Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

seaborgium posted:

Yeah, that was pretty hosed up. Every woman Mat chases, even the ones who aren't interested, make it quite clear that he backs off if it's unwanted. He's flirty but not pushy at all, so it always boggled my mind how much Elayne and Nynaeve poo poo on him for it.

I mean they're legit two of the worst hypocrites of the series, and deliberately written that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Someone earlier mentioned it earlier, but it would’ve been cool to see Elayne’s conflict between being Aes Sedai and daughter-heir earlier in the series. Part of it’s just the change in time scale beginning in the middle of the books, but it feels like a long time from Morgase’s fall to where I am at the end of CoS. She keeps reminding everyone she’s the daughter-heir but even with the ability to make a gateway she’s uninterested in returning.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

silvergoose posted:

I mean they're legit two of the worst hypocrites of the series, and deliberately written that way.

Nynaeve at least has the excuse that she was The Boss of a small town with a rather prudish bent, and Mat was one of the people she was In Charge of. It is pretty related to the way she's overbearingly bossy because she had to assert her authority over people much older than herself at a very young age, and the way she becomes much more likeable once she learns how to surrender her authority.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Sure and if you squint at it, flip the script around a bit, reversing roles, it's basically the women using the "but he's a slut" argument on a dude.

It's not supposed to be comfortable!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm not sure if I buy the whole Stockholm Syndrome argument. I always had the impression he was into her legitimately.

But, apparently I blanked out the bit where she jams a dagger under his chin and says STRIP. NOW.

I dunno. Maybe it's intended to make people think twice about sex and power imbalances?

Or maybe RJ was right into dagger-chin loving

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i might be crazy but i'm pretty sure there's literally an interview where jordan says it's explicitly meant to come off as being uncomfortable and basically just flipping the roles to fit the setting. also i think all of the women realize that he's telling the truth after a bit and are 100% on his side?

and even beyond that, i'm thinking ahead to the inevitable show and how there'll probably be like 1000 ways for them to gently caress up that whole situation and i'm not looking forward to any of them.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i might be crazy but i'm pretty sure there's literally an interview where jordan says it's explicitly meant to come off as being uncomfortable and basically just flipping the roles to fit the setting.

Makes sense being one of the core themes of tWoT is reversing gender power roles.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mean i can get if someone thinks it's being a bit too flippant about the whole thing to some degree wrt certain characters and all that but it all kind of tracks with how abuse victims tend to get treated to whatever amount

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I hate Egwene the most.

Sure, Elayne is objectively the worst. No argument there. But at least she's always around Birgitte and Aviendha, and the Aiel Wise Ones, and Dyelin. Egwene, while less terrible, has a worse supporting cast and she has that "proves her worthiness for the Amyrlin Seat because she can withstand repeated spankings" bullshit going on and I just can't loving stand her.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I dunno. Maybe it's intended to make people think twice about sex and power imbalances?

From author interviews that was the intent, at least, to the extent that such matters, mostly in an attempt to defuse the later Tylin situation.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
The other thing is that Mat ends up marrying a dominatrix, and a lot of their interactions involve her trying to assert control over him only for him to slip out. Maybe Jordan just liked using Mat to depict that particular kink that he had?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The whole series is his kink fantasies. Imagine if he went with the adult version.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Johnny Joestar posted:

i mean i can get if someone thinks it's being a bit too flippant about the whole thing to some degree wrt certain characters and all that but it all kind of tracks with how abuse victims tend to get treated to whatever amount

That was always my take. People talk about the text being light on it—and it's been years for me so I don't actually remember the tone—but what I remember is a character being abused and everyone around him minimizing and invalidating that abuse, which is exactly something that happens to abuse victims.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Khizan posted:

I hate Egwene the most.

Sure, Elayne is objectively the worst. No argument there. But at least she's always around Birgitte and Aviendha, and the Aiel Wise Ones, and Dyelin. Egwene, while less terrible, has a worse supporting cast and she has that "proves her worthiness for the Amyrlin Seat because she can withstand repeated spankings" bullshit going on and I just can't loving stand her.

Despite all their flaws Egwene and Elayne both have one big thing going for them:

They're not Gawyn

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bloom posted:

Despite all their flaws Egwene and Elayne both have one big thing going for them:

They're not Gawyn

true, but if you rearrange gawyn you get agwyn which is basically egwene

checkmate

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

bloom posted:

They're not Gawyn

Gawyn is a big part of why Egwene is my least favorite.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mat’s sections of The Shadow Rising are so good. It’s like this clip, but the chores are all the battles to fight before he can run away.

https://youtu.be/AbSehcT19u0

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Speaking of Egwene and Gawyn, there's that bit in Lord of Chaos (ch.14) where she gets sucked into his dreams and keeps trying, and failing, to escape, until she just gives in and stays there the rest of the night. Thing is, she seems more and more affectionate towards them each time she fails to escape, and the Wise Ones did warn her that if you got caught in a person's dreams they could remake you if you stayed too long.

