Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Terrifying Effigies posted:

It feels like there's way more 'mainstream' support for the current protests than what ended up happening at Ferguson. I'm hoping it means the years of effort are finally starting to pay off and it's not just a temporary thing.

I'm not sure. The mainstream support is due to very, very clear and convincing video of exactly what happened, from multiple angles and the police then lying about it. That type of immediate, visual confirmation hasn't really been around in these previous incidents, there's always been a lovely video or some nuance involved.

But with cell phones being even more everywhere than they were back in 2014 Ferguson, plus more cops carrying body cameras, there will be more videos like these.

Edit: gently caress, even the WeRateDogs dude just linked everyone to the Minnesota Freedom Fund.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Fallom posted:

the president of the United States switched to his alt to keep shitposting

Another :10bux: for the Treasury?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Cyrano is gonna have to IP ban him

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Woofer posted:

You cannot watch George Floyd get tortured to death for ten minutes by a cop who looked casual while doing it, with other cops standing by while he casually loving tortured a man to death who was begging for his life on video with witnesses, and justify it.

There is no ability to deny that this was anything but torture and murder. No plausible deniability or reasonable doubt can he conjured up this time. It’s loving impossible.

You want to go a long way to fixing things? Have the state give that guy the death penalty. I don’t think MN has a death penalty and I’m usually very against it.

But gently caress that guy. Don’t give him the needle. Go medieval and toss him in a deep pool with cinderblock feet. You could do that and he STILL won’t suffer as much as George Floyd did.

I will never, ever in my life, get the images and sounds of that video out of my head.

Lets not find a way to legally institute ad hoc implementations of capital punishment. More and more I think: write a UCMJ for cops, make law enforcement violations a federal crime. Let Terre Haute sort it out.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

piL posted:

Lets not find a way to legally institute ad hoc implementations of capital punishment. More and more I think: write a UCMJ for cops, make law enforcement violations a federal crime. Let Terre Haute sort it out.

I’m speaking mostly out of anger. The spirit of what I’m saying is what I want it to be but I admit to probably exaggerating things to make the point.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

EBB posted:

Cyrano is gonna have to IP ban him

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Woofer posted:

You cannot watch George Floyd get tortured to death for ten minutes by a cop who looked casual while doing it, with other cops standing by while he casually loving tortured a man to death who was begging for his life on video with witnesses, and justify it.

There is no ability to deny that this was anything but torture and murder. No plausible deniability or reasonable doubt can he conjured up this time. It’s loving impossible.

You want to go a long way to fixing things? Have the state give that guy the death penalty. I don’t think MN has a death penalty and I’m usually very against it.

But gently caress that guy. Don’t give him the needle. Go medieval and toss him in a deep pool with cinderblock feet. You could do that and he STILL won’t suffer as much as George Floyd did.

I will never, ever in my life, get the images and sounds of that video out of my head.

See, I'm generally against capital punishment as well but in cases where the criming is done by a state actor they're acting not just against the proximate victim (as with a normal criminal) but against the right of the citizenry to expect a just state (and therefore against the very possibility of a society).

A Color Of Law kicker should bump the class by two or three and, in case of murder (which this loving well is) he should get to dance the Newgate Hornpipe.

Not that people in the U.S. (especially those darker than "Fawn") actually expect a just state at this point.

:shrug:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

So the “when the looting starts, the shooting starts...” tweet?

Apparently the origin of this quote “when the looting starts, the shooting starts” was from a Miami police chief, Walter Headley, who did use that quote in 1967 to tell his police force to start shooting looters. He also was quoted to have said that he didn’t care if it was viewed as police brutality because he wasn’t going to tolerate looting. This police chief was a raging racist based on what I’ve read about him... obviously. Assuming Trump knows the origin of the phrase he’s using, then he is encouraging the shooting of looters by police. I’ve heard many people say it was him saying the looters will start shooting as they escalate. Even before researching the origin of that phrase, I did try and see it from both perspectives but ended up interpreting it as him calling for the looters to be shot. That’s just not it. Our president is, as usual, coming off as racist, causing division, and just overall not portraying himself as being a good human being. If Trump didn’t mean for it to come off the same way as Walter Headley, then it would be in his best interest to clarify that. He won’t though.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Blind Rasputin posted:

If Trump didn’t mean for it to come off the same way as Walter Headley,

RON HOWARD VOICE: He did.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

piL posted:

Indiana? I'm missing something i think...regional fbi hq or something?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Cop is in custody. Four days late.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Stravag posted:

Indiana? I'm missing something i think...regional fbi hq or something?

