Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

nikosoft posted:

Sweet, we just got our guidelines for what it looks like when we go back into the office. We have to take a daily survey about symptoms, receive a response email, forward that email to our managers, get our temp taken at the door, get a colored dot to put on our badges to indicate we are good that day, and wear a mask in common areas!! And then repeat that every single day.

Or... crazy idea, but bear with me here... we could just continue to work remote???

that’s insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I'm actually not adverse to the whole rigamarole because we do work for a fuckin' hospital and sometimes you do have to go on site to touch a computer or a ventilator or whatever and you want to be safe, but the other 99 percent of the time I can do my entire job from home, and in fact, we've been accomplished more than ever working from home trying to get the whole infrastructure sorted for covid.

But the directors have a hard on for opening 'em back up on Aug 1 for everyone :shrug:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

euphronius posted:

that’s insane

that's a state job, baby!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

euphronius posted:

that’s insane

That is pretty much our protocol at my work too.

Except we get masks all day bitches.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

nikosoft posted:

Sweet, we just got our guidelines for what it looks like when we go back into the office. We have to take a daily survey about symptoms, receive a response email, forward that email to our managers, get our temp taken at the door, get a colored dot to put on our badges to indicate we are good that day, and wear a mask in common areas!! And then repeat that every single day.

Or... crazy idea, but bear with me here... we could just continue to work remote???

We have a laminated piece of paper with symptoms on it, and we're asked if we have any of these. Then we get our temperature taken, this is all done by the receptionist, who comes in to work after my start time.

Half-assed.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

My work just laid off one of our three-person team and I'm going to be doing 1.5 people worth of work from now on so if they try to tell me to go to the office in October I am going to tell them verbatim to suck my dick from the back. I'm not going back. They need me too much to do poo poo about it, either. We're already sub-skeleton crew.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

PA continues to lead the nation in stupidity

https://twitter.com/6abc/status/1270727150237364224

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bob Socko posted:

Nah, it’s just mainstreaming gloryholes. Get people back to work as gloryhole installers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkUqbkN8cPg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik0iiEjoDHE

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
if our VPN wasn’t garbage and foreign countries would get their act together on accepting e-copies of documents I could wfm indefinitely. however in intl trade the global south wants actual paper to handle and a handwritten signature with a dozen stamps on it

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

sonatinas posted:

if our VPN wasn’t garbage and foreign countries would get their act together on accepting e-copies of documents I could wfm indefinitely. however in intl trade the global south wants actual paper to handle and a handwritten signature with a dozen stamps on it

10% of our company had its computers wiped this weekend because someone hacked the VPN and installed malware...and despite multiple “don’t logon to the VPN” emails....people logged on to the VPN

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Wamsutta posted:

CT Horror Story. I have been working from home since the start of March and am not going back to an office until October at the earliest, and I needed to get a desk and an office chair since working from couch has been causing awful back issues. Made the mistake of hitting IKEA on Monday afternoon. Sweet gently caress, it was just unbelievably bad. I had no idea that was their first day of OPEN ER UP. There were people on every fuckin inch of the floorspace. 100% mask compliance, between people bringing their own and IKEA handing out cheapies at the door, so there's that, but almost nobody made any attempt to observe any kind of distancing. I got out of there as quickly as possible and I never want to leave my house again. Just teeming throngs of fuckin humanity. The staff looked unbelievably demoralized and many were in tears.

Also my 68yo mother in law quit her part time job at TJ Maxx. This was supposed to be the first week she went back in but she spoke to a couple of coworkers who basically described the IKEA situation to her and she was like "yeah, nope, gently caress that. I'm high risk to start with, everyone in America is dumb and lovely, and I'm not paid enough to risk the rona."

Lol at a country where people in their late 60s have to work.

America :(

:(

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wamsutta posted:

CT Horror Story. I have been working from home since the start of March and am not going back to an office until October at the earliest, and I needed to get a desk and an office chair since working from couch has been causing awful back issues. Made the mistake of hitting IKEA on Monday afternoon. Sweet gently caress, it was just unbelievably bad. I had no idea that was their first day of OPEN ER UP. There were people on every fuckin inch of the floorspace. 100% mask compliance, between people bringing their own and IKEA handing out cheapies at the door, so there's that, but almost nobody made any attempt to observe any kind of distancing. I got out of there as quickly as possible and I never want to leave my house again. Just teeming throngs of fuckin humanity. The staff looked unbelievably demoralized and many were in tears.

Also my 68yo mother in law quit her part time job at TJ Maxx. This was supposed to be the first week she went back in but she spoke to a couple of coworkers who basically described the IKEA situation to her and she was like "yeah, nope, gently caress that. I'm high risk to start with, everyone in America is dumb and lovely, and I'm not paid enough to risk the rona."

Reminder that Laffer wanted people to have to give up Social Security in exchange for additional BernieBux.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

OPEN THE HELL UP *entire magazine as a warning shot*

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/JohnCornyn/status/1270739793530499073?s=19

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Chunky Salsa posted:

Indeed. And if we lived in a just place you would be correct in that the CDC's guidelines, as a separate entity themselves, are not bad

Unfortunately we must look what timeline we're in and ask ourselves what's going to happen with what schools are given

That's the real problem, y'see?

