Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i never expected warframe 'partners' or whatever to just be positive about everything all the time but there were definitely a few that pretty much delighted in being a festering sore for whatever personal reason or another and i'll be glad if this decision on de's part dunks them in some rubbing alcohol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Screaming Idiot posted:

all of that is largely optional and there's always something neat to try out.

This isn't true for everyone. A lot of people don't have more content, or the content left sucks. If making rent is reliant on you having daily hot takes on Warframe then you don't get to take a break and therefore wind up smashing your face into the bad parts 18 hours a day seven days a week. Their new goal (judging by rivens and Protea) seems to be to start lovely and buff, which is arguably a more positive player experience overall but makes anyone who does that content at the beginning hate you.

I don't know what they're aiming for with their new policies. If it's booting the horrible people who go on a tear about how chat bans for spamming trap are the greatest injustice, good. gently caress 'em. Given some of the comments from DE lately I wonder if the level of community discourse they have is just too much for the size of the game now.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mailer posted:

If making rent is reliant on you having daily hot takes on Warframe then you don't get to take a break and therefore wind up smashing your face into the bad parts 18 hours a day seven days a week.

ordis://sarcasticsfx/worldstiniestshawzin.wav

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Having turbo ground Protea and cried over my dead primary rattleguts riven, I don't mind the new approach, the patching for Protea is quick and capable, and the changes make sense. (And I honestly like her 4 as it is right now.) I'm a bit worried for riven dispo given that the last update was about a century ago, but I'm confident that they'll at least try, so long as they remember.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Its so delicious all the creators that threatened to quit the program after scarlet spear and DE said "don't quit you're fired".

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I got the NW lander last night. I tried the lander support charge thing and Nora makes a comment rather than ordis. It also does nothing.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

smallmouth posted:

I tried the lander support charge thing and Nora makes a comment rather than ordis. It also does nothing.
Tied for first place then

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Tied for first place then

lol

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I made the mistake of reading that WF forum thread. People really do play a game they hate made by people they think are untrustworthy and stupid over there, huh?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Well, people do play blizzard games all the time, so, yes, that's not surprising.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I built Ivara Prime and Atlas Prime, can't wait to punch the poo poo out of things when I get off of work later.

The Reaper Prime is an amazing stat stick for Khora, will it be OK for Atlas as well?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Sure. You can use literally any weapon as a statstick, the weapon itself has no bearing on Landslide/Whipclaw. I use a Dragon Nikana as my statstick because I have a really nice riven for it. The mods you put on it and any weird innates that carry over (e.g. Venka Prime/Xoris combo fuckery, Mire's toxin thing) are the only thing that matters. Some weapons (Heat Sword, Jaw Sword, Dual Cleavers) have special syndicate mods and/or high riven dispositions that make them extra appealing as statsticks.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Soothing Vapors posted:

Sure. You can use literally any weapon as a statstick, the weapon itself has no bearing on Landslide/Whipclaw. I use a Dragon Nikana as my statstick because I have a really nice riven for it. The mods you put on it and any weird innates that carry over (e.g. Venka Prime/Xoris combo fuckery, Mire's toxin thing) are the only thing that matters. Some weapons (Heat Sword, Jaw Sword, Dual Cleavers) have special syndicate mods and/or high riven dispositions that make them extra appealing as statsticks.

What about amalgam mods... particularly the nikana life steal one?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

gaj70 posted:

What about amalgam mods... particularly the nikana life steal one?

It really doesn't matter as much but if you want to really min/max you don't use amalgam mods, since it's like a difference of 5/10%. Also the nikana lifesteal one goes on the daikyu and won't affect your abilities

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Whipclaw is an actual weapon that's hidden by the game. It inherits mods but it wouldn't inherit the state of a Nikana being a Nikana, so the Daikyu amalgam mod won't work.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

gnoma posted:

Whipclaw is an actual weapon that's hidden by the game. It inherits mods but it wouldn't inherit the state of a Nikana being a Nikana, so the Daikyu amalgam mod won't work.

That is great to know!

Soothing Vapors posted:

I was using the Dual Cleavers before, I will so some testing when I get out of work later to see what does more damage. Thank you for the info!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I would have never known other than by using it, but a gun on a sentinel will act as a primary and trigger arcane blade charger.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

smallmouth posted:

I would have never known other than by using it, but a gun on a sentinel will act as a primary and trigger arcane blade charger.

Most sentinel weapons are primaries, though the Burst Laser takes secondary mods and Deconstructor is melee. I wonder if they'll count as secondary/melee for the relevant arcanes.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I used most of this double-xp nonweekend to grind my Engineering from 6 to 10 and it's hilarious how much more fun Railjack is now. gently caress leaving the cockpit for any reason

smallmouth posted:

:eyepop:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

OK, but how often does the sentinel actually kill an enemy

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Dethcube is pretty effective. I have a fully kitted vulcax too and it just melts people.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

In what? Regular starchart missions?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Sub sortie relic missions ya, you can definitely make that happen. Deconstructor p can kill so efficiently that it gets in the way of my 'kill x amount of mans with y element' nw, especially if I'm using guns. That is a melee though, the other sentinel weapons don't dish out as much wrath but they can still slowly wipe the floor with most enemies in most relic missions. Of course this requires a little bit of investment when you're usually going to spend that forma and endo elsewhere.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Wow in the last page I've learned that people actually change their loadout for fishing and equip a weapon on their sentinels..

