Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Call it off now, current ladder is final for draft purposes.

Now, does anyone want to buy a slightly used Brad Crouch for $800k per?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

No offence to mrs. Spedman but I’ve seen a out ten people on Facebook already make that joke

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
First time an Essendon player has tested positive for something :colbert:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

teacup posted:

No offence to mrs. Spedman but I’ve seen a out ten people on Facebook already make that joke

It’s a pretty obvious joke, and Mrs Spedman is an American who moved to Aus at the peak of the supplement saga, and knows very little else about footy

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

So he tested positive on Friday (yesterday) but had served his mandatory isolation after coming back from Ireland where he would have no doubt been tested at that time too. So would have to assume he contracted it since returning to Australia? Or if he did contract it overseas (or on the plane/in transit) then incubation can be a lot longer than mandatory isolation when coming back from overseas allows for which is more worrying.

If he tested negative when he returned and positive now, weeks after coming out of isolation, and he had it when he returned to Australia ... then doesn't matter whether the rest of the team tested negatively this morning when they were tested - 6 weeks from now they could all be positive. So ugh, just call off footy in 2020 ... everyone could see this coming a mile away.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
One would imagine that as part of relaunching the season the AFL would have completed a risk assessment of the instance of a player contracting the virus, and so would have a plan to deal with it when it happens.

One would imagine.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I imagine that plan basically amounted to "we dont think it'll happen so it'll be just fine"

So apparently McKenna was tested 5 times since returning from overseas, the most recent (before testing positive) was on Wednesday which was also a negative result, hence that he looked like he was in the clear.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
The season becomes a survival of the fittest where each team that has a player test positive gets knocked out of the season, WA and SA teams in the box seat

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

"tested" means a lot of things.

I too have returned to Aus recently, and only got off my quarantine on the 11th of June.

And whilst I was temperature "tested" multiple times all over the place, I only had one swab up the nose test. 3 days before I left the hotel. They gave me my results 2 days later, (I am disease free motherfuckers!), and as I was leaving the hotel in Sydney, I got some paperwork signed by both the police and Health Department officials.

So when McKenna says he was tested 5 times since he arrived back, that could mean he had his temperature taken 4 times, and the one swab up the nose. Much like I did.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
They said that the players are being tested multiple times a week. At the start of this week he tested negative and then the irregular test was followed up by the positive, they're contact tracing and isolating everyone but I guess that this week they'll rest players again multiple times and see? Might have a two week wait.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

"tested" means a lot of things.

I too have returned to Aus recently, and only got off my quarantine on the 11th of June.

And whilst I was temperature "tested" multiple times all over the place, I only had one swab up the nose test. 3 days before I left the hotel. They gave me my results 2 days later, (I am disease free motherfuckers!), and as I was leaving the hotel in Sydney, I got some paperwork signed by both the police and Health Department officials.

So when McKenna says he was tested 5 times since he arrived back, that could mean he had his temperature taken 4 times, and the one swab up the nose. Much like I did.

I listened to one interview with a player who said they got tested with a nose swab multiple times a week. Pretty sure it was from a hub team, so can't say if the Essendon regime was as strict, but it would have to be close

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Selwood is a flop

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
footy is good

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

NPR Journalizard posted:

I listened to one interview with a player who said they got tested with a nose swab multiple times a week. Pretty sure it was from a hub team, so can't say if the Essendon regime was as strict, but it would have to be close

Alternatively it’s Essendon

They probably had players sit in a vat of shark cum to build their immune system

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Looks like Geelong took Clarkson's advice to heart

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Odds essendon did something dodgy?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
James Hird welcomed back to the club in 2020 in the newly created position of quarantine overseer

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
nahh, I don't think Essendon did anything other than be unlucky

Having said that, on the Fox Footy broadcast, they just showed some footage of McKenna blasting both his nostrils out onto the turf at training earlier this week

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvtQYsckLxk

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

AFL sucks who would follow this

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
eddie betts is amazing

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Melbourne > Geelong

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
2020, go home, you're drunk.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

realbez posted:

Odds essendon did something dodgy?

Nah, they're checking to make sure McKenna didn't breach the protocols though.

Given the tests aren't super accurate it's possible he picked it up at the airport or on the plane and had been carrying it the entire time.

The bigger issue is that this thing has the potential to gently caress up your lungs for a long time so it could end his career as an elite athlete.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Pretty good thing they caught it before the game happened since he was named. The Demons must be feeling like they dodged a bullet. hosed for McKenna, I hope he isn’t affected and didn’t spread it.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Was kind of hoping Carlton would give up a 42 point lead to lose by 1 point the week after coming back from a 42 point deficit to lose by 1 point

Gary Albert retire birch

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
eddie loving betts

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

Nah, they're checking to make sure McKenna didn't breach the protocols though.

Given the tests aren't super accurate it's possible he picked it up at the airport or on the plane and had been carrying it the entire time.

The bigger issue is that this thing has the potential to gently caress up your lungs for a long time so it could end his career as an elite athlete.

Assuming all the testing he's done is "up the nose" proper tests and not just temperature checks, then my guess is he got it on the plane, as what it seems like really provides chance to catch the virus is extended exposure to somebody with it. flying the roo route back from Europe is a good way to get exposure.

poo poo luck for Essendon. let's hope the tracing can provide some clarity and the testing comes up negative for the rest of the team. best decision to delay the match, and my guess is they'll either lose the bye or get an added 'mid-week' match because of it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I heard someone talking about if both teams have an eight or nine day layoff between games that they could get it done midweek. Here's hoping.

...or just give the four points to the Demons, would also be fine

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

drunkill posted:

eddie loving betts

I loving love that guy :swoon:

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Last week Carlton ran out of time and I cursed short quarters. This week, never mind.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Memento posted:

I heard someone talking about if both teams have an eight or nine day layoff between games that they could get it done midweek. Here's hoping.

...or just give the four points to the Demons, would also be fine
Since the remainder of the schedule is still open, they can arrange things for a Tuesday game - whoever draws the short straw plays the Friday before (4 day break) while the other team gets Thursday (5 days between games), then the next match for both can be put on Sunday (another 5 days for both).

That's if we don't get any other breakouts of course.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://twitter.com/Bulldogs126/status/1274167360551653376

Only touch Jacobs could get was cheap shotting Bont from behind.

edit: And before you ask, Jacobs did not get a fine or even cited for the melee. He elbowed Bont in the back of the head and nothing came of it.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 21, 2020

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
It’s ok he was just hitting the pillow the Bont has there

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Brad Crouch is the avatar of the sunk cost fallacy

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
McKenna has admitted to purposely breaching COVID isolation protocols

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

realbez posted:

McKenna has admitted to purposely breaching COVID isolation protocols

Should be a $1600 fine from Victoria, plus a decent fine and a ban from the AFL?

In other news... Adelaide??

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

If he has actually breached protocols then he needs a lengthy stint on the sidelines for putting so many people at risk

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Windmill Hut posted:

Should be a $1600 fine from Victoria, plus a decent fine and a ban from the AFL?

In other news... Adelaide??

Adelaide bad. Badelaide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Are Gold Coast good now?