Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Why do none of the Japanese markets I have access to (Mitsuwa, Marukai/Tokyo Central, Nijiya Market) accept EBT? :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That Old Ganon posted:

Why do none of the Japanese markets I have access to (Mitsuwa, Marukai/Tokyo Central, Nijiya Market) accept EBT? :negative:

I recognize those names. Are you in San Diego? Try some non-Japanese stores, they'll often have most everything you can find at Japanese markets. 99 Ranch takes EBT, I think.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've only found the delicious big boxes of Vermont curry at Nijiya market :(

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I recognize those names. Are you in San Diego? Try some non-Japanese stores, they'll often have most everything you can find at Japanese markets. 99 Ranch takes EBT, I think.
I'm in Los Angeles for the moment.

I know that 99 Ranch takes EBT mercifully, as does H-Mart. I just find it strange and annoying that the Japanese markets don't

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
a lot of the old guard japanese restaurants and convenience stores in the LA area are to this day are cash only. i cannot explain it

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

a lot of the old guard japanese restaurants and convenience stores in the LA area are to this day are cash only. i cannot explain it

It’s an old school zen bushido thing called クリーム

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just made a Japanese cheesecake. It came out with the perfect consistency and biting into that warm piece of cake transported me back to my Japan vacation and the first night in Osaka last October.

Sadly I botched the flipping of the cake out of the pan because I used the wrong parchment so all the nice brown crust stuck to the paper. Oh well, I can always try again tomorrow since we are under curfew.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

hakimashou posted:

It’s an old school zen bushido thing called クリーム

脱税

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anyone have a great shoyu ikura marinade recipe? I want to get this right.

e: also, has anyone gotten uni from H-Mart? Is it any good?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 13, 2020

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Does anyone have a good recipe or two for homemade dashi? I'm looking to make miso soup.

I've got:
bonito flakes
kombu
dried shiitake
white miso
noodles
rice
wakame, scallions, soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar

which I think is pretty much everything I might need, don't have any tofu though and not about to make a special trip to the grocery store for that.

I tried making dashi once and it was really bitter, it seems like there's a sweet spot of cooking your bonito and kombu long enough to get flavor out of it but not too long before it gets gnarly.

Much appreciated!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
You shouldn't cook the kombu leaf AFAIK, just add it, steep it and remove. The dashi I made was water, kombu and bonito flakes. I'll check my cookbook for a recipe.

Found it: This is from a book I bought in Hiroshima last October, it has Japanese and English and generally is good for home cooking. However, he cooks the kombu and also wipes it first. Other recipes say don't wipe and don't cook. I found its trial an error.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 17, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fritz the Horse posted:

I tried making dashi once and it was really bitter, it seems like there's a sweet spot of cooking your bonito and kombu long enough to get flavor out of it but not too long before it gets gnarly.

Bitter usually comes from boiling the kombu. Get cold water to start with, a liter or so is a good amount (dashi can be frozen for quick use later!). Add a piece of kombu. For a liter probably about 4x4 cm is good, there are probably rules but I never measure for dashi really. Let the kombu soak in the cold water at least half an hour, but you can leave it overnight if you want. When you're ready, bring the water to a bare simmer. Do not let it boil. Once it's getting close to boiling, take the kombu out. You can save this to eat it or make dashi again, I rarely bother.

Now add your katsuobushi. Again, I don't really measure but I am pretty generous with it. Turn off the heat and let it sit a couple minutes. The katsuo will sink to the bottom. Strain and you're done.

That's your basic dashi. Niboshi or Korean style, swap the katsuo for dried sardines or anchovies (the distinction is squishy). This you will have to boil about ten minutes to extract the flavor, but still don't boil the kombu. You can add your dried shiitakes at the beginning if you want to use that flavor too, boiling them doesn't really matter. Do eat them in something else though.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 17, 2020

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
If you want to get as much as you can out of your bonito flakes, save them after straining and get a second pot of water going and make dashi again using the same kombu and bonito. This will be a lighter, less flavorful niban dashi that can be used for stuff that needs some umami and a bit of flavor but doesn't need or suffers under the full dashi flavor.

Portion into cup sized servings, label, and freeze any dashi you won't be using in the next week or so. Dashi is a very quick stock to make but if you're just using a cup at a time for miso soup I always end up with enough I need to freeze to have it not go off before I use it.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Thanks all, I made a liter using proportions in Hopper's recipe but didn't boil the kombu, it turned out pretty decent and not bitter.

