Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Oh dang he's wearing those Hulk Hogan meat shoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

That's how I dressed in grade school. No wonder I liked him so much.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

so where's the picture of him sitting next to Lowtax while Lowtax looks at him pathetically

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Arivia posted:

so where's the picture of him sitting next to Lowtax while Lowtax looks at him pathetically

Think you got this backward

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery
I never got why that picture seemed to blow people’s minds. A rich guy wearing expensive trendy clothes isn’t that weird.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hmm

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The New York Times posted:

I never got why that picture seemed to blow people’s minds. A rich guy wearing expensive trendy clothes isn’t that weird.

More world class insight from the paper of record

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

more like the new dork times

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
I didn’t say he looked good or anything 🤷🏽‍♂️

This just in: money can’t buy taste

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I love this derail because Williams actually had a thing for street fashion and often managed to showcase Japanese stuff years before it became cool stateside. That's a BAPE shirt and Japan-exclusive Nikes he's rocking there in 2002.

Here's Williams in Gaultier back in 1995...

...and here in an Issey Miyake jacket in 1997:

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 22, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RFC2324 posted:

given the artist is the one who actually posted it, and stated that yes it was his work at the time, I'mma gonna go with this thread was wrong.

I remember when it was posted and everyone went "Oh yeah, you post here!" because it was my first brush with a famous goon

I've put way too much effort into trying to verify/refute this and found nothing conclusive, but I believe you are mistaken. If you (or anyone) can find the thread that the image was first posted in then we could know for certain, but, based on this file name I think it must have been some time in 2015, on or before the 5th of July (since I didn't find it anywhere before that date). Bob Weber Jr's last post was on Feb 23 2015, which proves nothing. I did search the Doobie threads I could find for his username though and turned up nothing. I can find no evidence that he drew this picture or even knew of its existence. That obviously doesn't prove that he didn't, but add that to the fact that no one has been able to actually find that original source and that the art doesn't quite match his other comics and I find it hard to believe it's his work.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

There is your answer, not the Slylock fox guy. I hope you all feel suitably good or bad I guess.

Edit for future searchers:
Doobie's DogHouse Slylock Fox parody comic origin

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jun 22, 2020

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hub Cat posted:

There is your answer, not the Slylock fox guy. I hope you all feel suitably good or bad I guess.

Thank you. :)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hub Cat posted:

I knew the art was fundamentally different, this is a moment of satisfaction in par with turning a Comic For Kids upside down and reading that I came up with the correct solution myself

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hub Cat posted:

welp, there go my claims of having a working memory

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

RFC2324 posted:

welp, there go my claims of having a working memory

Eh, you'll forget about it soon.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

purple death ray posted:

Eh, you'll forget about it soon.

:2bong:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i have no idea if robin williams was a goon or not, but he was definitely a big nerd who played warhams and video games during the era when something awful would have been hot poo poo in gaming circles. whether a famous, wealthy, fifty year old man would have posted on a web forum i dunno, but williams was somewhat in that demographic so it's plausible at least

i think this is at a quake con in 2002. the guy on the right is john carmack, who is one of the big names in computer gaming - he was the lead creator for the graphics engines behind doom, quake, and quake 2, and can be arguably called the father of first person shooters. the guy in the middle is trent reznor, whose band nine inch nails did the soundtrack for quake and quake 2. the guy on the left had no formal connection to quake or id software, he was just a big fan :)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol that weird middle phase between "skinny goth" Trent and "beefy biker" Trent

also this is all pretty cool Robin Williams trivia but IMO all you need to know re: his innate nerdiness is that he named his daughter Zelda after the video game

she was born in '89 so he based that off just the original NES games, too.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 22, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Robin Williams was cooler/nerdier than I thought, and I wasn't expecting to learn that from this thread

e: I would recognize Carmack and his dumb grin anywhere though

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Confirmed c-tier celebrity goons: Jordan from Axis of Awesome (the one who's trans and plays warhammer, shocking absolutely no one), Robert Evans from Behind the Bastards (he actually returned and started posting a few months ago)

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
is that the same robert evans from cracked or the badass journalist who's covering protests?

