Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Fedule posted:

That person later became a moderator.

Can you think of a greater punishment?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
making them an admin

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
If I ever become an admin, I swear to do only two things:
  1. Post a thread in GBS that simply says BEGONE, SATAN!
  2. Leave it up for exactly five minutes for people to post in bewilderedly, then delete SA from the internet

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
and miss the opportunity to chain probate me without recourse? you've mellowed in your old age, crow

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dash Rendar posted:

and miss the opportunity to chain probate me without recourse? you've mellowed in your old age, crow

He's getting ready to dance with the angels.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
God only today I was thinking about doing another RPS LP in the near future, possibly doing Rock-Papers-Scissor-Well.

then i remembered nine gear crow exists

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Covski posted:

God only today I was thinking about doing another RPS LP in the near future, possibly doing Rock-Papers-Scissor-Well.

then i remembered nine gear crow exists

Ultimate Chaos Rock-Paper-Scissors. For one random round I will send the Left thread to The Firing Range, and the Right thread to Pet Island. The Observer thread will go to Goons with Spoons.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Okay, now this is some LP supervillany I can get behind.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Turn the RPS threads into the forums’ new traveling threads. Each round has a new sub forum getting in on the fun!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hmm... keep the observer thread in LP and ship the left and right hand threads to whichever forum rakes up the challenge?

we could even have a championship bracket to decide which subforum is the UltimateTM.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
FYI since this came up recently I'm going to clarify something - I won't make any edits to fix typos, mistakes, missing posts, etc in LPs on the archive anymore once they have been posted. I suggest anyone submitting their thread to the archive should proof-read it first before submission and make any edits, and then do a final check when I email you the draft version. If you missed an update because it wasn't linked in your TOC I'm not going to catch that and I won't then edit the LP down the road when you realise.

In particular people writing update posts that are way too long and hit the character limit, if you don't explicitly link the second part of your post in your table of contents it won't be included. Or you could copy-edit your updates better in the first place, but you do you.

The exception to this being anyone wanting to remove some identifying information that was included, editing out slurs they regret using, etc. Something legit and not just a screw up that you didn't catch when you submitted the thread.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

baldurk posted:

FYI since this came up recently I'm going to clarify something - I won't make any edits to fix typos, mistakes, missing posts, etc in LPs on the archive anymore once they have been posted. I suggest anyone submitting their thread to the archive should proof-read it first before submission and make any edits, and then do a final check when I email you the draft version. If you missed an update because it wasn't linked in your TOC I'm not going to catch that and I won't then edit the LP down the road when you realise.

In particular people writing update posts that are way too long and hit the character limit, if you don't explicitly link the second part of your post in your table of contents it won't be included. Or you could copy-edit your updates better in the first place, but you do you.

The exception to this being anyone wanting to remove some identifying information that was included, editing out slurs they regret using, etc. Something legit and not just a screw up that you didn't catch when you submitted the thread.

Yeah, I seem to recall there was only two post-facto changes I've ever requested made to any of my LPs, the first was there was an update to Shadows of the Empire where I talked about how to play the X-Wing series games on modern PCs and was like "lol it will never happen" and then like a year after I submitted it LucasArts put their whole archive on Steam and GOG, so I was like "Heeey, can we maybe update that with the relevant real world information." The other time was asking to have several previously uncredited voice actors in a game properly credited after new casting information came out after the LP was archived.

So I'd assume it would be stuff like that, or in that ballpark, no?

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Something like that which you couldn't have known at the time is fine too. I'm mostly talking about fixing errors that could have been caught but weren't.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Do you need a heads up on lps that aren't actually online anymore, because theres a couple of the older vlps that don't exist anymore. Frequency by lesbeardly comes to mind

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think a lot of those have archive.org links.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Some, but not all.

Frequency was my go to example, both the youtube links and the (lol) viddler links do not work.
From memory Defence grid is also no longer on youtube, with none of the links workong.
Dead to rights the links are all viddler and blip, although it still exists via slowbeefs youtube.
Covert action none of jade stars links work.

None of the above have archive.org links, and i guess my question to baldurk is whether hes actually interested in being made aware of things like that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
All the videos of the Valkyria Chronicles LP on the archive are gone.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

For this one, I have no idea if the original vids are still online somewhere but all of the vid links go through the LP'ers own site which is gone, so the LP page on the archive is effectively useless.

https://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-Skyward-Sword/

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Carbon dioxide posted:

For this one, I have no idea if the original vids are still online somewhere but all of the vid links go through the LP'ers own site which is gone, so the LP page on the archive is effectively useless.

