Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

iirc the trouble with those QTEs was that there was never a reason to not take every single one of them. It never had any negative consequences or put you at any sort of disadvantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

iirc the trouble with those QTEs was that there was never a reason to not take every single one of them. It never had any negative consequences or put you at any sort of disadvantage.

The big disadvantage was if you did Renegade interrupts if you were playing mostly Paragon or vice versa: there was a hidden stat that the more you stayed consistent, the faster you built up Charm/Intimidate and if you didn’t do that you could miss a lot of Charm/Intimidate checks later on.

It’s utter loving bullshit how they give you role playing options and screw you over like that. I’m extremely glad RPGs have started to move away from Karma Meter bullcrap.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Honestly I think Mass Effect 3 did it best by reducing Paragon/Renegade to just a meter and any reputation locked options just unlocked based on the cumulative value of the meter. If a Paragon conversation choice needs 50 reputation then you can use it so long as you've accrued 50 points, even if it's all Renegade.

I just really don't care for morality meters.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I enjoyed Alpha Protocol's morality system, if only for the long reaching consequences it could carry. Being a jerk might be the only way to impress one of the villains into joining you, even if it alienated all of your other friends. Also there was at least one character who just wanted you to *pick a side*, the only way to make them mad was to fence sit

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

The big disadvantage was if you did Renegade interrupts if you were playing mostly Paragon or vice versa: there was a hidden stat that the more you stayed consistent, the faster you built up Charm/Intimidate and if you didn’t do that you could miss a lot of Charm/Intimidate checks later on.

Not quite true.

What Mass Effect 2 did was it had hidden meters for your percentage of renegade and paragon points out of the total for all the areas you'd visited. Although most opportunities for points were mutually exclusive (you couldn't both kill a guy mugging you and pay for his ticket offworld to start over), the scores weren't. Picking up renegade points didn't cost you paragon points, and times when there was only opportunity for one or the other (like most interrupts) could boost you in intimidate without hurting your persuade.

Further, there were skills and equipment items that boosted your conversation skills. With them, it's possible to get both options for a lot of the game's toughest conversation checks, leaving you free to play your character as you like rather than playing to a corner of the morality wheel.

There's a reason most people have trouble and assume that they have to go one way or the other, though, and it's a consequence of how the system scales. See, when you go to a mission, the total possible points you could have earned is added to the total potential points, which your score is compared to as a percentage. But the same applies to hubs. Whenever you go to a new planet or the Citadel, all the sidequests are added to the potential maximum scores, so the game shoves you well behind the curve.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That bit with the hubs sounds like a bit of facedesk unintentional but really stupid result.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DeathChicken posted:

I enjoyed Alpha Protocol's morality system, if only for the long reaching consequences it could carry. Being a jerk might be the only way to impress one of the villains into joining you, even if it alienated all of your other friends. Also there was at least one character who just wanted you to *pick a side*, the only way to make them mad was to fence sit

My favorite detail was the enemy who is the consummate cold professional, and when you fight him will run away when he loses so you can't kill him even though you want to real bad... Unless you've taken the "smartass" conversation options consistently enough through the whole game that you piss him off so badly he loses his cool and stays fighting you until you kill him.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Lemniscate Blue posted:

My favorite detail was the enemy who is the consummate cold professional, and when you fight him will run away when he loses so you can't kill him even though you want to real bad... Unless you've taken the "smartass" conversation options consistently enough through the whole game that you piss him off so badly he loses his cool and stays fighting you until you kill him.

oh, man, yes. That was an astonishing moment for me when I got that to happen. AP has so many good moments buried in the worst minigames. :v:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Unless unless you're a total profesional otherwise and only act like a smartass to piss him off so you can kill him, in which case he realizes that's exactly why you're doing it and genuinely complements your skill at manipulating your enemies while still running off.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's honestly terrifying how many branching options Alpha Protocol has.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
The only game I’ve ever played that actually manages to live up to a “all of your actions will have consequences” tag line.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, like. Disco Elysium is great, but main thing your choices change is how you feel about stuff. Need to replay AP sometime.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Lemniscate Blue posted:

With the added bonus that if you only take the smart rear end options with him he congratulates you for spotting his buttons and trying to manipulate him.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Stroth posted:

Unless unless you're a total profesional otherwise and only act like a smartass to piss him off so you can kill him, in which case he realizes that's exactly why you're doing it and genuinely complements your skill at manipulating your enemies while still running off.

