Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Then again, this is the same country who elected Bush Jr. twice because "You don't switch horses midrace".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

how would edd (unemployment) know I went back to work? I’m only working twice a week so that alone won’t pay the bills. I get paid as a contractor

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoLogdbVS3U

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Are surgical masks objectively better than double ply cotton if the fit is equal?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Google Butt posted:

Are surgical masks objectively better than double ply cotton if the fit is equal?

No, especially not if you have a coffee filter between the cotton layers.

N95 is what you need to do better and then you erase most of the benefit if it has an outflow valve and if it doesn't those things get extremely uncomfortable.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: The first wave has to crest before you can have a second wave.
Spain crested two months ago.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Piggy Smalls posted:

how would edd (unemployment) know I went back to work? I’m only working twice a week so that alone won’t pay the bills. I get paid as a contractor

Not sure about in the US, but in Canada if you're working legally, tax money that's tied to your Social Insurance Number will be withdrawn from your pay and the government will be alerted that way (and you have to answer regular questionnaires about your current work status, and I imagine if you lie on them and get found out it's not going to go well for you).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Piggy Smalls posted:

in some states you still get unemployment if your hours are cut

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

euphronius posted:

in some states you still get unemployment if your hours are cut

Also worth mentioning (again, based off my experience in Canada), if you're worried about losing your new job soon, in some cases you can keep the EI active while not getting money from it. So you don't say "I have a permanent job, close my file", you say "I worked X number of hours this week" on every mandated EI report as if it was a one-off. Then they'll cut your EI payment (possibly 100% if you worked enough hours/earned enough), but if you get your hours severely cut or lose your job entirely then you don't have to re-apply and have a waiting period and what-have-you.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Summer is the worst season

Rhetoric-o-Tron
Jan 5, 2009

by Pragmatica
Fiancee is getting tested. She's had a cough for a week and chest pressure. Sounds progressively worse but she's low on comorbidity. I just woke up with my cheeks on fire, a little more of a wet cough than normal and almost chills -- I say almost because I can never really be too cold.

If I have COVID I'm going to become an antifa supersoldier later and then lick every flagpole in the state.

Open 'er up!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Google Butt posted:

The fit is not necessarily equal though. I favor a thin surgical mask that flexes/bends around your nose to a cotton mask that hangs loosely.

Grabnar
Nov 24, 2017

Rhetoric-o-Tron posted:

Fiancee is getting tested. She's had a cough for a week and chest pressure. Sounds progressively worse but she's low on comorbidity. I just woke up with my cheeks on fire, a little more of a wet cough than normal and almost chills -- I say almost because I can never really be too cold.

If I have COVID I'm going to become an antifa supersoldier later and then lick every flagpole in the state.

Open 'er up!

Why limit to one state? Flights are super cheap right now.

Don't let your dreams be dreams!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Subvisual Haze posted:

The fit is not necessarily equal though. I favor a thin surgical mask that flexes/bends around your nose to a cotton mask that hangs loosely.

I have a custom cotton mask with a channel that allows me to use a thick length of bailing wire for the nose strip.

Just got into the office and being in my own office really makes me feel safer. I did grab a legit 3m 8211 (outflow valve and gasket on the inside), which I will wear around non mask wearers because gently caress you. Haven't venture out onto the production floor yet, though. Feels very business as usual though

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Summer is the worst season

Yeah, it’s going to suck so bad when summer starts.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Yeah, it’s going to suck so bad when summer starts.

Legally speaking, summer started on 2020/05/22 here... and it hasn't been all that bad.

Okay so it's not great because I hate sunshine.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1268208853751136257?s=20

It's good that things are back to normal.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Can't wait for the videos of Rudy Gobert touching everyone's face.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Google Butt posted:

I have a custom cotton mask with a channel that allows me to use a thick length of bailing wire for the nose strip.

Just got into the office and being in my own office really makes me feel safer. I did grab a legit 3m 8211 (outflow valve and gasket on the inside), which I will wear around non mask wearers because gently caress you. Haven't venture out onto the production floor yet, though. Feels very business as usual though

They actually banned employees from using the exhalation valve masks at the healthcare system I work at. They do a good job of protecting the wearer, but by their design will do nothing to stop the wearer from spreading to others, which is a concern if you're potentially asymptomatic/presymptomatic but still contagious.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Im wearing my white posting shorts so it has to be summer.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

summer starts on memorial day weekend and ends on labor day, sorry that's just the facts

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Flunky posted:

summer starts on memorial day weekend and ends on labor day, sorry that's just the facts

wrong

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Subvisual Haze posted:

They actually banned employees from using the exhalation valve masks at the healthcare system I work at. They do a good job of protecting the wearer, but by their design will do nothing to stop the wearer from spreading to others, which is a concern if you're potentially asymptomatic/presymptomatic but still contagious.

