Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Safety Biscuits posted:

Unless I'm missing something, they're all meant to be. The bit about council lords on the White House lawn is from a Lin Carter book, iirc, and he's not anyone you'd hold up as a good writer.

I mean the bits from Tolkien and whoever the other writers were, who she holds up as master stylists. Personally, I wouldn’t say Tolkein’s style was his strongest point. He certainly did not “slide into metrical poetry, as in the Tom Bombadil episode, without the careless readers even noticing” - I think we can say for sure that everyone noticed the Tom Bombadil section!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

(*maybe three if you count Susannah Clarke, who's the only fantasy author I'm aware of who's ever pulled off the trick of writing in a consistent historical-period voice. Even Tolkien shifts about ; Hobbiton is in the 18th century, Rohan the 6th, Gondor the 1st).

Yeah, Clarke is so good. I finished re-reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell a week or so ago and now I'm reading The Ladies of Grace Adieu. I picked up a more typical fantasy book recently called "Cold Iron" and every so often I have to switch back to Grace Adieu to remember what someone who really understands prose writes like.

Clarke totally mastered making her "magic system" for Strange and Norrell both mysterious and comprehensible. We understand that magic is something that can be studied and appears to have rules, and her characters run through some of the logic of their spells as they do them, but its all just vague enough and with the intimation that there are far greater depths than they have begun to stumble upon.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

I'm aware of a grand total of two authors of historical fiction* who have ever managed to write

1) characters that were sympathetic to a modern reader, while also

2) being believable inhabitants of their own historical eras.

Those two are Mary Renault and Patrick O'Brian, respectively. Not coincidentally, both of them had invested decades of research into their respective subject areas before they set pen to paper to write fiction.

Bernard Cornwell manages to fake #2 well enough that it doesn't actively annoy me, but he does it by just writing his characters as rather unintelligent creatures of pure id, so questions like "what does Sharpe think of slavery?" just never come up.

Pretty much every other successful "historical fiction" writer just puts modern characters in period costumes. Martin doesn't even really do that; he just writes whatever will make his readers wince the hardest.

(*maybe three if you count Susannah Clarke, who's the only fantasy author I'm aware of who's ever pulled off the trick of writing in a consistent historical-period voice. Even Tolkien shifts about ; Hobbiton is in the 18th century, Rohan the 6th, Gondor the 1st).

I agree it's rare to see both combined, but perhaps Cadfael (Ellis Peters) is another exception?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

So was John Norman an irl sex pest or did he just write volumes and volumes of shameful, cringey, problematic kink?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

So was John Norman an irl sex pest or did he just write volumes and volumes of shameful, cringey, problematic kink?

I can't say I've ever seen any stories about Norman behaving badly in real life. In fact, everything I heard about him suggests he was rather confused by the idea of people trying to do Gorean-style kink in the real world (or Second Life, or wherever).

This interview of Norman by Charlie Jane Anders is pretty interesting:

quote:

I know nothing about "real-life Gorean slavery among some people in the BDSM community." The "BDSM" reference worries me. I dissociate myself from BDSM, at least as I understand it. I may, of course, misunderstand it. I wonder if one would settle merely for "real-life Gorean slavery," because, as I understand it, BDSM is not Gorean. If something is not beautiful, it is not Gorean.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

(Even Tolkien shifts about ; Hobbiton is in the 18th century, Rohan the 6th, Gondor the 1st).

Small point, but I think Tolkien did this on purpose as he specifically chose a specific real-world translation for each language/culture he created. If anything it's an example of an author writing in multiple historical-period voices simultaneously.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Mirror Empire (Worldbreaker Saga #1) by Kameron Hurley - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IQQUYVK/

Hollywood Dead (Sandman Slim #10) by Richard Kadrey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074SJ3MN9/

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XD75HGV/

Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YFIV5Y/

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I think Norman is still alive, for what it's worth.

Also I read the first handful of Gor books and they start off as serviceable Burroughs pastiche that slowly cranks up the weird sex philosophy stuff.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 18, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I once read an analysis someone wrote of one of the later Gor books...I think maybe book 23? Anyway, the ratio of Plot to Kinky Sex was like 1:10 at that point. :doh:

That said, all I've ever heard of Norman in his regular life is that he's been happily married for decades, so presumably he just used the Gor books as an outlet for his personal sexual demons. That and to get paid, since those books were surprisingly popular for a decade or two. :shrug:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ccs posted:

Yeah, Clarke is so good. I finished re-reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell a week or so ago and now I'm reading The Ladies of Grace Adieu.

If you've not seen it, the BBC did a 7 part adaptation of it that's pretty good. Takes a couple of episodes to get going but I really enjoyed it.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

quantumfoam posted:

No. The funniest thing about John Norman is the "Gorean subculture" wikipedia page which I'm not linking to because it contains NSFW images.
Everything in it is deadly serious and that just adds to the hilarity.

Science Fiction Fantasy Megathread 3: Have you read GOR?....DON'T read GOR

I knew some goths back in the 90s who had a gorean relationship.

It wasn't till years later I thought about it. Vomit.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

branedotorg posted:

I knew some goths back in the 90s who had a gorean relationship.

AKA "GORths".

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Before I throw down money to order Dragonbone Chair, someone answer me this: how is the author's Otherland series as a sample of his writing style/feel? Because I've got book one of that on hand and I've never read it. I'm really in the mood for vanilla fantasy adventure so Dragonbone sounds great, but, well, trying to save money for the steam sale. (Also I bought a Barbara Hambly lot, Black Lamb & Grey Falcon and a book on Napoleon so I've spent my book money this month, aha)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Before I throw down money to order Dragonbone Chair, someone answer me this: how is the author's Otherland series as a sample of his writing style/feel? Because I've got book one of that on hand and I've never read it. I'm really in the mood for vanilla fantasy adventure so Dragonbone sounds great, but, well, trying to save money for the steam sale. (Also I bought a Barbara Hambly lot, Black Lamb & Grey Falcon and a book on Napoleon so I've spent my book money this month, aha)

If you got more vanilla than Tad Williams, you'd be, like, the complete absence of ice cream. Or Dennis McKiernan.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Selachian posted:

If you got more vanilla than Tad Williams, you'd be, like, the complete absence of ice cream. Or Dennis McKiernan.

Not even a vanilla bean. Just a bottle of vanilla extract.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The Gor thing became an SA meme (at least in LF) in like 2007 when someone found some Gorean website audio file that said something like "Welcome... to the world of Gor!" *whipcrack noise*.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

a foolish pianist posted:

The Gor thing became an SA meme (at least in LF) in like 2007 when someone found some Gorean website audio file that said something like "Welcome... to the world of Gor!" *whipcrack noise*.

I can’t think about Gor without thinking of Outlaw of Gor, which had Jack Palance in it and was hysterical when it got the MST3k treatment. Truly a special movie.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The only question I have (and this applies for James E Gunn being a college professor & James E Gunn's KAMPUS too) is:

Did John Frederick Lange Jr the college professor aka John Norman give higher or lower grades to students that quoted Gorean philosophy in term papers?

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 18, 2020

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

a foolish pianist posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/75o61d27clvb0xe/WORLD%20CALLED%20GOR%20%5Bgor-address%5D.wav?dl=0

That was a legendary LF thread.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Selachian posted:

Not even a vanilla bean. Just a bottle of vanilla extract.

I laughed at this, but it doesn't answer my question about Otherland.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

there's literally no affirmative reason to read the MST series so if money is a concern just don't order it. you are missing nothing. otherland is no better or worse than any other tad williams. all water is equally wet

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Walh Hara posted:

I agree it's rare to see both combined, but perhaps Cadfael (Ellis Peters) is another exception?

Possibly but I haven't read them yet, been on my list for a long time. Not even Umberto Eco really manages the "monk detective" thing right though -- William of Baskerville is a little too perfect, you suspend your disbelief.

Ornamented Death posted:

I think Norman is still alive, for what it's worth.

Also I read the first handful of Gor books and they start off as serviceable Burroughs pastiche that slowly cranks up the weird sex philosophy stuff.

Why do the worst copycats always do this kind of poo poo? See also: Terry Goodkind

hannibal posted:

Small point, but I think Tolkien did this on purpose as he specifically chose a specific real-world translation for each language/culture he created. If anything it's an example of an author writing in multiple historical-period voices simultaneously.

