Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Stereotype posted:

The best you could do is have a bunch of celebrities with masks talking about how important it is to stay at home airing every day.

We had what, twelve days when everyone was taking this very seriously. Then Lloyd Blankfein went on TV and said "the cure can't be worse than the disease" and that was the end of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

or anything else, the decay of institutional and built landscape in just my lifetime is breathtaking. This is a direct result of the push for a government small enough to drown in a bathtub.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

lets see how nebraska is doing

:hmmyes:

Nebraska politics is so easy, you just have to do performative chud poo poo and a bunch of farmers and other chuds will somehow think they have something in common with the rich failson of the owner of the scummiest used-car-salesman financial institution in the US

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i know i shouldn't be surprised by anything any more, but i am actually astonished that the masks have become the boogeyman. it's a piece of cloth over your face. it's barely an inconvenience and it's literally the least you can do to possibly save some lives. but the mask is the point where the chuds lose their loving minds and decide enough is enough.

i guess it's bikeshedding? a lot of people can't actually understand the arguments about social distancing, contact tracing, yada yada but they understand that a liberal who went to college told them to wear a mask so now it's their patriotic duty to refuse it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i know i shouldn't be surprised by anything any more, but i am actually astonished that the masks have become the boogeyman. it's a piece of cloth over your face. it's barely an inconvenience and it's literally the least you can do to possibly save some lives. but the mask is the point where the chuds lose their loving minds and decide enough is enough.

i guess it's bikeshedding? a lot of people can't actually understand the arguments about social distancing, contact tracing, yada yada but they understand that a liberal who went to college told them to wear a mask so now it's their patriotic duty to refuse it
No, it's not that masks are the only part they understand and they're just ignoring the rest; they believe that everything else about coronavirus is a liberal hoax as well. Masks are just the most convenient opportunity for them to display their feelings about the matter.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

coronavirus is going to save us a bunch of time when we finally get to line these fucks up against the wall

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
the mask poo poo is idiot chud symbolic rebellion

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I feel like I should apply for one of the leadership spots that has come up but I also don’t want to because I feel like I shouldn’t be anyone’s leader

but at the same time it feels both wrong and dangerous to continue as-is

:smith:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

but at the same time it feels both wrong and dangerous to continue as-is

:smith:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the mask is the government telling you to do something for someone else's benefit and this is unamerican

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
you always knew it was going to end up this way because americans are dumb, oafish, selfish, shitbags who have never had to deal with a collective crisis

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
wow have you forgotten about the cola wars?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I've been saying for the past few weeks "this is just the end of the beginning" and it seems I was right. 120k deaths wasn't enough for people, we're gonna go the Herd Immunity route, which is more like 2M deaths. The number of Americans who die this year will be double that of last year. I assume there are going to be some knock on effects to that as well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cheaper houses, i hope.

that or full on mad max. i could go either way.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Sagebrush posted:

cheaper houses, i hope.

mad re/max

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Sagebrush posted:

cheaper houses, i hope.

the number of white boomer property owners who die will be minuscule compared to poor renters sadly

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

massachusetts has been doing pretty well. numbers going down, phased reopening stuff, people still wearing masks. hell, i'm getting a goddamn haircut next week!

but i've got this real deep, pessimistic feeling that the stupidity and selfishness is going to seep in eventually and even here it'll all go to hell again by august or september.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
oh beep

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

cheaper houses, i hope.

fingats crossed that squatters' rights don't get curtailed federally

that's should be fun if it don't

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Century 21 indeed.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SO DEMANDING posted:

massachusetts has been doing pretty well. numbers going down, phased reopening stuff, people still wearing masks. hell, i'm getting a goddamn haircut next week!

but i've got this real deep, pessimistic feeling that the stupidity and selfishness is going to seep in eventually and even here it'll all go to hell again by august or september.

yeah, you’re right. when numbers go down that’s when you have to buckle down for another three weeks, not reopen.

the hysteresis on a pandemic seems real bad

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Captain Foo posted:

yeah, you’re right. when numbers go down that’s when you have to buckle down for another three weeks, not reopen.

certainly this one in particular where it can take up to 2 weeks to see symptoms (if at all) while still being contagious

Apr 7, 2003

The potential two weeks of asymptomatic possible spread is the real killer, Americans just do not have the attention span or respect for others necessary to not go to the beach or Applebee's for that long if they don't feel sick.

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

wfh 2/3 meetings cancelled today hell yeah. gonna watch last of us on twitch because i dont have a sorny gamerstation

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my company does summer hours so I’m off already :toot:

Froshty
Dec 8, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

my company does summer hours so I’m off already :toot:

Do you work in Education IT? That's the only place I've heard of having summer hours, in the US.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
that sounds like your-oop to me :911:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Froshty posted:

Do you work in Education IT? That's the only place I've heard of having summer hours, in the US.

no, I work for a German company though so that’s probably why.

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

lol it sucks so much to live in a medieval peasant society

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
One of my favorite big company things is that once you have enough people there will always be some amount that are taking time off. You would think that teams would plan around this, but no. So-and-so isn’t in this week and what’s-their-name is out the next week so I guess we’ll get around to this in a few weeks.

Oh, well, it’s summer. A lot of people are taking time off while the weather is nice, so things might be a little slow.

Oh, well, it’s fall. A lot of people are taking time off before it gets too cold, so things might be a little slow.

Oh, well, it’s winter. A lot of people are taking time off to visit family, so things might be a little slow.

Oh, well, it’s spring. A lot of people are taking time off to go on spring break, so things might be a little slow.

Not that I’m complaining about working at a place that encourages time off. Just maybe plan for it a bit.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tk posted:

Not that I’m complaining about working at a place that encourages time off. Just maybe plan for it a bit.
I've still never worked anywhere that didn't assume november/december would be just as productive as the rest of the year in their planning process which typically led to everyone inevitably getting their asses kicked just before thankgiving and after new years

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

aaaand gov baker announced restaurants can start indoor dining on monday

gently caress that

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

tk posted:

One of my favorite big company things is that once you have enough people there will always be some amount that are taking time off. You would think that teams would plan around this, but no. So-and-so isn’t in this week and what’s-their-name is out the next week so I guess we’ll get around to this in a few weeks.

Oh, well, it’s summer. A lot of people are taking time off while the weather is nice, so things might be a little slow.

Oh, well, it’s fall. A lot of people are taking time off before it gets too cold, so things might be a little slow.

Oh, well, it’s winter. A lot of people are taking time off to visit family, so things might be a little slow.

Oh, well, it’s spring. A lot of people are taking time off to go on spring break, so things might be a little slow.

It's just an excuse. Everyone overpromises and then when things go wrong an easy scapegoat is "well we are just short staffed because of vacations." It's the same as call centers that play the "We are experiencing higher than normal call volume" all the time; they are lying because they would rather have you lower your expectations than actually fix the problem.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

SO DEMANDING posted:

gently caress that

oh god dammit

we had a chance, a slim one but a chance, to not make the colossal mistakes the south are making but then welp

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SO DEMANDING posted:

gently caress that

yeah we died, rip

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it’s amazing how poorly this is being handled

our entire government and institutions are frauds

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

they really are, and anyone who isn’t gets pounded down like a nail that’s sticking up

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

and I’m not even talking by the political establishment—the public is so well trained that they do the dirty work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

President Beep posted:

and I’m not even talking by the political establishment—the public is so well trained that they do the dirty work

I've written this year off completely for public activities. Not like I don't have all the entertainment I could ever want and bike trails that are open now that Applebee's is seating people again anyway.

To be completely honest, I'm better off without all of that stuff anyway.