Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Saros posted:

Be nice guys we are all friends here.

:kiss:

lol this is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I can't get over how peak boomer that signature is. CUSTOMER SINCE 2003.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Jesus Christ. What the gently caress is wrong with these people? I go to reset my password (because for some reason it isn't working). It then brings me to some Matrix/Slitherine page that clearly shows my username, account, password, etc. It even says, "Hello {Username}," so it is clear I'm actually logged in.

Then, when I go from that page to either the Matrix or Slitherine individual sites (using the links for those drat sites that are on the page) to buy something, neither of them recognizes the same drat user name (or email address associated with it), and neither will let me log in again (let's not even ask why I would need to log in again in the first place).

I swear to god, why is it so difficult for these people to do website things that the average mall shop nail salon figured out 10 years ago?

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 4, 2020

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Saros posted:

I can't get over how peak boomer that signature is. CUSTOMER SINCE 2003.

Username "Steely Glint" is great too, I can only imagine it is 100% unironic and earnest.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Saros posted:

Boy I really hope someone got fired for that blunder!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Young Indiana Jones lookin good!

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 4, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Saros posted:

Aww. Now I wish I had enough money left over this month, because this guy is tempting me to spite buy and spite having fun with blatantly posting screenshots of tanks while spite-describing them as infantry or whatever this kind of guy thinks is the most annoying

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Good god. They literally have a link that says, "To get support please login to your account and go to Helpdesk."

Um, geniuses, what if the thing you need support for is an inability to login to your account?

EDIT: Good loving god, even their "Contact Page," requires you to log in before you can go to a support function.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Theres a support email, support@slitherine.co.uk

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

SlyFrog posted:

Jesus Christ. What the gently caress is wrong with these people? I go to reset my password (because for some reason it isn't working). It then brings me to some Matrix/Slitherine page that clearly shows my username, account, password, etc. It even says, "Hello {Username}," so it is clear I'm actually logged in.

Then, when I go from that page to either the Matrix or Slitherine individual sites (using the links for those drat sites that are on the page) to buy something, neither of them recognizes the same drat user name (or email address associated with it), and neither will let me log in again (let's not even ask why I would need to log in again in the first place).

I swear to god, why is it so difficult for these people to do website things that the average mall shop nail salon figured out 10 years ago?

I actually had that issue a while ago. If you contact their support they should be able to sort you out.

Dimitris
Apr 11, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Saros posted:

That's actually a mild case, compared to some other types.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Well I guess at least he's not an actual nazi so there's that.

Lol he's back.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4823733

Saros fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 4, 2020

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

After resetting my password, I've reached the point where instead throwing errors when I try to login, it simply just refreshes the login page without comment.

Am now recalling why I didn't apply for the Shadow Empire beta

edit:

Grog Website nooo

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 4, 2020

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

AARP LARPer posted:

aw c'mon man, it's not like that. you have to admit it's kind of funny that a group of people who pride themselves on enjoying spreadsheet games like WITP can be flummoxed by a website. in the spirit of Saros' post above, i really do apologize for my tone. take care.

It's okay, I'm sorry and I love you, I am just dying on a four hour Zoom meeting and lashing out at everyone.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It's up for sale on Slitherine's website as well for people like me who don't like shopping on matrix.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'll wait for it to land on Steam, with luck there'll be mods to add stupid poo poo at that point.

Also that official forums thread is great and I love it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Well, I just got Shadow Empire. Did you think Alpha Centauri was a complicated game? You were wrong

Saros posted:

This is hilarious because the first thing I noticed was, these guys are motorized infantry, this is the wrong symbol

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Earlier I was asking myself, "Do I want to wait and pay more for the game just to show that people will buy it on Steam." 20% is enough of a difference that I won't wait.

This is a broader grognard thing so I posted it here instead of the SE thread.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Okay this is bad enough:

But it gets worse. If you zoom out, they're armor:

I'm just gonna go have a little lie down, I think

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm GOING to be SICK!!!

