Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
And yet... Still your girlfriend?

ugh shittest snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I didnt really think God parent was a real thing. I dont think my kids have one. I just assumed it didn't mean anything other than "this is who I was close with when I had the baby".

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I didnt really think God parent was a real thing. I dont think my kids have one. I just assumed it didn't mean anything other than "this is who I was close with when I had the baby".

I wonder how often the godparents actually wind up with the kids after something happens to the parents.

Like ... 1% of the time? Probably less?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

PostNouveau posted:

I wonder how often the godparents actually wind up with the kids after something happens to the parents.

Like ... 1% of the time? Probably less?

I wonder how legally binding being named a godparent is, like is there a legal way to be declared as such? Or if in the case of all the family members dropping dead, would the state still take the children rather than give them to the godparent?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Grimdude posted:

I've known people who tell stories like this and yeah you can usually tell when they're leaving out important details.

The "I said this really impactful thing and they just stood there baffled" bit is almost always a lie. People don't just silently stand there and take poo poo like in TV shows.

My biggest thing is the whole projection. Every story like this says that people accuse them of being "selfish". I have a childfree (though not by name) brother and SIL. they're mid 30s now so it'll probably stick. I don't think anyone in our family has ever expressed that they felt the choice was "selfish" at all. Sure some of the "it won't last" or "it's too bad" but never "it's so selfish." It's obvious this is projection because clearly all "childfull" people consider their children burdens and envy the "childfree" lifestyle. It's really baffling. OFC the "childfree" types tend to fall in with the others who don't have an empathetic bone in their entire body so I suppose it lines up.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

To any sane person your definition is what it basically is. Just a close friend that you trust to be an extra role model for your kid when they're around.

But you ask a hardcore Catholic what they are though... Hoo boy you're in for an earful. Which I got from a co-worker when I was named a godparent a few years ago. Man that lady loving sucked

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Motherfucker posted:

Also I'm not concrete on the dogma but they have to be present at the baptism for it to be legit I'd imagine so like, you can't just hot swap godparents when one burns out for some religious people I'm guessing?

Real talk though just loving let her be godparent. the hell.

I think it depends on what denomination you are, honestly? I grew up Presbyterian, and it was pretty much like an honorary title.

I also sort of but don't have a godfather, because my parents named my dad's paranoid schizophrenic cousin as my godfather because 'he was mostly normal in the 80s'. Hoo boy, there were some creepy phone calls he made to the house because he 'had a duty to me'.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Y'all really believe this stuff doesn't happen? My family still hasn't accepted my sister isn't going to have children because having children is the purpose of good women who were raised right. They literally told her she didn't need to get a doctoral degree because she should be settling down and raising kids in her late 20s.

This thread is full of people who see someone making a different life choice as a massive personal attack. You can also pop over into the estranged parents thread which chronicles the same behavior plus plenty of "they're so selfish depriving me of my right to be a grandma."

The massive patriarchal expectation of women as baby factories plus people testing different choices as a personal moral judgement makes many of these childfree stories as plausible to me even without having seen this play out with many people I'm close to.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SoftNum posted:

My biggest thing is the whole projection. Every story like this says that people accuse them of being "selfish". I have a childfree (though not by name) brother and SIL. they're mid 30s now so it'll probably stick. I don't think anyone in our family has ever expressed that they felt the choice was "selfish" at all. Sure some of the "it won't last" or "it's too bad" but never "it's so selfish." It's obvious this is projection because clearly all "childfull" people consider their children burdens and envy the "childfree" lifestyle. It's really baffling. OFC the "childfree" types tend to fall in with the others who don't have an empathetic bone in their entire body so I suppose it lines up.

You've been reading this thread for a while and you still don't believe that lovely families will call a member selfish over the dumbest poo poo?

Like, childfree people don't just come from well-adjusted families.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

duck trucker posted:

To any sane person your definition is what it basically is. Just a close friend that you trust to be an extra role model for your kid when they're around.

