Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Frond posted:

It’s in ok condition considering it’s been there for 60 years.

Thats cause it was made from real 'murican STEEL :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

wesleywillis posted:

Thats cause it was made from real 'murican STEEL :911:

You must have skipped the manufacturers name on that one. I'm shocked it didn't disappear in a red cloud when the straps were pulled.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

meatpimp posted:

I present to you:

A 2009 Chevrolet Traverse with a landau top. :barf:

Edit: In its defense, it is extremely clean. I was very surprised when I looked it up and saw it was a 2009. However, the purchaser paid over $42000 for that heap in 2009.

Still can't wrap my head around the new Blazer being worth anywhere near north of $40k.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

90s Solo Cup posted:

Still can't wrap my head around the new Blazer being worth anywhere near north of $40k.

Having spent a few months at a chevy dealership, their pricing on new SUVs is almost entirely detached from reality. The new Blazers are overpriced and feel to me as just another superfluous small SUV with no identifiable market segment just to keep the 'Blazer' name tag adjacent to the realm of public recognition. Along with the new Trailblazer (which when you see one in person good golly what an ugly mess) they're not flying off the dealership lot by any means.

That doesn't even touch on the ridiculous pricing of the new 2020 Tahoe and the distinct lack of features you get for what amounts to a premium price for a basic model mid/large size SUV. Having done several pre-delivery inspections of Tahoes I was blown away by the sticker price and the dearth of what you would expect to be standard features for the prices that are being listed.

New Chevrolets; truly terrible car stuff.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Agreed on the Tahoe. I was considering that or a pickup and was blown away at how much more pickup I got for my money. And frankly I didn't get that much pickup for my money.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

They get away with the pricing by offering 7 year notes so the monthly payment is lower but the consumer doesn’t get they are being screwed.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

STR posted:

Oh they were at one point, and I'm sure some Cadillac dealer still offers it.

But it's not pristine metal after a few months under that poo poo.

I'm down for custom airbrushed tailgates, when well done. And they need to be on a proper minitruck - say, a Nissan Hardbody, Mazda B2000, Mitsubishi Mighty Max, 80s/early 90s Toyota pickup (Hilux for those outside of the US)... I'll take an old school S-10 if I absolutely have to, but I'd rather it be on Nippon minitruck sheetmetal. I'll carve out an exception for late 80s/early 90s Chevy full size pickups, but only if they have the full bodykit for the era.

This... doesn't meet a single one of that criteria. :barf:

You can't stop me from spraying Emilia Clarke on a Toyota Aygo

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

They get away with the pricing by offering 7 year notes so the monthly payment is lower but the consumer doesn’t get they are being screwed.
If the loan is 0% interest, is the customer really getting screwed? Besides of course the higher purchase price and the fact that you committing to own the car for 7 years, I don't think it's terrible if it's a low of 0% loan. Or is there usually some catch to the 0% loans?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The 7 year loans are usually not 0%. The 0% loans are for people with 750+ credit ratings and are advertised to get people in the door who likely won’t qualify to be sweet talked into a normal loan. Even if you qualify sometimes you can get a better deal with money “on the hood” vs taking the 0% loan.

It is not as clear cut as it seems on the surface like anything involving a large purchase and financing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's almost as if the entire system is built around confusing people into making poor decisions!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

If the loan is 0% interest, is the customer really getting screwed? Besides of course the higher purchase price and the fact that you committing to own the car for 7 years, I don't think it's terrible if it's a low of 0% loan. Or is there usually some catch to the 0% loans?

If I give you a choice of a 0% interest loan for something I'm going to charge you $70,000 for would you take that over a 3-4% loan for the same thing but I'm gonna charge you $45k for it?

That's what's happening to SUV and truck pricing. And extending the length of the terms. Because people are shopping by monthly payment rather than overall purchase cost.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Also dealers are making more on selling loans than the vehicles themselves so if you go in as a cash buyer they really don’t care and won’t give you more off.

Used is the same. The margin on the car is nothing but if they can sell it with a loan then :getin:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, good point. The entire industry has shifted from selling cars to selling loans. The cars are just the enticement to sign up for financing.

This isn't just the dealerships - the manufacturers are in on it as well, with all of them having "captive finance" arms.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Motronic posted:

Yeah, good point. The entire industry has shifted from selling cars to selling loans. The cars are just the enticement to sign up for financing.