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Foo Diddley posted:

Okay this is bad enough:

But it gets worse. If you zoom out, they're armor:

I'm just gonna go have a little lie down, I think

Does Matrix do refunds!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Hippocrass posted:

Does Matrix do refunds!

Awesome game, nonetheless

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah the NATO symbols thing is genuinely baffling, Vic has made several wargames with proper symbology so it's very odd that he seems to have chosen to go with an extremely abridged set here. The most egregious one is the AT guns using the artillery symbol.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Saros posted:

AT guns using the artillery symbol.

You really know how to kick a guy while he's layin' down, don't ya

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

At least it is better than those multiplayer games of Advanced Tactics Gold, where people choose misleading NATO symbols for their units on purpose.

These symbols in Shadow Empire still show the right mobility type, kind of.

And it may be that today NATO has a strict set of symbols, those symbols have been been used with quite a lot of variations in the past by different armies, and using them in the modern way for even WWII is already an anachronism, let alone for 6000 years in the future.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Man, Shadow Empire is the most purestrain grog experience I've had in years.

Blowing the dust off of a Matrix Games account that hasn't been logged into since Obama's first term. Giving Slitherine my shipping address for some reason.

A windows installer that seems to date back to Windows 95.

A launcher that opens a PDF manual.

Incredibly ill-advised vocals in music over an intro cutscene that feels like a bad powerpoint.

My body is ready.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

At least it is better than those multiplayer games of Advanced Tactics Gold, where people choose misleading NATO symbols for their units on purpose.

:argh: Habituallyred I'm never forgiving you for that one! :argh:

[e] I think the billing/shipping address is because the matrix/slytherine lot are the weirdly excessively rule following strain of brits and they compulsively add the right VAT/sales tax for your country/state to sales. There's someone on the matrix forums right now complaining about being charged more because they are from Texas which has an online sales tax :lol:

Saros fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 4, 2020

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
everything about shadow empire rules.

be gone, heretics

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Saros posted:

I think the billing/shipping address is because the matrix/slytherine lot are the weirdly excessively rule following strain of brits and they compulsively add the right VAT/sales tax for your country/state to sales.

This may change, now that the UK seems determined to abolish the rules based society.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Dominic Cummings uses the tank nato symbol to mean infantry with body armour, and the anti-tank gun one for tanks.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1241910/Victory_and_Glory_The_American_Civil_War/

Victory and Glory: The American Civil War is out from the same people who have done Victory and Glory: Napoleon and Hannibal- Rome and Carthage.

It is a strategic-level turn-based game, with abstract "tactical battles". The entire feel of the game is very boardgame-like, including cards and activation limits. Unlike the previous two games, you can play both sides in this conflict and the game is thus more "balanced", the other two games being very (realistically) punishing in terms of winning battles but still losing the war anyways.

I think the game is very enjoyable and the art is really nice. The UI is clunky, of course, in particular the "zoomed-in" map area of Virginia/Maryland/DC. My main gripe with the game is that there is quite a lot of dice-rolling (every time a unit attacks, checks to recover, checks for routing hits, etc), and that dice-rolling is important. The fact that there are so many dice-rolls does mean that the law of averages will eventually apply, but it may feel particularly unfair because the game does a poor job of communicating why the rolls work out the way they do (although the game will list modifiers, there is no clear formula being spat out telling you what you rolled). One specific event card is particularly broken imo, which is the Lee/Jackson card and the flank bonus it can give. The bonus may be "faithful" to history, but the in-game engine application is quite significant.

Overall I recommend the game.

Ghost of Mussolini fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 5, 2020

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

And it may be that today NATO has a strict set of symbols, those symbols have been been used with quite a lot of variations in the past by different armies, and using them in the modern way for even WWII is already an anachronism, let alone for 6000 years in the future.

