Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I've never played a Persona game before but I always heard nothing but glowing reviews so picked up Persona 4 Golden today when it dropped on Steam. I know literally nothing except it's school related but there are also dungeons. Is there anything I need to know going in, or is it just something that's better going in blind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Try to conserve sp but your first time through you should be planning on spending more than one day per dungeon.

Always be fusing, this ain't Pokemon even with the same stats a higher level persona will do more damage than a lower level one.

You need to complete the aeon social link to get the golden ending, and the new dungeon.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The rotate camera on the left/right bumpers being the opposite of what is on the right joystick was messing me up. Game doesn't want you to change those bindings in settings, but Steam lets you invert the horizontal bindings for that stick so all is well again.

It's good to be playing this again. I completed P3 FES but didn't go too deep into P4 when it first dropped. Glad to have it on PC and looking so good too.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Dramatika posted:

I've never played a Persona game before but I always heard nothing but glowing reviews so picked up Persona 4 Golden today when it dropped on Steam. I know literally nothing except it's school related but there are also dungeons. Is there anything I need to know going in, or is it just something that's better going in blind?

Don't spoil yourself on the plot, it's actually a pretty decent mystery that shatters all expectations by expecting you to pay attention and figure it out yourself instead of just telling you the answer.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You'll probably unlock this in a couple hours so it will all make sense. Personas are expendable and meant to be fused often. Don't hold onto one longer than it's useful.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Really glad that P4 is doing so well, hopefully this means the they'll release the other ones, I really want to play SMT4 and don't have a 3DS.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

in a couple hours

Oh right, very important note: The game does open up massively soon, it is not actually this linear, you are still in the introduction, yes it is very long, hang in there.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

P4G keeps crashing on me constantly. Cant even reliably launch the game. Time for a refund.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Stroth posted:

Oh right, very important note: The game does open up massively soon, it is not actually this linear, you are still in the introduction, yes it is very long, hang in there.

At least Golden reworked the beginning hours with letting you run around a bit and see the town. It's not much but it's better than original 4's like 3 hours of just pressing X.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I wish P5 did more experimenting with SLs like what they did with P4 by giving you two options for a couple Links. I mean the options still ended up kinda just 'okay' but I really liked the soccer club link for the most part.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

ApplesandOranges posted:

I really liked the soccer club link for the most part.

Yeah, but, I mean, music club through.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It's still an improvement over 'pick a sports club and a culture club but it doesn't matter cause they're the same people anyway.'

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
If they hadn't given two options, we might be stuck with only music club.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
the moon slink in p3 base was a threat to show how bad they could make it if they wanted to so everything else looks less awful by comparison to that

the followup was femc's justice slink which shows that they'll carry through on taking the shot

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The issue I keep having is that if you take away the romance option, the Justice link is actually pretty decent. It's about a kid who's in a hurry to grow and catch up and trying to force himself to be more mature despite enjoying some childish things. They just had to include... that.

Similarly, while the Hermit link in P5 is good, they just had to make it a romance option even though there should have been police tape around that option (that and Temperance).

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Similarly, while the Hermit link in P5 is good, they just had to make it a romance option even though there should have been police tape around that option (that and Temperance).
Refer to my tag.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I never got a chance to play golden, but I did play the original. When I saw it pop up on steam at $20 I instantly bought it. I already went through the first real dungeon to save Yukiko. It runs well and looks pretty good. It comes with the Japanese voices as an option, but the quality sounds kind of tinny. I just went back to using the English voices, which are generally pretty good anyway.

Here is hoping that royal comes out in PC as well, as I've never played it and it would be another instant buy from me. I've always been more of a PC gamer, and the persona games have been very stubborn at sticking to consoles.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
just give me nocturne and digital devil saga and both smt4's and persona 2 IS/EP with built-in turbo

i am not being unreasonable here

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

just give me nocturne and digital devil saga and both smt4's and persona 2 IS/EP with built-in turbo

i am not being unreasonable here

This is my list too. C'mon Atlus.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Turns out you can import your save from Vita to PC Golden if you have a hacked Vita. Not hard to do and the most difficult part of hex editing a file someone made an automated tool to do it for you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Filthy Monkey posted:

I never got a chance to play golden, but I did play the original. When I saw it pop up on steam at $20 I instantly bought it. I already went through the first real dungeon to save Yukiko. It runs well and looks pretty good. It comes with the Japanese voices as an option, but the quality sounds kind of tinny. I just went back to using the English voices, which are generally pretty good anyway.

Which character does Vic Mignogna voice, Yousuke or Junpei?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Which character does Vic Mignogna voice, Yousuke or Junpei?

junpei, i don't think he has a role in p4

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

cheesetriangles posted:

Turns out you can import your save from Vita to PC Golden if you have a hacked Vita. Not hard to do and the most difficult part of hex editing a file someone made an automated tool to do it for you.

Oh crap I hacked my Vita to play SNES games years ago, I should check it out!

radlum
May 13, 2013
P5R was the first Persona game where I got to max all the social links/confidants without much trouble. Will it be as easy with Persona 4 Golden?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

radlum posted:

P5R was the first Persona game where I got to max all the social links/confidants without much trouble. Will it be as easy with Persona 4 Golden?

From what I remember from playing it ages ago maxing everything on new game is pretty hard, but it was my first persona game so maybe if I'd had more experience with the series it would have been different. Pretty sure it's harder than p5/p5r though

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
Speaking of P5R I’ve been working my way through it doing really well.

I screwed up on one thing though. I didn’t realize the sun confidant had an 11/19 deadline. Which now makes it impossible to max all my s-links. Unless I go backwards 20 hours to an old save.

Do you get a special persona for maxing all s-links or is the only benefit an achievement?

I really don’t want to go back 20 hours I’m debating if it’s worth it. :(

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Beat the game finally last night (work has been sapping my strength and time so I’ve been slow going). Spent some time getting my fused Izanagi-no-Okami with the proper skills.

Repel Bless
Repel Curse
Magic Ability
Almighty Boost
Almighty Amp
Victory Cry
Concentrate
Myriad Truth

Didn’t max out the stats because I ran out of time but in the third semester final boss fight Joker never dipped below half HP. Had the team effectively build walls, buff him and debilitate the enemy for maximum effect and it cut through the final boss like tissue paper.

Worried about the The twins and Lavenza fights though because I never did those in vanilla and heard it’s much harder this time.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

DropsySufferer posted:

I screwed up on one thing though. I didn’t realize the sun confidant had an 11/19 deadline. Which now makes it impossible to max all my s-links. Unless I go backwards 20 hours to an old save.

Do you get a special persona for maxing all s-links or is the only benefit an achievement?

There’s not even a playstation trophy for it, all you miss out on is the satisfaction, the sun arcana max persona which I forgot, and a thieves den chievo

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Deltasquid posted:

There’s not even a playstation trophy for it, all you miss out on is the satisfaction, the sun arcana max persona which I forgot, and a thieves den chievo

tfw a squid forgets the majesty of the sun

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

DropsySufferer posted:

The playthrough I just finished I did the same thing and Sun was my only confidant not max rank at the end. It was a bit frustrating scrolling through a maxed out confidant list and having throat big fat 8 sitting there, especially since I had so many free evenings in December/January

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

radlum posted:

Between the large increase in nighttime options and Speed Reading being available earlier, I am also much further on in my Confidant track than I had expected (I'm just starting September). I'm not even being optimal since I only just started Chihaya.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Spiffster posted:

Beat the game finally last night (work has been sapping my strength and time so I’ve been slow going). Spent some time getting my fused Izanagi-no-Okami with the proper skills.

Repel Bless
Repel Curse
Magic Ability
Almighty Boost
Almighty Amp
Victory Cry
Concentrate
Myriad Truth

Didn’t max out the stats because I ran out of time but in the third semester final boss fight Joker never dipped below half HP. Had the team effectively build walls, buff him and debilitate the enemy for maximum effect and it cut through the final boss like tissue paper.

Worried about the The twins and Lavenza fights though because I never did those in vanilla and heard it’s much harder this time.

The first New Game plus boss is still pretty easy in all honesty. With a nonsense DLC persona you probably won't have that much difficulty, heck it is quite possible to solo the first new game plus boss at fairly low levels if you have the right personas. Now the P5R exclusive new game plus boss is difficult as hell, I had to ask advice earlier in the thread about it. However even it is doable, but you will NOT be able to solo it, and it will require you to plan out your turns fairly hardcore. And even if you do everything right there is a luck component. Just a heads up there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The Twins was a pretty fun fight in base P5, from what I remember of it. I still found the equivalent fight in P4G better though.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I've been thinking about how easy it would be to max each game, and I actually think P5 does something really smart. Giving you a Guts 4 lock in the very first month gives you clear motivation to not just put off raising your stats, because the other stat locks are so far down the road. Imagine getting to Haru and not having been dilligently doing stat-raising and just only doing social links. 4 had something similar with the constant Courage dialogue checks, but I can't even remember what the social link locks are for max Knowledge for example - Understanding and Kindness were the Dojimas, I know, but the rest is a blur. P3 sidesteps this problem almost entirely just by giving you so few things to do at night other than raise stats.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You need max knowledge (and max courage) for Naoto and level 3 knowledge for Margaret, and Understanding is exclusively for Shu.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Hellioning posted:

You need max knowledge (and max courage) for Naoto and level 3 knowledge for Margaret, and Understanding is exclusively for Shu.

Understanding is also required for the most important check of all, the beef bowl challenge.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

ApplesandOranges posted:

The issue I keep having is that if you take away the romance option, the Justice link is actually pretty decent. It's about a kid who's in a hurry to grow and catch up and trying to force himself to be more mature despite enjoying some childish things. They just had to include... that.

Isn't Hermit is like one/two years younger than the protagonist?

Also Temperance is the best romance option and if you disagree you're wrong :colbert:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

SweetBro posted:

Isn't Hermit is like one/two years younger than the protagonist?

Yeah Futaba is one year younger than Joker, but people have been super weird about how it's "creepy"

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
The age difference is personally completely irrelevant since yeah, it's literally just one year.

I still think it's a bit uncomfortable, but that's more because Futaba just got out of a majorly depressive state effectively with the help of some form of brainwashing, which no matter how you slice it doesn't feel like it's the best time to initiate a romance with someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah the age difference never bothered me, it's the equivalent of an 8th grader/9th grader romance which, whatever. The reasons the Hermit romance skeeve me out are that the game codes Futaba pretty heavily as Joker's younger sister in a familial relationship between her, Joker, and Sojiro, and that Futaba's confidant/story scenes after her palace make it clear she's reliant upon Joker as an emotional crutch. Joker taking that relationship and turning it into something romantic is, personally, disgusting to me.

That said it's a loving anime game where you can date your teacher who's also your personal french maid who shows up to your house to give you massages, so hey, do whatever you want. :v: