Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

:lmao: just hit my opponent for 40 damage. Missed the exact moment though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
God I love the bullshit miracles I can pull with spell mage. Demon Hunter triggers my Netherwind Portal on his turn 7, I get an Archmage Vargoth. I'm down to 4 life, but he's already played and lost his Altruis.

On my turn 8, I cast Power of Creation and choose two Sunwalkers. Vargoth triggers and gets me two Lords of the Arena. He looks at the board for about four seconds and concedes.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Idk about goldgrubber. Tribe agnostic razorgore at t4 seems like a pain in the rear end.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Fenarisk posted:

True, but at their core all card games are 90% RNG and 10% skill. Poker is no different.

In any given hand/game, yeah. Over thousands and thousands of them, the ratio flips.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
worth watching the latest trolden for the turn 5 warlock quest completion into turn 6 29 damage from hand https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSpKnG5yeJU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Fenarisk posted:

True, but at their core all card games are 90% RNG and 10% skill. Poker is no different.

Maybe you're not expressing exactly what you mean, but to me this outlook is completely wrongheaded. This would only be the case in a 1v1 environment over a short time span in which both players are near identical skill. Identical skill is also something of a misnomer, because two players who are roughly equally skilled against the world at large might have different odds against one another due to differences in technique/style, but regardless.

Poker is not 90% luck and 10% skill at any point, not even in a single hand, because every hand has multifarious decision points at each stage. You control your actions at every stage and adapt to the cards dealt and come up on the flop etcetc.

Just as the role of luck is much higher in the short term against a player of similar skill, you should conceive of luck in the same way. Over a longer time span, game dependent, every player's luck balances out. And in fact, it balances it out far more equally than a player can be identical to another in terms of skill. Play the same stakes over and over for a year and your results at the end when tallied up will be almost 100% based on skill, not luck.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

peer posted:

worth watching the latest trolden for the turn 5 warlock quest completion into turn 6 29 damage from hand https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSpKnG5yeJU

That video also shows why I think DQA should be an include in Raz Priest for the potential instant win of pulling Coldarra Drake.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Galk priest tip: Sathrovarr is a pretty great tech card for control matchups — especially mirror matches. You can discount it to 8 pretty easily with Fate Weaver and potentially like 6 with generated Fate Weavers.

Sathrovarring your Prime for massive board presence or your proto-prime for fatigue protection are both super viable. It’s definitely a dead draw in a lot of matchups, but the deck doesn’t really suffer from it and it bumps your control / fatigue winrate up significantly.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
40k dust, looking to get back into this dumb thing. Looks like top tier is warriors right now? Maybe highlander hunter? What’s worth the dust these days? Would it be better to go to wild instead of standard?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

40k dust, looking to get back into this dumb thing. Looks like top tier is warriors right now? Maybe highlander hunter? What’s worth the dust these days? Would it be better to go to wild instead of standard?

Demon hunter costs basically nothing. Use that to get your rank up, see what decks you're against you like the look of. If you're doing wild, craft Baku and Genn.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Warrior is top tier but requires a ton of skill and practice to play correctly and will punish you if you don’t.

Demon Hunter is also top tier and compared to Warrior is pretty simple. Once you get a feel for how to mulligan and what removal to play around you’re 90% of the way there.

Hunter, Priest, Warlock, Druid, and Mage are all pretty much jockeying for 3rd place.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Odd DH in Wild is also relatively dirt-cheap while still being pretty viable. Aside from Baku, the core cards are mostly freebies from their Basic set or commons/rares.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

:laffo: that's a baron rivendare on the far right

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Yeah the parrot is disgusting and I love him a lot. Im still trying to figure out the most broken way to use him in the end game, I wound up with parrots and death rattle wolves and hydras and nothing else apart from rivendare last time.

