Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RIP Pitbull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jesus WEP posted:

hey sock good to see you round
:3: Thank you! I missed talkin' to y'all.

Flight Bisque posted:

Ciclope

THAT'S NOT CICLOPE! :aaa:
I never get tired of this gag.

Though I do feel a little bad for Ciclope that his biggest moment in US wrestling took place without him even being present.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Hold 1
Armdrag

Hold 2
ArmBAAAAAARRRRRR

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Hey scoopman, how did Hulk Hogan manage to beat Paul Wight aka The Giant aka the Big Show, who was Andre the Giant's son, in a fight when Hogan's punches were so weak and Paul Wight was so much stronger than him?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

davidbix posted:

The case was so strong that at least one wrestler (Rick Reeves) who had basically no contact with WCW got the same massive settlement as everyone else.

Who is Rick Reeves even? When you google him all that comes up is the lawsuit and he's not on cagematch or anything else that I can find.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

syzpid posted:

Who is Rick Reeves even?
This is probably him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvGbohXqt10

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

I doubt it? The lawsuit says Rick Reeves started wrestling in 92.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I preferred Robby Mortimer

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

syzpid posted:

I doubt it? The lawsuit says Rick Reeves started wrestling in 92.
I don't remember this...do you remember which doc this was in so I could pull it up?

I was under the impression that he WAS "Hard Rock" Ricky Reeves.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm a little late, but yeah, if you don't understand what Heyman saw in Shane Douglas, go watch old ECW, especially from summer 94

They pretty much put an entire shift in the company's image, and a huge shift at that, on the back of one worker giving one promo, and Shane Douglas managed to pull it off

That's not exactly nothing

e: like, imagine you're watching ECW on TV at the time, or going through it in order now not really knowing what you're getting, and then after a whole bunch of episodes of kinda-generic 90s indie stuff, you get this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kpEjrKqf3s

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Prime Shane Douglas is good to great in a vacuum. I could easily see him as being a solid upper mid carder in like 90s WWF if used correctly.

IMO, his biggest issue was his own lack of self awareness about his drawing ability and charisma. He saw himself as a Ric Flair when he's really like a poor man's HHH. If he stopped being so full of himself and more or less "stayed in his lane" i think his current reputation would be much better. But like many of the ECW originals, they've been clinging on to that mid 90s glory and gassing themselves up on that brush with mainstream relevance.

He was the 90s version of an actual B+ player who's deluded himself into thinking he's an A+.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Me
I wish the scoopsman would come back

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

davidbix posted:

I don't remember this...do you remember which doc this was in so I could pull it up?

I was under the impression that he WAS "Hard Rock" Ricky Reeves.

It's from this case text https://casetext.com/brief/reeves-v-world-championship-et-al_response

It says that he wrestled in Mid South Wrestling in the 90s and was also a champion for Boulware Wrestling Association. He apparently showed up for 4 years worth of tapings, and was never used. Also it appears that Terry Taylor and Jody Hamilton both basically told him "We've already got enough of your kind". So I think it's a different Rick Reeves.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
lol 4 years of catering, that's the good life.

I bet like 2 years into it, he probably stopped showing up altogether and no one noticed

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Hirez posted:

lol 4 years of catering, that's the good life.

I bet like 2 years into it, he probably stopped showing up altogether and no one noticed

He was never under contract, so he wasn't paid for any of it. But yea, I have my doubts that he kept showing up for 4 years worth of tapings. I feel like he would have been thrown out at some point. I don't think Ole was in charge for that long, so you've got to wonder how he even kept getting the okay to show up.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

You ever get the impression Terry Tailor has too many teeth in his head?

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

syzpid posted:

He was never under contract, so he wasn't paid for any of it. But yea, I have my doubts that he kept showing up for 4 years worth of tapings. I feel like he would have been thrown out at some point. I don't think Ole was in charge for that long, so you've got to wonder how he even kept getting the okay to show up.

