Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The giant rear end grill and plasticized brake ducts are garbage the rest looks decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Big Jesus posted:

Is there a reason the F10 M5s sell for around the same price as similar M3s? Looking for reliability issues shows they may have some oil consumption and battery voltage issues, whereas the M3s seem to not have much. These are the two leaders of my car search right now.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WBSFV9C55GD595513/?referrer_id=autotempest
https://www.atlantacargurus.com/det...source=cars.com

M3 all the way. It's not even a question.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mr. Apollo posted:

Another part of the 4er brochure.

What I don’t understand is how they put a license plate on the front and said “yeah this looks good.”

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

What I don’t understand is how they put a license plate on the front and said “yeah this looks good.”

No front plate state supremacy!

In current car news, I noticed when moving my car out of the garage that I had some oil drips, so I got my oil filter housing gasket replaced under warranty. The only booby prize to that is apparently they don't have to change the oil to do the work, so I still need to get around to changing that myself.

Also, the BMW CCA raffle started up for the year - https://www.bmwcca.org/raffle

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Alarbus posted:

No front plate state supremacy!

In current car news, I noticed when moving my car out of the garage that I had some oil drips, so I got my oil filter housing gasket replaced under warranty. The only booby prize to that is apparently they don't have to change the oil to do the work, so I still need to get around to changing that myself.

Also, the BMW CCA raffle started up for the year - https://www.bmwcca.org/raffle

I live in a no front plate too, but most of their customers (including i believe, all of Europe) don’t.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

fknlo posted:

M3 all the way. It's not even a question.

The only reason to get the M5 is if you need/want more space.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

I live in a no front plate too, but most of their customers (including i believe, all of Europe) don’t.

I know, it's the same state!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

while the 4er is indeed uggo, the bigger problem is that it's just going to be a bad car

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Alarbus posted:

I know, it's the same state!

:downs: whoops

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

while the 4er is indeed uggo, the bigger problem is that it's just going to be a bad car

And they’ll just stick this nose onto every other car they make

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Maybe they'll fix the numb bmw steering.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2004-bmw-x5-4-8is-2/?utm_source=transactionalemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bat_watched_listing_ended

Lol

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

More photos. I guess BMW released the embargo.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a32729913/2021-bmw-4-series-coupe-photos-info/

Bimmerpost has a bunch of info

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1726459

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 2, 2020

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I still want to see a poll by age on liking that fugly thing.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If it had literally any other grill from the history of BMW I'd like it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

that's like 3/4ths solid plastic.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

hifi posted:

It looks like it’s BMW’s active grille. You can see the slats that open and close behind the grille.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Mr. Apollo posted:

You can see the slats that open and close behind the grille.

Until about 6 weeks after the warranty runs out

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It pains me to say this but I would 100% rather drive a new mustang than ugly thing, it's really bad looking

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

lol. That price is hilarious compared to what E9x M3s are going for.

Also RIP this Alpina Z8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgiyUhfJ9TM&t=632s

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Residency Evil posted:

to be fair it probably looks better with a plate, to help break up that massive grill

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Blue On Blue posted:

to be fair it probably looks better with a plate, to help break up that massive grill

Too bad that's the only way they could accomplish that. We just don't have the technology yet. Or maybe Chevrolet threatened to sue for having a horizontal bar go across the front of the car? We'll never know.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

hifi posted:

The pedestrian ones are already so aggressive looking. What’s left? How’s this for a moonshot curveball (I daren’t torx myself)- the ///M versions will somehow, at a glance, be more restrained.

Moving on...

I’m playing wheelman in the e61 tomorrow for a local friend who bought an e39 wagon, 250 miles away, sight unseen. We’re headed from the finger lakes to just about the mason-dixon (see link) where the forecast says it’ll be in the 90s. This is assuredly the first time in a long time this car has been asked to drive 250 miles. Though it does look rather clean. Maybe it’s the beige all around.