Am I the only one who thinks that Egwene's love for Gawyn is entirely because she failed to heed the Wise Ones and got warped by Gawyn's dreams about her into a woman who actually loved him?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

uhhhh, that's certainly a theory i hadn't heard before, i can't speak to anyone else though

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

jng2058 posted:

Speaking of Egwene and Gawyn, there's that bit in Lord of Chaos (ch.14) where she gets sucked into his dreams and keeps trying, and failing, to escape, until she just gives in and stays there the rest of the night. Thing is, she seems more and more affectionate towards them each time she fails to escape, and the Wise Ones did warn her that if you got caught in a person's dreams they could remake you if you stayed too long.

Am I the only one who thinks that Egwene's love for Gawyn is entirely because she failed to heed the Wise Ones and got warped by Gawyn's dreams about her into a woman who actually loved him?

yeah everyone else just thinks they were getting mad rutty

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Remind me; did they cast Elayne yet?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I thought it was funny that after Egwene finally becomes the Amyrlin Seat, she basically starts doing all the things that she'd criticised Rand for doing as a leader, and becomes absolutely full of herself.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

Remind me; did they cast Elayne yet?

I should think they must have, but theres been no announcement.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Egwene knows Gawyn for about two seconds before going off to galavant with Wise Ones, so of course they are soulmates. I think the only relationship that makes any fuckin sense in these books is Perrin’s. Possibly Min’s.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Invalid Validation posted:

Egwene knows Gawyn for about two seconds before going off to galavant with Wise Ones, so of course they are soulmates. I think the only relationship that makes any fuckin sense in these books is Perrin’s. Possibly Min’s.

Min is weird, because she speaks about two sentences to Rand, then the next time they meet literally crawls in bed with him. But in between those two events are months spent pondering the knowledge that she would, eventually, get in bed with him.

Min is just weird, in general, and kind of horrifying in the abstract.

Rand/Aviendha and Perrin/Faile are the only relationships in the book that really have the time to grow organically without any weird fate shenanigans.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Eh, they knew each other for several months at the Tower. Remember they bury some pretty large time skips in the first few books between the travel stones and time passing off screen between books.

Also they're horny kids who are like 19-21 when the series ends. Falling deeply in love with an idiot is par for the course.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

and i mean, it's love, there isn't some progress bar of required time together that's needed for that to occur. it's always going to be a bit outside the realm of logic

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Is it consensual if prophecy says you’re gonna bone?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Is it consensual if prophecy says you’re gonna bone?

that hurt my brain a little

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Just got to the part where Nynaeve heals stilling.

God, the Aes Sedai are just totally insufferable, aren't they? It's amazing to think how many problems they face throughout the series that could be solved if for one second any single one of them would just stop being absolute assholes to literally everyone.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

God, the Aes Sedai are just totally insufferable, aren't they? It's amazing to think how many problems they face throughout the series that could be solved if for one second any single one of them would just stop being absolute assholes to literally everyone.

*points helplessly around*

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I've posted it before, and I'll post it again, everything in the series could be solved by people just sitting down in a group therapy and being honest with each other. It's practically a premise of the series until Sanders takes over.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a small detail i constantly enjoy is the fact that two rivers bows are apparently loving monstrous and i can imagine one of them splitting through a dude's armor easily

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

One of my favourite little details is that there's a song called 'Only one bucket of water' which just sounds jolly as hell

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Khizan posted:

Gawyn is a big part of why Egwene is my least favorite.

I've been on and off listening to the wot spoilers podcast linked near the beginning of this thread and an interesting idea they float is that Jordan's original plan was to have Egwene hook up with Galad rather than Gawyn. Would have made for a better relationship imho.

Gawyn is just the worst

Johnny Joestar posted:

a small detail i constantly enjoy is the fact that two rivers bows are apparently loving monstrous and i can imagine one of them splitting through a dude's armor easily

The gently caress do they hunt in the Two Rivers anyway? They have insanely powerful long bows despite not having been involved in a war since Manetheren days. Pretty sure Eye of the World mentions that bears are fairly rare so the bows are serious overkill for whatever they usually shoot.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Sheep poachers

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

imagine trying to be the person telling everyone with bows that are taller than they are that maybe they don't need those bows that are taller than they are anymore

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I like by the end they have canons and fast loading crossbows and they’re like, who needs training? Just fire a million crossbow bolts and be done with it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

bloom posted:

I've been on and off listening to the wot spoilers podcast linked near the beginning of this thread and an interesting idea they float is that Jordan's original plan was to have Egwene hook up with Galad rather than Gawyn. Would have made for a better relationship imho.

Gawyn is just the worst
Gawyn's problem is that after the 2vs 1 quarterstaff duel, he has no purpose within the books to exist other than to be a complainer and vague killjoy. After floating in the wind for a while as a character, it's obvious Jordan hits on the idea of having a sort of "doomed love on either sides of the battlefield" between him and Egwene. But because the conflict never actually comes to battle, the only way it can be resolved is by him becoming a purposeless little turncoat.

Gawyn: betrays his country for the Tower, betrays the Tower for a woman, betrays the woman for futile pride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Johnny Joestar posted:

imagine trying to be the person telling everyone with bows that are taller than they are that maybe they don't need those bows that are taller than they are anymore

I liked the bit in The Great Hunt where some shienarans mock Rand's bow like "dude are you gonna hunt rabbits by hitting them over the head with that giant club?"