I'm really struggling with the idea of a backstage environment so racist that a black wrestler's opportunities for advancement dry up due to the absence of Ole Anderson.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Just happened to catch this clip on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/MickstapeShow/status/1262759896040132608

Babyface Lex Luger, Sting, Dusty Rhodes, so I'm guessing 1988.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Quote is not edit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Just happened to catch this clip on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/MickstapeShow/status/1262759896040132608

Babyface Lex Luger, Sting, Dusty Rhodes, so I'm guessing 1988.

lmao holy poo poo this is great

dusty's got good form

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

DJExile posted:

lmao holy poo poo this is great

dusty's got good form

Tracked down what this was:

January 1988 wrestlers vs. Charlotte police. They did a few of these. I've seen a photo of Dusty driving to the basket in Atlanta. Lineup included Dusty, Nikita Koloff, Road Warriors, Italian Stallion, Jimmy Garvin, Barry Windham, Ricky Morton, Robert Gibson, New Breed, Tim Horner, Sting, Precious, Jimmy Valiant and Brad Armstrong. Luger's not mentioned, but he might not have been a babyface yet when the event was organized.

Looks like the other two on the floor at that time were Italian Stallion and either Koloff or Animal.

I need to see more footage of this, especially if it contains Jimmy Valiant.

Edit: THERE IS MORE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8JHoywBdHQ&t=415s

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 29, 2020

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

iamsosmrt posted:

Prime Shane Douglas is good to great in a vacuum. I could easily see him as being a solid upper mid carder in like 90s WWF if used correctly.

IMO, his biggest issue was his own lack of self awareness about his drawing ability and charisma. He saw himself as a Ric Flair when he's really like a poor man's HHH. If he stopped being so full of himself and more or less "stayed in his lane" i think his current reputation would be much better. But like many of the ECW originals, they've been clinging on to that mid 90s glory and gassing themselves up on that brush with mainstream relevance.

He was the 90s version of an actual B+ player who's deluded himself into thinking he's an A+.

Shane Douglas in ECW was the best example of Dancing Homer in real life.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

DDT Digest posted:

Mmm......Spice....

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

whatever happened to Spice. I hope she's living the best life.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coconono posted:

whatever happened to Spice. I hope she's living the best life.

She's a chiropractor now, iirc

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Randaconda posted:

She's a chiropractor now, iirc

From one scam to another

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

:wcw:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/RickRudeSells/status/1266789020983492608

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I'm not sure anybody appreciated Rude's atomic drop sells more than Sting. He always looks so pleased, or even delighted sometimes.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

watching old UFC during this whole situation and i'm reminded of Tank Abbott, who went from "the man Vince Russo wanted to put the title on" to "tagging along with 3 Count" in the span of a few months

god WCW was absurd

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

disaster pastor posted:

I'm not sure anybody appreciated Rude's atomic drop sells more than Sting. He always looks so pleased, or even delighted sometimes.

Taking joy in heels looking like complete idiots is an important part of being a babyface.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Shane Douglas in ECW was the best example of Dancing Homer in real life.

eeeeeehhhhhh.

it's not really the same because nothing about Shane Douglas was really exclusively what the Mutants liked. if he'd ended up somewhere else in his prime, he'd have probably done just as well. he just stuck with ECW through the entire period of time where he was actually good, and only ended up in the "big leagues" when he was starting to fall off.

i don't think Douglas is a GOAT candidate, but i think people have a tendency to wildly underrate his peak on the basis of how bad his trough was. dude was solid as hell when he needed to be.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Taking joy in heels looking like complete idiots is an important part of being a babyface.

There is something to this that both heels and babyfaces cget wrong a lot these days, making the former look like the un-fun kind of idiot and the babyface like a sadist.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

one of my faves Shane Douglas moments was an ECW show where he was commentating the main event from the Arena's Crow's Nest. Match goes to finish and he just throws one of the TV monitors into the audience. With an arm in one of those "your poo poo is real broken" sling

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo i need that superbrawl III shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Oh god, does that seriously say "squeeze me" on it