Ferrosol posted:

With the added bonus that if you only take the smart rear end options with him he congratulates you for spotting his buttons and trying to manipulate him.

Like a complete rear end in a top hat.

I restarted the game to be able to kill him.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I understand that AP was a mess when it came out, have there been patches (official or unofficial) to improve things?

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Veotax posted:

Honestly I think Mass Effect 3 did it best by reducing Paragon/Renegade to just a meter and any reputation locked options just unlocked based on the cumulative value of the meter. If a Paragon conversation choice needs 50 reputation then you can use it so long as you've accrued 50 points, even if it's all Renegade.

I just really don't care for morality meters.

I don't think the system was good, because in order to hit the high level Paragon/Renegade options, you had to have focused on one to get all those points. So the game basically encouraged you to pick one or the other and then always take that option, which means you have to hope that if you picked Paragon all the choices would mesh with whatever your notion of Paragon was. It avoids the pointless puppy-kicking of a lot of good/evil morality systems, but it still effectively restricts player choice for no reason.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

thekeeshman posted:

I don't think the system was good, because in order to hit the high level Paragon/Renegade options, you had to have focused on one to get all those points. So the game basically encouraged you to pick one or the other and then always take that option,

That's how ME1 worked, but not 3.

3's system effectively removed P/R checks entirely and just put a meter in your stat screen so you could pretend they were still there. Like yeah you still accumulated points and the meter went up but it felt like window dressing.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 12, 2020

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Psion posted:

That's how ME1 worked, but not 3.

No, ME1 had you invest in paragon/renegade with your level up points. ME2 was the one that punished you for not focusing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Utgardaloki posted:

No, ME1 had you invest in paragon/renegade with your level up points. ME2 was the one that punished you for not focusing.

As I said, if you do things right (importing a save from 1 also helps), you can be pretty flexible. The game's system just has enough... "quirks" (I hadn't even mentioned how New Game+ is more New Game-, resetting your renegade and paragon scores) that it's easy to assume the only way forward is going hardline.

It's quite possible to have both options available for almost all of the hardest checks in the game (the only time I was stuck with only one option was the finale of the Samara loyalty mission), and the variable scores for checks mean that even half-assing can get you most options under normal circumstances.

It's just, as mentioned, the system has accidental complications in addition to the intentional ones, and the human tendency to simplify made "If you don't focus on one side or the other, you might miss a few checks unless you play carefully" into "Pick one side or the other or you're screwed". Which, in turn, lead to ME3's reputation system.

ME1 actually was worse about it. You did invest points, but you could only invest so many points based on your percentage of paragon v renegade, and unless you went really consistent, (or used console commands) you'd miss out on both bonus missions.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 12, 2020

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

habeasdorkus posted:

I understand that AP was a mess when it came out, have there been patches (official or unofficial) to improve things?

Officially no, it's still a big mess but absolutely worth playing

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

chiasaur11 posted:

and unless you went really consistent, (or used console commands) you'd miss out on both bonus missions.

well, Lorik Qui'in existed. Such a helpful guy.

I have literally never failed a ME2 p/r check and I picked every interrupt I wanted at all times so the idea that it somehow punished you is extremely new to me.

Utgardaloki posted:

To be precise, you unlocked the ability to invest in charm/intimidate by gaining P/R points through dialogue/actions, and checks were against your C/I levels. ME2 kept the checks but made it directly off P/R levels, ME3 rolled it all into Reputation.

Both 1 and 2 (apparently!) punished you for not focusing (just in different ways) which is probably why they rolled everything into rep for 3.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 12, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Psion posted:

I have literally never failed a ME2 p/r check and I picked every interrupt I wanted at all times so the idea that it somehow punished you is extremely new to me.