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
So something I see repeated online a lot is that in early-mid content crit is good but when you get to high level content status is better, at least generally. What's the logic here, does armour start negating the crit damage and you want armour stripping stuff, CC etc?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

el dingo posted:

So something I see repeated online a lot is that in early-mid content crit is good but when you get to high level content status is better, at least generally. What's the logic here, does armour start negating the crit damage and you want armour stripping stuff, CC etc?

Nope. Crit is the best at all stages of the game. Status is workable for condition-overload melee weapons and some shotguns, but crit is what wins fights against higher level foes.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Well the really early weapons generally don't have crit stats worth using

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

slow_twitch posted:

Wow in the last page I've learned that people actually change their loadout for fishing and equip a weapon on their sentinels..

I used to not, but then tried it for the hell of it and dps is dps. Turns out you can activate arcanes with them too.

My favorite is when someone melees me and gets frozen by frost’s passive and then dethcube takes their head off.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 19, 2020

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I normally have Deconstructor built for maximum flight speed, rebounds, and status % with Radiation/Viral, to constantly surround myself with projectiles that proc useful effects on enemies, but recently I've been trying out the Helstrum rockets instead. The range is way way smaller, and they're mostly single-target, but when built for multishot and status it can easily rack up 15+ status effects in a single volley.

Neither is built for damage, but Decon sometimes gets kills because there's something weird about it that makes it get high-damage headshots.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
re: energy management and crutches.
this thread is a bit too fast so can't find wheres the post to quote it. Thanks on the inputs, yeah I use protea same way but with different build. Also thanks on reminding that dethcube prime energy regen exists. But this was a tongue in cheek post tbqh because...rage is still a crutch. No warframe should be designed to be independent by itself. Warframe is a coop game. Yes there are ways to solo use any frame in any way one could like and personally (in the measly fifteen hundred hours I've spent ingame) I didn't find a frame that can't do what I want where I want. Formas, mods, energy/health/ammo packs, all the stuff in game is legit to use. The game has come a very long way since I first saw it back in 2014 on ps4. drat I was scared I'll have to buy bullets after first mission!
There is no need to hate on a frame that was designed to be a caster that needs a 'crutch' in form of teamwork with an ev trin or consumables. Some are more suited for some types of gameplay, some are more suited for others. Every frame is perfect in its own way and there are no exclusions. What there totally is present are some balancing issues but DE are trying different approaches like in case with protea rn. They rolled out a safe bet 'underwhelming' variant and will keep buffing her until she will be in her place. Hell I daily protea rn and she's totally fine with anything game throws at me same way as booben, by tactically spamming her 1 and 2. I even managed to outDPS a mesa on a defence. She shines best at it.
So all this said, vauban is perfectly okay without having an 'energy generator' like any other frame that is without it. You have energy pads and they are totally okay to use and easy to craft in midgame onwards with as little effort as doing literally any meaningful gameplay and not hugging loving hydron pad.
Minmax all you want and play as you like, don't stick to some self-handicapping if you enjoy loving up the whole map with vortexes (vorticii, whatever) or any other ability. Play as you like, game has everything to enable any kind of edge cases of minmaxing. Be a nuker trin, be a support hildryn, a CC mag, be anything you want. Every crutch is perfectly okay to use if it makes you have fun - that's my message

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
when people talk about "crutches" what they usually mean is "i can't afford / don't want to grind the core components of this build"

there is no reason not to plan on, use, and for that matter balance around the tools you have at hand

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

AntherUslessPoster posted:

:words:
Play as you like, game has everything to enable any kind of edge cases of minmaxing. Be a nuker trin, be a support hildryn, a CC mag, be anything you want. Every crutch is perfectly okay to use if it makes you have fun - that's my message

Beautiful. Brings a literal tear to my eye.
Thank you. You have now inspired me to use that max range/max duration Limbo I've always been keeping in my closet.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Jack Trades posted:

Beautiful. Brings a literal tear to my eye.
Thank you. You have now inspired me to use that max range/max duration Limbo I've always been keeping in my closet.

This take is so 2017 that a corpse of min duration trin woke up in the arsenal

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I still think hydroid is borderline useless, dunno if prime version helps him out. And Inaros is the most boring frame

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hydroid works perfectly fine for most situations and always has. he might not be the most optimal frame out there, but he's fun as gently caress and catching enemies in the riptide to watch them ragdoll off of cliffs never gets old

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
This thread: Railjack loving sucks!
Also this thread: Yeah! DE should boot anyone who said railjack sucks!

Edit:

AntherUslessPoster posted:

No warframe should be designed to be independent by itself. Warframe is a coop game.

Every frame should be designed to work on its own. Thankfully, they all are. There has been one bit of (modern) content locked behind preforms and one bit locked behind a restrictive meta, and neither of these cases should be repeated in the future.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 20, 2020

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

That’s not how that works and you know it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

you're both wrong

warframe's horizontal progression means there's no singular endgame, no one defining test that every frame has to be able to perform towards. this is actually a huge opportunity for a larger, richer design space, and both of your suggestions would stifle that.

there should absolutely be frames that are better solo, that are better in groups, that have specific amazing synergies with one other frame, etc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it's even fine that dolons have a restrictive meta; it creates a best use case niche for those frames

the only thing that's bad is when a frame has no useful niche whatsoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, there's so many options that never make the "oh man, I'm gonna use that frame/gun/dog today for the hell of it" leap for me. But there's plenty of stuff that do, too. Some days you just wanna Javlok or throw out 7+ digit hits with Banshee, y'know?