Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Are question marks allowed in names? hewwo? OwOperator? is exactly 18 characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

naem posted:

fun story- my national guard unit had been doing our two week annual training, out in the woods in bfe for most of the two weeks, sleeping rough, hadn’t had showers or warm meals for most of a week at that point as we drove around in humvees pretending to shoot at each other etc. whatever was it was we training for that day

they called us in for a warm breakfast- metal trays piled high with like, scrambled eggs, waffles with real fake maple syrup, fruit cocktail, actual hot food in abundance.

everyone’s kind gross looking and happy as gently caress about hot food, standing in line to get it then standing off to one side, chatting and laughing and munching on real actual food, not pretending that bad guys might attack

everyone was SUPPOSED to be wearing all their web-gear (suspender based canteens and pouches and etc etc) including gas masks at all times but a lot had abandoned all that as we lined up for breakfast.

anyways someone yelled GAS and dropped an actual tear-gas grenade in the middle of our group.

what was SUPPOSED to happen was a team of highly trained and motivated high speed solders would drop their delicious trays of grub to the the leaf lined woodsy ground and whip out our masks, donning them in 15 seconds (or, whatever something like that) and then bald eagles would trumpet the anthem because WE’RE THE BEST OF THE BEST

what ACTUALLY happened was that approximately 150 grown rear end adult men and women in filthy camo pants yelled NOOOOOO and took off into the woods, clutching metal trays, grabbing syrupy handfuls of mass produced cafeteria breakfast and stuffing it into their mouths as several high ranking whoever-the-fucks cursed a blue streak at our lack of, I don’t know what team spirit

imagine a dog that has a giant mouthful of waffle it has stolen runs away and you chase yelling WHAT HAVE YOU GOT IN YOUR MOUTH as it’s eyes goggle you wildly while desperately chewing it’s impossible large wad of stolen breakfast, now imagine 150 of them, now imagine it’s people

I have a masters digree

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol glad I wasn't the only one who saw that and knew it had to be here. God that last description of them fleeing is some Horse Posts level of makes me laugh uncontrollably every time I read it

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Power Khan posted:

I saw a docu about how the military AI arms race is probably going to doom us all, and then i remembered that the rushed mainland AI is going to be a chabuduo AI with chabuduo parts and chabuduo coding.

UltraRed posted:

"Open the pod bay doors HAL!"

*doors open 1 inch*

"chabuduo"

yaffle posted:

Skynet with Chinese characteristics.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

You missed the best one!

Teketeketeketeke posted:

I am CCPO, fluent in over 5000 years of history

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
[/quote]

Literally a bat

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Outrail posted:

Literally a bug

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
CCPO, lol.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

:five:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Charliegrs posted:

Oh yeah I'm pretty sure none of that happened. I think the plan was basically we will calvinball our way through the pandemic.

an amazing verb

Calvin posted:

Verbing weirds language.

dee eight has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Jun 9, 2020

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
double dip

zer0spunk posted:

my tombstone better have truck nutz goddamnit

how very american :patriot:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Zeeman posted:

Why were 8 year old twins sharing a king bed in the first place, what a bizarre sleeping arrangement

LadyPictureShow posted:

quote:

Because they wanted something they can jump on.
"And they can't jump on a twin size bed?"

quote:

Because a twin sized bed doesn't make a good wrestling ring.

Tashilicious posted:

hang on those are good points

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BrianBoitano posted:

The referenced material is also funny:
slightly :nws:
https://i.imgur.com/cAoR2Qk.png

yo, world, what the gently caress

OwlFancier posted:

What the gently caress you living in a well for???

Lobok posted:

Living in a well is the best revenge.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Mon Cherie, I got an idea for a painting. Get your kit off and get in the well. Now look angry. Now hold it there for the days.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Raiad posted:

miller's gonna use trump to announce the formation of the waacp

Jaxyon posted:

:stare:
what do you think the "n" stands for in naacp my dude

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

:stare: indeed

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

What with the start of 2020 now being several decades ago, events of the year 2016 have gone out of living memory entirely.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the lyin kween

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

So good

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I think I disapprove of "birth" as a verb when discussing food

Tashilicious posted:

paging elise

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Context: statues being removed in Belgium

RedSnapper posted:

Leopold II? More like Leopold =

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's an odd family tree; Leopold I, Leopold II, Leopold II again, and finally Leopold I_

Cat Mattress posted:

Leopold Old Slaver Scum.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The New York Times posted:

I was a grown rear end man when I first saw early SA and thought it was just a pile of monkeycheese. Maybe I didn’t try hard enough but checking back in years later it seemed like the kids had grown up enough for me to handle.

Trevor Hale posted:

Yeah I’m not surprised you loving whiffed on a scoop.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

elise the great posted:

Just because my chili came out of MY vagina instead of a COW’S

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

zedprime posted:

Tactical fidget spinner is not a phrase I needed to read when having an existential crisis about the absurdity of the world in 2020.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:vince:

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

My first forum recognition. Thank you.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

cumshitter continues to be a national treasure.

cumshitter posted:

This is what we call stolen glamour, or when heterosexuals present themselves as veteran gay men so that people will fawn over them. I recently attended a wedding where a man dressed in a Franco-Prussian military dress uniform was telling people that he flew a Fokker Triplane during his several tours of Stonewall.

I knew something was off about his story but I was having trouble picking it apart until he also claimed that upon returning to civilian life he became an Account executive for Capital Under Management. That's when I knew he was lying.

I tore his Iron Cross, Knight Commander of the Indian Empire, and Athenean Militia Leader badges from his sash and laid into him so hard he ran out of the wedding crying.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Goons describing the many, varied, ridiculous bugs in dwarf fortress will never not be incredible.

egg tats posted:

everyone always talks about the cats getting drunk bug, and they should because it's a funny story, but no one ever talks about my favorite bug: the time Toady put in the wrong values when he was setting minerals melting and evaporation points, so he loaded up a save and the entire ground immediately puffed away into a cloud of steam

scamtank posted:

didn't watch that, did they mention the update that had geese laying eggs that were actually iron thrones

Vengarr posted:

Someone in the Rimworld thread mentioned accidentally changing the boiling point of blood to the point where dwarves would literally explode when exposed to sunlight. Limbs and beards flying everywhere.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The history of DF bugs is unbelievably wild and immense, especially if you use the expanded definition of 'bug' to include 'features that were intended but had unintended consequences which should have been obvious'. Originally, dwarves that created artifacts would haul them around possessively for a period of time that extended from 'a few months' to 'indefinitely', which is all well and good when they make an artifact andesite ring, but would lead the creators of artifact lead floodgates to frequently starve trying to drag their perfect, immaculate lodestone from place to place.

-Then there was the time dwarves were completely, consistently eating poo poo in combat because it turns out the math was wrong and they were half or less the size they were actually supposed to be.

-More recently there was Toady adding riding mounts, but it turns out that that worked by sending commands into their psyche and so undead mounts couldn't be controlled because there was no soul into which to input your riding commands.

-Occasionally monsters that took over civilizations would, as citizens of that civilization, grant you quests to destroy the monster that took over that civilization. (Proposing to call this 'pulling a Roger Muirebe')

-Then there was loyalty cascades, that might or might not be finally fully fixed, where kinslaying within a civ could set off a rage-virus cascade of conflicted loyalties (since the aggressor would become an enemy of your civ and then be attacked by members of your civ but then because they're a member of your civ that would make those that attacked them an enemy of your civ but also an enemy of theirs so you'd have factional civil wars).

-Then there was the time the boiling point of fat got set too low so everybody's fat boiled out and sloughed out onto the ground at the start of every embark, leaving wounded, fatless, but still-living dwarves.

-Then there was the time that some material (some specific kind of wood, I think) had an ignition temp set too low so sometimes your wagon would flashpoint into a raging inferno on embark.

-Then there was the period of time that the 'restricted' pathing weight literally made tiles inaccessible to the pathing algorithm, and since all entities follow the path weights (including invaders), you could make your fortress completely safe from invasion by sternly telling the opposing army that they weren't allowed in.

-Then there were the oft-previously-discussed undead sponges that could still charge and crush dwarves with their immense mass while being totally immune to beheading and thus, at the time, immortal.

-Then there was the period of time early in the 3d builds where you could embark on existing sites and steal all their stuff (or sap an enemy goblin tower by establishing a dwarven camp at the base and undermining it)

Hell, most of us have probably experienced bugs which we couldn't quite figure out how to even report and haven't seen or experienced since. One of my fortresses was attacked by a dragon that, after killing half the population and setting several fires, settled down and became a permanent, essentially neutral inhabitant that often hung out in the hospital or dining hall and which mutually ignored my dwarves.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Also remembered how much I loved that a military unit that fell onto a spike could, at very low odds, critically succeed and successfully dodge, parry, or block the spike with a shield or armor. Since fall damage ramped up massively with distance, and experience rewarded was commensurate with the blow averted, this would instantly lead the unit to being something like Legendary+12 in whatever skill was used to escape death. Throwing your military conscripts off a cliff until one of them successfully developed superpowers and blocked the entire earth was a legitimate shortcut to power.

So Math posted:

If you're bringing up the mount code, you have to mention that dwarves carrying their babies were considered as mounts on the first iteration. So, the parent would follow the pathing AI of the baby (crawl on the floor randomly), until they starved to death.

An earlier version of the simulation knew what parts go in a body, but not where they are located. It was possible to pierce both a dwarf's eyes with a singe arrow and cause no other injuries. The game was calculating chance to hit for each individual body part, which also meant that dwarves who were already missing body parts were better at dodging attacks.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

JacquelineDempsey posted:

cumshitter continues to be a national treasure.

I thought all the people whose idea of comedy gold were gimmick posters making walls of text without a single joke in them were run off long ago but alas.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sleeveless posted:

I thought all the people whose idea of comedy gold were gimmick posters making walls of text without a single joke in them were run off long ago but alas.

Pot, kettle, etc.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sleeveless posted:

lol have you ever posted anything that wasn't a complaint or tedious correction

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I think my favorite DF bug was parents using their kids as weapons in battle

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

This is why I infiltrated the Arby’s fandom to occasionally post “seen better beef but bun was ok 2/5 stars”

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sleeveless posted:

Have you ever had an interesting thought you joyless dullard

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kitfox88 posted:

I think my favorite DF bug was parents using their kids as weapons in battle

why would they patch this out :(

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen him change opinions in the same thread just because the consensus had changed in the opposite direction. He is absolutely miserable and part of me admires that dedication to contrarianism, he is the goon who overanalyzes goons the way goons have always overanalyzed the rest of the Internet, a goon squared.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen him change opinions in the same thread just because the consensus had changed in the opposite direction. He is absolutely miserable and part of me admires that dedication to contrarianism, he is the goon who overanalyzes goons the way goons have always overanalyzed the rest of the Internet, a goon squared.

Square goon? Thought we only came in round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Freudian posted:

I feel like this is the least and most sexual thing I've seen all day.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Turn on your monitor.