Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's even fine that dolons have a restrictive meta; it creates a best use case niche for those frames

the only thing that's bad is when a frame has no useful niche whatsoever

I actually really hated the dolon quartet because its sole existence is a response to lovely fight mechanics and cheesing it by reducing how long you need to suffer those mechanics with DPS and frames that bypass it's abilities. I know it's natural for many players to want to make numbers bigger but the shields/synovia were so tough to bring down through standard means volt & chroma were an obvious pick, and then there's the magnetic waves that nobody wants to suffer so obviously harrow/oberon are the go-to and trinity can push 4 to keep the lures alive and provide them with DR. No other frame brings that level of effortless mechanic-negation to the table except for rhino/octavia/mirage to serve as a budget chroma.

Ropalolyst, Exploiter, and Jackal 2.0 are great examples of how all future bossfights should be done, with a big focus on using the environment and gated HP events instead of "I'm not dealing with this bullshit, everyone bring a frame that completely neuters part of the boss's repertoire!" Bring the player, not the frame. Now I'm not arguing that each of these new bosses can't be cheesed (spoilermode lol) but they were definitely designed in such a way that you don't need a strict group composition to succeed.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Jack Trades posted:

Beautiful. Brings a literal tear to my eye.
Thank you. You have now inspired me to use that max range/max duration Limbo I've always been keeping in my closet.

wants to know your location.

Mailer posted:

This thread: Railjack loving sucks!
Also this thread: Yeah! DE should boot anyone who said railjack sucks!

There's a difference between some goons shitposting about how much Railjack sucks -- and it does, it absolutely sucks -- and a neckbearded manchild Warframe Partner Youtuber scream-crying "RAILJACK loving SUCKS AND DE WANTS ALL OF YOUR PRECIOUS SHEKELS I'M GONNA QUIT WARFRAME ALSO MAKE SURE TO LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE FOR MORE PRIMO WARFRAME CONTENT YOU CUCKS."

EDIT: I just realized those lines could easily be from an Ashisogi Tenno video. Christ is he obnoxious.

If there's any good non-obnoxious Warframe channels I'd be down to see them. I really think there's a lack of calm, friendly gamer-types who can both be positive about a game they claim to enjoy while being honest in their criticism. TacticalPotato's pretty good and down to earth, and his near-daily videos are always a bright spot, but I'd really like some more.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's even fine that dolons have a restrictive meta; it creates a best use case niche for those frames

the only thing that's bad is when a frame has no useful niche whatsoever

Chroma needs something. His design's starting to show its age, I think, though I cheerfully admit I could be wrong.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Chroma means you're free of the Index because Profit-taker is now on the table.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Can't use your first mission of the day double credit bonus on three rounds of profit taker though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Ropalolyst, Exploiter, and Jackal 2.0 are great examples of how all future bossfights should be done, with a big focus on using the environment and gated HP events instead of "I'm not dealing with this bullshit, everyone bring a frame that completely neuters part of the boss's repertoire!" Bring the player, not the frame. Now I'm not arguing that each of these new bosses can't be cheesed (spoilermode lol) but they were definitely designed in such a way that you don't need a strict group composition to succeed.

i mostly agree, but with the proviso that none of those fights are challenging in any real sense, they're basically just cinematics hidden under a very superficial layer of interactivity

this is fine for bosses you're only going to fight a couple times ever until you farm the frame whose bits they drop, but not every boss should be like that

what i really want, and would be better than any of those bosses, is something that has the same mastery (and speedrunning) potential as dolons or profit-taker but, like, doesn't suck rear end in various other ways

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 20, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
honestly Profit-Taker is probably the best boss in the game now, after like the third consecutive round of patches where they toned down the knockback and knockdown and homing missiles with invisible blue-white AoE indicators on blue-white snow

the biggest problem with DE's boss designs after invuln phases and removing player agency with CC is that they are terrible at communicating information visually

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

We need a boss that is completely Parkour-based

(new jackal is kind of this I guess but it's too lame)

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I want a Sergeant/John Prodman dual boss battle, and Sergeant just shits mag procs and nullifier grenades while Prodman just fucks you up with his Prova.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

And Tyler Too! posted:

a big focus on using the environment and gated HP events instead of "I'm not dealing with this bullshit, everyone bring a frame that completely neuters part of the boss's repertoire!"