Is the 20-25g of katsuoboshi correct? Because that seemed like a hell of a lot more than I've used in the past, the couple times I've made dashi I just used a generous handful or two.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I do a cold water start with the kombu, bring slowly to 140F, remove kombu, bring to 176F, add katsuo and steep for 1.5 minutes.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Oh and I used shiitake soak water for about half of the liter of dashi water, then added the rehydrated mushrooms and some scallions to the finished miso soup. Was tasty!

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I love the dashi recipe section on sirogohan - https://www.sirogohan.com/feature/dasi.php

The style you're making is the first on the list. Here's the google-translated site https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sirogohan.com%2Frecipe%2Fdasi%2F
If there are some particular points that don't make sense, one of us can translate it for you. It seems relatively clear though.

e: there's also a youtube video on their channel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTvoZWbVcZk

Mongoose fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 18, 2020

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Fritz the Horse posted:

Thanks all, I made a liter using proportions in Hopper's recipe but didn't boil the kombu, it turned out pretty decent and not bitter.

Is the 20-25g of katsuoboshi correct? Because that seemed like a hell of a lot more than I've used in the past, the couple times I've made dashi I just used a generous handful or two.

When I make dashi I use about 1/3 of a pack of katsobushi, which makes it rather expensive as a pack is about 6 to 7€.
It seems like a lot of flakes because it weighs next to nothing.

In his Ramen School series Adam Liaw uses 45g katsuobushi, 17 g kombu and 3l water for his ramen dashi broth. But I think it depends largely on the richness of the dashi you want, I have no better explanation though as I only just started to dabble in Japanese cooking.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've been thinking about how as far as I know there isn't much in the way of soupless noodle dishes in Japan the way there is everywhere else, so I figured I'd try out a few things in that line. This is my first experiment, teriyaki udon and it came out p well. Did a couple chicken thighs in the pressure cooker with teriyaki and a bit of thin sliced onion, pulled the chicken and chopped it, reduced the sauce and stir fried in some snap peas and the udon. If any of you can think of anything along these lines I should try, or try it yourself that'd be cool. Thought I might like to try something based around yuzu kosho next.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

Stringent posted:

I've been thinking about how as far as I know there isn't much in the way of soupless noodle dishes in Japan the way there is everywhere else, so I figured I'd try out a few things in that line. This is my first experiment, teriyaki udon and it came out p well. Did a couple chicken thighs in the pressure cooker with teriyaki and a bit of thin sliced onion, pulled the chicken and chopped it, reduced the sauce and stir fried in some snap peas and the udon. If any of you can think of anything along these lines I should try, or try it yourself that'd be cool. Thought I might like to try something based around yuzu kosho next.

Looks good. Mazesoba is probably my favorite soupless noodle dish--the garlic chives, bonito powder, garlic, egg yolk and sauce all mix together into a super satisfying allium umami bomb.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i finally made yakisoba on a big griddle instead of a regular pan, and it turned out much, much better than all my previous attempts

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i was also impressed with my corner store in the middle of this whitebread suburb actually carrying pork belly

i miss my old mitsuwa so much

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Australia loves it some pork belly so you can buy it in mainstream supermarkets really easily.
I’m also very lucky in that I have a Japanese food shop in my suburb so I can get frozen pork belly there, sliced to different thicknesses for different dishes as well as a load of other imported Japanese ingredients.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Helith posted:

Australia loves it some pork belly so you can buy it in mainstream supermarkets really easily.
I’m also very lucky in that I have a Japanese food shop in my suburb so I can get frozen pork belly there, sliced to different thicknesses for different dishes as well as a load of other imported Japanese ingredients.

I live in Melbourne in the eastern suburbs and even at the largest and most mainstream supermarkets we have international sections with decent Korean, Chinese and Japanese stuff to cook with, and obviously way more selection at local Asian grocers.

So the wife and I cooked this ramen recipe up because our favourite Japanese place has closed due to lockdown restrictions

https://www.marionskitchen.com/easy-tantanmen-ramen/

I always thought it was pointless to cook ramen at home unless you went the whole hog and did it for days etc. but this one was amazing considering it takes like no time at all. Like obviously not as good as a good Japanese joint but again the effort / time to quality ratio is pretty good.