Some questions-

*GDCS? bringing some distilled water (and a shitload of tools) with us.
*Is Waze back to being useful? I haven’t driven these kinds of interstate miles since early April- chasing e61 parts- where it was drat near useless. Any experience with the northeast corridors?
*Tools- INPA laptop is the most specialty tool slated, but did the e39 generation get in as heavy with etorx or straight up torx as the later generations?

It seems like the M54, no matter the state of disrepair and/or spit shine (someone ‘detailed’ the poo poo out of that car) won’t strand us. Barring the GDCS. Thoughts?

E: the more I’m thinking about this, the more I’m growing anxious about the GDCS.

glyph fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 3, 2020

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

glyph posted:

It seems like the M54, no matter the state of disrepair and/or spit shine (someone ‘detailed’ the poo poo out of that car) won’t strand us. Barring the GDCS. Thoughts?

E: the more I’m thinking about this, the more I’m growing anxious about the GDCS.

If it's not actively leaking/failed, 250 miles isn't that far. But it is the most likely "stranded" scenario on an unknown car.

Otherwise the M54 is unlikely to strand you. Keep an eye on the oil level tho.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

this may infact be the first time in history where people mod their car to eliminate more of the grill, rather than adding to it!

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I typically prefer the way black masks an oversized grille. Like Lexuses look pretty dece in black.

That front in all black is an atrocity.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Guinness posted:

If it's not actively leaking/failed, 250 miles isn't that far. But it is the most likely "stranded" scenario on an unknown car.

Otherwise the M54 is unlikely to strand you. Keep an eye on the oil level tho.

Good stuff. Thanks.

At least it has a loving dipstick.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheMadMilkman posted:

I typically prefer the way black masks an oversized grille. Like Lexuses look pretty dece in black.

That front in all black is an atrocity.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It somehow looks worse on the dark cars and I don't understand how.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I think everyone owes an apology to Bangle. Kidney brows suddenly don’t seem that offensive.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

glyph posted:

Good stuff. Thanks.

At least it has a loving dipstick.

Waze is pretty good from Philadelphia and south on 95. Haven't gone north in about a year or so, but it was more sparse then.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

fknlo posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. It somehow looks worse on the dark cars and I don't understand how.

The contrasting colors camouflage this terrible shape. And I will never unsee those lips now.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Me looking at this goatshit design and watching the E9x value jump by $5k overnight... Excellent, excellent

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Wonder how alpina will design the lines...

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Alpina has never designed poo poo since the mid 60's. They add like 3% horsepower and throw in $10k worth of cosmetic upgrades and upsell it for $100k. The End.

Or maybe I missed the Alpina M3

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

glyph posted:

I’m playing wheelman in the e61 tomorrow for a local friend who bought an e39 wagon, 250 miles away, sight unseen. We’re headed from the finger lakes to just about the mason-dixon (see link) where the forecast says it’ll be in the 90s. This is assuredly the first time in a long time this car has been asked to drive 250 miles. Though it does look rather clean. Maybe it’s the beige all around.

250 miles should be fine as others have mentioned. Basic tools and check all the fluids before you leave, then do another check about an hour into the drive. All my BMWs have been fly and drive and the only one that had any issues was the 320i that we did CA->WI->TN after it hadn't seen more than 50 miles at a time in several years and even that one made it.

Good luck, enjoy the drive.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

Alpina has never designed poo poo since the mid 60's. They add like 3% horsepower and throw in $10k worth of cosmetic upgrades and upsell it for $100k. The End.

Or maybe I missed the Alpina M3

alpina e30s were and still are, exceptionally cool poo poo

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

These brake disks are getting bigger and bigger

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Drove to KC today. Got between 25-28 mpg per fillup. So stage 1 can match factory mpg numbers even though it should be somewhere in the neighborhood of fahv hunnert horsepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Big Jesus posted:

Is there a reason the F10 M5s sell for around the same price as similar M3s? Looking for reliability issues shows they may have some oil consumption and battery voltage issues, whereas the M3s seem to not have much. These are the two leaders of my car search right now.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/WBSFV9C55GD595513/?referrer_id=autotempest
https://www.atlantacargurus.com/det...source=cars.com

Would the F10 be a better place to drop an LS motor when the S63 grenades?