Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
It's not a joke, e30 is really a two-door sedan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Alarbus posted:

Wait, what the gently caress. What insurance company is this?
plymouth rock. my agent was furious with them and says she isnt signing policies with them anymore over this. i ended up getting hanover, but the premium was still iirc 600 bucks more than it was for the 2008

in other news, i cracked a style 193 rim today. another 500 bucks out the window :shepspends: so grateful my PO decided to go with 18" rims!!

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

My DD is a 2006 e90 (325i) that goes through low beam bulbs like once a year. They are the stock pre LCI halogens, so they don’t look great and are pretty dim. I’d like to swap them for halos, but don’t want to be that guy with the terrible LED lights. What is the best thing to do in this situation? Any products/brands that you’d recommend?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

These are great: https://www.luxangeleyes.com

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

plymouth rock. my agent was furious with them and says she isnt signing policies with them anymore over this. i ended up getting hanover, but the premium was still iirc 600 bucks more than it was for the 2008

in other news, i cracked a style 193 rim today. another 500 bucks out the window :shepspends: so grateful my PO decided to go with 18" rims!!

Wow.

Uh, I know there's a lot of different factors, probably including a random number generator, and I've been there since I started driving, but my State Farm policy is 430/6 months. I think I pay slightly less for my 2015 335 than my wife does for her 2008 Focus. I don't even think my rates went up when I sold the 2009 328 for this car.

Also, I washed my car. I shouldn't have, because now I can see all the winter and highway damage. :(

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

dang. mine is 1280 a year, paid in full. I guess some other factors at work may be that it's a coupe, i'm under 30, it has the m-sport package, and is blue. i think i dont have any insurance points against me though.

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

Thank you - unless I’m overlooking something, they don’t have anything for pre LCI halogens.

chaibat fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 12, 2020

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I live in Oakland CA and when I was shopping quotes for 2016 F31s and it was gonna cost me $148 a month for a wagon!

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

flightless greeb posted:

I live in Oakland CA and when I was shopping quotes for 2016 F31s and it was gonna cost me $148 a month for a wagon!
It’s always a function of how brown your zipcode is more than anything else.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
As a Michigan resident, I’m legally obligated to talk about Michigan insurance rates whenever insurance chat comes up. Michigan insurance is absurd.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As a Michigan resident, I’m legally obligated to talk about Michigan insurance rates whenever insurance chat comes up. Michigan insurance is absurd.

Ah yes, the "it's no one's fault so therefore it's everyone's fault" model of liability, but not actually socialized.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Are you guys talking like liability only coverage or something, full coverage on my E82 is like $1400/6 months :(

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I looked at a bill from State Farm the other day and I apparently pay $217/month for my s2k and M3.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

fknlo posted:

I looked at a bill from State Farm the other day and I apparently pay $217/month for my s2k and M3.
Do you use an agent?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

rscott posted:

Are you guys talking like liability only coverage or something, full coverage on my E82 is like $1400/6 months :(

Holy poo poo.

Edit:
Why the gently caress do old BMWs cost so much for insurance :psyduck:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 13, 2020

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
lol we pay 750/6 months for a Macan, boxster, beater, and enough liability to run through a preschool at recess.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Do you use an agent?

Yes. I think Colorado has pretty high rates and I pay more for extra coverage. The minimums here are a literal joke. No clue if my bill is high or not for here.

e: The average yearly rate here is over $1700 a year, I'm probably not doing bad for having 2 cars with extra coverage.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 13, 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Here's a mind gently caress - replacing my Focus RS with a brand new M4 with the same coverage will DECREASE my insurance premiums by ~$20, according to Geico.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I have whatever is normal for PA regarding the tort options here, and $250 deductible on collision. This has overall about the same as when I lived in Vermont.

I think my R6 used to be about $600 per year? They used to calculate motorcycles on displacement not type, not sure if that's changed or not. I do have a mortgage now though.

Not sure if I posted this before or not, but the 2020 car club raffle is open. Started June 1, runs to October 2!

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

Edit:

135 - owner guaranteed to crash.

AM - not a lot of traffic on a flat bed.

E:

Here is mine.

Looking at this now, does anyone here use classic car insurance ie Haggerty etc? If so what has been your experience? Especially if you have needed to make a claim.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 13, 2020

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KillHour posted:

Edit:

They don't...

That's with full 250/500/100 liability, 250/500/100 underinsured, and low deductible comp & collision. I looked into raising the deductibles but it saves nearly zero. Maybe I should drop collision at this point, though...

And that's after it went up a bit after changing zip codes.