This one had you making a paste with sesame paste / soy sauce / spring onion / vinegar and chilli oil. Then the broth being soy milk and stock. Mix it into the paste in the bowl then put your meat / noodles etc in. I was surprised at how well it turned out and had a fairly full bodied feel to the broth despite cooking it for like less than 30 minutes.

I love love love having really garlicy ramen, and a few places have had a black garlic tonkotsu ramen. Is there a similar not take two days version anyone has? Sorry I feel like a lot of words to lead up to this. I’ve looked up heaps of them but haven’t really seen any that jump out at me.

I kinda thought about doing a similar thing to above but the paste have garlic instead of spring onions and lose the chilli oil and put more soy sauce in perhaps? (Obviously then do a pork sauce more suited to top on it) I felt the soy milk + stock/ broth into the paste really made the dish feel right so I’d be interested in seeing more that way?

Sorry for the rambling!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Tonkotsu is a 30 hour broth. There are other, less time consuming pork broths you can make. They are usually ginger/scallion flavored. Braise the bones, cook for ~5-6 hours or until viscous. Then make a black garlic tare of some kind.

Sorry for the edit fest, it's going to be like that. I have a ridiculous amount of experience with ramen and filtering it down to something people understand and will listen to is kinda brain draining. I just finished reading the tan-tan men recipe: you can do better. Their stock is garbo. Take out your stock pot; use that to sweat the aromatics and pre-cook the meat (just til light brown). WITHOUT REMOVING (that's where they hosed up the soup) add the broth, the tobandjan ( or add it at the end of the meat browning really, don't get it too hot, it loses potency) and the sesame paste whisked separately with some stock and the soy. Now, when they stock is done, strain out the meat and aromatics, brown them in the pan like you do to finish it, and add the broth. The flavor is actually in the broth this time.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 6, 2020

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

I apologize in advance for my crimes against cooking....

While I'm not on an explicit diet, I have been trying to do a general low-carb thing recently to lose some weight. Due to the recent abundance of spare time indoors, I started to brainstorm something new in my cooking journal.... Low-carb/Keto Nigiri.

In short, we're going to substitute the traditional sticky rice with riced cauliflower and gelatin.

The setup:

Ingredients
- 1 Cauliflower, poached, riced, strained with a cheese cloth. Came out to about 2 cups.
- 1.5 Tbsp Gelatin Powder
- 1.5 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar

Those last 3 can be tweaked to taste. I will probably add a bit more next time.

oh yeah, and a fish of your choosing.

Including this picture because wasabi is supposed to go between the fish and the rice, but you'll only see that done in a high-end sushi restaurant in the states. The reason for this is because not all westerners like the spicy wasabi, so you typically see it on the side. This sucks because when you have to put it on intentionally, you put it on top of the fish, which means it's what hits the roof of your mouth, it's all you taste and it overpowers everything else. This kinda creates a feedback loop for a lot of people, like no poo poo you didn't like the wasabi that blew out your sinuses and caked your mouth like peanut butter. Sorry, just had to get that rant out.

Side cut to give you a better idea of the texture.

End result:

The flavor was actually spot on. Since rice, cauliflower and gelatin are all fairly bland, the real flavor of sushi rice comes from the vinegar, sugar and salt.

The texture was obviously different, but not terrible. Sticky rice has a nice soft chew to it. The riced cauliflower was closer to something like.... If you've ever had grits for breakfast, and then you come back like an hour later and the grits have congealed together? That but a little thicker.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
You could try getting a big daikon radish and grating it up and using that in place of the rice.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hi Goons With... uh, Chopsticks?

I’ve always loved Japanese food, finally decided I could try cooking more Japanese food at home about one and a half years ago after my first trip to Tokyo, have been cooking all kinds of stuff ever since. Then in the autumn of last year I saw Hirokazu Kore-eda’s film Our Little Sister which features food and cooking in a big role to show and build the relationships between the characters. I tried to see if anyone had gone through all the different meals in the film, came to the conclusion that no one had (at least in English) and figured I could do it myself, so now I have a little blog about it. Not a pro or even a particularly good chef or anything, just want to try cooking different stuff.

