hero of Titan AE.

The true hero of Titan AE is anyone who sits through the entire movie

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

the harvest posted:

bakshi hates spirit: stallion of the cimarron, because the horses talk. he loves finding nemo, where the fish talk; apparently this is fine and acceptable. but he's mentioned his dislike of spirit in three separate interviews, possibly more. the horses talk, they also eat apples straight off the tree (apparently real horses don't do this) and it really bothers him. he can't accept it. he won't

The horses don't talk in Spirit. They narrate but they don't actually open their mouth and talk

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Hedrigall posted:

The horses don't talk in Spirit. They narrate but they don't actually open their mouth and talk

And only one narrates at that. We never hear the thoughts of anyone besides Spirit himself.

Is he talking about the tv show maybe? They might talk in that, idk.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bongo Bill posted:

Atlantis had the kind of premise, plot, and cast that would've made a killer limited TV series. But it came along before Avatar proved that serial adventure cartoons could succeed. Its short running time ruined it, but that's the compromise it probably had to make in order to exist at all.

Weirdly enough the straight to video sequel to Atlantis is basically built out of some episodes they made for a TV series.

Kinda feels like the swan song of 2D animation was full of beautiful messes.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/laikastudios/status/1264272346614910976?s=21

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That studio is donezo right? I really wish they found a huge hit because I absolutely love their stop motion stuff. It’s very pretty.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Atlantis is good fun, has too many characters I think. You don't really need the mole man or the grandma or Ernest.

Treasure Planet kicks rear end, I love that movie to death, I will forever be sad that it bombed in theaters

the harvest posted:

Maybe he just hates horses, and honestly same

Ednamamame
Dec 12, 2019

Pyrotoad posted:

And only one narrates at that. We never hear the thoughts of anyone besides Spirit himself.

Is he talking about the tv show maybe? They might talk in that, idk.

Nope, that's tween girl horse adventures in a very sanitised Wild West, but no talking horses. I only watched the first few seasons, which are actually rather charming, but man was the Spirit brand just shoehorned on there. Spirit is now paling around with tweens and having cute slice of life adventures. Wait, being wild and free and not letting anyone ride him except that one time was the whole point of the movie? Actually it's his son, it's fine.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Boxman posted:

So, can someone convince me that Atlantis is a hidden gem?

I don't think Atlantis is a hidden gem. Maybe underappreciated? It's good movie that I found fun and entertaining, and I love the art. Kida is rarely ever acknowledged as a Disney Princess though, and that sucks since she's great. I might be biased in my appreciation for Atlantis because it gives off heavy Avatar vibes imo—the James Cameron movie, not the animated show—and I'm a Cameron fanboy that loves Avatar so :v:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Neon Noodle posted:

The true hero of Titan AE is anyone who sits through the entire movie

I can’t be the only person who actually likes Titan AE, can I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Atlantis was too early, if it came out after ATLA, it would've been an incredible mini-series instead of a too-crowded movie.