Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

sonatinas posted:

my large office building is full of people complaining about our “masks on while walking around but can take them off at your desk” policy also some of their churches have relaxed and some are still requiring masks. hope we can avoid a spike. the amount of cultural war against a virus is real daft.

it's insanity, I wear a mask for work and I wear it on my walk to work because, gently caress it, why not, I have taken this all seriously so far, why stop now, and I have been yelled at by dipshits in cars more than once

no one outside of the protests in nashville is wearing a mask, just total "mission accomplished" mentality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

zegermans posted:

are there any concrete articles with receipts talking about how lung-related deaths that aren't listed as covid-related are skyrocketing?

it's not that easy to prove at this point because tallying deaths nationwide is a giant bureaucratic clusterfuck, but yeah it's getting noticed. Aside from the pretty obvious tampering with data in a lot of states it just takes a long loving time to get death certs centrally recorded and verified

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/06/03/pneumonia-deaths-flu-deaths-jump-enormously-in-usa/

there's a lot of individual state news articles noting this as well but it's going to be something journalists will have to dig pretty hard for. sort of like there are still 9/11 truthers I think this will be a big dumb partisan fight over concealing deaths for at least the next decade.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Egg Moron posted:

it's insanity, I wear a mask for work and I wear it on my walk to work because, gently caress it, why not, I have taken this all seriously so far, why stop now, and I have been yelled at by dipshits in cars more than once

no one outside of the protests in nashville is wearing a mask, just total "mission accomplished" mentality

we decided we were done with Covid, and that's that

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

COVID-420
Apr 21, 2020

Natural cures they don't want you to know about.
I went to bed early last night so I'm making up for it this morning

Top 5 New Cases USA Thursday June 4

1. California +2,548
2. Texas +1,769
3. Florida +1,419
4. New York +1,062
5. Georgia +953

Record high total in Florida.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Shocking news from the UK.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1268901230652403712

how could this have happened

Oh.

Official figures, so I'm assuming R is already 1 or above.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

The large crowds of people at the Lake of the Ozarks over Memorial Day weekend have not led to any more reported cases of COVID-19, Missouri’s top health official health department said Wednesday.

“The answer, to our knowledge, is no,” Dr. Randall Williams, director of the Department of Health and Senior Services, said when asked whether more cases have come from the gatherings, photos of which showed throngs of people close together without wearing masks.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local...bd0f6510ac.html

Don't worry everyone, they are totally telling the truth lol

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Wednesday, Ohio brings movie theaters back online :rip:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Iron Crowned posted:

Wednesday, Ohio brings movie theaters back online :rip:

What's playing?

anything good?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egg Moron posted:

What's playing?

anything good?

:iiam:

Probably just Onward and Sonic the Hedgehog, like before we all left

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

twoday posted:

One interesting factor that isn't taken into consideration much is humidity. The more humid a place is, the less chance there is that the virus will survive there. New York and Northern Italy are for instance very humid, but only in the summer, which could explain why numbers are relatively low there now. This plays into the seasonality which you mentioned.
I wonder if this is why Australia's been relatively resilient? Most inhabited areas are in subtropical zones with high humidity, and for various insane reasons nobody has A/C

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

So, my dad has been moved to hospice (cancer) and probably only has days to weeks left. On top of everything else, I have a major fear of going to the funeral, which will likely be in a church. He lives in Michigan, so they are still requiring masks, distancing, and no singing within churches, so that's a small relief. Although, I'm still not sure how I feel about this and don't really know what to do when the time comes. gently caress this stupid loving virus.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

alphabettitouretti posted:

Shocking news from the UK.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1268901230652403712

how could this have happened

Oh.

Official figures, so I'm assuming R is already 1 or above.

The good news is that official figures won't gently caress up the R value too much, maybe? If cases are undercounted by 80% today and were undercounted by 80% last week, then the R will be the same. Of course, governments have higher incentive to fudge the numbers when infections are higher, so this isn't foolproof.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1267494505697153025?s=20

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

twoday
May 4, 2005

Here's an article about covid and humidity

https://qz.com/1843347/if-covid-19-becomes-seasonal-humidity-could-help-explain-why/

There were others, I remember reading some study out of China where they compared transmission in different temperatures and humidities

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

His Purple Majesty posted:

Go does Covid not matter anymore or what cause I got some grilling to do!?!

nothing matters

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Egg Moron posted:

What's playing?

anything good?