I found the playlist on youtube for this LP:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA454FC7AF765E264

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

There's not much I can do about dead LPs. If the author wants them removed then I can remove them, but otherwise they might as well stay up there for at least partial preservation.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

baldurk posted:

There's not much I can do about dead LPs. If the author wants them removed then I can remove them, but otherwise they might as well stay up there for at least partial preservation.

The "youtube" links are for their own website's pages for each video, but the videos themselves are still up on their youtube channel so it can be salvaged if you want to tediously update the 50-ish links.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA454FC7AF765E264

Edit:

They made quite a few LPs and most of them have the same issue of being riddled with dead links - https://lparchive.org/author/ambisagrus

https://lparchive.org/Pilotwings-64/
All links are dead

These ones are all salvageable:

https://lparchive.org/Crackdown/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL231qrl4r9fENw8JWbtAQE2lC7dI5CJRq

https://lparchive.org/Crackdown-2/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL231qrl4r9fHeIWZBVSEYEdXLdev0nH2w

https://lparchive.org/Darksiders-(by-Ambisagrus)/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL96B9F82604E87EED

https://lparchive.org/Little-Kings-Story/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL05A7459CB39D2B6A

https://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-Twilight-Princess-(by-Ambisagrus)/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL231qrl4r9fG1aL-KniptSdOgAQWpdQ1u

The rest seem to have working youtube links, but dead links to other sites.

lohli fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 9, 2020

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you might want to actually try to contact those people and see if they want those LPs updated before taking any action

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

baldurk posted:

Possibly a banner, like there is for the ones on archive.org, to indicate that all/most of the links are dead. I don't think you'd need the author's permission for that, and its on them to contact you with backups or if they want it removing.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
I made a new OP for my first LP in a long while: Dragon Quest VI. I'm slightly out of practice on writing that up, so I'd like you all to see if it's fine.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=156901

Thanks for your time!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Edit: Nevermind. I can't produce the evidence that supports my claim.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I've used Nvidia's shadowplay for most of my recording, but lately I've been getting annoyed because it doesn't actually record constant framerate; from time to time it'll spit out a 59.84 fps recording instead of 60 and while this isn't a big issue if I manage to single-take a recording, Premiere hates variable bitrate and will desync your audio to hell if I need to/want to do some editing.

I had been using Handbrake to set the non-constant 60 videos to 60, but it's an extra step so :effort:, and it means another re-encoding pass, which I'd rather avoid.

So, I decided to give OBS a try, and here's where my issues/questions start:

For most of my recordings, I used Shadowplay at "High" Settings, which from what I've been told it's way overkill, but it looked good and I had space, so hey.

After I got this pointed out to me I took it down to 20mpbs, which was also fine, until I hit that fps issue I mention above.

Now, when I installed OBS, and these are the default recording settings:

But I wanted to see what the bitrate was, so I hit advanced and...

2500 kbps!? My brain went "well, it's using the same encoder as Shadowplay, so I should be using the same mbps I have over there?" and set it to 20000 (20 mbps!), which was working fine... until I started getting "Encoding overloaded!" errors in OBS which ruined a couple recordings.

I started googling a bit and I see people recommending 8k tops for 1080p 60, then someone in reddit saying anything below 120k is garbage, then Nvidia themselves recommending anything from 6k to 12k depending on upload speed (which is probably for streaming and not recording), so I'm kinda coming out empty here.

Neither GPU nor CPU are capping at any poing during recording (2014 game on a 2060 with a Ryzen 3600), no idea why it's throwing those Encoder Overloaded errors but I don't want to risk it happening again.

These are my current settings. Is it overkill? Should I just go down to 10/12k or below?

Should I be using another encoder that's not Nvidia's with OBS? I was using that one since CPU encoding spikes my CPU temp like a motherfucker (thanks, Ryzen's stock cooler), and I'd really rather avoid that scenario if possible.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I usually encode my 1080p recordings in 8kbps with Vegas, but I've been playing older games. If you're recording in 1080p and 60 frames, guides usually vary but the recommended output varies between 12-15kbps for high-quality encoding.

Google\Youtube have provided a general guide for encoding here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 15, 2020

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If you want to watch someone who knows way too much about OBS and all its quality settings explain very clearly what you should be gunning for, look up EposVox' OBS tutorials on YouTube.