Federal death row (Special Confinement Unit).

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

Federal death row (Special Confinement Unit).

Ah ok thanks

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Woofer posted:

Three to go.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That loving rear end in a top hat killed that dude with his hands casually in his pockets. He looked completely nonplussed about the entire ordeal. gently caress him.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Woofer posted:

Just wait n’ see when the autopsy comes out and its excited delirium or heart issues or whatever that were contributing. I’m not sure of MN law but if they overcharge it can make getting a conviction improbable. What does state law say in terms of indifference/neg homicide(if it is either the excited delirium or something else besides the sheer pressure applied to the neck?)? The whole angle where the deceased and the perpetrator apparently knew each their from a security job at a night club makes things super weird.

I know after the fact the feds could pull the whole deprivation under color of authority or whatever...

He’s most likely in custody at this time as an attempt to say “look we’re doing something”.

I wonder how many cops standing there in a riot line are thinking “I should’ve been a firefighter” at this point in time, or considering a career change.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dingleberry posted:

He’s most likely in custody at this time as an attempt to say “look we’re doing something”.

It's this. You should probably do this before several days of inaction lead to riots.

e:

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1266392755351191553?s=20

:thunk:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 29, 2020

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Dingleberry posted:

Just wait n’ see when the autopsy comes out and its excited delirium or heart issues or whatever that were contributing. I’m not sure of MN law but if they overcharge it can make getting a conviction improbable. What does state law say in terms of indifference/neg homicide(if it is either the excited delirium or something else besides the sheer pressure applied to the neck?)? The whole angle where the deceased and the perpetrator apparently knew each their from a security job at a night club makes things super weird.

I know after the fact the feds could pull the whole deprivation under color of authority or whatever...

I wonder how many cops standing there in a riot line are thinking “I should’ve been a firefighter” at this point in time, or considering a career change.

As a former LEO, I guarantee at least half of em. I know I wish I did. And I'm gonna go ahead and guess that all but the few psychopaths wanna kick that cops rear end for causing all this and making them deal with riot duty.

I'm still lurk on cop forum and the overwhelming majority of the guys on there want this guy arrested for murder, are saying how cops like them make it worse for everyone else, and how hosed up it is that none of the other cops intervened.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Bored As gently caress posted:

And I'm gonna go ahead and guess that all but the few psychopaths wanna kick that cops rear end for causing all this and making them deal with riot duty.

If you want to show me that cops care and it really is just a few bad apples, then this would happen.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dingleberry posted:

my immediate thought was 'protective custody'

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

As a former LEO, I guarantee at least half of em. I know I wish I did. And I'm gonna go ahead and guess that all but the few psychopaths wanna kick that cops rear end for causing all this and making them deal with riot duty.

I'm still lurk on cop forum and the overwhelming majority of the guys on there want this guy arrested for murder, are saying how cops like them make it worse for everyone else, and how hosed up it is that none of the other cops intervened.

dude if cops felt this way then they should have loving arrested him but they loving didn't. there were multiple cops sitting around during the murder and afterwards, and then they defended him in his house instead of arresting him.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 29, 2020

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

https://twitter.com/the_savageroom/status/1266076722279206914?s=21

This comes off as a statement of solidarity and not just protection.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Honestly, I picture the "good cops" that everyone loves to talk about as the 3 guys that stood there and let the "bad cop" kill a guy. They're 100% seeing the poo poo the bad cops are doing and they just stand there and do nothing about. Doesn't sound very good to me.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

fknlo posted:

Honestly, I picture the "good cops" that everyone loves to talk about as the 3 guys that stood there and let the "bad cop" kill a guy. They're 100% seeing the poo poo the bad cops are doing and they just stand there and do nothing about. Doesn't sound very good to me.

protections for cops come from the top down with qualified immunity while the responsibility is bottom up with no state or federal oversight, national standard etc. The system does not allow you to be a good cop because there is literally no way to do so. If a cop had prevented this murder by arresting the other cop, HE would have been harassed, stalked by other cops until he quit and moved states.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I want to run for sheriff so that I'm legally allowed to form a posse, just show up and deputize the entire riot

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

PookBear posted:

dude if cops felt this way then they should have loving arrested him but they loving didn't. there were multiple cops sitting around during the murder and afterwards, and then they defended him in his house instead of arresting him.