There's not a particularly good overall boss setup currently. Dolons have a strict frame meta for timing, which the night cycle mandates, but you can get better (both ability and gear-wise) at them. The Boss 2.0 bosses allow for the widest possible stretch of overall game progression, but they do that by neutering everyone down to a base level so that you spend the entire fight asleep and wake up periodically for two seconds of shooting. Given we're talking things you potentially fight hundreds of times, it's a choice between being locked into strict play or spending a massive amount of time being bored.

I really don't have a solution for this, either. If you make a fight where you can improve by min/maxing then a meta will form and people will complain about it. I suspect the best we'll get is hardmode with the hope that those who wish to engage in it simply won't care if they need to use X frame or Y weapon so you sidestep the issue entirely.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

BMan posted:

We need a boss that is completely Parkour-based

(new jackal is kind of this I guess but it's too lame)

Can't you just run to keep between the laser walls? And hop a little for the slam. Not much parkour necessary, even without spoiler.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Yeah that's why it's lame

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

For a super early boss that is going to be encountered by mr 0-2 people I think it's a good revamp and I would like more revamps in that style, but I'm also a fan of exploiter so.

Moving around in this game is cool and good so more stuff built with that in mind gets my support.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

el dingo posted:

So something I see repeated online a lot is that in early-mid content crit is good but when you get to high level content status is better, at least generally. What's the logic here, does armour start negating the crit damage and you want armour stripping stuff, CC etc?

Status basically just means Viral, and stacking Viral procs is mathematically the best way of dealing damage in the game. But most of the game's content is relatively weak and crits from meta weapons can have one shot potential for a long time. When you hit the point that your weapon can't one shot enemies, you want Viral procs. But you also still want crits, cause that's more damage.

Saying either is better is kind of pointless, because they aren't mutually exclusive. Ideally you want both, and meta weapons tend to support both. Hybrid is king.

The one caveat is that DE likes to add status immunity to stuff occasionally, so crit is a bit more universal.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

SIGSEGV posted:

Can't use your first mission of the day double credit bonus on three rounds of profit taker though.
That doesn't work on the Index, either.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Eidolons are really fun and somewhat challenging. Next to spy missions, they are the only content that has consequences. But players try to play volt and some weird amp configuration they saw on youtube and do horribly. It take a lot of experience to consistently kill eidolons let alone usr a min-max volt setup and the meta actively ruins the fight. If people would just talk and play what helps them survive, it would be much more satisfying.

Profit taker otoh is terrible and someone best described it as a knockdown simulation. Its perfectly understandable but a pain to actually play. The worse eidolon hunt is more enjoyable than the best profit taker heist.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The thing for me as a newish player about dolons is that, after the red rocket, dolons mainly give me stuff to make me better at doing dolons.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Interrupting mechanics chat to bring a very important PSA:
RailJack MegaPet is alive and well on PS4!

No sleeping on the job!

He ain't exactly tiny on his own, either. Love my big, wet, gross dog.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Malloc Voidstar posted:

That doesn't work on the Index, either.

Weird, I'm pretty sure I got some pretty larger than normal payouts out of index by doing it as the first thing of the day, maybe it only doubles the first round?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's doubled by a credit booster (which might be a daily reward I guess) but not the first-mission bonus.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It has a banner at the end of the mission proclaiming it is, though, time to test.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Let's see, Tenno Science, heading in with 9 668 431 space packing peanuts.

Daily First Win - Bonus Awarded!

Return: 250 000 creds * 2

10 118 431 credits.

Yeah, it doesn't do poo poo.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Good day, Space Goons.

I finally got around to trying this out. A few hours in and it’s pretty fun, but is it worth carrying on at this point or is the game waning/dying?

I have a bad habit of being a late adopter on live games, and they usually start their collapse when I get really into it.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Warframe is fine. New stuff is coming out, almost all the old content is there for you to enjoy. People are still playing.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Steam charts says an average of 40-50k average over the last 6 months, the devs haven't resorted to typical "end of life" monetization, and there are still plans for a wide range of content. Hop on in if you enjoy what you've played so far and let us give you free stuff.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Also don't worry about the endless tide of "why warframe is dying" videos youtube will try to shove at you, the Content Creators (tm) need to output content to get their money and, good lord, they aren't afraid of clickbait.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I started threeish months ago and it doesn't feel like it's dying to me:shrug:

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

On the opposite end of the youtuber/partner spectrum Shy's video about that program ending basically says 'hey maybe it'll be less poo poo next time' and I'm right in line with that attitude.