Quoting my existing policy on a 2009 135i actually goes down $9/6mo :lol:

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 13, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I pay just under $500 every 6 months for a 2003 325xi Touring and a 2002 M3. Granted that's with a high deductible and the touring is liability only cause it's probably not worth saving if it gets wrecked.

Also my Dad gave me great advice when I was first buying insurance, always buy roadside coverage. It's worth it especially if you catch a flat in a car that doesn't have a spare.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Guinness posted:

They don't...

That's with full 250/500/100 liability, 250/500/100 underinsured, and low deductible comp & collision. I looked into raising the deductibles but it saves nearly zero. Maybe I should drop collision at this point, though...

And that's after it went up a bit after changing zip codes.

Quoting my existing policy on a 2009 135i actually goes down $9/6mo :lol:

That's a poo poo ton for a 16 year old car.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'm always amazed at just how little insurance you Americans can actually get away with, considering how litigation happy your country is.

Like here in Canada the bare minimum policy is $500k personal liability/personal damages, and most people have $1 or 2 mil.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip

It's this. I make enough money where I feel like I need to carry significantly more than the minimums.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I pay 114 a month on my 135 with a 500 deductible.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I should probably reevaluate since financial circumstances have changed a bit from five years ago. My 6/mo premium is roughly $450 for 50k/100k/50k with comp on my Civic Si and comp/collision on the S2000; Arizona minimums are like 15k/30k/15k or some poo poo.

S2000 will go to an agreed value policy since lol @ a ~$8.5k KBB value on a car that would probably cost $35k to replicate at this point. Probably go to a CSL on both or something.

Popete posted:

Also my Dad gave me great advice when I was first buying insurance, always buy roadside coverage. It's worth it especially if you catch a flat in a car that doesn't have a spare.

I carry AAA premiere for this, they also do stuff like international drivers licenses :v: I switched when I found out the hard way that my insurance company at the time only reimbursed $60 or something if you didn't use their specific (lovely) tow service.

KillHour posted:

That's a poo poo ton for a 16 year old car.

Uninsured and underinsured is where you get killed (literally and figuratively), especially if you live in a place filled with people that don't have insurance.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 13, 2020

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

ThirstyBuck posted:

Looking at this now, does anyone here use classic car insurance ie Haggerty etc? If so what has been your experience? Especially if you have needed to make a claim.
I had Hagerty on the M3, when I picked up the M5 I shopped around and switched to Grundy. Hagerty was around $1300 for 45k agreed, Grundy is <$800 for 75k agreed. I've had one claim but it was just a $250 tow when a radiator failed, they paid quick and no issues at all.

Regular insurance talk...switching from the VW to the i3 added a decent amount to my monthly premium. We pay a bit over $250 a month for the 320i, i3, F100, Highlander and the Locost under an umbrella policy 250k/500k/100k.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrChips posted:

I'm always amazed at just how little insurance you Americans can actually get away with, considering how litigation happy your country is.

Like here in Canada the bare minimum policy is $500k personal liability/personal damages, and most people have $1 or 2 mil.

have you considered that the us is a garbage country?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

BraveUlysses posted:

have you considered that the us is a garbage country?

the thought had crossed my mind on one or two thousand occasions

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
drat I was thinking of selling my M3 because I’m paying $580 every 6 months and I’m WFH now.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
2016 Subaru Outback: $500 every 6 months

2019 M2: $470 every 6 months

Insurance companies must be rolling in it lately, with no changes in premiums and absolutely no payouts on the horizon

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

2016 Subaru Outback: $500 every 6 months

2019 M2: $470 every 6 months

Insurance companies must be rolling in it lately, with no changes in premiums and absolutely no payouts on the horizon

Four year old Subaru more expensive than one year old sports car is odd. I remember seeing they were going to give refunds or discounts since no one is driving but I don't know if any companies actually did. I haven't seen a discount or refund of any kind.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My agent told me her new Camry is like 2000 a year

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Allstate has been giving me back like $45 a month I think but I'm paying for two cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

flightless greeb posted:

Allstate has been giving me back like $45 a month I think but I'm paying for two cars.

We got 35 a month which I think is roughly ~14%

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Four year old Subaru more expensive than one year old sports car is odd. I remember seeing they were going to give refunds or discounts since no one is driving but I don't know if any companies actually did. I haven't seen a discount or refund of any kind.

Geico is doing 15%.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
State Farm said they'd give "something" back, but I just got my bill and don't see a change, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Uthor posted:

State Farm said they'd give "something" back, but I just got my bill and don't see a change, so :shrug:

The state farm one takes effect late June, I think.