:same: ME1 was the only game that was any trouble.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Back on Shadowrun related stuff, looks like Seattle PD has been loving things up badly for the better part of decades now, but more so these last couple of years and especially these last couple of weeks. I don’t know if Lone Star would be worse, but I guess a corporate police force would still be more open to abuse, knowing our lovely cyberpunk world without the cool poo poo we have going on. SPD getting fired en masses for striking for better pay when?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

GhostStalker posted:

Back on Shadowrun related stuff, looks like Seattle PD has been loving things up badly for the better part of decades now, but more so these last couple of years and especially these last couple of weeks. I don’t know if Lone Star would be worse, but I guess a corporate police force would still be more open to abuse, knowing our lovely cyberpunk world without the cool poo poo we have going on. SPD getting fired en masses for striking for better pay when?

Take all the problems with modern PD departments and then add extraterritoriality + corporate ownership to it and yeah. Not gonna get better.

As for ME2, the only check I ever failed was the one in Samara's mission. I needed her to rescue me from Morinth on my first playthrough. On my second, she tried to put the whammy on my renegade and suffered the consequences.

(never went for letting free the literal vampire who was not in any way an ethical vampire)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

GhostStalker posted:

Police unions are loving absurd in terms of benefits they provide. Did you know that cops accrue vacation time indefinitely with no limit? I've heard stories of cops taking all their vacation at once at the end of their career, having a full goddamn year of just getting full time pay and benefits for no work just before they retire.

So I don't really see them going on strike anytime soon, but the police have shocked me before.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Alacron posted:

Police unions are loving absurd in terms of benefits they provide. Did you know that cops accrue vacation time indefinitely with no limit? I've heard stories of cops taking all their vacation at once at the end of their career, having a full goddamn year of just getting full time pay and benefits for no work just before they retire.

So I don't really see them going on strike anytime soon, but the police have shocked me before.

Most southern states don't have police unions, and they're generally worse than their unionized colleagues in terms of use of force. The problem is police.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Alacron posted:

Yeah, the SPD striking en masse was a Shadowrun lore reference, that was the event that precipitated Lone Star getting it’s first major contract (outside of Austin, where it’s based and constantly on the watch for Azzies coming across the new border, when Texas decided to go their own way after the US broke up when the CAS seceded during the formation of the UCAS, and Aztlan promptly pushed their poo poo in that they rejoined the CAS for protection). Long story short, SPD struck for better pay, the Metroplex governor fired them all in response, and hired Lone Star instead (which promptly hired back a bunch of former SPD, just without the seniority or pay they once had).

Also, I was about to be hired to work payroll at NYPD HQ right before the pandemic and the George Floyd stuff. Dunno if my job will still be there after all this (I got the job offer before Thanksgiving last year, finished my background check around the middle of February, and apparently my investigating detective said that Hiring was waiting for a budget allotment before my hiring, before all this happened). With the talk of the City Council reducing NYPD budget by $1 billion (out of $5.5 to 6 billion total? Holy poo poo, what is the NYPD budget!), I dunno if my job will still be there after this, but that’s still not an excuse for me to excuse the excesses of the NYPD (and their racist rear end police union heads, like holy poo poo, Pat Lynch and Ed Mullins of the Patrolmen’s and Sergeant’s Benevolent Associations respectively, are race baiting pieces of poo poo).

I took the NYPD cop test days after my Jeopardy episode aired in 2014, and made it past initial screening, but failed the physical 2 years later prior to being accepted to the Police Academy. Dodged a helluva bullet, looking at it now.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jun 13, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

honestly i think the focus on police unions is mostly a function of american generalised hatred of unions which is handily mobilised in cases like this. break police unions and you break a lot of the police grunts' political power, and then you can tactically ally with management to start sacking people etc

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

Most southern states don't have police unions, and they're generally worse than their unionized colleagues in terms of use of force. The problem is police.

I agree, to be clear. And when I call it absurd I only mean in terms of how dumb it is that only cops get those kinds of benefits and not everyone else really.

We need more unions with those levels of benefits, not less.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Police unions will also defend you if you murder or rape someone on the job, when most union bylaws say "there are some things we won't help you with", for good reason

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

StillFullyTerrible posted:

Police unions will also defend you if you murder or rape someone on the job, when most union bylaws say "there are some things we won't help you with", for good reason

Yeah, teachers unions generally will not back up a teacher if there's an accusation that they're sexually abusing a kid.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

StillFullyTerrible posted:

The NYPD PBA isn’t even consistent about it. They went all in on protecting Daniel Pantaleo, the cop who choked Eric Garner to death, and have been vociferously defending any other cop accused of wrongdoing in killing black men, be they white, black or Hispanic.

On the other hand, they hung Peter Liang, the rookie who killed Akai Gurley with a negligent discharge in a stairwell, out to dry and only mounted a token defense; and there was no outcry when he got convicted of Manslaughter and fired (he got probation as well). Pissed the Chinese community off here something fierce.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Alacron posted:

I wish more unions worked this way, except the police one

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

The NYPD PBA isn’t even consistent about it. They went all in on protecting Daniel Pantaleo, the cop who choked Eric Garner to death, and have been vociferously defending any other cop accused of wrongdoing in killing black men, be they white, black or Hispanic.

On the other hand, they hung Peter Liang, the rookie who killed Akai Gurley with a negligent discharge in a stairwell, out to dry and only mounted a token defense; and there was no outcry when he got convicted of Manslaughter and fired (he got probation as well). Pissed the Chinese community off here something fierce.

I can't imagine white the difference could be.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I wish more unions worked this way, except the police one

There's a reason why when Reagan's republicans started union-busting they left the police unions pretty much alone.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

kaosdrachen posted:

I can't imagine white the difference could be.

Yeah, no poo poo. NYPD is majority minority now, and they keep returning these racist assholes to leadership. Not enough Asian cops for standing up for them to matter, I guess (except when you can use their deaths to clout the mayor like after those two cops were shot in their squad car during their meal break after Garner and Ferguson). Gotta play to the black and Hispanic cops, though.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GhostStalker posted:

This is probably the most darkly funny part of the whole thing, a bunch of people being like OH SO WHEN ONE OF US DOES A MURDER WE DON'T GET A MEDAL FOR IT

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Part 64 - Intravenous Solutions

Well we've made it inside, so that's the easiest part over with. From here we're going to have to step pretty lightly if we want things to remain quiet, Aztechnology security inside one of their own compounds are maybe a little harder to fool with fabricated tales as some janitor of a software company.

I have marked an elevator on your PDA. I'd start making my way there if I were you... it's the most efficient path to reach your objective. Best of luck.

The elevator in question isn't especially far, but there's an awful many locked doors hampering our progress. And as long as we're groping around in the dark, there's always the risk we'll accidentally grab a fistful of angry security guard as well. Bothersome state of affairs all around.

The southeast door leads towards the building's front which is the most likely area to house at least some level of security presence, so first we're going to try our luck with this locked one in the opposite direction which comes with its very own built-in security flaw. It's your show again, Blitz.

The Matrix alarm level here starts fairly high, though a regular dosage of Suppression will help extend it.

Having to deal with some intrusion countermeasures was pretty much a given, not that one Sparky and two melee ICs are exactly going to make anyone soil their cybertrousers by themselves. Some very juicy-sounding nodes too, the door clearly wasn't the only thing this point is connected to.

The good news is that there are no IP-boosting cybersteroids in play here and Blitz blows the whole lot into digital dust in just two turns by his lonesome. And no surprise reinforcements either, all in all a downright pleasant lil' dip into the digital realm.

He works his way through each node including a door node which was obscured from view earlier, then cyberjogs back.

Turns out not only did the node open that particular door, it opened every secure door on this floor and we now also have full security camera visibility on top. Whoever was in charge of this building's cybersecurity dropped the ball hard enough to make a hole in the floor and knock out the downstairs neighbor, but it's an opening we're happy to make use of.

We can see a couple of patrolling guards to the north and east. If anybody in our crew end up in the line of sight of these guys it's instant alarm, no question asked or pleasantries exchanged. Surprise stealth mechanics!