And the game definitely doesn't feel like it's dying despite the recent blips of a couple bigots quitting because DE said BLM or any number of other reasons.

Hell I'm looking forward to people's opinions on railjack and squad link oriented stuff to change when those systems actually get more content.

Raptor1033 posted:

A cool giant dog and a nice Oberon

Is that ps4 exclusive armor, I don't recognize the arms and legs and I'm jealous.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

XBenedict posted:

Good day, Space Goons.

I finally got around to trying this out. A few hours in and it’s pretty fun, but is it worth carrying on at this point or is the game waning/dying?

I have a bad habit of being a late adopter on live games, and they usually start their collapse when I get really into it.

This game is as far from dying as possible. The developers are always pushing out shiny new content and have recently overhauled a troublesome tileset. It's never too late to get into this game, dive right the hell in.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

FunkyFjord posted:

Is that ps4 exclusive armor, I don't recognize the arms and legs and I'm jealous.

I'm glad you like it! The shoulder armor is specific to the tennogen Youkai skin I'm using and the legs are a mix of the heartwood leg plates and prisma latron leg plates which are from Baro. I doubt DE even knows when they'll come back in his rotation though, so your only certain bet on getting them is stocking up on ducks and buying a tennocon pass.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Oh well I have half of that and might be able to get the other half if I really want.

Thanks yo.

Definitely looks nice on that Oberon. Those shoulders are very smooth.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 20, 2020

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

XBenedict posted:

Good day, Space Goons.

You're about to hit the super fun part that will last you a good year or more. The people who say this game is dying are usually folks who've been playing it for several years

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

genericnick posted:

The thing for me as a newish player about dolons is that, after the red rocket, dolons mainly give me stuff to make me better at doing dolons.

That's... unfortunately mostly true since SS dunked all arcane prices through the floor. In theory we have a spoiler-focused expansion coming out soon but there's not really much of use outside of waybounds, a few zenurik abilities, and naramons first ability. It gets you access to Magus Elevate, which owns right now, but yeah the bulk of the focus trees aren't what you want during non-dolon play. At least getting the many millions of focus (not to mention dolon shards) you need for the waybounds is best done via dolons.

genericnick posted:

I started threeish months ago and it doesn't feel like it's dying to me:shrug:

It isn't. 2019 didn't have a big content drop ready so if your job is to show off content drops you instead make big "Is Warframe Dead?!?" or "Why I'm Quitting Warframe" clickbait videos. DE unfortunately chained together a series of bad decisions in the end of 2019/beginning of 2020, so people who were complaining about content drought just switched to railing against the new stuff.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I started playing at the end of February and the content is more than enough to justify playing. Even if they closed the doors at DE tomorrow, I'd say this was worth my time.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Yeah, Warframe's base game is amazing fun. Even moving feels good. When the controls finally "clicked" for me I literally spent hours flipping, sliding, and bullet jumping.

I don't know if anyone would agree with me on this, but it feels like what a 3D Megaman X game should be and I love it.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

In addition to what everyone else has said -- get in the clan! Once you're mastery rank 2 you can trade with other players and explore our totally ordinary clan dojo :keke: we can heap mods upon you and drag you around the galaxy for fabulous prizes!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Games great - it's absolutely not dying. I really like Railjack, Cephalon Cy has a great VO. The only part of the game I have trouble getting excited for is Archwing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I like how everyone forgot liches.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've been back into the game for less than a month and they're the one bit of content I have had zero involvement in. I assume I have to start them somehow, but hell if I'm looking it up.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I like how everyone forgot liches.

That's because there's nothing wrong with them!* Anecdotally it's been easier to find a group recently than it was before.

*that one attack they do sucks, you know, the one where they powerbomb a character. DE might as well give them invincibility during that attack because they take basically no damage, and for everyone else it's just five seconds of awkwardly standing around for everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

That's because there's nothing wrong with them!* Anecdotally it's been easier to find a group recently than it was before.

*that one attack they do sucks, you know, the one where they powerbomb a character. DE might as well give them invincibility during that attack because they take basically no damage, and for everyone else it's just five seconds of awkwardly standing around for everyone else.

Except the part where it's one of the most prolonged and boring grinds for absolutely zero reward.

Being WWE choke slammed into the ground is the most fun part of the lich content.