Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
so question, as the guy that recently purchased the 981 cayman halfway up the page.

I don't like the wheels, and am planning on getting rid of them when I change the tires. I would prefer a 19" oem wheel in the normal light grey color. Where do you even go to try and get a OEM porsche wheel? Could I hit up the dealer and be like "hey I have a set of 20" carrera wheels in black, will you swap me for a 19 inch set?" Is that hilariously naive?

e: on the last page now :synpa:

Scionix fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
They'll say sure, we'll give you $50 for yours and the set you're looking for is $8600 after the discount. would you like to finance this for 72 months?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Scionix posted:

so question, as the guy that recently purchased the 981 cayman halfway up the page.

I don't like the wheels, and am planning on getting rid of them when I change the tires. I would prefer a 19" oem wheel in the normal light grey color. Where do you even go to try and get a OEM porsche wheel? Could I hit up the dealer and be like "hey I have a set of 20" carrera wheels in black, will you swap me for a 19 inch set?" Is that hilariously naive?

Check Rennlist. People will frequently-ish put up OEM wheels for sale. The dealer will kill you.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
word, thanks. figured about the dealer.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
I just bought a 60k mile 2008 Boxster that lunched it’s IMS bearing and had a new engine installed by J. Random independent euro shop less than 1000 miles ago, right before it was traded on a new Cayenne.

May god have mercy on my soul.

(I paid for a 3 year Carmax style bumper-to-bumper warranty. I get the feeling it’s gonna be my very own DeMuro Range Rover situation.)

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

metaxus posted:

I just bought a 60k mile 2008 Boxster that lunched it’s IMS bearing and had a new engine installed by J. Random independent euro shop less than 1000 miles ago, right before it was traded on a new Cayenne.

May god have mercy on my soul.

(I paid for a 3 year Carmax style bumper-to-bumper warranty. I get the feeling it’s gonna be my very own DeMuro Range Rover situation.)

If you have unlimited miles drive the poo poo out of that car. If not divide your mileage allowance by your years.
I've got a 6 year/100k mile bumper to bumper on my car and I'm about halfway through both miles and years. They've already put in 4x what I paid for the warranty so it's been pretty awesome.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Also another 981 cayman question.

The headliner upholstery is fine and pretty much brand new, but the actual trim piece it sits on is kind of poo poo or loose or something. Like if I reach to the back I can push up on the headliner trim and it will move a good half inch or so. Is this a common thing? I know the headliner fabrics are notorious for sagging but this is kinda different.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

Btw, the PPI on my Spyder came back pretty much perfect. Looks like it's going/selling, and I am without a fun car. :(

It's leaving me tomorrow.

:sigh:

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

DevCore posted:

If you have unlimited miles drive the poo poo out of that car. If not divide your mileage allowance by your years.
I've got a 6 year/100k mile bumper to bumper on my car and I'm about halfway through both miles and years. They've already put in 4x what I paid for the warranty so it's been pretty awesome.

It’s 3 years and 125k miles. I’ll likely hit the time cap before the mileage because this isn’t destined to be my daily driver, and in 3 years time, I’ll be considering a 981 Cayman to replace it.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Can I get a price check on this?

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1192371

in case the link doesn't work if you're not a member or something, 20" carrera S wheels (incl. porsche logo center cap) in silver with fresh Pirelli P Zeros on them, asking $3600.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Those tires are 6 years old, based on my reading. I personally would replace tires that old, so keep that in mind.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
yeah I would be slapping some michelin p4s's on those

BrainDamage
Aug 24, 2006

Scionix posted:

in case the link doesn't work if you're not a member or something, 20" carrera S wheels (incl. porsche logo center cap) in silver with fresh Pirelli P Zeros on them, asking $3600.

That’s not a bad price. If you’re truly looking for 19’s, I think you can do a bit better if you wait. I think I’ve seen some nice sets of 19’s in the $25-2800 range.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

BrainDamage posted:

That’s not a bad price. If you’re truly looking for 19’s, I think you can do a bit better if you wait. I think I’ve seen some nice sets of 19’s in the $25-2800 range.

word, thanks. So would the 20" carrera wheels I have on the car now (satin black) be worth about the same as the silvers, or does the black add value? I honestly have no clue

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Scionix posted:

I do not like P Zeros, agree with changing that out if you get them.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Scionix posted:

after bending two 19" wheels in two months I went to my independent Porsche shop and they sold me a full set of 18" OEMs off a 911 (with spacers to make the rears fit) for less than a grand (and they took my old wheels). Not pristine but I was tracking the car and didn't care. This was Socal, the land of aftermarket wheels, so ymmv

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Goodbye buddy. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Residency Evil posted:

Tough day.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Oof, rough.