Other points of interest include the executive Luca wanted us to deliver a message to, and what appears to be a locker room which just might hold some much-needed disguise potential for us. Even if we could slip past the guards here, there's bound to be more below and even our famously good looks and witty personality will only get us so far in a place like this.

But first we start from the door next to the jack-in point Blitz used, leading to an empty office with a computer terminal.

No option to guess this one, it's decking or nothing. Of course since bringing a decker is mandatory for this run and one was required to enter this room to begin with, it's an obstacle in name only.

Corporate life man, can't even spit in your boss's face as a final act of defiance without them making money off of it. Perhaps we will "donate" this list back to them for a minor transfer fee once we get home, seeing as we're all in such a generous mood.

Next on our snooping list is the previously locked room close to where we entered, which likewise houses a single terminal we can interact with.

Message posted:

>>From: Maier, Fatima J
>>To: Lange, Katja

Katja,

I've got some pretty grave concerns about this new project. I don't know what they're doing downstairs... not exactly, anyway. But I'm pretty thoroughly creeped out by some of the inventory requests that have been coming up to my desk recently.

When we decided to sign on with Aztechnology, we talked this over. We knew the company's reputation, and I said that I could handle whatever came my way. But this... I don't know, Katja. This last order crossed a line. What would the research team need with a bulk order of gags, restraints, and five hundred liters of hydrochloric acid?

Uh oh. I've gotta run... just got a message over the comm. Looks like Central wants to see me about something. I'll catch you back at your apartment, later tonight. Let's talk about this over a bottle of wine... I know that I could use it.

-F

Somethin' tells me that she never got to enjoy that glass of wine.

"Is there a barrel of acid involved" is a pretty decent starting point when considering whether the question you want to ask is really worth the risk of finding out the answer.

Now the only remaining paths open to us are through the patrolled areas. Avoiding the northern guard watching the elevator room would be tricky as he's patrolling in a small circle, so our best bet is to make a break for that locker room behind Door 1 while the southern guard is away in the lobby.

Like so. There's a jack-in point attached to this door as well, but it has the same function as the previous one so we don't need to fiddle with it.

Here we go, good thing so many people are happy to defy the core essence of lockers by not actually locking them. There better be something we can use as disguises here because we're not going to be going much further without a stealth device, and everyone knows they never hand those out until NG+.

Ugh, of all the possible options... Sure we don't have any less objectionable choices available, maybe some overflowing garbage bins we could hitch a ride in or something?

It's like having your entire body wrapped in used diapers. We need to finish things here quickly, pretty sure you wear one of these long enough and one day it'll just never come off again.

Good evening fellow criminal stopper, it's a fine night for preventing crimes and not doing crimes like an evil crime person.

(Security) Yeah, Central wants a complete perimeter assessment. They sent me to see to it.

Pretty sure at this point we've made use of the Security etiquette more often than all the etiquettes combined in Dead Man's Switch. Charisma 5 would also be an option, lacking either would lead to a fight.

That's... odd.

[A scowl crosses his face.]

They should know that *I'm* on that duty. It isn't like them to double up on patrols.

[Shrug.] Hey, man, it's not my call. I just do what they tell me to.

I know what you mean. Well, enjoy the rest of your patrol. Don't get your hopes up, though... it's dead in here tonight.

Don't I know it.

Couldn't get more dead even if the whole building came down and literally killed everyone inside right haha okay bye now

We take a peek at the lobby area he was patrolling but find nothing of interest, so we return and enter the elevator room watched by the other guard we saw through the cameras.

It's another fine night of ensuring no illegal activity takes place, another fine night indeed. There's "ill" in "illegal" and we are the cure heh heh, a bit of law enforcement humor there between us authentic guardspeople.

(Security) I just got the assignment myself. Central wants a complete perimeter assessment.

Strange. Did they give you any explanation for this request?

Do they ever?

[He chuckles.] No. Of course they don't. Well, best of luck. Let me know if anything's out of order... it is my sector, after all.

You got it, pal. And be careful... an intruder could be *anywhere.*

[He nods.] Yeah, tell me about it.