Totally understand, I will only use it in the event that I'm around one other person who refuses to wear a mask.

Few hours into work and I actually feel much more comfortable than I expected, which is weird.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Azathoth posted:

lol it'll be hotter than an Olympic village

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Can the goons that had the Roner report back? wonder how many cases in SA

Hope they still alive

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
It's been a while since people have talked about Sweden, wonder what they're up to?

MiddleOne posted:

Okay so today a few thousand people gathered at Stockholm central plaza to demonstrate against police violence, guess what happened next :sweden:

https://twitter.com/ickemuzungu/status/1268234339340496903
Sweden truly is Little America.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Can the goons that had the Roner report back? wonder how many cases in SA

Hope they still alive
Nearly 36k reported.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

euphronius posted:

the vote got split by Perot

also he wasn’t right wing enough for chuds

that was still in a time of realignment tho so things were a bit strange

"Here’s the truth. Exit polls showed that Perot drew votes almost evenly from Clinton and Bush. In the states where Perot did the best—Texas and Florida—Bush still won and took all the Electoral College votes. The truth has hardly mattered to what has become known in political circles as the Perot Myth. "

https://www.texasmonthly.com/politics/george-hw-bush-lose-1992-reelection-ross-perot/

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

AceOfFlames posted:

No Masks, No Distancing, Hydroxychloroquine Only, Final Destination

lol

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Tickets come with a free pinesol injection at the door

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Piggy Smalls posted:

In all extreme seriousness, it won't . The unemployment system has no concept of how to deal with anyone who didn't work one job at one place for a long time. They're mystified by the concept of people working odd jobs or not receiving pay regularly. Working on a project for 10 weeks and only getting paid at completion - the system doesn't understand that at all. Make your decision around this

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mastershakeman posted:

In all extreme seriousness, it won't . The unemployment system has no concept of how to deal with anyone who didn't work one job at one place for a long time. They're mystified by the concept of people working odd jobs or not receiving pay regularly. Working on a project for 10 weeks and only getting paid at completion - the system doesn't understand that at all. Make your decision around this

Yeah, I don't push it because, well I don't want to get brought up on fraud, but I know I've fudged a couple weeks over the many times I've been on unemployment. It was either that or have no money until my first paycheck cleared.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I don't push it because, well I don't want to get brought up on fraud, but I know I've fudged a couple weeks over the many times I've been on unemployment. It was either that or have no money until my first paycheck cleared.

Its insanely stupid. You could have a job where you get paid up front or at the end $1k for 10 weeks of work. How do you account for that in their system, it's pretty much impossible

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was in the same boat, except I was regularly doing week long jobs for a small business which had a crazy cash flow problem and they often couldn't pay me for a few weeks or even a few months after completion.

In the end I just had to lie to the unemployment office about my hours and wait to invoice the company when they finally felt like paying me just to make sure the paper trail matched my claims.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

AceOfFlames posted:

:laffo:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mastershakeman posted:

Its insanely stupid. You could have a job where you get paid up front or at the end $1k for 10 weeks of work. How do you account for that in their system, it's pretty much impossible

I decided to look it up. I figured US Unemployment was designed around working conditions in say 1975, apparently it's part of the 1935 Social Security act :pusheen:

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Azathoth posted:

he probably inadvertently saves thousands of lives, being the impetus for the shutdown.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I'm back at work but still doing "distance learning" and I think my students parents are over this. Everyone is wearing a mask so it feels safe, custodians are wiping everything down. I am still waiting on how many students they will allow in the room.

One of my more difficult parents is a cop and after work I am going to walk over to the protest at the capitol. Maybe I'll see him!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The WA system could provide employer IDs, addresses and autofill out a bunch of the forms with my social security number, but also automatically disputed that I worked for them. :downs: I applied March 17th, I got my first check (with backpay) May 13th.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
TBH I'm gonna get clowned for this but my g/f, her sister and I are going to hit Disney in Halloween of 2020. We were originally going in May but of course that didn't happen.

I know it's not the best time to be going, but I hope we can have fun still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

AceOfFlames posted: