Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sure, the guidelines say to put round pegs in round holes, but we've already decided we need to put the square pegs in, so working with experts we've formulated a plan where square pegs are round and therefore can be inserted into round holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Just to clarify, the U of Minn. has 50K+ students, faculty and staff

The vast majority are on the Twin Cities campus, and within that:

most are on the East Bank (east side of Mississippi)
then some on the west bank (obviously on the west side, this is also where Ilhan's district is and most of the Somali population)
then there is also a St. Paul campus

In the article it says masks will not be required like they are in Minneapolis, because the University is allowed to set their own rules here.

quote:

Gabel reiterated Friday that the university will recommend — not require — that students and faculty wear masks. Because of the U’s constitutional independence, she said, the school does not have to follow the Minneapolis indoor mask mandate, which includes educational institutions.

In a statement Friday, a spokesman for Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey cast doubt on that notion.

“While Mayor Frey acknowledges that the University is in charge of the academic mission on their campus, he trusts that University leadership shares his strong commitment to protecting public health in Minneapolis and anticipates they would want to comply with the cloth mask requirement to help limit the spread of COVID-19,” spokesman Mychal Vlatkovich said.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
My back finally stopped hurting and my husband and I got into an argument so I drove to the only place close that wouldn't have people, or so I thought. There was a funeral at the graveyard that I avoided and looked like 25 or so people milling about some kissing and hugging. I hung a left and a good bit down the lane were some random open graves. I'd not seen them leave any open before unattended so of course I took a picture

It was pleasantly warm with a cool breeze and birds were singing

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

actionjackson posted:

then some on the west bank (obviously on the west side, this is also where Ilhan's district is and most of the Somali population)

In the article it says masks will not be required like they are in Minneapolis, because the University is allowed to set their own rules here.

Good to know the local popeyes is taking this more seriously than U of M

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

actionjackson posted:

are they not even allowing professors to chose to keep their class online? I go to UCF and were a 63k student uni and one of my fall classes has already decided against doing in person because the professor has a million co-morbities lol

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
stay well, safe, and with us, facetoucher cat. your posts have been great

the open grave is creepy

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Every public high school and university is definitely going to open in the fall because public officials want to get the kids protesting off the street

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Atrocious Joe posted:

Every public high school and university is definitely going to open in the fall because public officials want to get the kids protesting off the street

Lol fall is an eternity away in the cool zone

Plus the vast majority of people protesting are out of college

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

schools open in like 9 weeks

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

euphronius posted:

schools open in like 9 weeks

People are hoping that, but I am strongly doubtful it will happen.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

Also semper death, might as well teach them some algebra

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
I really wish we could just go back to lockdown I don't want to get covid.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Live Free posted:

Think of number

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Live Free posted:

your wrong, you want it

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Live Free posted:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Live Free posted:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zil posted:

People are hoping that, but I am strongly doubtful it will happen.
It will be very interesting to see what the situation is like in another month or two.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Live Free posted:

I have no more money and I'm not eligible for Bernie bucks for some stupid reason because of Medicare or Medicaid or something

If I get the virus and have to stop working, or if we lock down without any more money from the government, I'm going to be out on my rear end most likely

Whatever's coming will break this country into pieces.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Lol at southerners itt

midwest gang 4 lyf

https://twitter.com/JordanAbudayyeh/status/1271618590815502336

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

I'm increasingly convinced that the wealthy have become too inbred, disconnected, and stupid a la ancien regime to behave like predictably self intetrested rational actors

sir please show more respect towards president donald trump

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

facetoucher cat posted:

My back finally stopped hurting and my husband and I got into an argument so I drove to the only place close that wouldn't have people, or so I thought. There was a funeral at the graveyard that I avoided and looked like 25 or so people milling about some kissing and hugging. I hung a left and a good bit down the lane were some random open graves. I'd not seen them leave any open before unattended so of course I took a picture

It was pleasantly warm with a cool breeze and birds were singing

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Live Free posted:

I really wish we could just go back to get covid I don't want to lockdown.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I'm never going to feel stupid for wearing a mask while no one around me does ever again. Thanks for this.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

It's saturday and it's time to party. we have earned this break from covid. social distancing can wait for tomorrow

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

:toot:

What's the latest on outdoor recreational spread like trail walking? Zero percent mask usage at a popular forest preserve this morning. Not too crowded when we got there, but it was starting to get packed by the time we got back to our car

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

I just wanted to point out that the mod who gave out this probation is a very stupid person, and is emblematic of the problem the US faces.
"Don't tell someone to traumatize a child"

Or put another way, don't tell the truth if it will upset people. This is what's being done at every level and its why we will never beat this thing. The mother in that story should be shamed for her stupidity, and yes her kids should know she's putting lives in danger.

I 100% agree with this. Kids are wiser than what people give them credit for. My 6 year old daughter can't fathom why people would smoke cigarettes because you'll die from that, and she understands that getting Covid-19 could hurt you forever or kill you.

Bullshit probe for a good post and even better advice.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

brugroffil posted:

:toot:

What's the latest on outdoor recreational spread like trail walking? Zero percent mask usage at a popular forest preserve this morning. Not too crowded when we got there, but it was starting to get packed by the time we got back to our car

epidemiologists agree, from everything I've seen, that it's about the lowest risk social activity that isn't just sitting inside on actual lockdown

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

If I wasn't phone posting I'd give everyone complaining about someone else's sixer one of their own

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

To add to this, I'm sorry if this makes me look like a naive idiot, but it just boggles me how people have previously been so wrong or OUTRIGHT LIED about the masks. My problem with this is who the gently caress are we supposed to trust? I don't want to be one of those people who "follows their gut". My gut is non-existent. Authority is the only reference I have. Multiple sources are how I determine what is real. How the gently caress does anyone deal with this? How do you know what is real if you have multiple contradictory sources of information and everyone has an agenda? How do you LIVE? Going to war on false pretense is one thing but manipulating science? How do you stop yourself from turning into an equivalent of a flat earther?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm going to buy some paper bags to store my n95s in the hot outdoor shed while I cycle through them lol haha gently caress

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love
A personal milestone today: it’s been 100 days since I left my house. :unsmith:

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Florida's at 2581 new cases for today.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

AceOfFlames posted:

To add to this, I'm sorry if this makes me look like a naive idiot, but it just boggles me how people have previously been so wrong or OUTRIGHT LIED about the masks. My problem with this is who the gently caress are we supposed to trust? I don't want to be one of those people who "follows their gut". My gut is non-existent. Authority is the only reference I have. Multiple sources are how I determine what is real. How the gently caress does anyone deal with this? How do you know what is real if you have multiple contradictory sources of information and everyone has an agenda? How do you LIVE?

At this point my idea is to see what most big medical orgs and national cdc-type outfits are saying. Certainly don't just trust whatever the CDC is saying these days.

But of course the actual experts are learning new information about this and how it spreads daily, and there's much they still don't know for sure. But too many people are deciding "better huge unnecessary risk of pandemic death and suffering than mild inconvenience!" anyway

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

Florida's at 2581 new cases for today.

I'm seeing more focus on the "positive test rate" lately since pure case counts alone can go up just from more testing.

But if we're testing like crazy but not actually doing anything and still getting +25k cases a day across the country, then we're not really making any progress. Is anywhere actually implementing contact tracing yet?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pump Jockey posted:

That's close to "spaceship to Mars" time, IIRC

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

eke out posted:

Florida:

https://twitter.com/MiamiHerald/status/1271837143984492544

here's my crude rendition of the last three days' numbers relative to columbia's default 5% projection

HahhahahhahahhahahahhHHahHahHAhahahahaha give me death

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pump Jockey posted:

Wow, God drat

As for forests and stuff , just wear a mask. I haven't seen a single thing about spread being an issue outdoors, but you're absolutely going to walk past people who could have an allergy attack and covid sneeze in your face. I've been living this rule for months and everyone thinks I'm nuts but I'm also the only one comfortable with a mask on at this point since it's not some giant mental burden like it is for most people

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 18:51 on Jun 13, 2020

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Since I'm in spiraling mode, how the hell do people keep any sort of motivation while living alone? I don't cook, I don't clean, I don't wash my clothes, I don't exercise, I can hardly work. I am spending tons on take out and am getting fatter every day and there's no one to stop me! I moved in recently and still have boxes everywhere, a floor that's broken that I can't find anyone to fix, my curtains are boxes and now I finally got a drill and am making holes in a wall for the first time in 32 years of life and I already screwed this up due to a stepladder being too short and alignment being out of wack. Does everyone go through this sort of thing? How do you learn this sort of thing other than youtube tutorials? Do people magically remember all those times their dads made them watch do boring DIY work?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

AceOfFlames posted:

To add to this, I'm sorry if this makes me look like a naive idiot, but it just boggles me how people have previously been so wrong or OUTRIGHT LIED about the masks. My problem with this is who the gently caress are we supposed to trust? I don't want to be one of those people who "follows their gut". My gut is non-existent. Authority is the only reference I have. Multiple sources are how I determine what is real. How the gently caress does anyone deal with this? How do you know what is real if you have multiple contradictory sources of information and everyone has an agenda? How do you LIVE?

specifically with the masks thing it's why health COMMUNICATION is such an important discipline within the Public Health sphere and why treating things like the CDC or the WHO (yes I know it's a private entity shut the gently caress up) as even remotely political is hugely dangerous. even small ideological nudges can throw things into disarray, and when you're dealing with an increasingly-uneducated population like the USA said nudges have compounding effects on public confidence, as you're experiencing. I know you're not in the US too, so the... leading authoritative voices on said things being so fundamentally corrupted spools outwards with our idiotic hegemony.

the initial "mask" comms debacle can be traced through posts even in this forum: the sublimation of important health messaging to market dynamics. everyone freaks out and wants the Number One Best Protection, which is in short supply and incapable of being distributed to a suddenly enormous new font of demand. so the messaging to reserve N95s and whatever for healthcare providers was critical AT THAT TIME and had to be hammered home somehow.

however because the communication and propaganda crafted around this messaging neglected the fundamental problem (profit-driven supply shortages) and because we have the collective attention span of a boogle of weasels, this became canonical.

as a public health person (credentialed not practicing lol) it's been incredibly frustrating. Right-wing messaging supports and reinforces itself at all angles. it's like gravity/entropy. it just cascades into itself.

cherries jubilee and that's it come on KG lets go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

ok now this looks more accurate although there's still too much green