Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Man that is super disappointing to hear about Beyond Blue. There's no way to just explore or to turn that junk off? I was hoping for a game to play with my kids where we just go looking for whales. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't understand who wants that.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

40$ base for BF4 lol get hosed ea you slime

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

oh wait i forgot about this stupidity. i already own mass effect 3 on origin, i was going to pay $15 for the convenience on having it on a launcher i actually have installed with the idea that there'd be a more active multiplayer community due to it just showing up today. if the thing is actually just installing origin and then using their servers it defeats both of those points

although thinking about this more what the hell happens if i purchase mass effect 3 on steam when i already own it on origin? i have to assume it's essentially gifting EA 15 bucks (in a more literal sense than buying the game twice)

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Kibayasu posted:

If you want to be generous to Beyond Blue you can assume if the main character isn’t just a silent avatar you can hope that it will also have some margin of character development and will not remain insufferable.

I mean I doubt that will happen, but I'm still intrigued about how the story unfolds. It's not really a bad game so far, but the focus of making the protagonist/expedition an influencer life is a bit of a downer. Shes not really a "Karen" but more of a naive american white tween which really doesn't fit the theme and her responsibility the slightest.

Story setup so far is good though.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cowcaster posted:

although thinking about this more what the hell happens if i purchase mass effect 3 on steam when i already own it on origin? i have to assume it's essentially gifting EA 15 bucks (in a more literal sense than buying the game twice)

Let me test this for you just quick, pretty certain you will own it twice in origin then.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

GreatGreen posted:

So youtube videos of Beyond Blue are coming out and it looks like they took a chillout ocean life exploration game and decided the main character shouldn't be simply an avatar by which you can explore a neat world, but instead should be a be a sarcastic livestreamer all about ME ME ME and likes.

I'm watching a let's play now and the main character's biggest accomplishments so far are "berating the sidekick radio tech guy for not giving her the exact answers she wants" and "taunting her audience about betting they wish they could do what she's doing right now but they can't haha."

Another weird thing is that she seems to have absolutely zero sense of awe or wonder about where she is or what she's doing. The opening is a tiny bit expressive with stuff like "my grandma and I used to dive and I was entranced" but in the actual game it's different. One of the first things you see is the gigantic whale floating by and the un-hesitant first thing out of the character's mouth is something impatient like "how long does it take for the scanner to work" followed by the tech saying "well it depends on several factors" to which she replies "Oh, so you don't know. Got it."

gently caress off.

Beyond Blue: Karen Goes Deep

what a bizarre choice

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Looking forward to the Logan Paul DLC for Beyond Blue.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

*sees a whale*

OMG what is that. WHAT IS THAT. OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG NO. NO. YOU GUYS I AM FREAKING SO OUT RIGHT NOW. NO. OMG.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cowcaster posted:

lol apparently Origin just gets confused by adding titles via Steam you already own on Origin, at least for the first time.

owned via Origin and Steam, launched through Steam after installation. Quitting and launching Origin again still says "Steam" (not shown double as I expected) but I can launch it via Origin directly then.

/okay getting an Origin owned game through Steam OVERRIDES the Origin purchase. So you cannot install it soley via Origin anymore. It will be assimilated.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 11, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's so stupid. If they were just native steam versions I would have happily bought them over again just to not have to deal with multiple launchers and have all of my Mass Effects in one place. But if they're just going to stealth launch the origin client and run it through there anyway gently caress no I'm not buying them again.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
EA sucks poo poo

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think its literally insane to buy something twice, especially knowing that most of you aren't even going to play it. Well, that's my hot take on it, seeya

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you think that's weird people who own consoles and pcs buy two copies of games all the time

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

oh wait i forgot about this stupidity. i already own mass effect 3 on origin, i was going to pay $15 for the convenience on having it on a launcher i actually have installed with the idea that there'd be a more active multiplayer community due to it just showing up today. if the thing is actually just installing origin and then using their servers it defeats both of those points

For what it's worth, ME3 MP has never stopped being played. I've gone back to it like a dozen times since it's come out and never once had problems matchmaking.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cowcaster posted:

you think that's weird people who own consoles and pcs buy two copies of games all the time

Madness!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think its literally insane to buy something twice, especially knowing that most of you aren't even going to play it. Well, that's my hot take on it, seeya

*cries in Skyrim*

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

"Collecting" is a helluva drug.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
"Man I sure loved Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2! I can't wait to see how the trilogy ends with Mass Effect 3! *click*...*click*... Wait a second.... Origin? Well then fuckin nevermind then"

I'm kidding.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cowcaster posted:

*sheepishly raises hand*

If I may be allowed to defend myself, usually it's in the case where the console version comes out first and I don't want to wait to play it, and a nicer looking PC version comes out later, like GTAV or RDR2. Although in the case of Dark Souls I have ended up going back to console because there's less dumb hacking/cheating bullshit to deal with playing online via console vs PC.

GreatGreen posted:

"Collecting" is a helluva drug.