For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ04pIcpMkM

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Try running OBS as an admin if you don't already, that's what fixed that issue for me. But I also don't run bitrates that high. It's still worth a shot.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...
Archiving question; I hope this is the right place for it. If not feel free to box my ears and I will accept my punishment.

So, I try not to be too much of a PITA to baldurk and I'm going to submit a long thread for the treatment and I want to have all my ducks in a row first. I'm not sure how to handle the 'one line, one link' specification, because most of the thread has two links for each update; one for the youtube video, and one for the screenshot update for those who prefer reading to viewing. I don't do it that way anymore but I was for quite a while. Example:

Secrets (40:25) or Read Here

How do I format this so I don't screw up with the archiving scripts, etc. Anybody else ever do this before? If I split it up on two lines for each, that might destroy the single-post character limit which I'm close to as it is, but also would seem to me that it be putting each update in twice - once for the video and once for the screenshot post. If I leave it on one line, with this work for the archive process to be able to grab the correct (forum post) link to put in? Should I do something else entirely?

Thanks for any useful feedback in advance

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Strategic Sage posted:

Archiving question; I hope this is the right place for it. If not feel free to box my ears and I will accept my punishment.

So, I try not to be too much of a PITA to baldurk and I'm going to submit a long thread for the treatment and I want to have all my ducks in a row first. I'm not sure how to handle the 'one line, one link' specification, because most of the thread has two links for each update; one for the youtube video, and one for the screenshot update for those who prefer reading to viewing. I don't do it that way anymore but I was for quite a while. Example:

Secrets (40:25) or Read Here

How do I format this so I don't screw up with the archiving scripts, etc. Anybody else ever do this before? If I split it up on two lines for each, that might destroy the single-post character limit which I'm close to as it is, but also would seem to me that it be putting each update in twice - once for the video and once for the screenshot post. If I leave it on one line, with this work for the archive process to be able to grab the correct (forum post) link to put in? Should I do something else entirely?

Thanks for any useful feedback in advance

I would reformat my table of contents so it only showed the screenshot links, and then put the video links at the start of every post.

e: It seems like the latter is already the case here

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Hello, everyone. I've never tried this LP thing before, so I would appreciate it if someone could go over my OP and tell me if anything I plan on doing is unacceptably wrong in some way before I get to work on my first real update.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The immediate thing is that literally every image is too big. If you want to archive this ever the maximum width needs to be 900 pixels. There's also no earthly justification for your portrait sizes, and you repeat identical portraits for subsequent lines, which just looks bad and doesn't flow well. I would say you probably should aim for square-ish portraits that are no bigger than 100 pixels tall, and that's already absurdly big and I only recommend it if the differences are subtle but you also need the characters' emotions to be read clearly. The explanation of the purpose of the LP that goes in Update "0" (which will also be a problem in archival, take it from me) should also definitely be fit into your OP.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 20, 2020

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Thank you. Are the images okay now?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Arist posted:

There's also no earthly justification for your portrait sizes, and you repeat identical portraits for subsequent lines, which just looks bad and doesn't flow well.

I don't entirely agree with this. There is a cadence to long streams of visual novel dialogue delivered one text box at a time, and it is subtle, though deliberate on the part of the writers. I think it's valuable to preserve this in LP format... sometimes. It's a judgement call. Concatenating dialogue boxes like this should no more never be done than always be done. Personally, I think that in this case the preserved line breaks is the right call, but it's highly subjective.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fedule posted:

I don't entirely agree with this. There is a cadence to long streams of visual novel dialogue delivered one text box at a time, and it is subtle, though deliberate on the part of the writers. I think it's valuable to preserve this in LP format... sometimes. It's a judgement call. Concatenating dialogue boxes like this should no more never be done than always be done. Personally, I think that in this case the preserved line breaks is the right call, but it's highly subjective.

Maybe, but part of the problem is the portrait sizes. Your eye should not have to travel that far to read consecutive lines from the same character with the same assumed tone of voice.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I've already consolidated several lines into one a few times in this section. I am just afraid to take too many liberties with the line breaks for precisely the reason Fedule pointed out. Is it still a problem even with the smaller portrait sizes?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You should paste the revised update into a new test post, the old one didn't get updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
How about this? If the images still don't update for you, try pressing Ctrl+Shift+R to flush your browser's cache.

AFancyQuestionMark fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 20, 2020