Oh absolutely -- he was basically moving back in time through English history -- but if you step back and look at the setting as a whole it can kinda stretch credulity. Stil, though, yeah, Tolkien knew what he was doing, he just wasn't really trying to achieve the thing I'm talking about. His characters aren't modern psychologically realistic individuals, they're archetypes drawn out of sagas, deliberately.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sorry, I got no idea, I've only been able to finish one or two Tad Williams books and they were so generic I don't remember a drat thing about them. Probably great if that's what you want. I'd still say read Prydain if you want that kind of thing though, just better executed all around and with more real flavor.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
What about Flashman?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

If you want a sample of Tad Williams, Otherland is as good a place as any to start. I did find it a bit more innovative than his other work, but that's relatively speaking.

I try not to be too rude about Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, because I have a friend who thinks it's the awesomest fantasy series ever.

My favorite Williams is still his first book, Tailchaser's Song, which is a weird mashup of Tolkien and Watership Down with feral cats instead of rabbits.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I haven't read Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn (though I have the first book and have been "saving" it for when I need a mental break from the world) but it is always kind of surprising to me when I meet someone whose favorite fantasy novels are that, or the Belgariad, or the Riftwar books. I feel like in those cases it's usually at least half nostalgia.

I'd agree that Chronicles of Prydain are great books for a sort of "cozy fantasy" itch, and they are at least a little unique even in the world of fairly generic fantasy, given that they're rooted in Welsh legends and mythology that don't get a ton of play in fantasy novels. Plus one of the main characters is a pig that can tell the future. They'd probably qualify as YA novels if they were written today, but I don't think that's a knock against them per se.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Walh Hara posted:

Cadfael definitely manages it. I've read 15 or so of the books and they're very good. Cadfael is a very interesting character - a former Crusader who took the cloth in his middle age and became a herbalist - so while he's a cloistered monk he also has a broad knowledge of people from having been part of the world. The TV adaptations with Derek Jacobi are well worth watching too.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

there's literally no affirmative reason to read the MST series so if money is a concern just don't order it. you are missing nothing. otherland is no better or worse than any other tad williams. all water is equally wet

That's actually reassuring, thank you. I'm enjoying the little I've read of Otherland so far, and if he's consistent that's good to hear.

Also, lmao at tor.com:

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn is the Natural Successor to Game of Thrones

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Jedit posted:

Cadfael definitely manages it. I've read 15 or so of the books and they're very good. Cadfael is a very interesting character - a former Crusader who took the cloth in his middle age and became a herbalist - so while he's a cloistered monk he also has a broad knowledge of people from having been part of the world. The TV adaptations with Derek Jacobi are well worth watching too.

I just read the first book in that series and I'm a little mixed on it. How is it as an example of the series in general? I liked the setting, I liked Cadfael as a character, but it felt like the pacing of the book was pretty slow (though I guess probably not abnormal for when it was published). I think the problem may be that I went in expecting "normal" mystery novel pacing and was surprised by how long it took for the mystery itself to get going.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's actually reassuring, thank you. I'm enjoying the little I've read of Otherland so far, and if he's consistent that's good to hear.

Also, lmao at tor.com:

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn is the Natural Successor to Game of Thrones

Dear Tor.com,

What if the next prestige fantasy TV series wasn't based on yet another bland, uninspired white guy fantasy novel? I got more than my fill of that with GoT.

Sincerely,
A Bland White Guy

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I don't like how streaming services are going backwards in time from Martin for their adaptions. Wheel of Time, another LotR, another Ghormenghast. I don't want to see any of that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

MockingQuantum posted:

I just read the first book in that series and I'm a little mixed on it. How is it as an example of the series in general? I liked the setting, I liked Cadfael as a character, but it felt like the pacing of the book was pretty slow (though I guess probably not abnormal for when it was published). I think the problem may be that I went in expecting "normal" mystery novel pacing and was surprised by how long it took for the mystery itself to get going.
They're all slow-paced; it comes with basically being a set of cozy mysteries with medieval trappings. Can't say much for the claims of medieval mentality but I find them rather suspect.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 18, 2020

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Collateral posted:

What about Flashman?

Realistic but not sympathetic.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think Otherland is a good sample of his writing style, and particular his pacing. I think the MSaT is neat, but it's quite a journey for the ending you get to. There's good character development and description along the way, but the books are long, and they only follow a couple characters, so in a sense not as much happens.

There's a novel set in between the MSaT, which is a 4 book trilogy, and the next trilogy, and the pacing in that is much more exciting, but if you read that it'll give away quite a bit of the end of MSaT.

I actually bought the first book of the new trilogy, and everytime I go to pick it up I just feel this sense of weight and like I don't want to trudge through it to get to the ending. The Shadowland series is the same, it's just too long.

They are quite vanilla though. I would definitely not buy more than just The Dragonbone Chair if you decide to go forward on this mixed endorsement, and see if you can deal with it, before investing in the other 3 books.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MockingQuantum posted:

One Corpse Too Many is definitely quicker off the mark than A Morbid Taste For Bones, if that's what you want. The first novel is also the most directly historical, having been inspired by the real Prior Robert Pennant's chronicle of the translation of Saint Winifred. Other books in the series use historical events more as a backdrop or a plot catalyst than as a narrative frame.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Dear Tor.com,

What if the next prestige fantasy TV series wasn't based on yet another bland, uninspired white guy fantasy novel? I got more than my fill of that with GoT.

Sincerely,
A Bland White Guy

Give me the TV version of Fifth Season

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Cardiac posted:

Give me the TV version of Fifth Season

Is that going anywhere, or stuck in development hell? Would quite like some more fantasy media that's not yet another drat version of medieval Europe, thanks.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Im looking forward to the Binti adaptation.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Groke posted:

Is that going anywhere, or stuck in development hell? Would quite like some more fantasy media that's not yet another drat version of medieval Europe, thanks.

i was going to ask, it's been like over a year since I heard anything about it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

uber_stoat posted:

i was going to ask, it's been like over a year since I heard anything about it.

The common wisdom is to not get your hopes up until principal photography starts. Books and series are constantly being optioned; you can see how many actually get made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Since I'm in the mood to talk about what I'm reading and I already made a Webnovel post about the stuff that's lowering my standards, here's what I'm reading in physical form:

Illuminae Files Book 1: 164 pages into this and it's surprisingly fun for something that's mostly chat logs. It's a found footage sci-fi YA book about a pair of teenagers caught up in Battlestar Galactica: they lived on an illegal mining colony, then a megacorp bombed it and dropped a virus on it, and the only local government ship evacuated them with two research vessels. The problem is: everyone's warp drive is busted so it'll take months to get to any help, they're still being chased, and there's a virus on board. Oh and there's conspiracy everywhere. One teenager becomes a dogfighter pilot and the other becomes a hacker and they try to get to the bottom of things while dealing with their families being dead.

I think my favorite thing about the found footage style is that it's making me work my brain and imagine what's happening - and it's a lot more vivid and interesting than if they wrote it in a conventional way. I appreciate that, even if I don't want to read everything in that style.

Point of Hopes: Very early into this one but I enjoy a classic mystery in a fantasy setting. Local "pointsman" (he's a cop) is tapped to find out why children are missing. There's also jockeying about putting someone new on the throne and there's a big yearly festival coming up. Dun dun dun. I like the prose, the description of the setting, and I REALLY love how people can be gay and it's mostly okay. The cop's all "did the missing girl have a boyfriend? or a leman? (fancy word for lesbians, I believe)" and yes she did, and there's a sad girlfriend who wants her partner back.

Otherland: The prose is solid, good but not great, and I'm digging the future setting - when's the last time you read a sci-fi book set in Africa? I'm going to chip at this. It being insanely long isn't a bad thing because boy do I need distractions right now.

Hundred Years War: Trial by Battle: Insanely good, insanely dense. My reading goal for this thing is ten pages a day and let me tell you that's an accomplishment with how info-packed it is. Really good writing tho, it's not boring at all.

Black Lamb and Grey Falcon: Fascinating, but frustrating. A book about visiting Yugoslavia right before WWII, written by a British lady. Her history is interesting and the way she makes sweeping generalizations about random European groups based on meeting like 5 of them is hilariously arrogant. The prose is enthralling though, and I'm enjoying giving it some time every evening.

...and some other stuff that's been left on the side as I focus on Illuminae and Trial by Battle primarily. Then whenever my folks watch TV or I play video games I swap to web novels and enjoy how.... I don't have a good adjective. I enjoy them. They are not good. Sometimes the translation is actually good but not really. It really helps make everything else read like it's the best stuff in the entire world by comparison.

e: Added one more because I love it so

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 18, 2020