I'm just talking about what front line officers think. There's, to my knowledge, no administration at all on the forum. Idk if there are any cops from the Twin cities at all. If there are, they haven't been posting.

And those other 3 cops should be charged as well. That they didn't intervene is hosed.

And I agree with you, but the reality is, it doesn't matter what the front line officer thinks in a situation like this. If they're ordered to go defend him in his house (which, to be honest, the guy was loving stupid to even be there, what the gently caress was he thinking? Did he not remember that officers houses have been targeted after poo poo like this? Besides being a murderer he's loving stupid too), they have to.

Things like charging him take time. If none of this poo poo happened, I'm betting either 1) the state AG would've charged him, or 2) the DOJ/FBI would've gotten involved. Apparently the local DA is a complete shitbag gently caress who, during the riots, actually said "there may not be enough evidence to charge him." Lol what? gently caress him. Robert Evans tweeted about it perfectly saying basically "Well that's one way to throe gasoline on the fire."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level faggotry right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?
The other cops couldn't be hosed to even stop Officer Shithead (not saying his name) from murdering George Floyd so. . . good cops indeed.

It didn't need to be from a "you are morally wrong, stop it" standpoint. It could have just been "hey Officer Shithead, this doesn't look good, and there's cameras on us. I don't want to deal with paperwork, let's get this guy in the cruiser." But from what has been released so far, they didn't. So gently caress them all.

I have no doubt that there are people that become cops for good reasons. I don't think it's possible to STAY a cop and hold onto those good reasons, because you either turn into a piece of poo poo, or the other pieces of poo poo keep you from being a "good cop."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

And I agree with you, but the reality is, it doesn't matter what the front line officer thinks in a situation like this. If they're ordered to go defend him in his house (which, to be honest, the guy was loving stupid to even be there, what the gently caress was he thinking? Did he not remember that officers houses have been targeted after poo poo like this? Besides being a murderer he's loving stupid too), they have to.

It's almost as if he somehow knew he'd have the protection and support of his leadership and fellow officers.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

https://twitter.com/katyturnbc/status/1266431160290283520?s=21

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Two of those cops actively helped with the murder while the third stood there and watched. It's not just a lack of intervention it's actively participating in the murder of the man named George Floyd

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Pretty sure murdercop is only "in custody" so that they don't have to tie up 50+ personnel guarding his house, but maybe that's just me. He hasn't been charged, right?

e: too slow

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

egyptian rat race posted:

Pretty sure murdercop is only "in custody" so that they don't have to tie up 50+ personnel guarding his house, but maybe that's just me. He hasn't been charged, right?

https://twitter.com/katyturnbc/status/1266431160290283520?s=21

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

609.195 MURDER IN THE THIRD DEGREE.
(a) Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years.

(b) Whoever, without intent to cause death, proximately causes the death of a human being by, directly or indirectly, unlawfully selling, giving away, bartering, delivering, exchanging, distributing, or administering a controlled substance classified in Schedule I or II, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years or to payment of a fine of not more than $40,000, or both.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.195

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Curious if actual investigation will lead to an upgrade of charges if they find something related to their time as coworker.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Would it have been murder 2 if standing on his neck for like 10 minutes killed him instead of 5?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Internet Wizard posted:

Two of those cops actively helped with the murder while the third stood there and watched. It's not just a lack of intervention it's actively participating in the murder of the man named George Floyd

Yup. They all need to be charged for murder.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Murder 3 is a joke. I hope charges can be increased and this is just some stupid legal red tape.

Are you telling me that he was just trying to make him hold his breath? Strengthen his neck muscles? Did he need to get his chap stick out of his pocket?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Godholio posted:

Curious if actual investigation will lead to an upgrade of charges if they find something related to their time as coworker.

Watch it be him trying to cover up a lesser crime by killing the witness. It’s 2020 after all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Betting he'll get found guilty and given a 5 year sentence, later paroles for good behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sounds like they were no angels!

:ohdear: