Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Covok posted:

So, did Teamfourstar die after ending DBZ Abridged?

Also, any news on Dragonball Super 2: The Superest; This Time It's Personal: Revengance?

No idea about Team Four Star, I see them posting videos every so often but I'm uninterested in their content.

On the latter, no. The manga's still ongoing but nothing has been said about the anime after they said they were working on a movie a while ago. Considering the COVID-19 situation, I doubt we'll get much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Blaze Dragon posted:

No idea about Team Four Star, I see them posting videos every so often but I'm uninterested in their content.

On the latter, no. The manga's still ongoing but nothing has been said about the anime after they said they were working on a movie a while ago. Considering the COVID-19 situation, I doubt we'll get much.

Doesn't manga require you to sit around all of your co-artists, inkers, background artists, assistants, etc.? A Dragonball manga probably gets a decent team.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

There are storyboards out for the next manga chapter:

https://dragonball.news/news/n200611005.html

translation of the text in the storyboards:
https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1270895829268619264

Not really any huge spoilers

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Non-Spoiler best reply to that tweet (but also Twitter sucks so the summary is right above it (but also there's no spoilers unless you didn't think Moro and Vegeta would fight))

TheHan fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 12, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't believe Vegeta stole Hit's time prison.

But seriously, I have no idea what's going on.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Got a really good feeling about this fight!!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dude spoilers! I figured Vegeta just learned how to play SSJ Go and wanted to challenge Moro. :(

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Covok posted:

So, did Teamfourstar die after ending DBZ Abridged?

Covid-19's done more to kill their production than anything DBZ-related. They're still putting out their podcast regularly, but they haven't been able to work on their live-action series Unabridged or anything for TFS Gaming other than the occasional stream being uploaded.

They also didn't upload anything last week in solidarity with BLM.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shinji2015 posted:

Covid-19's done more to kill their production than anything DBZ-related. They're still putting out their podcast regularly, but they haven't been able to work on their live-action series Unabridged or anything for TFS Gaming other than the occasional stream being uploaded.

They also didn't upload anything last week in solidarity with BLM.

Speaking of, is any of their post/non-DBZA related stuff actually worth watching?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, is any of their post/non-DBZA related stuff actually worth watching?

I've enjoyed it, but it's going to be very hit-or-miss for anyone who was just following TFS for DBZA. I imagine that if you weren't also watching TFS Gaming or any of their other projects already, you wouldn't be interested in their current stuff.

They're in a weird place right now. They're trying to move on from DBZA, and it feels like they're trying to see what sticks now, so there's a bit of awkwardness and experimentation going on. I could easily see them in good shape again a couple of years from now... or we'll be hearing about TFS calling it quits. Neither would shock me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Are their Let’s Plays any good in that case?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Their Pokemon LPs are great!
Their fallout 4 LP is legend.
Their XenoVerse 1 and 2 LPs are hella fun, with the backstory they build for the characters and all, but by the end of it they are absolutely burned out.

But they are complete and absolute murderhobos. If that kinda playstyle bothers you? You're gonna be shouting at the screen a lot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They have the problem of ignoring text onscreen and then complaining for two hours because they missed something the game told them which honestly annoys me so much I can't watch them.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

They have the problem of ignoring text onscreen and then complaining for two hours because they missed something the game told them which honestly annoys me so much I can't watch them.

Ah, DSP syndrome

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

Ah, DSP syndrome

I call it Game Grump Disorder

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Larryb posted:

No

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Yes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Maybe

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Larryb posted:

Nope, if you’ve seen any non abridged content they’ve made over the years, then that’s roughly the quality you can expect.

The Unabridged show in particular is painfully unfunny. Maybe they’ll find something that sticks but I’d say chances of that are low.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Asuron posted:

The Unabridged show in particular is painfully unfunny. Maybe they’ll find something that sticks but I’d say chances of that are low.

I like their gameplay poo poo...when it's Dragonball themed, because usually they still bring out some of their Abridged humor and poo poo into the mix, but most everything else, I'm kinda 'eh' on.

And Unabridged? All I can compare it to, as much as I hate to, is when Doug Walker made Demo Reel after 'canceling' the Nostalgia Critic. It gives off the same sense of trying too hard, though for different reasons.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I sincerely wish TFS all the best, but honestly every single non DBZA thing I've seen them do sucked poo poo

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I can't believe Vegeta stole Hit's time prison.

But seriously, I have no idea what's going on.

gently caress off man, I really didnt wanna read that poo poo :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Parrotine posted:

gently caress off man, I really didnt wanna read that poo poo :argh:

That wasn't a real spoiler.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

lmao he mad

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I guess the real question is how long until they do Season 4 out of desperation?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

I guess the real question is how long until they do Season 4 out of desperation?

Honestly I give it about a year before they start releasing "shorts" using the actual animation instead.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Don't some of them do official voiceover work sometimes? I imagine they'd try and do more of that as TFS is slowly abandoned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheHan posted:

Don't some of them do official voiceover work sometimes? I imagine they'd try and do more of that as TFS is slowly abandoned.

Apparently they have not had a ton of luck with that. Some things I've heard suggest that DBZA really made it hard for them to get legitimate jobs while other things are that they're kind of egotistical and won't take the 'crap' jobs that regular VAs do. In either case that is why they're trying to push their own content and go down the Rooster Teeth route.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The sea has claimed them. They must fight for their lives

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

ImpAtom posted:

Apparently they have not had a ton of luck with that. Some things I've heard suggest that DBZA really made it hard for them to get legitimate jobs while other things are that they're kind of egotistical and won't take the 'crap' jobs that regular VAs do. In either case that is why they're trying to push their own content and go down the Rooster Teeth route.

Ah, well, not too late for a miracle or to pull up from this tailspin.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They were trying to become a dub house. I wonder how that went

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

“Crap jobs”? Like, what’s a crap job for voiceover work, genuine question?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Last Celebration posted:

Bit character number 15, background snob number 22, Expendable Goon With Wings

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

ImpAtom posted:

while other things are that they're kind of egotistical and won't take the 'crap' jobs that regular VAs do

Jesus Christ what a bunch of loving losers lmao. I've heard Eric Stuart do car commercials and Dan Green do hentai and they're a thousand times more famous and talented than them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheHan posted:

Some have. GeneralIvan (Gero, Cooler) has been working for Funimation for years now and is the main character in Overlord, LittleKuriboh (Frieza) has been getting work in California the last few years thanks to YGO Abridged and his wife, and Antfish (Ginyu, Mr. Satan) has been in some indie game roles and is in some kids tv shows like Paw Patrol, he seems to be doing what he can but he doesn't have the tenure in a major studio like the other two do. Kaiser even did work for Funimation on occasion like that one scrub mook he played in Resurrection F and replacing Gundam Tanaka's VA from Danganronpa 2 in the Danganronpa 3 anime and then there was the Hells poo poo that they did too. By all accounts I would've expected Kaiser and Lani to move towards more direct voice over work, but I suppose they really do aspire to be the internet content creators they have been for over a decade with their own stuff this time instead of just using footage from an existing property like they've made their names off of doing.

Burkion posted:

They were trying to become a dub house. I wonder how that went

This was never the case. The Hells dub was something that happened entirely by chance that Kaiser took up from a Discotek head that liked their work on DBZA. Kaiser never did it as an attempt to jumpstart them into a dub studio moreso as a way to see if they could do legitimate dubbing work outside of parody.

ImpAtom posted:

I'd like to know which of them this could be because all three of the main dudes are a little weird in their own ways, so I could see them coming off badly to someone else, although Taka himself talks like he has a lot of respect for the voice acting profession so I don't think he'd be the one to do "crap jobs" or whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.Then again, he ostensibly loves and respects FF7 and went on to make FF7 Machinabriged, so I guess there's really no accounting for taste on that.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 14, 2020

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I'll be honest, I never watched it when it was coming out and trying to watch dba in 2020 is really really tough. I don't think it aged particularly well

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

It depends. Sometimes it is bit parts or sometimes it's taking a voice in something you genuinely would rather not have to work on. Like how Troy Baker basically said "no more anime" after he became popular enough he could afford to turn down projects. Pretty much any voice actor you can name takes crap jobs (including frequently uncredited or pseudonym credits jobs because voice acting is lovely and abusive in a lot of ways) and it helps build them up as reliable and to form networking connections, the latter of which is basically essential to keep getting jobs because if you end up being a problem you're hosed. (Like our good old friend Legally A Literal Piece Of poo poo Vic.)

Ramadu posted:

I'll be honest, I never watched it when it was coming out and trying to watch dba in 2020 is really really tough. I don't think it aged particularly well

The first season is borderline unwatchable but they get their feet under them in Season 2 where it holds together better. There are still some jokes which landed like a wet thud at the time and are absolutely awful now (Freaky Alien Genotype being at the *top* of the list) however.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It depends. Sometimes it is bit parts or sometimes it's taking a voice in something you genuinely would rather not have to work on. Like how Troy Baker basically said "no more anime" after he became popular enough he could afford to turn down projects. Pretty much any voice actor you can name takes crap jobs (including frequently uncredited or pseudonym credits jobs because voice acting is lovely and abusive in a lot of ways) and it helps build them up as reliable and to form networking connections, the latter of which is basically essential to keep getting jobs because if you end up being a problem you're hosed. (Like our good old friend Legally A Literal Piece Of poo poo Vic.)

Now see that’s the confusing part, like as far as I was aware dealing with poo poo like commercials and bit roles was the norm with, say, some voice actors like Chris Hackney having the range they do and saying they work an office job 40 hours a week on top of voice acting. So the idea of a “crap job” seems beyond absurd for guys who are most well known for their glorified fandub of a series, unless they were taken out of context or whatever.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ImpAtom posted:

The first season is borderline unwatchable but they get their feet under them in Season 2 where it holds together better. There are still some jokes which landed like a wet thud at the time and are absolutely awful now (Freaky Alien Genotype being at the *top* of the list) however.

Yeah I never made it out of the first like 3 or 4. I just sorta chalked the love up to nostalgia and the humor of the time being funny. There's a lot of 2000s stuff like that tbh, especially comedy. Looooots of 2000s comedy has aged poorly to put it nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ramadu posted:

Yeah I never made it out of the first like 3 or 4. I just sorta chalked the love up to nostalgia and the humor of the time being funny. There's a lot of 2000s stuff like that tbh, especially comedy. Looooots of 2000s comedy has aged poorly to put it nicely.

Yeah to be honest, the only part of the first season maybe worth watching is the Saiyan fights. Not saying you should give it another shot or anything, just confirming that even people who enjoyed DBZA are pretty comfortable saying the early part suuuuucks.