Perhaps it was the decay of precision in NATO symbols which lead to the downfall of the galactic empire?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

NATO symbology standards neglect to provide symbols for units of hoplites, halberdiers, powered armor infantry and armored core next, it is predictable that as it rigidifies thinking such, it will eventually cause many a downfall.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Technically this post isn't about video games, but it's similar enough to some of the communal wargames we've played here that I thought I'd crosspost this announcement because some of you might get a kick out of it.

Class Warcraft posted:

:siren: :siren: Greetings Fellow Grognards :siren: :siren:

Do you want to watch teams of goons take command of WW2 forces and send them to their deaths? Do you like Combat Mission but wished that it required a human to painstakingly build and paint every aspect of the game instead of using a computer? Then come visit scenic Stalingrad in the Goon vs. Goon Bolt Action Megagame!

Command a platoon of infantry (or other units) and wield it against fellow goons as both sides duke it out for control of different areas of the city, or just watch and enjoy the carnage!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1241910/Victory_and_Glory_The_American_Civil_War/

One specific event card is particularly broken imo, which is the Lee/Jackson card and the flank bonus it can give. The bonus may be "faithful" to history, but the in-game engine application is quite significant.

Overall I recommend the game.

That’s exactly what Joe Hooker thought. And it was real embarrassing after all that, “god have mercy on General Lee, because I shall not...” talk.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

JOE HOOKER INNOCENT

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Just thought I'd post a public service announcement: don't give Battlefront any money.

In my case, I got the itch,as it's a long weekend here in Australia, to reinstall cm fortress Italy. So I find my order details on their website, download the installer, and use the activation key from the order page, only to be told it's an invalid serial key. Contact their support, and it takes them half a day to ask me what the error is,then a few more hours to ask me which key I'm trying to use even though I told them already in the original request. Nothing since,so now more than a day later, I still can't activate my USD 65 purchase. gently caress Battlefront.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I would totally buy some of their more recent games*, but not at those prices and dumb DRM.

Put them on the drat Epic store if you want a bigger cut, just admit it's 2020 and act accordingly.

* I know they've put some of their ancient ones up on GOG

Edit: I was curious what their latest position is and welp (bolding mine).

quote:

On 2/19/2020 at 4:28 PM, Battlefront.com said:

We are huge fans of GOG and have our older CM1 products on there. We're very happy with how that is going. However, we will not put our current games on GOG because we don't think we'd be happy with that.

The first and most important reason is that GOG does not allow copy protection. That means our games can be freely copied by anybody and everybody. It takes only one person, just one, to buy from GOG and post it to a download site. One. And once it's up there it's up there for good. We'd likely be out of business soon after.

The reason why no copy protection works for our old games is two fold:

1. The games are priced very low and therefore more likely to have someone agree to pay instead of download for free. Cumulatively the honest gamers who purchase through GOG generate a nice amount of "found money" for us, which is always welcomed but it isn't very significant in terms of paying salaries and bills.

2. The games are not even remotely part of Battlefront's survival equation. If we received no money from CM1 products ever again we'd still be in business. Even a relatively minor reduction in sales of our current CM2 line of games would likely spell disaster.

Notice I haven't mentioned the cut that GOG takes. That's always a concern for us, especially if such a relationship diminishes our own sales, but it's not a problem for us if the overall relationship is more profitable than not having it. Because the CM1 sales that GOG generates are extra revenue for us, giving them a healthy chunk of it is fully deserved. Giving someone a cut of sales that contribute to overall lower total sales, of course, would not be such a good thing.

Customers that like and support the games we make need to value one thing above all others... us staying in business. No Battlefront. no more CM. Just because we've beaten the odds of staying in business year after year for 20+ years doesn't mean that we can survive making a big mistake. Not to worry though... we are obviously pretty good at avoiding big mistakes :D

Steve

We've found it people, peak grog.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 9, 2020

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The climb down if they ever do go steam is going to be hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Update, it's now been 2 days since I first contacted them. I'm using the activation keys from their own website and they're not working. It's loving ridiculous.