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

is that the same robert evans from cracked or the badass journalist who's covering protests?

Aren’t those the same person?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

luxury handset posted:

i have no idea if robin williams was a goon or not, but he was definitely a big nerd who played warhams and video games
Meh, we still have Cliffy B, right guys?

Guys?

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

The New York Times posted:

Aren’t those the same person?

They are

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dreqqus posted:

They are

Are they?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sort of, they're like sides of a coin.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

His daughter Zelda is honest-to-goodness named after the video games. Robin Williams was as much a nerd as anyone here.

he was also a anime nerd and one of the misconceptions about one hour photo was that he specifically asked for neon genesis evangelion to be written into the plot, but actually the writer just picked a random toy. iirc he did keep the eva action figures after the movie, and he'd watch anime on laserdisk and even wanted to be in ghost in the shell.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

luxury handset posted:

the guy in the middle is trent reznor, whose band nine inch nails did the soundtrack for quake and quake 2.

quake 2 soundtrack was by something called Sonic Mayhem

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Confirmed c-tier celebrity goons: Jordan from Axis of Awesome (the one who's trans and plays warhammer, shocking absolutely no one), Robert Evans from Behind the Bastards (he actually returned and started posting a few months ago)

oh, he's back? i accused him of maybe being some poster with a handsome young stalin av several months back on twitter, but he didn't take the bait

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I've had some correspondence with Tim Kreider and invited him to check out the forums. I also advised him to not disclose his identity if he signed up because goons.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

dee eight posted:

I've had some correspondence with Tim Kreider and invited him to check out the forums. I also advised him to not disclose his identity if he signed up because goons.

That's probably a good idea. We all remember what happened with Kate Beaton

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
More like Kate Beatoff

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The guy who does Kill Six Billion Demons posts in BSS occasionally. Not very often, but I can't blame him because between doing the comic, and all the extra work involved in getting the print editions published, and also his two or three RPGs, I'm surprised he's not on an iv drip so he doesn't have to take food breaks

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

The Chad Jihad posted:

Sometimes I lay awake at night thinking of Goth Nurse. Name of Goth Nurse. Avatar of a Goth Nurse. Posted constantly about being a Goth Nurse. Would take any opportunity to tangent any discussion over to talking about being a Goth Nurse. Was not a Goth. Was not a Nurse.

A clear-cut case of Stolen Pallor if there ever was one.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The guy who made Baba Is You is also a forums member. Regularly posts in the thread for it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

The guy who made Baba Is You is also a forums member. Regularly posts in the thread for it.

Probably the only goon made game that wasn't a massive disaster or the vehicle for their weird fetish.

Also Baba is You is spellbindingly good and sheer genius in every way.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Does anyone remember some goon made a “which 20 historical figures would you invite to a dinner party” thread and got roundly mocked because his dinner party included the founder of GameFAQs along with like, Abraham Lincoln?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

pentyne posted:

Probably the only goon made game that wasn't a massive disaster or the vehicle for their weird fetish.

Also Baba is You is spellbindingly good and sheer genius in every way.

What about drops..oh

pentyne posted:

Hypnospace Outlaw, House of the Dying Sun and Brigador are all very good and I'm sure there's more I'm not aware of or remembering
There's also a handful of developers that work at larger companies that show up occasionally like ropekid and one of the developers from Cdprojekt Red shows up in their threads.

Edit:Goddamnit :(

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 24, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Hub Cat posted:

What about drops..oh

Hypnospace Outlaw, House of the Dying Sun and Brigador are all very good and I'm sure there's more I'm not aware of or remembering
There's also a handful of developers that work at larger companies that show up occasionally like ropekid and one of the developers from Cdprojekt Red shows up in their threads.

The Dungeons of Dredmor guy was a goon. That game ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Hub Cat posted:

What about drops..oh

ropekid is probably the most famous person confirmed to be 100% original goon