Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Symetrique posted:

The Warthog isn't that great of a recommendation anymore. It's a seriously outdated product with a premium price. VKB and Virpil are both much better alternatives.

Okay yeah, if you have money to burn on this hobby then the spec manufacturers are the place to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Found a Reddit post comparing the Thrustmaster T-Flight X (older model) to the 4 (newer model).

https://www.reddit.com/r/hotas/comments/47oe50/has_anyone_tried_the_tflight_hotas_4_any/?utm_source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body

It looks like the biggest improvement is the stick dead-zones.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'll be using the same joystick I used in 1997 to play this. It's only right. MS Sidewinder Precision Pro will never die.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

I’m looking at the T-Flight in Amazon and there’s an $80 “for PC and PS4” model and a $58 “for PC and PS3” model. I assume the cheaper one is the older model, but it’s also rated higher than the new one and has 10x as many reviews. Is there an appreciable difference between the two, and is it worth spending the extra $25 for the newer model?

It is, in fact, just a reskin - it was re-issued for Ace Combat 7 and branded as such. The cheaper one is basically the same stick (though uglier, I hate orange personally).

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

This is a woman actor who was dubbed. Old EU claims Horton Salm was in Rotj without a mustache but that’s a different Y-wing pilot/actor. Also I think some variant of this shot was my avatar onTFN.

Really can’t wait to try out those y-wings..

This pilot was a woman too? I only knew the A-Wing pilot who rammed the SSD at the end of RotJ was a dubbed-over woman.

Lobok posted:

I know they confirmed no third-person view, which I'm okay with, but what about a HUD-only view with no cockpit?

It seems like cockpit field of vision is a balancing factor so probably not. There would be no advantage to playing with the cockpit on if you could play HUD only anyway and the geeky Star Wars pilot fantasy is a big part of this game’s draw.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I have the T1600m stock and throttle and really good

Found a pretty good hype vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkpZU6imHAo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

George H.W. oval office posted:

I'll be using the same joystick I used in 1995 to play this. It's only right. MS Sidewinder 3D Pro will never die.

e: come to think of it the Sidewinder 3D Pro was a slight pain in the rear end with Tie Fighter because IIRC it needed a patch or some extra work to make sure it would calibrate correctly

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If people are looking for basic joysticks and don't want to spend a lot to get started I'd highly recommend the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro it's a really good basic stick and I used one for over a decade before upgrading to a VKB.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Popete posted:

If people are looking for basic joysticks and don't want to spend a lot to get started I'd highly recommend the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro it's a really good basic stick and I used one for over a decade before upgrading to a VKB.

Yeah, I found one of these in a thrift store for $5. Works perfectly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Chillgamesh posted:

It seems like cockpit field of vision is a balancing factor so probably not. There would be no advantage to playing with the cockpit on if you could play HUD only anyway and the geeky Star Wars pilot fantasy is a big part of this game’s draw.

But not even in single-player? Doesn't seem all that different from other competitive games with real cars or planes that also have geeky appeal. Ace Combat 7 has HUD-only and 3rd-person you can use in MP. Might not be a deal breaker but I don't think I've ever used cockpit view when other views were available so that's the only thing so far tempering my hype.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Joysticks? Sure, I had to use one for XvT and XvA but I would've preffered to use a mouse if I could, just like I did in Freespace. (I hear the original X-Wing actually did support a mouse, no idea why the followup games didn't)

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
The cockpit itself and the visibility to the outside is a huge balancing factor.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Some more info, here is a graphic on the current known play zones

GameInformer has some info that says there will be no microtransactions/battle passes/games a service AS OF NOW

quote:

Are There Microtransactions?
Although you are earning two currency types that can be used to purchase goods as you play, you cannot spend real money on any items or to buy more currency. The game also doesn’t have a battle pass system, and as of now, Motive Studios isn’t looking at Squadrons as a living game. All of the planned content is in the game on day one.

https://www.gameinformer.com/ea-play/2020/06/18/everything-you-need-to-know-about-star-wars-squadrons

The Databank has some Squadrons related info:

https://www.starwars.com/databank/titan-squadron

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 19, 2020

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Kinda sucks that it’s a one and done if that’s to be believed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's entirely credible that EA have been burned enough times on making promises they can't keep

e: also super loving dumb of them to keep on promising free content/season pass content into the release cycle of their own competing next game

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 19, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

my guess is the campaign will be decent call of dutyish length(8 to 10) with repeatability, and they are focusing on multiplayer replayability. but yeah, they are probably waiting to see if the game takes off and starts making bank before putting more money behind it. my hope is it becomes the next big multiplayer game or at least pretty popular.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
One of the biggest scourges on gaming is this idea that if there isn't a patch or update on the horizon, a game no longer has value. Adding more stuff to the game into the future is great! But it shouldn't be expected for every single product.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

I think its nice to not immediately have to worry about MTX or a battle pass. I'm sure if the game is popular it will receive support. This game was apparently pitched as a labor of love by the dev team, it wasn't something EA made people develop. Makes sense they don't have big commercial plans for it.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

jivjov posted:

One of the biggest scourges on gaming is this idea that if there isn't a patch or update on the horizon, a game no longer has value. Adding more stuff to the game into the future is great! But it shouldn't be expected for every single product.
I agree, but I imagine a lot of prospective players are hoping for more single player content. I mean, even the old games had expansion packs that ended up being pretty quintessential. If Squadrons' single player campaigns will be a little on the short side (which is a reasonable assumption), it'd be real nice to have some promise of more missions being released after the game's launch. Still, if this ends up selling well, I'd be surprised if they didn't decide to make some proper DLC.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
GALACTIC CONQUEST

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Space sims are still super niche, this is dipping a toe into the water to see if there's a market. If people buy then we'll get future games.

e: \/\/ oh yeah, you need terrain in your space sim otherwise it's just a fish tank.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 19, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jerkface posted:

Some more info, here is a graphic on the current known play zones

Interesting that for at least 4 of 6 debris is a key feature. Keeps capital ships in certain areas of the map and like a terrestrial flight sim it has that element of danger in a dogfight where you need to be mindful of your surroundings. Can't just be chasing radar blips on your screen.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Huh.

Not a Star Wars fan, but I played Tie Fighter ages ago and remember being startled how good it was. Definitely keeping an eye on this.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i hope they add the other 2 trilogies to this game. Hopin for at least 30 ships total by the time its all said and done. I realize that this is a pipe dream tho

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Just OT era is fine, but sure Clone Wars would be fun to have if you're making a dream list.

Really no value in adding the sequel trilogy though lol.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Add a proper trench run and trench run 2.0 you cowards.

The dream is the entire battle of endor.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the last mission on XWA always crashed on my gateway 2000 right after I blew up the reactor core. I played that mission a hundred times trying to get the final cutscene
years later I went and watched it on youtube

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Chomp8645 posted:

Just OT era is fine, but sure Clone Wars would be fun to have if you're making a dream list.

Really no value in adding the sequel trilogy though lol.

Fuckin' seriously, it's an absolute crime the best the sequel trilogy could come up with is "Fighters that look very slightly different from the originals." Meanwhile I'd kill for an ARC-170 or a Naboo Starfighter, those things were rad as hell.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

thinkin really hard about getting battlefront 2 because I want to star war

The game is "half off" on Steam right now but it's the bullshit version that's padded with a billion cosmetics, how often does the actual game go on sale? And is the playerbase currently a healthy size or nah?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Fuckin' seriously, it's an absolute crime the best the sequel trilogy could come up with is "Fighters that look very slightly different from the originals." Meanwhile I'd kill for an ARC-170 or a Naboo Starfighter, those things were rad as hell.

ARCs and LAATs loving rock. I like V-Wings a lot too. The Droid fighters aren't super exciting though imo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There are many, many things that are wrong the with Prequels.

The production design is not one of them. drat near every single design and sound effect is a home run in the prequels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK7DRK2qMEQ

The most beautiful sounding gunship ever made.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah the more I think about this the more I get pissed off at the staggering dearth of imagination when it came to the sequels' aesthetics. Even if you really, really wanted Rebels vs. Empire 2.0, at the absolute least maybe you could come up with something more exciting than literally TIE Fighters again, but this time with the paintjob inverted.

I did like the First Order Star Destroyers though -- they seemed like a logical evolution of the OT-era warships like how the F-15 design evolved into the F-22. And then for the ultimate final battle JJ just farted out "uh, they're literally just Imperial IIs again, but this time with a big tube welded on the bottom" :effort:

EDIT: yeah the prequel spaceship designs own hard. I love how the Republic ships gradually got more and more Imperial-looking.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah the more I think about this the more I get pissed off at the staggering dearth of imagination when it came to the sequels' aesthetics. Even if you really, really wanted Rebels vs. Empire 2.0, at the absolute least maybe you could come up with something more exciting than literally TIE Fighters again, but this time with the paintjob inverted.

I did like the First Order Star Destroyers though -- they seemed like a logical evolution of the OT-era warships like how the F-15 design evolved into the F-22. And then for the ultimate final battle JJ just farted out "uh, they're literally just Imperial IIs again, but this time with a big tube welded on the bottom" :effort:

EDIT: yeah the prequel spaceship designs own hard. I love how the Republic ships gradually got more and more Imperial-looking.

yeah, i get it. if were are going in universe and what writers/artists, the new republic/resistance stuff looks alright if overly utilitarian especially the resistance, since they are basically using 30 plus year old tech and random civilian ships. the first order are basically weird nostalgic nazis. make the tiger tank but this time its bigger, make the tie fighters better and give them hyperdrive.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chillgamesh posted:

thinkin really hard about getting battlefront 2 because I want to star war

The game is "half off" on Steam right now but it's the bullshit version that's padded with a billion cosmetics, how often does the actual game go on sale? And is the playerbase currently a healthy size or nah?

ARCs and LAATs loving rock. I like V-Wings a lot too. The Droid fighters aren't super exciting though imo.

Prett sure the Celebration Edition is just how the game is sold now.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I want a cloud car bespin level. v wing airspeeders (canon?) vs cloud cars. why do I still have all this star wars lore in my head

edit; I guess if the old XWA ships are showing up in some of the concept art, (like the skipray blastboat?) they'll reintroduce ships from the old EU that haven't shown up again after disney buyout happened? does that make sense

haven't really kept up with star wars but I love spaceship games

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 19, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sekenr posted:

I already have my hotas + VR nerd equipment, so I can think of very little reasons that would stop me from buying this.

Is this the short bus of star wars?

Imagine if you will, that you had a Millennium Falcon, but were driving from the center instead of from way off to the side of its center of mass. And then you had two turrets in addition to the main forward-mounted guns so that if you wanted to you could just focus on evasion and giving your gunners an angle to focus their fire.

I guess if you're just doing a game where you're out in the void of space and don't have to avoid scraping the ground or hitting a wall, it's fine to stick your cockpit in a weird position, but that shot of flying a U-Wing where you're over to the side instead of centered was still disconcerting to me.

Personally I prefer 3rd person perspectives like in Rogue Squadron, but those games aren't as legendary as the original Tie Fighter was at the height of the popularity of spaceship games. Somewhere in a closet there's the Rogue Squadron series collection remake that they were making for the Wii, and it's never going to see the light of day.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

A MIRACLE posted:

I want a cloud car bespin level. v wing airspeeders (canon?) vs cloud cars. why do I still have all this star wars lore in my head

Battlefront the first/third had something close. On the Bespin level for Fighter Squadron both sides could choose a cloud car instead of their team's usual fighters if they wanted. Appropriately, almost nobody ever did because the cloud car was an enormous piece of poo poo and basically a death trap.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

They mentioned in an interview the campaign starts "after the destruction of alderan" for the prologue, then jumps forward to after endor, which gives me a sneaking suspicion the games campaign may open with the original death star battle, but who knows.

I'd love to see one of these 'fleet battle' type modes at the death star, with the imperial side having to hold off the rebels for 10 minutes or whatever for it to get in range, and the rebels having to try and blow it up before the time limit is reached.

I mean, in an ideal world I'd love to see the game get a ton of post release support, pre/sequel trilogy settings and ships, expanded single player campaigns, a million playable ships, etc, but if the "monkey's paw" of a genuine new X-Wing game being made is "eh, its kinda short and light on content" gently caress. I'll take it. If thats the only downside we got off lucky.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 19, 2020

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

There are many, many things that are wrong the with Prequels.

The production design is not one of them. drat near every single design and sound effect is a home run in the prequels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK7DRK2qMEQ

The most beautiful sounding gunship ever made.

The republic gunships mini death star turrets are dumb bullshit and the worst type of fan service

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SlothfulCobra posted:

Imagine if you will, that you had a Millennium Falcon, but were driving from the center instead of from way off to the side of its center of mass. And then you had two turrets in addition to the main forward-mounted guns so that if you wanted to you could just focus on evasion and giving your gunners an angle to focus their fire.

I guess if you're just doing a game where you're out in the void of space and don't have to avoid scraping the ground or hitting a wall, it's fine to stick your cockpit in a weird position, but that shot of flying a U-Wing where you're over to the side instead of centered was still disconcerting to me
In XWA (where you can fly the Falcon), if you were in cockpit mode then you were placed along the ship’s centerline, not actually off to the right like you should have been. You didn’t have to worry about being off-center and hitting stuff on your left.

Essentially, when in cockpit mode it was like being in an FPS - you were a floating invisible point in space with a HUD. Even though XWA let you look around the cockpit, everything around you had no mass or collision physics, like the player’s visible body in an FPS.

The U-wing being “off center” is a byproduct of the cockpit seating two people side by side. Real life cars are the same way, but most cars intuitively handle as if you’re driving from the “middle” of the cabin unless it’s exceptionally wide.
Granted real life cars can’t do barrel rolls, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the game “cheats” and has the view appear to pivot around the player’s centered POV rather than the actual nose of the ship.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

This looks cool but just please have a proper campaign pleaaaase.