But you ask a hardcore Catholic what they are though... Hoo boy you're in for an earful. Which I got from a co-worker when I was named a godparent a few years ago. Man that lady loving sucked

My family's catholic, but godparent has never meant "will be the child's guardian if something happens", at least for us. My godmother is one of my dad's old friends, and my godfather is one of my uncles, but my parents have told me that if anything had happened to them when we were kids their will specified that we'd be entrusted to one of my aunts. Cultures are different I know, and sometimes the god parent is expected to be some kind of mentor, but I've never heard it associated with being the designated foster parent if the parents kick it.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

thekeeshman posted:

My family's catholic, but godparent has never meant "will be the child's guardian if something happens", at least for us. My godmother is one of my dad's old friends, and my godfather is one of my uncles, but my parents have told me that if anything had happened to them when we were kids their will specified that we'd be entrusted to one of my aunts. Cultures are different I know, and sometimes the god parent is expected to be some kind of mentor, but I've never heard it associated with being the designated foster parent if the parents kick it.

It definitely depends on the sect. I'm not Catholic and never had any godparents but it was explained to me as they're someone who is supposed to "keep the child in the faith" if something happened to the parents, but not be a foster parent necessarily.

But yeah I met people who are deadly serious that godparents are basically who you're naming as foster parents and I should be taking it more seriously rather than just swinging by every few months to play with my godson and giving him candy from other countries I buy at the Asian grocery store.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

luxury handset posted:

an old timey phrase for mixed race people in the american south. if you had any verified black ancestry then you were black, but if you were light skinned enough that you could pass for white then folks might derogatorily refer to you as high yellow

I've known black people that still use it. Another one I heard was blueblack, for darker skin. I wouldn't use them in talking about others myself, but I worked in a tattoo parlor and the context was customers describing their friends skin tone.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I've known black people that still use it. Another one I heard was blueblack, for darker skin. I wouldn't use them in talking about others myself, but I worked in a tattoo parlor and the context was customers describing their friends skin tone.

Yes! I’m what would be considered high yellow, as I have yellow undertones.

It’s more common in the world of cosmetics to use cool toned, yellow toned and warm toned. Blue black I’ve heard from fellow light skinned folk being colorist so I try to steer into a violent jackknife turn away from that term.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

teen witch posted:

Yes! I’m what would be considered high yellow, as I have yellow undertones.

It’s more common in the world of cosmetics to use cool toned, yellow toned and warm toned. Blue black I’ve heard from fellow light skinned folk being colorist so I try to steer into a violent jackknife turn away from that term.

Terrible Trivia: In the West African slave trade, red was preferred to blue. Blue toned people were considered more unmanageable, and didn't sell as well. People with red undertones were preferred, being considered easier to "civilize", or, you know, savagely torture into submission.

You see this continue to show up in colorism. Dark and blue-black/brown are lower in preference to moderate or red-brown, which is less preferred over "high yellow".

It's a lot harder to buy makeup if you have cool-toned, dark skin.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
WIBTA if I told my wife she has to cut her mother off as a result of my emotional infidelity?

quote:

So I really don't know if I have the right to ask her this. Right now I feel like I don't have the right to ask her anything, but I had a six month emotional affair with my MIL, and I think if i'd given in it 100% would have become physical. My wife and I moved out of my in laws house and our currently in my childhood bedroom, but I don't care as long as I am away from them.

When we were leaving I ended up in a confrontation with her mother, who cried to FIL and acted like I was victimizing her. I told him that I think he needs to reevaluate who he married. She said "he's allowed to want to gently caress the maid, and I'm allowed to want to gently caress the pool boy." I don't even know what this means, but they are toxic and we needed to get away from them.

We're trying to work on our relationship, but she is refusing to cut contact with her parents. Her mother still thinks this is a joke, and I really don't know what's wrong with FIL. It's almost like he's angry that I won't sleep with his wife. My wife and I have made some progress in terms of communication, but every time she gets off the phone with her mom she is cold and passive agressive.

I was so wrong that I feel like I don't deserve a thing from her, but she says she wants to save the marriage, so WIBTA if I told my wife that MIL needs to be out of our lives?"

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for “kidnapping” my granddaughter?

quote:

I have a son who is married to a woman who’s quite unstable. She has anxiety and is not in therapy or on medication despite me trying to push her in that direction. She says she tried both for years abs neither worked so she just uses “coping mechanisms” of her own (not drugs or alcohol, nothing dangerous, but I doubt it works.) my son tells me she still has moments of anxiety so clearly it doesn’t work. She was anxious throughout her pregnancy, refused to eat almost any food for fear of some “bacteria” and at this point I became concerned for her mental health but my son told me a lot of pregnant women worry, and it’s normal. I can tell you I never worried, but okay!

When she gave birth she asked us for “space” and said she didn’t want visitors right away. Normally I would be fine with this but I was very concerned about how she would handle her anxiety at a time like this. She is clearly not fit to do this without help, and while my son helps she’s also completely unsupervised during the day when he is at work. I said, look let me take the baby off your hands so you can take a mental health day. She agreed. I took the baby to our house and I did not return her by evening.

My son asked when I would be returning the baby and I said don’t worry this is temporary but until she gets therapy and gets on medication see this as a wake up call. The baby will be safe here while she gets the help she needs. My son yelled at me and said his wife isn’t crazy she just has anxiety but I can list several times I’ve seen her worry about something crazy in just the past year! I have no intention to take custody. I just want her mom to get help.

I had to relinquish my granddaughter because my son threatened to call the police, which was also pretty crazy, but now I’m banned from interacting with the baby “for the forseeable future.” I was not trying to take the baby, I was just providing NEEDED support while her mother was emotionally unstable. Am I wrong here??

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Kidnapping your baby till you learn to calm the gently caress down and stop being anxious.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Motherfucker posted:

Kidnapping your baby till you learn to calm the gently caress down and stop being anxious.

Grandma doubts that the mother's coping mechanisms work, surely that's good enough for the courts.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Soylent Pudding posted:

"Your anxiety isn't 100% gone, so obviously what you're doing isn't working!"

Also, who wants to bet that the foods DIL was refusing to eat were rare meat, soft cheeses, runny eggs, and fish? Which are a known bacteria risk for pregnant people.

loving boomer grandma. Hope she's looking forward to her son and his wife going no contact because she refuses to accept that what she did is lovely!

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Some women stay "morning sick" the whole pregnancy too and have a very hard time eating, and it may've been easier to explain to crazy kidnapping grandma that she was worried about illness than just "didn't feel like eating.". Pregnancy is a weird thing that happens to people very differently, and people who think they know all about it after squirting out a couple kids will never not be funny.

Son should've clearly hung up as soon as gramma made it clear she wasn't to return the baby; and called the cops.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Grandma made a single comment, and it's about the DIL's anxiety:

quote:

She could cure it with treatment

She is getting eviscerated and she deserves it.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Soylent Pudding posted:

She was anxious throughout her pregnancy, refused to eat almost any food for fear of some “bacteria” and at this point I became concerned for her mental health but my son told me a lot of pregnant women worry, and it’s normal. I can tell you I never worried, but okay!

I'm going to assume grandma tried to serve her a sandwich and she got turned down because she was avoiding deli meat due to Listeria concerns.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for making a birthday cake for my daughter when she asked me not to?

quote:

My daughter turned 16 today, and she told me not to make a cake. She has been on this diet and and has asked before if she can go to therapy, but since body issues are something everyone goes through she didn’t need it, but now I’m reconsidering. Besides, she looks fine.

She asked me not to make her a cake, but she hasn’t had any sweets for over 2 years and I planned on making her eat it. When I brought it out, she looked like she was about to have a panic attack. She interrupted us singing happy birthday to yell at me. She said “I told you I didn’t want that poo poo”. I put the cake down and told her to watch her language, because we also have an 8 year old son and 12 year old daughter. I told her to just have a piece, because the rest of us would, and she said “well, I’m not gonna be fat anymore like the rest of you”.

None of us are fat, and my 12 year old daughter has been struggling with thinking she is and started crying. I began yelling at my 16 year old, and she picked up the cake, and threw it on the ground. I told her to go to her room, and she did.

I didn’t tell my husband about the cake either because he’s taking her side, and he told me that I hosed up big time. I told him that now because of her, we have to spend the next couple of months convincing my other children that they aren’t fat.

Nobody can agree on anything and I can’t talk to my 16 year old right now. AITA for making the cake?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

"I wasn't trying to take the baby, I was just taking the baby!"

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

It is telling that grandma can't come up with actual bad behavior coming from her daughter in law. She just twists reasonable concerns that a pregnant woman can have and write her off as "unstable"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for making a birthday cake for my daughter when she asked me not to?

Making my daughter eat cake to tackle her body image issues, real galaxy brain parenting there mom

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Making my daughter eat cake to tackle her body issues, real galaxy brain parenting there mom

And better than decent odds that the family are fat, they're just not morbidly obese and the teenage daughter wants to eat healthy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tarkus posted:

I wonder how legally binding being named a godparent is, like is there a legal way to be declared as such? Or if in the case of all the family members dropping dead, would the state still take the children rather than give them to the godparent?

It's not legally binding AT ALL.

If you want the godparent to be the person the child goes to if you die that has to be done with actual legal paperwork, not something you scribbled inside of a family bible.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Soylent Pudding posted:

That's not 'kidnapping', that's kidnapping you insufferable boomer

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Cythereal posted:

And better than decent odds that the family are fat, they're just not morbidly obese and the teenage daughter wants to eat healthy.

The alternative is that the daughter does have an eating disorder for which the mother refuses treatment. Lower odds and also poo poo parenting.

I've never understood anyone who refuses to accomodate perfectly reasonable and easily-followed requests. It takes literally no effort to just not bake a cake, and you get to acknowledge your daughter as an individual instead of some kind of toy that's only there to do what you want it to.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

SoftNum posted:

Son should've clearly hung up as soon as gramma made it clear she wasn't to return the baby; and called the cops.

I mean she hosed up but arranging her murder seems excessive.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

SoftNum posted:

I've been called selfish for not wanting children. There's only two males with my last name in my generation of the family, and neither of us want to have children. This, apparently, is incredibly selfish because it means that my grandfather's last name is going to die out with us, and there's been some family pressure from some particularly lovely relatives for one of us to take one for the team and try for a son to carry on the name.

There's also a lot of parents out there who largely consider their adult children to be nothing but grandchild delivery vectors, and who believe that a decision not to have kids is selfish because you're 'robbing them of grandchildren.' My parents had a bit of this going on until my sister had a kid. Not like "You are being selfish and robbing me of being a grandma!", but a lot of "So when are you going to find a nice girl and settle down? Maybe your sister could introduce you to one of her friends..." kind of stuff that disappeared entirely when my nephew arrived because their concern wasn't so much "I don't want my son to be alone" so much as "I want a grandchild"

And while this is not my situation at all, I definitely know some childless people who have to deal with that kind of stuff from their siblings. Reasons range from "You're selfish for denying my child the chance to grow up alongside your child" to "I'm jealous that you still get to go out whenever you want while I have to take care of my child, but that makes me sound like a bad person so I'm going to call you selfish for not suffering beside me".

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I generally let childfree people have a pass as long as they're not the capital-C sort, because they're breaking out of a pervasive societal expectation and it's bitch to calibrate if your entire childhood has been formed by the kind of people who refuse to comprehend that anyone could not want children.

Same as atheists and vegans, really. There's a lot of perfectly chill people out there who only mention these aspects if it comes up naturally in conversation, and posts on here tend to specifically deal with other people refusing to let go of that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It would be selfish if we were like, literally any other animal on the planet. The whole point of being a human being, like, an animal that names itself and poo poo, is being able to create a lifestyle where animals can be alive for the sake of being alive without being browbeaten by our selfish little genes. Unfortunately, we are also still animals and let that get in the way of humanity so you get craven grandparents desperate to see reproductive success regardless of their grandkid's desires.

The loving last name bullshit is naked patriarchy though, such a stupid loving system and concern. Wanting a boy for the purpose of carrying on a name isn't animal, it's just garbage.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The alternative is that the daughter does have an eating disorder for which the mother refuses treatment. Lower odds and also poo poo parenting.

I've never understood anyone who refuses to accomodate perfectly reasonable and easily-followed requests. It takes literally no effort to just not bake a cake, and you get to acknowledge your daughter as an individual instead of some kind of toy that's only there to do what you want it to.

Because Daughter is probably starting to lose weight and regaining a healthy size; and it's making the narrative of the rest of the family "not being able to help it" the obvious lie that it is.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I mean she hosed up but arranging her murder seems excessive.

No it's not. She's gonna keep coming for that baby til someone puts her down. Also lol at police swatting an old white she-boomer.

AITA For using a friend's nudes as an art Reference?

quote:

Hi, posting on a throwaway I made a while ago since I don't want this on my main account.

So basically I (20 M) like to draw during my free time as a hobby, occasionally posting this art in discord servers I'm in. This ranges from simple sketches to arts with shading and coloring. I learned to draw from reference so I have a lot of pictures of nude women saved. Artistic nudes, so like, posed pictures of models in photoshoots, etc. I have a friend (21 F) who I exchanged some spicy photos with and still have them saved. One day I was looking through my gallery looking for inspiration of my next sketch and found my friend's nudes among them and she was doing a great pose that I enjoyed and wanted to draw. I didn't draw it in anyway that gives away identifying information, it's literally just a character of mine in the same pose that my friend is doing.

After putting in some time in this drawing adding flat coloring, I showed my friend the artwork. She complemented me and said it looked great, but when I mentioned that I had come up with it because of a nude that she had sent me, she flipped a switch and got very angry at me, demanding I delete the photos and NEVER use her a reference again. Which I oblidged since I believe someone shouldn't have photos of someone who doesn't want them out there. Then she demanded I delete the art since it's based on her. It's not, I've drawn this character for longer than I've known her and looks nothing like her, only being in the same pose. I told her I wouldn't because it's literally a pose anyone can do, her photo was just the first one that came up. She didn't even realize it was her pose until I told her. She hasn't responded yet but I'm wondering if I am TA.

Quick edit: I do want to mention I don't always just draw nudes, but simply use them as reference. I draw fully clothed women as well.

Edit 2: ok, fine. I guess I'll delete this version of the drawing. I'm just going to go ahead and redraw it in the same pose with the same details but use a different model in the same pose. I still don't understand how this makes a big difference, but if it makes her uncomfortable, I'll delete it. I guess it must have been wrong, but I really don't get it. I actually liked how it ended up, so I want to redo it to have it look better and cleaner while making my friend happy. I also want to reiterate that I DO NOT have her nudes anymore. I DELETED them immediately after she told me to.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

SoftNum posted:

Because Daughter is probably starting to lose weight and regaining a healthy size; and it's making the narrative of the rest of the family "not being able to help it" the obvious lie that it is.

Or daughter has an eating disorder and mother thinks she'll "tough love" it out of her. The daughter asking for therapy indicates she thinks her behavioral or thought patterns are unhealthy.

I'm not really seeing "fat family" in this, I'm seeing "we don't have mental illness in this family"

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Bonster posted:

Or daughter has an eating disorder and mother thinks she'll "tough love" it out of her. The daughter asking for therapy indicates she thinks her behavioral or thought patterns are unhealthy.

I'm not really seeing "fat family" in this, I'm seeing "we don't have mental illness in this family"
Yeah, fat family crab bucket might be p common, but with the specific wording of OP I definitely read more

:sparkles: mom, please, something is wrong and I need help
:byodame: IT'S NORMAL FOR TEENS TO HATE THEIR BODY, SHUT THE gently caress UP

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, fat family crab bucket might be p common, but with the specific wording of OP I definitely read more

:sparkles: mom, please, something is wrong and I need help
:byodame: IT'S NORMAL FOR TEENS TO HATE THEIR BODY, SHUT THE gently caress UP

Yeah the post strongly implies that the daughter is not OK, knows she's not OK, and would like to get help but is being shut down by her mom in favor of surprise cake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

haveblue posted:

Yeah the post strongly implies that the daughter is not OK, knows she's not OK, and would like to get help but is being shut down by her mom in favor of surprise cake

I wonder why the daughter has an eating disorder. I guess it will forever remain a mystery.