Chris Nolan is still hell-bent on having Tenet premiere in theaters like God intended, drat it.

...oh God, what if this is a cynical ploy for him to get the Oscar

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

do all kn95s have these semi transparent areas like where the serial number is??? It's freaking me out dude

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

*borat voice* very nice

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Restaurants are opening today here at half capacity. It's going to be completely insane and I'm willing to bet someone gets shot today for asking a customer to wear a mask.

we r still struggling to get outdoor open at 50%, missing on the criteria that we need <25 new cases per 100k for two weeks running

Fireside Nut posted:

So, my dad has been moved to hospice (cancer) and probably only has days to weeks left. On top of everything else, I have a major fear of going to the funeral, which will likely be in a church. He lives in Michigan, so they are still requiring masks, distancing, and no singing within churches, so that's a small relief. Although, I'm still not sure how I feel about this and don't really know what to do when the time comes. gently caress this stupid loving virus.

sorry man, that shits hard enough w/out the rona

hang in there buddy

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

AceOfFlames posted:

Chris Nolan is still hell-bent on having Tenet premiere in theaters like God intended, drat it.

...oh God, what if this is a cynical ploy for him to get the Oscar

the academy already said they would consider digitally released films for this year only

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sunny Side Up has issued a correction as of 14:09 on Dec 14, 2020

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Sunny Side Up posted:

CDC still updating numbers from last week.

U may be surprised to learn---number go up.

Wait poo poo that number is a lot higher than I thought

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

endlessmonotony posted:

No, but the individual hospital staff has no influence over that, and they're the ones going without masks.

And where I am we did get local production running, but if everyone was using the better masks in their day-to-day life we wouldn't be able to keep up.

You can buy 50 packs of masks pretty much anywhere now and there are a million places online selling reusable ones. Mask availability was an issue in March, it isn't now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sunny Side Up posted:

:snoo:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Wait poo poo that number is a lot higher than I thought
The winner has already been determined, to relitigate last month's contest would be to jeopardize all C-SPAM posters' belief in a just and fair system where results aren't overturned just because some people are unhappy with the them.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Sunny Side Up posted:

oof

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Skull or anybody else working in restaurants... Are you busy at all after being open again for a while?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Sunny Side Up posted:

Pog

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The winner has already been determined, to relitigate last month's contest would be to jeopardize all C-SPAM posters' belief in a just and fair system where results aren't overturned just because some people are unhappy with the them.

What was the old number?

I didn't throw into the pool, but I was predicting 120,000, and drat wasn't actually expecting this, alhtough I shouldn't be surprised either.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Iron Crowned posted:

What was the old number?

I didn't throw into the pool, but I was predicting 120,000, and drat wasn't actually expecting this, alhtough I shouldn't be surprised either.
107k I think? So undercounting by about 50k.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

Skull or anybody else working in restaurants... Are you busy at all after being open again for a while?

Anecdotally, all the open restaurants I've driven by have had packed parking lots since Ohio allowed them back open on the 20th of may.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thoguh posted:

Green Bay: busier this week than last week but still at about 30-40% of our usual nightly crowd. we still haven't seen any of our dining regulars with exception of a few. I think tonight and tomorrow night we might get a full house though (well, full, taking in account we cut max capacity by a third)

patio dining is more popular than it's ever been and our dedicated patio servers are getting really stressed out trying to handle them all while the two inside servers are standing around talking with their masks off

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200605-covid-19-pandemic-under-control-in-france-government-adviser-says

France has beaten Covid

maybe

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Iron Crowned posted:

Anecdotally, all the open restaurants I've driven by have had packed parking lots since Ohio allowed them back open on the 20th of may.

cool cool cool

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1268940681600471040?s=19

geez, let's not go overboard

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Beautiful coastlines like this are very pretty but no fun to hang out in my experience. It's nothing but wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Had to do my test today.

It is not so bad, just kind of tickles.