Although I would be lying if I tried to say I wasn't susceptible to these particular brain worms.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I buy games I really love multiple times. Sometimes to have them playable elsewhere, like on the go, and sometimes just because I love them and want to support the creators. I own KoDP about 5 times.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

OzFactor posted:

Man that is super disappointing to hear about Beyond Blue. There's no way to just explore or to turn that junk off? I was hoping for a game to play with my kids where we just go looking for whales. :(

To bankshot off both this and the earlier Journey discussion, while it's not quite an open world game Abzu is pretty amazing and does have a lot of swimming around to find or just look at pretty things. Some of the sections are breathtaking and it's definitely worth playing. And I'd say it's a very watchable game too if you guys are taking turns.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Just got an email that the first gameplay trailer of Evil Genius 2 will air during the PC Gaming show on the 13th so that's something to keep an eye out for.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

DrNutt posted:

*sheepishly raises hand*

If I may be allowed to defend myself, usually it's in the case where the console version comes out first and I don't want to wait to play it, and a nicer looking PC version comes out later, like GTAV or RDR2. Although in the case of Dark Souls I have ended up going back to console because there's less dumb hacking/cheating bullshit to deal with playing online via console vs PC.

Although I would be lying if I tried to say I wasn't susceptible to these particular brain worms.

I mean, I'm not saying I don't suffer from it as well. Collecting is fuckin great. Typing in the name of a good series in a DD client and seeing all the titles lined up there in your library is good stuff man.

I'm also right there with you on your reasoning to double dip, too.

ShootaBoy posted:

I buy games I really love multiple times. Sometimes to have them playable elsewhere, like on the go, and sometimes just because I love them and want to support the creators. I own KoDP about 5 times.

I don't like thinking about how many times I've bought stuff like Morrowind (physical original, physical GOTY, Steam, GoG, etc) or the many different Infinity Engine iterations of their games and enhanced editions.

Yes I know I'm a terrible person for falling into this specific temptation of capitalism.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 11, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I bought Titanfall2 again when I got a Ps4 but its also essentially at bargain bin price almost every sale plus the online community for shooters in consoles is much larger than PCs.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Samuringa posted:

I bought Titanfall2 again when I got a Ps4 but its also essentially at bargain bin price almost every sale plus the online community for shooters in consoles is much larger than PCs.

One of the cool things about PS+ is that they've supported my double dipping habit by offering me tons of "free" games that I already had on PC.

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015

haldolium posted:

lol apparently Origin just gets confused by adding titles via Steam you already own on Origin, at least for the first time.

owned via Origin and Steam, launched through Steam after installation. Quitting and launching Origin again still says "Steam" (not shown double as I expected) but I can launch it via Origin directly then.

/okay getting an Origin owned game through Steam OVERRIDES the Origin purchase. So you cannot install it soley via Origin anymore. It will be assimilated.

What about the in-game progress and whatnot? Does that transfer over to the Steam purchase if you've already had it on Origin?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Hwurmp posted:

*sees a whale*

OMG what is that. WHAT IS THAT. OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG NO. NO. YOU GUYS I AM FREAKING SO OUT RIGHT NOW. NO. OMG.

*sees sunfish*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n2cIeIpzLA

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mah!!!!! There’s a weird loving whale outside!!!! It looks like grandma the loving thing!!!!!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cartoon Man posted:

Mah!!!!! There’s a weird loving whale outside!!!! It looks like grandma the loving thing!!!!!

Scout's adventures in weird fuckin animals

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

GeorgieMordor posted:

What about the in-game progress and whatnot? Does that transfer over to the Steam purchase if you've already had it on Origin?

progress is still there for the tested game. Origin stats (achievements, apparently points?) are saved as well within Origin.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fuligin posted:

40$ base for BF4 lol get hosed ea you slime

Activision still wants 40 for Black Ops. As in, no number after the title. AKA the first one. Released in 2010.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Hitman 3 on the Sony notE3 conference.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hitman 3 coming in January!

Just announced in the PS4 stream. No word if it's episodic or not.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Looking forward to the Hitman games taking up like 400 gb. Is it going to be "backwards compatible" like H2?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

GrandpaPants posted:

Looking forward to the Hitman games taking up like 400 gb. Is it going to be "backwards compatible" like H2?

They should just come with their own hard drive.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I’ve seen battlefield 3 and 4 on sale for less than twenty several times this year, on origin and amazon. No surprise they’d come onto steam charging $40 to start, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FastestGunAlive posted:

I’ve seen battlefield 3 and 4 on sale for less than twenty several times this year, on origin and amazon. No surprise they’d come onto steam charging $40 to start, though.

They're half off now, anyway.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Resident Evil VIII booooys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Morter posted:

You jerks are making me miss NIOH. I got into NG+ but I hit a point where I was in the mid 200s and the only missions around that area were those stupid double-boss fights, after the normal missions in the current region. The next region over has their missions be 100+ levels ahead of me. Am I missing something? Am I meant to grind? I have a set I like I'm just not sure how the progression works.

Quoting myself because I sliced 74 gigs outta my HD to throw this back in :negative:

And it's just like I remember. Here's where I stand: I'm currently level 230 in NG+, and I'm in the Omi region. Main missions there go up to level 310. The next region starts at 345 or thereabouts, well over 100 more than I'm at.

So at this point, I guess, I'm trying to figure out the pace of my advance. Should I just grind for EXP souls amrita? Or does level stop mattering after a certain point? I have a build that I like (even if it's not optimal, I don't care, I have fun with it and I always suck at bosses, which is precisely why I'm avoiding the lovely duel-boss missions until I can curbstomp them), so I just wanna keep enjoying the gameplay, but should the deficit in numbers matter much?