Uh, looking for something with a suspension better suited to the Mainline potholes? A guy at my office building daily drove a McLaren for a while, then swapped to an H3 because of the road. It's a weird office campus.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

meatpimp posted:

Tough day.

Alarbus posted:

Oof, rough.

Uh, looking for something with a suspension better suited to the Mainline potholes? A guy at my office building daily drove a McLaren for a while, then swapped to an H3 because of the road. It's a weird office campus.

The suspension is actually fantastic, even with the local roads. I just realized I don't love having a convertible here. When I had my Cayman, I'd take it out no matter what the weather looked like it was going to do. With the Spyder I found myself looking at the weather forecast and looking for reasons not to take the car out/trying to figure out whether I wanted the top up or down. My wife also doesn't love riding with the top down, so that doesn't help either.

For my next fun car I'm going back to some sort of coupe.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Sucks man, my wife didn’t get my need for a drop top until I got it and she went out a few times on nice days and now I expect she would stop me selling it. It sounds like you were at the same point I was with my Challenger last year where I looked at it and wondered if I really wanted to take it out or if the truck would be better.

I expect in a few years I will want to chop the 986 in for a newer Boxster or 911 vert but right now it is cheap fun to throw around the mountains on nice days.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BigPaddy posted:

Sucks man, my wife didn’t get my need for a drop top until I got it and she went out a few times on nice days and now I expect she would stop me selling it. It sounds like you were at the same point I was with my Challenger last year where I looked at it and wondered if I really wanted to take it out or if the truck would be better.

I expect in a few years I will want to chop the 986 in for a newer Boxster or 911 vert but right now it is cheap fun to throw around the mountains on nice days.

Honestly, it was the first convertible I've ever had and it made me realize I'm not really a convertible guy. There's something I really dislike about being seen in a car, especially a somewhat flashy one. My wife just dislikes the heat, loudness, and hair issues. She felt the same way when we rented a Fiat 124 on vacation. :shrug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
my wife would almost certainly prefer a drop top and i do not

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I can't tell yet if I am a convertible guy or just a miata guy.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Took my cayman on the track, its loving incredible. Even with traction control all the way off, it is extremely well behaved. You literally have to stomp the brakes mid corner to get the rear out, and getting back on the throttle just naturally straightens it out with the factory suspension/tire setup.

I was going 50% faster than in my ND and it felt much more glued down. When you take a turn at 70 in the ND you feel like death is imminent. Do it in the Cayman and you might as well have a cup of tea at the same time.

Also, shoutout to the porsche dealership (in for warranty water pump replacement) who is trying to convince me my tires are about to blow apart and wouldn't you know it they have tires in stock and a special on alignment for 199! Why are you like this.

I gave them a thorough inspection with my track instructor yesterday after the cooldown laps, they're still at like 60-75% lol.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Residency Evil posted:

Honestly, it was the first convertible I've ever had and it made me realize I'm not really a convertible guy.

My dad has had a couple of convertibles over the years (a Triumph TR6 when I was a kid and a Buick Wildcat many years later) and what I learned from them is that convertibles are great to ride around in with the top down on a very small number of days every year. It can’t be too hot or too cold or too sunny; for what ends up being the vast majority of days you want the roof up, and then you’re dealing with the extra noise that comes with a convertible roof and potentially water leaking if it’s raining (maybe these are bigger issues with older cars) and stuff that you don’t have to worry about with hardtop.

And that’s before any other considerations like not liking being seen as you are in a car with no roof.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
I'm kind of an anti-social weirdo so I like to drive in my confined little box with the engine noise to keep me company. Same thing with music, actually, I love a lot of different stuff but don't really like going to live shows.

Also, please rate my taste in new wheels (19"):

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Scionix posted:

I'm kind of an anti-social weirdo so I like to drive in my confined little box with the engine noise to keep me company. Same thing with music, actually, I love a lot of different stuff but don't really like going to live shows.

Also, please rate my taste in new wheels (19"):

I love convertibles - used to commute down the 280 in the Bay Area with the top down rain or shine - but have reluctantly given them up

As to the wheels 8/10 I think you did pretty well but for me the best OEM wheel is the one that came with the R/Spyder

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Here are some photos of my recently acquired race car. I really wanted a Cayman, but there are zero for sale in my state, and with the border closures here in Australia, it'd be a 4 week long, multiple-quarantine nightmare trek to get one from somewhere else.

2.7, 5 speed manual, not many options other than Bose sound, but I see that as less to go wrong overall.

I pretty much paid Corolla money for it. Being a 2008, and having already grenaded one engine after a lifetime of dealer services, lightning couldn't strike twice, right? :ohdear:

(I mean, I have the warranty, but I'd rather not use it.)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Here4DaGangBang posted:

My dad has had a couple of convertibles over the years (a Triumph TR6 when I was a kid and a Buick Wildcat many years later) and what I learned from them is that convertibles are great to ride around in with the top down on a very small number of days every year. It can’t be too hot or too cold or too sunny; for what ends up being the vast majority of days you want the roof up, and then you’re dealing with the extra noise that comes with a convertible roof and potentially water leaking if it’s raining (maybe these are bigger issues with older cars) and stuff that you don’t have to worry about with hardtop.

And that’s before any other considerations like not liking being seen as you are in a car with no roof.

Yup, that's been my experience too, including the roof that leaks a tiny bit.

Lesson learned!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I like the idea of a convertible, but wouldn't want to actually own one. Hell, I'd rather my coupe didn't even have a sunroof.

I've got the bike of the open air fun :3:

metaxus posted:

Here are some photos of my recently acquired race car. I really wanted a Cayman, but there are zero for sale in my state, and with the border closures here in Australia, it'd be a 4 week long, multiple-quarantine nightmare trek to get one from somewhere else.

2.7, 5 speed manual, not many options other than Bose sound, but I see that as less to go wrong overall.

I pretty much paid Corolla money for it. Being a 2008, and having already grenaded one engine after a lifetime of dealer services, lightning couldn't strike twice, right? :ohdear:

(I mean, I have the warranty, but I'd rather not use it.)
I like the look of that. Boderline base car supremacy :hfive:

How old is the engine? I presume IMS?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Sorry about your 4 seasons, try living in a better place.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

winter owns

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

I like the idea of a convertible, but wouldn't want to actually own one. Hell, I'd rather my coupe didn't even have a sunroof.

I've got the bike of the open air fun :3:

08 would make IMS unlikely but bore scoring was still possible.

Nice car, I wish I had a vert around here but Australia seems like a prime place for one.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

slidebite posted:

The replacement engine number (according to the documentation) starts with 658, so looks like another 2008 engine. The shop that replaced the engine told me IMS, but they did it about 6 months ago so not 100% sure how accurate that is.

Jymmybob posted:

08 would make IMS unlikely but bore scoring was still possible.

Nice car, I wish I had a vert around here but Australia seems like a prime place for one.

It's only a 2.7, which AFAIK isn't susceptible to bore scoring, but based on what the shop said, it was an IMS issue.

The replacement engine is very clean... Not quite crate long engine clean, but it seems like they took care in installing it.

It is. I'm on the west coast, which has 9 months of nice weather every year, and only 3 cool months.

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Was looking at a 996 Cab 4S but the deal seems to have fallen apart, as he's apparently going to trade it for a boat instead. So now adjusting the plan, and looking at a Boxster.

There are two locally that look decent at the same price, and would like some feedback.

2004 Boxster S
134,800 km
IMS replaced, new clutch and flywheel
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/porsche/boxster/richmond/british%20columbia/19_11515684_

2005 Boxster
101,000 km
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/porsche/boxster/victoria/british%20columbia/19_11395318_

The more powerful and seemingly sorted 986 S, verses 987

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

If you don’t care about egg lights as some do get the S.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fortunately it looks like that hideous yellow poo poo is a cover for the wheel but i puked a little in my own mouth when i saw it

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Also voting S. I'd much rather have a car that someone spared no expense on maintaining than one with a little less age or miles, S or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

another loser
Mar 25, 2001

Jymmybob posted:

Also voting S. I'd much rather have a car that someone spared no expense on maintaining than one with a little less age or miles, S or not.

Thinking the same and judging by the other cars in their garage, they cared about it.