Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my sister to get over her stillbirth and to be grateful for what she has?

quote:

My sister and I have never gotten on that well. We’re only ten months apart so struggled to have our own identities outside of each other. When she was 19, she got pregnant and started her family with her now husband. She had three kids, and then tried for a fourth, which was born stillborn with no warning. Understandably, she was devastated, but this was ten years ago now, and she’s had two children since.

She’s always used it as an excuse for things. If she wants a bit of attention from our parents she brings it up and they’re straight there. If she’s late to a family gathering “oh sorry I’m late we were visiting babies grave”, “oh sorry I’m late I was just sad about baby” and I do understand it, but I was told at 14 that I’m infertile so for her to be like that when she has 5 healthy children always feels like a massive kick in the teeth.

A few nights ago her and her family came over to my husband and I’s house, as well as our parents and other sister who’s a few years older than us. The anniversary of her stillbirth was the day before, so I was expecting it to be brought up at some point. I asked her to help me cook dinner and when she brought a tray out of the oven, she didn’t look where she was going and burnt me on the arm. Her excuse was that she was thinking about the baby that should’ve been ten years old today. I tried to push it out of my mind to keep the peace.

It gets to eating our dinner and it’s all her and her husband are talking about. I asked about how her actual living kids are doing and she brought it back to her stillbirth. I asked how her job was going and she somehow managed to bring it back. I was getting absolutely sick of it so I just said “do you not think it’s time you should be grateful for the kids you have, get therapy and get over it”

She burst into tears, of course, and her husband called me a bitch before leaving with her. My parents are absolutely furious with me saying “you know what she’s been through” and even my husband is saying it was uncalled for. AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

You get to make adult choices when you stop living rent free at your.parents house while working but spending your money on frivolous poo poo rather than saving up to move out. OP already said the fact it's tattoos is less important than the fact she's taking advantage of them by essentially pretending to save up for the move.

Yeah its a disgrace she needs to just give her paychecks over to her mom so the mom can decide which cost and socially appropriate hobbies her daughter is allowed to partake in.

And anyone who goes straight to throwing someone out over a no-tattoos rule "because she's not saving money properly" is also the kind of moralizing rear end in a top hat who would freak out if the daughter applied for welfare benefits (you know, being threatened with homelessness and all) because the neighbors could all find out then the whole town knows the daughter is some lazy welfare queen.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 13, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

You get to make adult choices when you stop living rent free at your.parents house while working but spending your money on frivolous poo poo rather than saving up to move out. OP already said the fact it's tattoos is less important than the fact she's taking advantage of them by essentially pretending to save up for the move.

yeah because if you ever buy anything while saving up, you're just pretending to save.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

At best it's an everyone sucks, anyone who is so against tattoos that they'd kick their own child out for having them is an arsehole as far as I'm concerned. If you care more about policing your child's appearance than making sure they're safe and provided for then gently caress you. It's pretty dumb to think they somehow reduce the worth of a person, and it's pretty repugnant to think that your children becoming less valuable people makes them less deserving of your love. I'd also be willing to bet that the stuff about paying board and saving to move out hasn't been addressed at all, she's just been bottling up resentment towards her 20 year old daughter. If it has been discussed properly and daughter lied about it then maybe it can be an everyone sucks, but I'm pretty sure OP is just a loving rear end in a top hat who thinks their child is property.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Fatkraken posted:

I get what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure you're giving the OP way too much credit. First, the tattoos are definitely the most important fact. The saving money thing is the less important thing added to help sway reddit.
Also:

quote:

She has been living with us without paying board despite working full time and I am also angry that she is wasting her money on tattoos rather trying to pay her way. The reason why we have allowed her to live with us without paying anything is we wanted her to be able to save to buy a house and get a head start in life.
There's actually nothing here that says this something they've discussed or made a plan for her saving. I'd bet the "discussion" went no further "of course you can stay with us until you're financially good to move out" "ok, cool," with no timelines or targets. If the daughter had actually been "pretending to save up for the move" as opposed to just not saving every last cent and spending some on tattoos then OP would have said so.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Well, if the money-saving applies to tattoos does it also apply to food? Gas? hanging out with friends? video games? or any other number of sundry things a 19 year old could be spending their money on?

Had she frittered the money away on yarn or something they wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Ok, so maybe i have baggage because i asked my roommate (lodger, it's my house) to move out nearly 3 years ago because they are incapable of keeping shared areas tidy and in that time they have saved up precisely nothing, often needing to borrow money, while spending large amounts on toy robots and board games.....

Even so, i think we're all reading between the lines because it's not a very long post, I'm just reading different things than most of y'all. I do agree that being dead set against tattoos is a red flag though, so maybe my benefit of the doubt was misplaced

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA the for telling my daughter she should move out after discovering her tattoos?

INFO: Is your house a Jewish cemetery?

One of my friends actually got a ton of poo poo from her mom because of that whole thing when she got a tattoo.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

Ok, so maybe i have baggage because i asked my roommate (lodger, it's my house) to move out nearly 3 years ago because they are incapable of keeping shared areas tidy and in that time they have saved up precisely nothing, often needing to borrow money, while spending large amounts on toy robots and board games.....

Yeah everybody's going to hate that, you didn't give birth to that freeloader you were just being nice and they were ungrateful and lovely

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for calling my coworker “Karen”?

quote:

I’m a cashier at a larger grocery store. There’s ~70 cashiers so I don’t expect everyone to know my name, especially since I’ve only been there six months and part time. And to be fair, I have long hair that can sometimes obscure my name tag. As well, I have an “ethnic” name that despite being short and easy to pronounce, it is quite uncommon. I’m completely used to people asking me what my name is and telling them.

One day one of my coworkers (Kristen) is calling me by the wrong name (Ashley) and gets frustrated when I wasn’t responding. When I finally look over and realize she was talking to me, I give a slight laugh and say “sorry, my name is Amla.” She apologizes and says that she realized right away when I turned that she was using the wrong name. No big deal, don’t think twice about it.

Then I found out that there is another coworker named Ashley, and she looks somewhat similar to me. Ashley is from a different ethnicity than I am, but we have similar skin tones and body types. But we really don’t really look that similar, in that our hair and facial features are quite different. But I’m guessing because our names both start with “A” that’s why Kristen was confused. Once again, not a big deal.

But then one day, Kristen calls me Ashley again. Give a smile and say “sorry, my name is Amla.” She apologizes again. She calls me Ashley again later on in the same day, and I made the mistake of not correcting her this time because we were walking past each other and I would’ve had to turn around or yelled.

But then another day, Kristen calls me Ashley again. Once again, I say “my name is Amla.” She responds “whoops it’s hard to remember everyone’s name” And I say “it’s just that you always call me by someone else’s name, do you think we are the same person or do you call her by my name?” And she says “you two just look so similar, I just get so confused. But it’s easier for me to just call you both Ashley because it’s an easier name.” And that really upset me, and I realize I could’ve handled it better BUT with her being a middle-aged white woman I responded “well thats unfair. I could call you Karen, because that’s easier for me.”

And she responded “that’s really offensive for you to say that. It’s not my fault your name is so hard for me to pronounce and remember. At least I’m putting in an effort instead of going “hey you” everytime I see you.”

And I really should’ve let it go but I said “I’d rather you call me “hey you” instead of generalizing two brown girls and telling me my name is too hard for you to bother learning.”

Anyways, I have a meeting with my manager and Kristen tomorrow. Most people I know are telling me I’m in the wrong and I should just apologize tomorrow. I agree I took it far by bringing race into it, but I don’t know.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

It really does strongly depend on what sort of discussion there was about the daughter saving up and moving out. Nothing about the post makes me think the mother ever brought it up properly and just assumed things so she doesn't have a lot of ground to stand on. That's the real thing she needs to talk to her daughter about but she won't because she is mad at her adult daughter making her own choices and it's way easier to just be mad about that.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Stand your ground! gently caress that lady and it’s only a part time job Ashley!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Anyways, I have a meeting with my manager and Kristen tomorrow.
Weird how Karen remembered her name when it came to talking to the manager.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

kdrudy posted:

It really does strongly depend on what sort of discussion there was about the daughter saving up and moving out. Nothing about the post makes me think the mother ever brought it up properly and just assumed things so she doesn't have a lot of ground to stand on. That's the real thing she needs to talk to her daughter about but she won't because she is mad at her adult daughter making her own choices and it's way easier to just be mad about that.

Living at home as an young adult in your parents house is a common thing in most societies, throwing kids out at 18 and laughing at them in the street is a pretty distinct White America thing.

The same parents screaming "my house my rules" are the same who would try and kick out their underage teens for any act of disrespect or disobedience rather then be forced to communicate and actually parent their children.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I am sure that one can easily make rent and groceries for multiple months on the price of several tattoos.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Motherfucker posted:

If you tell me to stop moaning during my prostate exam that is kink shaming and I will have you cancelled SO FAST

moaning while your blood is drawn? im kink shaming you try to cancel me you vampire.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Solenna posted:

From Ask A Manager

Can I wear a collar now that we’re on video?

One of my brothers is an academic, and he told me that at international work conferences, there's always this professor with a collar (and a mesh shirt, leather pants, so admittedly a bit more extreme than this woman) constantly followed by a strict-looking woman who never speaks but is there anyway. To him and many of the other academics in his age cohort (mid 30s) it is very, very obvious this guy is in some sort of TPE / 24/7 BDSM relationship, but God drat if it doesn't make conferences awkward.

To add the cherry ball gag on top, my brother's field is psychology.

A few years ago I participated in a thesis student's dissertation on BDSM as part of a questionnaire panel and a live interview, and interestingly she told me that there is a disproportionate amount of subs that studied or are active in psychology, while doms are more likely to be from STEM fields. As an aside, it was an interesting panel to be part of, I got to meet a guy who described himself as a "submissive sadist", something I never even thought existed. The panel itself took place in a university basement because it was the only space available at the time, but we all sniggered at the appropriateness of it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I got to meet a guy who described himself as a "submissive sadist", something I never even thought existed.
I assume this is a "serial killer's assistant" type thing, where you want to be a piece of poo poo to others but by having someone else tell you to do it you absolve yourself of responsibility because you were just following orders.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

So uhh... I guess Karen asked to speak to her manager?

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
WIBTA if I tell my co-worker the baby name she picked is kind of bad?

quote:

So, my coworker just had a baby girl and named her Nazia... Not only is the word Nazi in the name but it is pronounced exactly the same as the word nausea. She has not realized this and hasn't put it together yet. WIBTA if I let her know before a stranger does? She's already written the birth certificate papers.

Edit: She is a Canadian white woman, not foreign or anything

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I got to meet a guy who described himself as a "submissive sadist"

Did he like to be beaten with clubs that have bad ergonomics, giving his masochist dom carpal tunnel?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I assume this is a "serial killer's assistant" type thing, where you want to be a piece of poo poo to others but by having someone else tell you to do it you absolve yourself of responsibility because you were just following orders.

I don't think it counts as being a piece of poo poo to others if the others are enjoying the pain you inflict and everyone agreed beforehand that this is what you're doing. That'd be like calling a WWE fighter someone who commits assault.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pope Hilarius II posted:

One of my brothers is an academic, and he told me that at international work conferences, there's always this professor with a collar (and a mesh shirt, leather pants, so admittedly a bit more extreme than this woman) constantly followed by a strict-looking woman who never speaks but is there anyway. To him and many of the other academics in his age cohort (mid 30s) it is very, very obvious this guy is in some sort of TPE / 24/7 BDSM relationship, but God drat if it doesn't make conferences awkward.

To add the cherry ball gag on top, my brother's field is psychology.

A few years ago I participated in a thesis student's dissertation on BDSM as part of a questionnaire panel and a live interview, and interestingly she told me that there is a disproportionate amount of subs that studied or are active in psychology, while doms are more likely to be from STEM fields. As an aside, it was an interesting panel to be part of, I got to meet a guy who described himself as a "submissive sadist", something I never even thought existed. The panel itself took place in a university basement because it was the only space available at the time, but we all sniggered at the appropriateness of it.
There are dominant masochists, too, as far as I know. Apparently the dynamic involves ordering the other person in what actions they take.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Puppy Time posted:

I don't think it counts as being a piece of poo poo to others if the others are enjoying the pain you inflict and everyone agreed beforehand that this is what you're doing. That'd be like calling a WWE fighter someone who commits assault.
I'm kinkshaming and you can't stop me. I don't know about WWE, but I'd definitely say that of MMA fighters or boxers. Doing it with consent makes you less of a piece of poo poo than doing it without consent, but you're still someone who enjoys abusing others.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

She is a Canadian white woman, not foreign or anything

i wonder what folks she was thinking of included in "foreign" or "anything" and why those would make the name suddenly cool

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I'm kinkshaming and you can't stop me. I don't know about WWE, but I'd definitely say that of MMA fighters or boxers. Doing it with consent makes you less of a piece of poo poo than doing it without consent, but you're still someone who enjoys abusing others.

Having done both of those as an amateur, the joy of it isn’t in hurting people, being in the ring is this insanely transcendent experience that forces you to be in the moment and processing a ton of information while being hit in the face. It’s like full-contact meditation. I’m one of the most laid back and nonviolent people I know, but in the ring it was completely different. It’s a pretty similar rush to the one I get driving an ambulance lights and sirens through heavy traffic but turned up by a factor of ten. I actually didn’t really understand what exactly I was feeling until I read something by Karl Marlantes explaining the concept of transcendence in things like that.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Khanstant posted:

i wonder what folks she was thinking of included in "foreign" or "anything" and why those would make the name suddenly cool

"Nazia" appears to be a legitimate Pakistani name.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Gnoman posted:

"Nazia" appears to be a legitimate Pakistani name.

Yes but iirc it's pronounced Na-Jia not nausea, so mom didn't even get that part right lol

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my sister to get over her stillbirth and to be grateful for what she has?

nta my child hood sucked because my older brother died before i was born and you live in its shadow forever so you are only helping her real children.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Tarkus posted:

Well, if the money-saving applies to tattoos does it also apply to food? Gas? hanging out with friends? video games? or any other number of sundry things a 19 year old could be spending their money on?

Had she frittered the money away on yarn or something they wouldn't bat an eyelid.

A good full back tattoo is gonna be in the realm of 4 digits which is kind of a high expense for someone you're supporting that is promising to use their money eventually. We've seen many posts about stuff like that and whether it's computers or xboxes or w/e, most of the thread would agree with the OP. Eating out occasionally or having coffee with friends is a bit different and unless it's constant it's prolly not worth picking a fight over.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA For Not Driving A Girl Home, Just Because She Was Scared?

quote:

Pre-qurantine!

So I (26M) was going on this date.

Context- This girl (24F) let's call her Lin, was a friend of my friend. He recommended going on a date with Lin, so I said sure.

On to the story-

So we met at this restaurant that I had never heard of, and it was because Lin lived 30 minutes from here and requested this.

So Lin came, and she was gorgeous, we chatted, and she told me she walked here, since she didn't want to waste gas on a car. I didn't really mind and the convo went on.

Me and Lin really did hit it off, and we talked for an hour, went for a movie (that was 10 minutes from the restaurant) , talked more, had fun and i actually had hope in this date.

So then we had to part, and I assumed Lin would walk home, but she asked me if I could drive her home, since it was night and she never expected the date to go for so long and that she doesn't want to walk this night.

I didn't want to waste gas, plus I felt like she was just using me for my car so I politely declined. She asked one more time because she didn't want to walk home at this time, because a few guys always walked around her neighbourhood at this time.

I told her I couldn't, and she accepted it, glared at me, before leaving.

The next day, I asked her if she made it home safe. She replied a few hours later with:

'If you call getting catcalled safe, then yes I was safe!'

And then blocked me on all social media. I made another account but she told me that it didn't work out, and blocked me again.

I was devastated, since I thought this would work. I can't help but think I was in the wrong. I did have lowish gas, and nothing really bad did happen to her, and if she didn't want the possibility of walking home, she could have got a car/uber.

AITA?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Evil Willow posted:

AITA For Not Driving A Girl Home, Just Because She Was Scared?

And now, a presentation on not getting laid by OP.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

snergle posted:

nta my child hood sucked because my older brother died before i was born and you live in its shadow forever so you are only helping her real children.

Sorry dude.

Yeah, OP isn't an rear end in a top hat and anyone in the family taking the joy vampire's side is enabling her.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

Sorry dude.

Yeah, OP isn't an rear end in a top hat and anyone in the family taking the joy vampire's side is enabling her.

Anyone else remember the zombaby legacy? And how horrible it would be for any other kid that insane woman had, because Baby Faith was so perfect.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Literally A Person posted:

And now, a presentation on not getting laid by OP.

Oh my God OP why are you dating lmao

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

A good full back tattoo is gonna be in the realm of 4 digits which is kind of a high expense for someone you're supporting that is promising to use their money eventually. We've seen many posts about stuff like that and whether it's computers or xboxes or w/e, most of the thread would agree with the OP. Eating out occasionally or having coffee with friends is a bit different and unless it's constant it's prolly not worth picking a fight over.

Really starting to make sense why so many parents complain their kids don't call often enough. Threatening your adult child with homelessness for what they do with their money and their body is perfectly fine and normal to some people.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

pentyne posted:

Living at home as an young adult in your parents house is a common thing in most societies, throwing kids out at 18 and laughing at them in the street is a pretty distinct White America thing.

I've heard that even then, that was only after the post-WWII suburban housing boom.

ArbitraryC posted:

The issue there is that OP kinda made it sound as though she was mainly offended by her daughter doing something that she doesn't approve of (which she only noticed while inadvertently invading her privacy), as if the money thing was little more than a convenient excuse for her to maintain control over her daughter into adulthood.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

ArbitraryC posted:

It's almost like a parent being this loving dumb might have a reason to greatly exaggerate the extent of something they object to for no reason other than control of their adult children?

Like yeah, move out but this parent should shut the gently caress up.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I agree it's a stupid thing to get upset about but really maybe only bite the hand that feeds if you're in a position for it to stop feeding you. Adults get in awkward spots where they have to eat poo poo in life all the time, unless you're independently wealthy the usual response is to look for a way out while bearing with it. I don't think that's a good societal setup but it is reality for the foreseeable future.

Couple that with "I'm saving to moveout" friends we've all had that mysteriously seem to take their would be rent and apply it immediately to entertainment and it makes the individual setting a lot less sympathetic. This wasn't religion, sexuality, political views, it was not getting tattoos for a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Tbf stuff like that you don't really get done in one session anyway. It's not like buying a computer where you drop a bunch of money all at once. It's something you could and often do over time. She could also have a friend who does tatts who gave her a discount, or is an apprentice doing work for free etc