Here’s what I’ve covered so far:

Breakfast (miso soup, rice, tsukemono, natto)
Bento box (tonkatsu)
Tempura and zaru soba

Coming up next: Chikaramochi (will attempt to make this tomorrow and write the post next week-ish), aji furai, umeshu (will only be drinking this, not making it lol), another breakfast... if you’ve seen the film, you know they eat tons of stuff!

If you want to read about the background of this project in more detail, you can do that here and check this out you want to know where to get your Japanese groceries in Helsinki, Finland, for some reason!

Honestly I’ve always been too intimidated to post in GWS because y’all seem pretty loving hardcore, but now I’m here, postin’!!!! Maybe someone here will dig my project or wants to check out the super excellent fuckin film because of it, who knows.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Also not related to the blog: I’ve been having entirely too much fun experimenting with agar agar lately. I’ll jellify anything that’s liquid

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Tried making anko today. The actual beans were expensive as hell so I bought a bag of azuki bean powder instead. It was extremely exciting to make because a) I had to Google Translate the instructions (the app’s camera function is basically magic) and wasn’t sure how it’d turn out and b) the end result is 100% perfect and I’m super happy

Making mochi for the first time ever tomorrow!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

extradite THIS! posted:

Tried making anko today. The actual beans were expensive as hell so I bought a bag of azuki bean powder instead. It was extremely exciting to make because a) I had to Google Translate the instructions (the app’s camera function is basically magic) and wasn’t sure how it’d turn out and b) the end result is 100% perfect and I’m super happy

Making mochi for the first time ever tomorrow!

do it as part of a pair and get your fingers crushed. it's traditional

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I succeeded in making mochi and feel essentially omnipotent right now. Bow down before your new god

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

do it as part of a pair and get your fingers crushed. it's traditional

Unfortunately I made it by my lonesome and also from flour so the hammering bit wasn’t necessary. However now my kitchen is pretty much covered in corn starch

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
How did you like them? I tried once and they turned out decent but not great, something about using flour I guess. Also they became "stale" rather quickly. Plus I had just returned from Japan where I had loads of the real things so it was never gonna be close to my expectations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

They were good! I’m by no means a mochi expert but I do love them and was super pleased with how they turned out. Very close to the stuff I can get in Finland, which is usually Taiwanese or Thai mochi, authentic Japanese products would likely be insanely expensive and not keep that long.

The gongoro chikaramochi thing itself (mochi wrapped in anko) wasn’t my preferred way to do mochi, so the next time I make mochi I’ll probably try making daifuku instead.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Hopper posted:

Also they became "stale" rather quickly.

to be fair, all the japanese confectionary places i frequent tell you to eat what you buy within 24 hours. i'm not sure mochi can really be made to last if you don't have access to industrial preservatives

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sneak peek at my ”aji furai” blog post that’ll be going up in a couple of weeks

”Aji furai” is in quotation marks because it turns out finding mackerel and especially horse mackerel is fuckin impossible in Finland! I’m not surprised but still a bit sad because I wanted to try mackerel. Can’t remember having it before.

I ended up using a fish called vendace because that’s what was available in gutted but otherwise whole form and it’s a small fish like the horse mackerel. I don’t think it’s exactly similar in taste to mackerel but oh well, the main point for me was honestly the fact that the dish itself turned out looking and tasting good. Might’ve used Baltic herring but I have to admit I’m a complete noob when it comes to gutting fish and I didn’t want to try learning now - would prefer someone like my mom to teach me.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’m also sad that one of the most important ingredients in the film isn’t available here in any form. If anyone has ideas/suggestions for what I could replace whitebait with I would be very grateful. Other small fish? Squid?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Whitebait is just a catch all term for newly hatched fish, in Japan traditionally it's sardine/anchovy/herring. Sardine might be your best bet if you can get it fresh and whole. I know it's a traditional ingredient and was important for being one of the few calcium dense components of Japanese cuisine but it's absolutely terrible in terms of fish sustainability.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Whenever we get the assorted tempura at our favorite Japanese place there's always a couple of tiny filleted white fish with the tail attached and they're my absolute favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Whitebait are tiny tiny things, they're infant fish. You eat them by the pile. I'm not the biggest fan, they're usually kind of bitter when I have them but Japan loves its bitter fishy gut stuff that I have never been on board with. Other times they're just flavorless.

Those small whole fried fish are great. They're often a kind of loach called a dojo, though who knows what they are outside Japan.