A little bit back, but it's probably good for a public health organization to offer correct and scientifically-informed advice without having to account for political realities or that the US is a degenerating dystopia. If you allow these kinds of organizations to tailor advice to what's politically convenient you get situations like the IPCC underestimating for decades how badly climate change is going to wreck civilization. If municipalities can't follow the somehow-actually-good CDC guidelines then that's on politicians and the crazy way US public schools are funded.

Also it's just recognizing that there's no safe-way to reopen schools during an uncontrolled epidemic without absurd protections, there's no way to sugarcoat that.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Springfield is the capital of the U.S. state of Illinois and the county seat and largest city of Sangamon County. As of 2019, the city's population was estimated to have decreased to 114,230,

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Crazyweasel posted:

FYI I think i said it before but this is a great Capitalism indicator of just how much the general public and America as a whole (society, economy, etc.) care about the elderly and those with disabilities. The fact that for many people the consistent takeaway from the Roni is that it kills the old (“close to death anyways”) and those with preexisting conditions (“poor them for being ‘sick’ already”) it is not a surprise we are opening ‘er up and are gonna brute force this poo poo for another year.

My brother has Type 1 diabetes and is on suppressors due to a kidney transplant so it really hits loving home how much people just want to roll his impending death in as a statistic!!!

and wait until you hear about how America treats minorities!

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Destruction seems like a strong word for "shutdown to further punish uppity communities".

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol at people on my work conference call that want to go back into work now even tho we are WFH until labor day at the minimum

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

??? Lmfao

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

actionjackson posted:

lol at people on my work conference call that want to go back into work now even tho we are WFH until labor day at the minimum

Lord Nurgle has possessed their brains like a cordyceps to spread the plague.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"
Current state of the country, caught between the cool zone and hot zone and opening everything up:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Covid testing sites are tents in parking lots.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Testing site destructions will continue until discipline is restored.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

gosh, we really didn't want to shoot those hostages, look what you made us do

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

actionjackson posted:

what is wrong with people

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

actionjackson posted:

Working-at-the-office fee: $100/day

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

Wamsutta posted:

If you're near a city, chances are there is a surplus office furniture place near you that delivers. Many of em are running "work from home" combo specials these days too. Gonna be more 2x-3x more expensive than Ikea, but the quality is waaaaaay better since it's actual office poo poo from an actual office and meant to be used 40 hours a week for years. Spending $800 on good used chair/desk combo for my home office was extremely worth it for me.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/sgrubermiller/status/1270761553634213894?s=19

OPEN

IT

UP

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the country is gonna collapse...again lol.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

a_pineapple posted:

If you're near a city, chances are there is a surplus office furniture place near you that delivers. Many of em are running "work from home" combo specials these days too. Gonna be more 2x-3x more expensive than Ikea, but the quality is waaaaaay better since it's actual office poo poo from an actual office and meant to be used 40 hours a week for years. Spending $800 on good used chair/desk combo for my home office was extremely worth it for me.

I'm waiting to spend actual money on my home office until I find out if I'm gonna make it through our first round of layoffs so I'm still using a folding table and a monitor stand that I built out of scrap wood.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

A good idea. I know a lot of people that could use some covid

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:lol: can't wait for Ohio to say "hold my beer" on this one

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
This is loving awesome. SCDEC is projecting cases are going to increase through the rest of the month. I mean of course they are but I didn't think you were allowed to say that out loud.

That's not cum cases, that's new cases.

I guess we're all just going to have to get this thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

nikosoft posted:

I work for a place that had to stay open and we used these precautions (I think there is some business owner guide or something that suggests them) and people still ended up getting it. It's starting to feel like security theater.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Thoguh posted:

I'm waiting to spend actual money on my home office until I find out if I'm gonna make it through our first round of layoffs so I'm still using a folding table and a monitor stand that I built out of scrap wood.

this is my wife's teach-from-home setup

I've held off on buying a good desk chair for similar concerns but my back is paying for it and I'll probably get one next month

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yesterday we had a patient come into the office who’d had his truck roll over his leg while he was working on it. Second time in two months that’s happened. We’ve got him in today for wound care but we have to wear advanced surgical gear because he hasn’t got his covid test back yet.

But we loving saw him in the office yesterday and the hospitals let him in without masks I ahahahahahaha just gently caress it who cares

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

Yesterday we had a patient come into the office who’d had his truck roll over his leg while he was working on it. Second time in two months that’s happened. We’ve got him in today for wound care but we have to wear advanced surgical gear because he hasn’t got his covid test back yet.

But we loving saw him in the office yesterday and the hospitals let him in without masks I ahahahahahaha just gently caress it who cares

You went to the gym when they opened.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

You went to the gym when they opened.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

This is loving awesome. SCDEC is projecting cases are going to increase through the rest of the month. I mean of course they are but I didn't think you were allowed to say that out loud.

That's not cum cases, that's new cases.

I guess we're all just going to have to get this thing.

Literally the only thing keeping me from saying "gently caress it" and not wearing a mask, going back into the office, going out again is the knowledge that I might hurt someone else by doing that. I have come to terms with the fact that I'm going to get it and so will most of my family, because we're so loving broken as a society that even mild measures to stop millions of deaths just got pushed aside.

I legit don't know what to do when everyone is wandering around pointing loaded guns at each other and insisting it's all cool and no one's gonna get shot stop overreacting