E: I had another disgusting game with parrots and hydras, this time on illidan which is insane when it gets going. I just ran up against a final boss with zapp which is the best reason to run golden spawn over wolf I think but he still went down bc his build was some rat pack hyena trash. I think you could probably do a lot of disgusting stuff with other tribes and spawn but I keep hitting wolf/hydra build and it's gross

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 11, 2020

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Even after this tutorial I have no idea what I'm doing with Battlegrounds.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The parrot goes insanely well with illidan. He’s one of the scariest heroes now imo

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The macaw wolf builds are pretty nasty. Just had a golden macaw+golden wolf+ regular baron. That's what? +32/+32 stats?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Yeah, that’s a +8/+8 to beasts deathrattle that triggers twice, twice. The combined effect of Baron + Macaw gets pretty out of control as you gild them. If they were all gold it’d be +48/+48.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Even after this tutorial I have no idea what I'm doing with Battlegrounds.

ya buy some minions, they auto-attack randon targets, whoever has minions standing wins the round.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
DH is more like Tier 2 RN. It's good but not the best.

It is cheap though.

Yestermoment posted:

ya buy some minions, they auto-attack randon targets, whoever has minions standing wins the round.

For advanced players, buy minions with keywords or tribal tags that synergize with your hero.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
VS shows DH as Tier 1

https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-165/

HS Replay shows it as Tier 2 but HS Replay isn't always on the mark about this stuff.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qaHp_jLqqGQcS5U5IbievMK9fb-XJ1qgkJVr_yJFoYU/edit

If you choose any specific tier, DH is tier 1. And that document also has an explanation of why Murloc Paladin is shown as Tier 1 when in fact it's not even in the tier discussion.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 12, 2020

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Is there some insane suicide-aggro Warlock deck someone is streaming? Because I just lost to it and it looks cool as hell but their un was hidden so I couldn't message them for it.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Unfortunately my rank is not 6969

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Mayveena posted:

VS shows DH as Tier 1

https://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-165/

HS Replay shows it as Tier 2 but HS Replay isn't always on the mark about this stuff.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qaHp_jLqqGQcS5U5IbievMK9fb-XJ1qgkJVr_yJFoYU/edit

If you choose any specific tier, DH is tier 1. And that document also has an explanation of why Murloc Paladin is shown as Tier 1 when in fact it's not even in the tier discussion.

Looking at D4 to D1 I'm surprised Spell Druid is so high. Facing it, it feels like if you can survive the first wave of Glowflies you have a good chance of beating it (I played control to D5) but now that I'm trying other decks I've been playing it myself and boy does it fall over in a heap if you don't draw any ramp. I'm trying the Dragon version from a few pages ago though, not the more token focused one.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Spell Druid has a large number of highrolls possible AND can exploit opponent lowrolls. It’s usually win hard / lose hard kinda deck.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Kalko posted:

Looking at D4 to D1 I'm surprised Spell Druid is so high. Facing it, it feels like if you can survive the first wave of Glowflies you have a good chance of beating it (I played control to D5) but now that I'm trying other decks I've been playing it myself and boy does it fall over in a heap if you don't draw any ramp. I'm trying the Dragon version from a few pages ago though, not the more token focused one.

In the Dragon version the Glowflies are meant as a first wave distraction, preparing for the 2nd and 3rd wave.

But builds have been improved since then, adding the 2nd and 3rd wave power while maintaining the Savage Roar/Soul of the Forest highroll.

I think given mulligans and all the early card draw, the deck is like ~80% to hit ramp on curve.

Also in the very first match of the Masters Tour right now, xBlyzes's Druid was banned JUST SAYIN'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moTVPrCcSjg

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Oh yeah, I'm sure I'm playing it badly, I just had a string of games with zero or one ramp card in the first five turns and it's like, I guess I'll just do some removal and wait? I feel like burning through removal to stay afloat is probably fine because of how much draw there is, but when you end up playing your minions on curve it doesn't feel good (which is the whole point of having ramp, I guess).

I know I haven't learned how to mulligan yet. Do you keep Innervate? Do you keep Breath if you have no dragon in hand? Do you keep Breath + Dragon if you have both? If you have Breath but don't find a dragon within the first few turns do you just play it for draw?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Kalko posted:

I know I haven't learned how to mulligan yet. Do you keep Innervate?

Almost never, unless you're a GrandMaster and you know what you're doing. I still can't figure out why that one guy did it.

Kalko posted:

Do you keep Breath if you have no dragon in hand?

Yes.

Kalko posted:

Do you keep Breath + Dragon if you have both?

1000% Yes.

Kalko posted:

If you have Breath but don't find a dragon within the first few turns do you just play it for draw?

If you can play Fungal Fortunes instead, no.

But it's matchup dependent:
vs Aggro (DH, Hunter): yes
vs slower decks: sometimes yes sometimes no, but plan out your next few turns.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

If you have a deck and no clue how to mull with it a decent resource is to look the deck up on hsreplays top decks by class and sort deck by mulligan win percentage, note the cards that have the highest win rates and mull any cards other than those.

From the list on there you should be keeping all dragons, breath of dreams, overgrowth and fungal fortunes and mulling everything else.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 13, 2020

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
12-2 this month wiiiiiiiiiith........... highlander paladin. Winrate probably inflated by nobody expecting anyone to play this kind of deck, but I think it's still semi-ok. Try it if you enjoy highlander decks and/or you liked even paladin

### highlander
# Class: Paladin
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#t
# 1x (1) Aldor Attendant
# 1x (1) Hot Air Balloon
# 1x (1) Sand Breath
# 1x (2) Acidic Swamp Ooze
# 1x (2) Air Raid
# 1x (2) Hand of A'dal
# 1x (2) Libram of Wisdom
# 1x (2) Lightforged Blessing
# 1x (2) Murgur Murgurgle
# 1x (2) Shotbot
# 1x (2) Sir Finley of the Sands
# 1x (2) Wild Pyromancer
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 1x (3) Bronze Explorer
# 1x (3) Dragonrider Talritha
# 1x (3) Sky Claw
# 1x (3) Underlight Angling Rod
# 1x (4) Blessing of Kings
# 1x (4) Consecration
# 1x (4) Equality
# 1x (4) Truesilver Champion
# 1x (5) Aldor Truthseeker
# 1x (5) Amber Watcher
# 1x (5) Big Ol' Whelp
# 1x (5) Libram of Justice
# 1x (6) Khartut Defender
# 1x (7) Lady Liadrin
# 1x (7) Siamat
# 1x (9) Dragonqueen Alexstrasza
# 1x (9) Libram of Hope
#
AAECAcOfAx7cA/QFzwaKB68H9geKmgODoQOhoQP8owOEpwOHrgOIrgOQrgOdrgOgrgPnsAPqsAORsQONtgOWtgPKuAP7uAP8uAP9uAPquQPruQPsuQOEwQPKwQMAAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Ahh finally a new highlander deck I can try! After a confusing and brutal time with highlander demon hunter I thought I had to go back to highlander hunter or mage to fuel my weird fetish for decks that cost at least 15k dust. Thank you, gonna report back how it works for me.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Come to Wild if you want decks that have dust costs higher than some nations’ GDP. :shepface:

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

The day I play wild will be the last day of my career :colbert:

I once made the decision to dust my non-standard cards in exchange for 40k dust, what would Bob think of me if I come around now?!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Wild is where all the fun is at

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

L0cke17 posted:

Wild is where all the fun is at

Not at those dust counts!!!! :)

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I love the meme decks you can play in wild but I hate that 80% of the meta is mindless aggro while another 15% is the most boring cookie-cutter control decks.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 13, 2020

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Edit: quote is not edit.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Blasmeister posted:

If you have a deck and no clue how to mull with it a decent resource is to look the deck up on hsreplays top decks by class and sort deck by mulligan win percentage, note the cards that have the highest win rates and mull any cards other than those.

From the list on there you should be keeping all dragons, breath of dreams, overgrowth and fungal fortunes and mulling everything else.

Note that the good mull data is locked behind the Premium paywall, so you'll see inexcusable things like Bronze to Gold players keeping Fungal Fortunes only 90% of the time, while Legend players keep it 98%.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yeah the change in ladder w/ hsreplay free vs premium makes it way less useful. Even if you're not a diamond or legend player.

I was hoping they'd update it to at least filter within diamond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I'm at Diamond 6, 2 stars as Demon Hunter and facing what seems like a never-ending parade of various Warriors. I"m not necessarily having a tough time with the matchup, it just gets boring after awhile fighting the same thing over and over again.

Any tips on handling the Risky Skipper Warriors easier? Should I be mulliganing for Skull of Gul'dan? My list is pretty standard except with two Vulpera scroundrels and 1 second sight, and no Crimson Sigil Runners.