Oh man bet you'd really appreciate the humor in this exchange if you ever got the chance to look back at it without the punchline involving your mangled corpse being buried under a mountain of debris. Ah well, what is life is not a series of missed opportunities.

Now then, there's that elevator we'll be taking down to the sub-basement shortly but first we have some business with the owner of the room here.

Heck of a hair-mustache combo for a corporate executive, we could even respect that were you not the antithesis of everything we stand for.

[He looks surprised to see you, but not alarmed.]

Oh, hey... I don't usually see Knight Errant personnel wandering around this part of the building. What's up?

We have mutual friends. They have a message for you.

Friends? What friends? What are you talking about?

[Whisper into his ear.] "We are pleased that Project Vincent is going so well."

Our friends wanted me to deliver this message to you in person. Here, in your office. I'm sure that you understand.

Y-yes. Yes, of course.

[The expression on his face is one of pure horror.]

P-please... please tell our "friends" that I hear them, loud and clear. And tell them that I'm making the call.

Call? What call?

[He shakes his head.] You poor fool. You don't even realize what a pawn you are.

Yeah well, better to be a pawn on the winning side than the king about to be caught in an explosive checkmate. Good evening to you.

That's all our business finished on this floor. Time to head on down and see if we can't add some extra kick to whatever dark stew the Azzies are cooking in the basement.

Not much in the way of especially interesting alternate dialogue, as was mentioned Charisma can be used as an alternative to the Security etiquette to convince the guards with the same dialogue choice for both of them:

quote:

(Charisma 5) Yeah, I was just transferred from HQ. They have me walking the perimeter to familiarize myself with the building.

Southern guard:

[He waves you off.] Best get to it, then.

Elevator guard:

[He smirks.] Well, enjoy the walk. And get used to it... they'll have you walking perimeter for the next few months at least.

Not having either Security or Charisma 5 leads to a fight and an alarm with the same dialogue for both, the best one can do in that case is to have enough Quickness to get the first turn in the ensuing combat:

quote:

I was sent to check on you. So, uh... how are you doing?

[The guard's eyes narrow. He half-raises his weapon.]

Let me see your ID. Reach for it slowly.

Uhhh... I, um... I don't have it yet.

[He shoulders his weapon.]

(Quickness 5) [Shoot first.]

Triggering an alarm by any method (including having busted in through the front door) pretty much turns the rest of the mission into one long grueling firefight and also leads to a 20-turn countdown until the arrival of the Knight-Errant, leading to a large number of extra reinforcements on top. It's not completely unmanageable but it does almost certainly make for the longest and toughest combat section in the game.

Now if the power was turned off by overloading the grid earlier, a couple of things are a little different even beyond the erotic mood lighting and minor dialogue changes. Firstly the Charisma checks for convincing the guards while in disguise are softened down some. For example:

quote:

I didn't expect to bump into any of you Knight Errant guys out here... but then, with the power overload, who knows what's happening. They tell you guys anything about what's going on?

(Charisma 4) Afraid I can't help you. They didn't tell me much... just that they were doubling patrols, and that they wanted me out here.

Yeah, I guess that figures. Can't be too careful.

You said it.

Also if an alarm is triggered with the power grid overloaded, the 20-turn countdown until the KE reinforcements gets delayed until later rather than starting right away. Lastly, while the KE disguises becomes useless if an alarm is triggered with the power on, with the power off they can still be used to avoid one more confrontation with guards later on before the place inevitably turns hostile.

Finally just a couple of miscellanous things someone might be wondering about that didn't fit elsewhere:

- You can deliver Luca's message to the executive even during the alarm and even without the Knight-Errant disguise, there's no noteworthy change in dialogue.
- You can also put on the Knight-Errant disguises even after triggering an alarm, prompting a crew member to wonder if there's a point in doing so (it can still help avoid the above-mentioned guard confrontation later on if the power is off).
- While he has the highest priority, non-Dietrich party members do also have short comments on the spots he spoke up in the update, but they're all fairly generic and interchangeable. This is true in most cases when party members have a brief comment or exchange about something in this game, with lines often being completely identical between people. Dynamic party dialogue was one of the things that was given more love in the next game.

We'll wrap things up with a third chat with the Becks:

quote:

[When you next come across the Becks, they are back to work, this time bagging litter, slowly but surely. They seem grateful for an excuse to rest when you walk up.]

Good to see you again.

We understand that you've decided to keep on. We wondered if you and the others might leave us.

I'm not one to leave things unfinished.

Neither was Monika.

Is there anything we can help you with?

Has there been any more fallout from Monika's death?

[The couple exchanges a look.]

By now, word has spread beyond the Kreuzbasar. There has been talk. Some have even seen strangers sniffing about.

It was widely known that Monika protected this place. Not alone, of course. But she was the architect of the Kreuzbasar's alliances in peace time, and defenses in war time. She was our diplomat and our general.

And now she is gone.

What about Eiger?

Eiger might serve in a time of conflict, but she was not made for peace.

Glory?

Glory needed Monika as much as any of us. Maybe more.

Dietrich?

He strikes me as one who shirks responsibility more often than not.

Then let's not dwell on it any further. I'd like to hear about your time in Berlin.

Oh, what's there to tell? Our lives would be boring when compared to, well, you know.

You were here for the first Euro War, weren't you?

Oh, my, yes.

We had just moved back a few years prior. Karin and I met in the UCAS. Got married there. But I had always promised to bring her home to Berlin someday.

Seemed that no sooner had we settled than the Russians were invading.

That was a difficult year, to be sure. But then it seemed to end as suddenly as it had started.

The assassinations. The Nightwraiths. We never saw any of it, mind you. I'm fairly certain that we slept through the whole thing.

And the next morning it was all over. The fighting, at least. There were still plenty of soldiers left in the city. German, Russian, Polish. But we had our lives back.

What about the Great Jihad?

Those were dark days.

We weren't in any immediate danger here, of course. But the soldiers who had remained to restore order in Berlin were suddenly called away.

We had grown friendly with many of them. It was sad to see them go, especially when so few of them returned.

But the bigger problem was their absence here in the city. It was anarchy, but without the F-State to keep parties in check.

We kept our heads down, worked our jobs, and waited for the day order would be restored.

Still waiting then, are we?

How about the Night of Rage?

We'll never forget it.

For years, the city had been devolving into chaos. Violence on the streets, unbridled corporate abuse, political corruption.

I was working at one of the universities at the time. They had all become hotbeds for activists. Scared lots of folks from the city. Mostly humans.

By '39, metas outnumbered humans in almost every kiez. Groups like Humanis didn't like that. They held rallies, even tried to recruit us.

But the people united against them. Sent those bigots running for the Downlands.

And some say that was the day the Flux was born.

I appreciate your willingness to share. Now, I should be going.

Take care.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 15, 2020

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's really too bad those two were cut. There's a lot of stuff in the Kreuzbasar which is really cool but it does feel not quite finished.

I will also never be able to un-see what you said about the lighting after the power cut. How could you, Kanfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Crane Fist posted:

This is probably the most darkly funny part of the whole thing, a bunch of people being like OH SO WHEN ONE OF US DOES A MURDER WE DON'T GET A MEDAL FOR IT

It was more that it was right after a Grand Jury refused to indict Daniel Pantaleo for chocking Eric Garner to death while another Grand Jury indicts a rookie Chinese cop for a negligent discharge that killed a black man in a pubic housing stairway. Never mind that the former involved a Staten Island jury (and we’re the conservative rear end in a top hat of NYC) and an eventual GOP congressman, and the latter was in Brooklyn instead (whose DA and residents tend to be more liberal).

The people who were pissed saw it as a double standard, and a consequence of the Chinese/Asian community not having the political power of the Black/Hispanic community here in NY. I mean, my mom is a blandly non-political moderate (or at least I’ve never really managed to peg her views politically), and this was one of the only political protests she considered going to at the time. The local Chinese language media also flexed their muscles putting together protests, even though they didn’t direct any blowback towards the city’s Asian elected officials (all Dems, natch), who tended to side with the Brooklyn DA/black community in that he should’ve been indicted (and eventually convicted and fired), but nothing really came of that politically.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 16, 2020