This isn't just the dealerships - the manufacturers are in on it as well, with all of them having "captive finance" arms.

Thebigshort.txt

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Motronic posted:

If I give you a choice of a 0% interest loan for something I'm going to charge you $70,000 for would you take that over a 3-4% loan for the same thing but I'm gonna charge you $45k for it?

That's what's happening to SUV and truck pricing. And extending the length of the terms. Because people are shopping by monthly payment rather than overall purchase cost.

I can understand why some people want to focus on the monthly payment. So that they can rely on a fixed cost for whatever product, but its when places are all "yup we can put you in a car for only FORE FIDDY A MONTH!!!!!!!"", and they don't realize that its 450 a month for the next 17 years I mean ONLY 204 months!!

It'd be good if you could focus on an out the door price and then make the term length to match how much you can afford per month, that would probably keep a lot of people from drowning, but thats not the :911: way!

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

Also dealers are making more on selling loans than the vehicles themselves so if you go in as a cash buyer they really don’t care and won’t give you more off.

Used is the same. The margin on the car is nothing but if they can sell it with a loan then :getin:

This point about used vehicle margins isn't exactly true.

It's well known that new sedans and economy cars have razor-thin profit margins and that SUVs and trucks are where manufacturers/dealers have higher profit margins (which goes to explaining the ridiculous pricing and is arguably a boon with the shift in consumer desire for those more profitable crossovers/SUVs/trucks).

Used vehicles on the other hand are where dealers generally find higher margins by offering low trade-in value and leveraging that to make profit on the 'retail' price spread on the lot. There is also profit to be made on used cars acquired at auction for wholesale prices and then flipping them for the 'market' price. Getting someone in a used car with in-house financing as said is just another cherry on top of the sundae.

All this to say the terrible car stuff is really dealerships imo (full disclosure: I work for a dealership.) For the vast majority of carbuyers I think the dealership model is outdated and is overall more of a harm to consumers than it is a service that provides a value. I can see a reason for dealers to exist for the edge cases (read: exotic and high-end luxury cars) but overall there has to be a better way to provide a portal between consumers and manufacturers for most automobiles.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If dealers were self evidently vital, why is it illegal to sell cars without them?

Like there are actually decent arguments for why dealers should exist, they generally do in other countries as well, but they kind of undermine it when they wrote themselves into the statute books as essential.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Fair point about why SUVs and Trucks are pushed over vehicles with thinner margins.

I work for a large car listing site and one of the things we hear is fear about a large national group that offer to buy and collect your car is eating into their profits. So used has more profit potential that I inferred. As for are dealerships needed? For high end stuff I agree and I personally for a more normal vehicle would 100% just do everything online and get it delivered as well. Not because of the current pandemic situation but because I don’t want to sit in a dealership for hours and deal with all the games.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Last week I attempted to buy a car from a dealer, and they pulled the bait-and-switch on the pricing after I looked at it, attempting to add $2500 to a $11k car on an "enhancement package" which was all typical dealer fluff (nitrogen filled tires, "sanitizing, you know especially with everything going on right now", oil changes, car washes, etc). They also tacked on the dealer fee which the internet ad stated was already included. I walked of course, and yesterday I left a 1 star review.

Sales person (not the one I dealt with) calls me within 30 minutes and tries to talk in circles but I laid it out plainly until she couldn't refute what happened, and all but begged me to change the review. I told her that if the sales manager called me personally and admitted his unscrupulous behavior, I'd consider editing the review with a follow up.

Still waiting!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

coupedeville posted:

Having spent a few months at a chevy dealership, their pricing on new SUVs is almost entirely detached from reality. The new Blazers are overpriced and feel to me as just another superfluous small SUV with no identifiable market segment just to keep the 'Blazer' name tag adjacent to the realm of public recognition. Along with the new Trailblazer (which when you see one in person good golly what an ugly mess) they're not flying off the dealership lot by any means.

That doesn't even touch on the ridiculous pricing of the new 2020 Tahoe and the distinct lack of features you get for what amounts to a premium price for a basic model mid/large size SUV. Having done several pre-delivery inspections of Tahoes I was blown away by the sticker price and the dearth of what you would expect to be standard features for the prices that are being listed.

Nobody actually pays anywhere near MSRP for domestic luxo-trucks though, right?

Oh who am I kidding most buyers probably pay full sticker and have poo poo financing terms.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The Honda dealer wanted to charged like $400 for some mud guards ($70 on Honda's website), we complained, they took off the charge, but left the mud guards installed. Woo!

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

Guinness posted:

Nobody actually pays anywhere near MSRP for domestic luxo-trucks though, right?

Oh who am I kidding most buyers probably pay full sticker and have poo poo financing terms.

The MSRP is just a starting point and once you get manufacturer incentives/dealer cash and rebates you won't pay MSRP (i hope) but you're not in a bad spot if you're close to dealer invoice price before financing.

The last part is where you nailed it, really. Long term loans with questionable interest and other sorts of monetary fuckery is really where the consumer gets dicked over and ends up paying way more than the vehicle would ever be worth. I've met and talked with some real shady pieces of poo poo that have used questionable financing to fleece unsuspecting/ignorant consumers where the customer ends up paying for two trucks by the time they get done financing the truck they left the dealership with. Those are the sorts of fucksticks that should be defenestrated; lining their own pockets at the expense of their fellow man in an immoral and unethical way.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/jackdwagner/status/1274793215372062720?s=20

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
He's invented a motor that runs on bedbugs. Blood for oil with extra steps.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
When I bought my car, I originally intended to pay cash, but agreed to finance when that cut $2500 off the purchase price.

The dealer told me I had to make at least six months of payments before paying off the loan, but since that was nowhere to be found in the paperwork I signed (which was confirmed with a call to the lender), I made one payment and paid all of $14 in interest for the loan.

I later found out the early payoff probably meant the dealer didn't get a lot of their kickback from the lender, but since I had to spend 45 minutes insisting I didn't want an extended warranty, VIN etching, etc... when I went to sign the final paperwork, gently caress those guys.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

azflyboy posted:

When I bought my car, I originally intended to pay cash, but agreed to finance when that cut $2500 off the purchase price.

The dealer told me I had to make at least six months of payments before paying off the loan, but since that was nowhere to be found in the paperwork I signed (which was confirmed with a call to the lender), I made one payment and paid all of $14 in interest for the loan.

I later found out the early payoff probably meant the dealer didn't get a lot of their kickback from the lender, but since I had to spend 45 minutes insisting I didn't want an extended warranty, VIN etching, etc... when I went to sign the final paperwork, gently caress those guys.

Yep, you wanna gently caress over a dealer that is the route. Good job on that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Would Jackie Chan jump off a roof onto that? Early 90's Jackie Chan definitely would

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Q is not going to be happy

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Memento posted:

Q is not going to be happy

It's in remarkably good shape for taking down a lamp post.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Midjack posted:

It's in remarkably good shape for taking down a lamp post.

Given the other side looks to be shortened considerably...... I'd say it pretty much did as expected.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know if a DB5 quite makes the cut, but there's a saying that if the car is valuable enough, there is no irreparable damage. Hire a team of 5 old English men to recreate all the sheet metal by hand; the car's still worth more than the repair cost once it's put back together.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Would Jackie Chan jump off a roof onto that? Early 90's Jackie Chan definitely would

Except it wouldn't be believable - why would there be a truck parked outside the window that just happened to have 100 mattresses strapped to it?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know if a DB5 quite makes the cut, but there's a saying that if the car is valuable enough, there is no irreparable damage.

Those things float right around a million. I'd say it makes the cut.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The news stories said it was worth 1.5 million (USD).

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/crashed-aston-martin-db5-worth-15-million-proves-life-is-not-a-james-bond-movie-98248.html

It's been restored and reregistered (this happened in 2015).

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

coupedeville posted:

Looking at the price of the base model Tahoe and then looking at the price of a fully kitted out Dacia Duster and oh boy you need cheapo Romanian cars in your lives.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the tahoe is like twice as big

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sleep train? yeah right

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Rude Dude With Tude posted:

Looking at the price of the base model Tahoe and then looking at the price of a fully kitted out Dacia Duster and oh boy you need cheapo Romanian cars in your lives.

If there was a business case for small cheap cars then GM would have already built them. :colbert:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the tahoe is like twice as big

For non-Americans, cops love the Tahoe because it's bigger and butcher than the Explorer and gives them the opportunity to spend twice as much on toys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Perhaps more sad than terrible but I saw a stock-ish SRT-4 (‘03 or ‘04) yesterday. It was in rough-ish shape. It’s actually the first one I’ve seen in about 3 years.

They used to be everywhere in the mid 2000s, then seemingly vanished around 2012-2013 or so.