Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kart Barfunkel posted:

You’re right, I mixed up neoliberal with liberal which Padme definitely is and is shown in this scene. Long, hot day.

To answer the Neoliberal question, it’s the inciting incident and the lead antagonizing force of the first film. They’re called the Trade Federation and they have their own chair in the senate and nobody says poo poo about it. In the second film they team up with other companies and form a council of bad guys. They use their financial power to buy a big army of robots and start a big war. What happened to them?

The criticism of neolib policies and how they tie into Palpatine’s plans does require some more subtextual reading in the films, but just surface level viewing it clearly doesn’t favor them.

https://youtu.be/4MdUrh7iZMU

Okay. Previously I've been addressing an argument that the prequels are a leftist tract. In this leftist read, the Republic is a liberal democracy that falls to fascist Empire because of the inherent contradictions of liberalism: in particular, that such a democracy will be subverted by a ruling class that is inherently receptive to fascist takeover. I feel that this read is invalid in part because the movies instead subscribe to a mainstream liberal "great man" narrative. Palpatine is more akin to Satan or Napeoleon, an "individual [made] great instead of little by ascribing to him a personal power of initiative unparalleled in world history" as Marx describes the liberal view of history. It's also in part because many of the supposed hints that the Jedi are actually sinister are imaginary or require extremely selective reading: eg "From my point of view the Jedi are evil" being taken literally, ignoring the sinister framing.

This doesn't seem to be that, though. So can you lay out the argument you're making here more fully?

PittTheElder posted:

Also, leaving aside Anakin's weirdo politics and that really janky bug riding moment, these are genuinely cute moments between Anakin and Padme. Just for all those people who say they have zero chemistry.

I don't see it. This is a conversation with two awkward, stilted performances that don't play off each other (and are noticeably ADRed), glued together with a soundtrack that all but screams in your ear that you're supposed to see this as romantic.

The soundtrack for this scene is even named "Love Theme from Attack of the Clones"!

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I think it's insanely cool we all watched 12 hours worth of movies and then spent our entire lives hallucinating about what is right or wrong with them

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

FunkyAl posted:

I think it's insanely cool we all watched 12 hours worth of movies and then spent our entire lives hallucinating about what is right or wrong with them

Me too! :hfive:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Cease to Hope posted:

The soundtrack for this scene is even named "Love Theme from Attack of the Clones"!

Star-crossed lovers are the ones whose relationships are doomed, though?

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Here is my latest theory: every action in the star wars movies has an equal, inverse action in response to it. When george says, "it's like poetry, it rhymes," it is him describing a complex karmic idea wherein light and dark will never gain traction over each other, despite each reaching extremes of the human experience.

Luke dreams of being a jedi but we see that's a hard life, Anakin dreams of being back home, a life his son comes to hate. Obi Wan and Luke are an underdog team against a big establishment, like Maul and Palpatine, but instead of murdering his double Obi Wan instead sacrifices himself to vader, enabling his eventual redemption. And it goes on.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The politics of Lucas’ Star Wars movies are written in stories/myths that repeat throughout human history. That’s why they work and resonate. They’re vague enough to remain relevant and have the audience apply the current power structures onto them. The prequels take from the fall of the Weimar Republic, late Rome, and easily apply to the US. George got into some hot water when Sith came out saying that he was being too critical of Bush. It can easily be read as such, just as easily as he said it was Nixon he was using as Palpatine. Just as easily as Sheev could be many other Great Men figures.

The Trade Federation is just as much the Dutch East India Company as it is Amazon.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The politics of Lucas’ Star Wars movies are written in stories/myths that repeat throughout human history. That’s why they work and resonate. They’re vague enough to remain relevant and have the audience apply the current power structures onto them. The prequels take from the fall of the Weimar Republic, late Rome, and easily apply to the US. George got into some hot water when Sith came out saying that he was being too critical of Bush. It can easily be read as such, just as easily as he said it was Nixon he was using as Palpatine. Just as easily as Sheev could be many other Great Men figures.

The Trade Federation is just as much the Dutch East India Company as it is Amazon.

This is a broad-brush defense of the practice of interpreting film. I was asking for your specific interpretation.

Zoran posted:

Star-crossed lovers are the ones whose relationships are doomed, though?

...okay? I don't understand how this connects to me saying that this particular star-crossed romance is poorly acted and unconvincing.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Cease to Hope posted:

...okay? I don't understand how this connects to me saying that this particular star-crossed romance is poorly acted and unconvincing.

You were highlighting the name of the track, which seemed odd to me because the name refers to relationships that are bound to fail.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just rewatched Man of Steel and really enjoyed it.

Anyway, having reflected on the responses and feedback, I think it's clear that I wasn't paying as close attention as I thought. I would like to encourage both fans and, uh, not fans, to avoid accusing the other side of trying to make grand statements on the mindset of their opposites.

I'll try to be as impartial as I can be. I think it's no secret that my sympathies are towards the prequel fans, but luckily reignofevil is my opposite in that regard. Please also don't feel shy about reporting people if you think they're being disruptive. I don't think anybody here is really doing anything that needs to be punished on a regular basis, but there are new people that wander in all the time. Not all of them interested in being nice, as we've seen before.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Roth posted:

I think it's no secret that my sympathies are towards the prequel fans, but luckily reignofevil is my opposite in that regard.

I sense that balance in the force has been established.

I have a weird memory of the prequels. I think Revenge of the Sith was the first Star Wars I saw (I have no memory of my opinion of it), and as a kid every time I tried to rent episode 1 and 2 on video my family would watch them and return them without me. My main knowledge of Star Wars until the Force Awakens came out was from Lego Star Wars.

But for some reason I love reading prequels discourse. Why??? What is wrong with me??

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Metis, have you heard the story of Prequels the Good?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

reignofevil posted:

I'd put forward to strengthen Ceases' argument all of the times we did the merry-go-round in this thread about how the prequels are actually about showing the Jedi as corrupt guardians of a decrepit system and that really we're supposed to see them as villainous the same way we do the sith when in fact this is just outright ignoring that when george lucas showed us all the jedi dying and he set it to sad music and he titled his series as a tragedy because he genuinely believed it was about good people falling to ill circumstance. Like many other tragedies.

When the film asks us to be sad that all the Jedi are being shot in the back, it's not a contradiction of the idea that the Jedi as an institution are corrupt and decaying. It's yet another reminder that there are heroes on both sides, and the betrayal is a betrayal of both sides - the sad, ominous music is extended to the subsequent scene where Anakin murders the separatist leaders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0AjA51Q38M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abhX0FgijKo

Whose death doesn't get a moment of silence? Mace "he's too dangerous to be kept alive" Windu's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1te1YMTH1Q

reignofevil posted:

Now why would someone deliberately ignore the mise en scene of a movie so they could work within a headcanon that lets them argue that the star wars prequels are thematically much deeper than anyone gave them credit for? I'd say it's because they are arguing from a predetermined position and are cherry picking evidence to try and create an alternative narrative that might suck less to an outside observer. Why you ask? I genuinely think it comes down to contrarianism and a love of argument and hell, same.

There is no "headcanon" in that there is always a "headcanon" and you're just more or less willing to accept and examine the preconceptions you're taking while watching the movie. Other people have reality mediated through perception of phenomena, I have direct access to the object etc etc.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Lampsacus posted:

Oh nice post. Thank you. It makes me long for a prequel opera. I feel they would make a great thee/four hour full cast orchestra opera.

You may say this in jest, but I echo it earnestly. I would love to see this live. It would be glorious.

Roth posted:

I just rewatched Man of Steel and really enjoyed it.

Man of Steel owns. It's superhero opera, and opera is extremely my jam.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

josh04 posted:

When the film asks us to be sad that all the Jedi are being shot in the back, it's not a contradiction of the idea that the Jedi as an institution are corrupt and decaying. It's yet another reminder that there are heroes on both sides, and the betrayal is a betrayal of both sides - the sad, ominous music is extended to the subsequent scene where Anakin murders the separatist leaders.

You took a scene where the Jedi are shot in the back by their erstwhile allies, faceless soldiers, at the order of an evil wizard who all but cackles as he issues the order, and your takeaway is "heroes on both sides"?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Cease to Hope posted:

You took a scene where the Jedi are shot in the back by their erstwhile allies, faceless soldiers, at the order of an evil wizard who all but cackles as he issues the order, and your takeaway is "heroes on both sides"?

Well, certainly fewer heroes afterwards - but let's not forget The Assassination of General Grievous by the Coward Ben Kenobi.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

josh04 posted:

Well, certainly fewer heroes afterwards - but let's not forget The Assassination of General Grievous by the Coward Ben Kenobi.

This what I'm talking about when I talk about galaxy-brain poo poo. Grievous's entire character is old-timey villain cliches and you're still out here insisting he's nuanced somehow.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

To be clear, I'm not suggesting there are heroes on Palpatine's side. The suggestion is that the war had heroes on both sides who have been tragically manipulated, and as Sidious is making his play they are being massacred, Jedi and Separatist alike.

Cease to Hope posted:

This what I'm talking about when I talk about galaxy-brain poo poo. Grievous's entire character is old-timey villain cliches and you're still out here insisting he's nuanced somehow.

Cliches don't make you a villain - watch this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rYitIMujls

Grievous, seeing how casually Obi-wan murders his guards, challenges him in single combat to save the rest of the droids. In what interpretation of this scene does Grievous behave villainously?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

https://www.starwars.com/video/heroes-on-both-sides-episode-featurette

Here’s Dave Filoni, basically Lucas’ protege, talking about the concept of ‘heroes on both sides’ line, for the episode of Clone Wars with the same name.

The full line is “There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere.”

Dave’s explanation: “If Count Dooku claims to have left the Republic because an evil Sith Lord is control of the senate and he sways the good senators to leave the republic on the grounds that the republic is corrupt, that’s exactly true.”

The arc of that story is Padme going into proctor some treaty with a separatist planet while Ahsoka gets a crush on one.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Can someone who has watched the Clone Wars tell me if they ever do the scene where Count Dooku trains Grievous in the Jedi arts? Because that poo poo sounds hilarious.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

josh04 posted:

Can someone who has watched the Clone Wars tell me if they ever do the scene where Count Dooku trains Grievous in the Jedi arts? Because that poo poo sounds hilarious.

Sadly they don’t share much screen time together. He does in the 2D one, but that Grievous is basically a different character entirely.

https://youtu.be/I-CLZamrhtE

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

josh04 posted:

Grievous, seeing how casually Obi-wan murders his guards, challenges him in single combat to save the rest of the droids. In what interpretation of this scene does Grievous behave villainously?

The part where he gratuitously threatens his allies, then abandons them as soon as he starts to lose. Plus he doesn't actually show any concern for the fates of his guards, I dunno where you're getting that nonsense.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

https://www.starwars.com/video/heroes-on-both-sides-episode-featurette

Here’s Dave Filoni, basically Lucas’ protege, talking about the concept of ‘heroes on both sides’ line, for the episode of Clone Wars with the same name.

Filoni is his own person, and Clone Wars is a separate thing, often playing off of the failings of the prequels and trying to reframe them. It's interesting, but it's a separate work on its own terms.

Like you said, Grievous is an entirely different character in different works.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

General Grievous is my hero. So is Wat Tambor. We just read different Holonews.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I will probably watch RotS today.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Nute Gunray did nothing wrong.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Um, what? The music playing while anakin kills the separatists is parts from duel of the fates, or the imperial march. Nothing about the music playing while he's killing them is sad. It's not even kind of comparable to the music while he kills the younglings.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Duel of the Fates is an exciting song, but it's also a sad song. It's also heard when Anakin rides off to hunt down his mother's abductors. It seems to indicate a major step in Anakin's path toward the Dark Side.

In hindsight, the duel in question is over whom Anakin is fated to be trained by - Qui-Gon, who is willing to defy Jedi Order dogma and follow his conscience, or Obi-Wan, who is not. When the song is reprised, it indicates a consequence of the outcome of that duel. When he experiences fear and anger that he can't quell, he gives into it, because he's taught that what a Jedi does is bury their feelings deep down; when he joins Palpatine to learn from him, he obeys and kills for him, because he's taught that what a Jedi does is obey and kill for their teacher.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

CainFortea posted:

Um, what? The music playing while anakin kills the separatists is parts from duel of the fates, or the imperial march. Nothing about the music playing while he's killing them is sad. It's not even kind of comparable to the music while he kills the younglings.

We were talking about Order 66, not the younglings.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

josh04 posted:

We were talking about Order 66, not the younglings.

Okay. That still doesn't make it sad music.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It is ominous though

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

Nute Gunray did nothing wrong.

Trusting an evil wizard to not betray him was not the brightest move.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

2house2fly posted:

It is ominous though

Well, yea.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cease to Hope posted:

Trusting an evil wizard to not betray him was not the brightest move.

He helped bring down an evil capitalist empire, though...

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

He also has one of the best reactions in the entire PT when Padme gets sliced

drat, I love the prequels!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

He helped bring down an evil capitalist empire, though...

Pretty sure you're misremembering the original trilogy there.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Cease to Hope posted:

Pretty sure you're misremembering the original trilogy there.

Is the Trade Federation mentioned in the OT?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

To the extent that the Republic is the Empire, he didn't bring down an empire. To the extent that they aren't the same thing, he did.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think the Empire technically counts as capitalist. In the EU, they rely on nationalizing industries and direct resource grabs instead of commerce.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

Is the Trade Federation mentioned in the OT?

Turning a Republic into a fascist Empire isn't really "bringing down an evil capitalist empire." In fact, it is the opposite of that.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Eh, the empire is most likely a command economy; you don't hear anybody talking about the cost of the death star that got blown up or whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Some Goon posted:

Eh, the empire is most likely a command economy; you don't hear anybody talking about the cost of the death star that got blown up or whatnot.

Setting aside the EU like usual, the only thing we really know about the Empire's economy (remember that almost all of the talk of money changing hands is either on Tatooine or in the context of black markets!) is that it is an Empire. An Empire definitionally exploits a periphery to enrich the center of power. On top of this, every concrete example of exploitation in the Republic - slavery, the opulence of Coruscant contrasted with periphery places like Tatooine, hereditary royalty - still exists in the Empire, and indeed is often worse.

Nute Gunray is one of the main leaders of the only explicitly capitalist society, and they're annihilated in the prequels.