Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Honestly, they went so ham into trying to immediately scale the Y up after they decided they were done with that silly ol pandemic shutdown game that they probably didn't get a chance to actually build any quality into their processes.

From what I can tell, they're largely separate lines. So you could probably buy a 3 right now and it'll be great, but a Y would be questionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Westy543 posted:

Honestly, they went so ham into trying to immediately scale the Y up after they decided they were done with that silly ol pandemic shutdown game that they probably didn't get a chance to actually build any quality into their processes.

From what I can tell, they're largely separate lines. So you could probably buy a 3 right now and it'll be great, but a Y would be questionable.

https://youtu.be/WQY6cVNMGrw

Check the date

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Westy543 posted:

Do you have a link for that thread? I'd like to see what things they change. I've seen some really detailed reviews on YouTube from last year when I put the car on my radar, but I'd be curious to see what's changed over time.

I can't seems to find the original one I looked at but here's one:
https://teslamodel3.fandom.com/wiki/Model_3_Production_Changes

Also, here's a thread where they talk about these: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/comprehensive-list-of-model-3-updates.169317/

Here's a change log for Model 3 software: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vdCt-toHxtSxGqNgOu9Fngl1-01DfnZn-RklDj_IdHc/htmlview

quote:

Model 3 Production Changes
EDIT

COMMENTS (1)

2018:

Weatherstripping change to reduce wind noise
Dash Trim changed to single piece
01/18: Headliner changed from Alcantera to Textile
Q1/18: Suspension Spring improved
04/18: Seat cushions changed
04/18: Shiny to Matte Tesla Logo on Steering Wheel
Q2/18: Added Rear Trunk Garnish
07/18: Rear Pano glass IR coating changed
12/18: License Plate Frame change

2019:

Trunk-Cabin air passage is now covered (improves cabin noise but reduces sub-woofer sound quality)
Q1 2019: Removal of door pocket lights[1] [2]
04/19: Removal of Homelink (Only select Models)
04/19: USB dock cables removed (Only select Models)
05/19: HW3/FSD Computer switchover
08/19: Vegan Steering Wheel (vs. Leather)
09/19: Pedestrian Speaker
11/19: Removal of Frunk Bag Hooks (Confirmed)
11/19: Removal of Dead Pedal Cover (Confirmed)
Other Notable Changes:

12/18??? - Possible Rear Trunk Gasket Change
05/19??? - Removal of Frunk Mat
05/19??? - Removal of 14-50 / J1772 Adapter
Hitch Area change to allow Tow??? (European spec only AFAIK)
Improved cold weather charge port behavior to prevent freezing.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

lmao I stand corrected. I guess this is what you get for making people work during a goddamn pandemic, Elon!

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Model 3 changes

Thank you! "04/18: Shiny to Matte Tesla Logo on Steering Wheel" THANK CHRIST. My Volt's Chevy logo is shiny, and I've been blinded a nonzero number of times going out to lunch. Well, before the pandemic anyway. That'd be really annoying if they stopped including the J plug adapter, those are pricey AFAIK.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, the chrome trim looks great until you're driving in the general direction of the sun.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Yeah, regardless of whether you think the M3 quality is better after 3 years of production or whatever, I wouldn't touch anything manufactured after the shutdown up through now.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't know if they're fixing cars in the parking lot or in the tent, but it's not a great sign to have all these cars sitting around with doors missing and frunks open

https://twitter.com/phoennix10/status/1273618870427766784?s=20

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm sure there will be a wireless update to patch this out any minute now

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't know if they're fixing cars in the parking lot or in the tent, but it's not a great sign to have all these cars sitting around with doors missing and frunks open

Yeah they definitely DO have ones at the factory with hosed up doors and poo poo in the outbound lot, but they're not where car hauler trucks come. I saw a silver (the color they discontinued) Model S there, it's on the west corner of the outbound lot. They have a 3 with a hosed up front fender too. They frequently leave doors, trunks, etc open. Sometimes I stroll by and go take a look. I was browsing jobs in the area recently, and Tesla is hiring hella quality engineers (like 3-5 open positions across different departments). So maybe they're aware? Hard to tell when there's a few months lead between cars being built and cars being delivered.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 22, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MomJeans420 posted:

This is from Electrek, which exists basically as a fluff publication to suck Tesla's dick, so them running pieces about new Tesla problems is probs not the beat sign.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

YOLOsubmarine posted:

For the most part first year model issues with established manufacturers aren’t related to basic QC like “does the hatch close” or “are the back seats actually attached.” Those are things that should be a solved problem for a company that has been making cars for 10 years now. It’s another side effect of the idea that Tesla is a tech product not a manufacturing product. The most important thing is getting the release out the door, quality can be patched in later.

Hatch closing and back seats come in update version 11.773.937.9

Bernie Panders
Apr 27, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
My local Nissan dealer is selling the 2019 Leaf S Plus for $15k + fees and sales tax, net after Colorado and federal tax credits/rebates. That is one hell of a fuckin' deal.

I still think my 2020 Bolt LT was a better deal at $21.5k for the CCS and batteries that don't commit suicide over time, but that Leaf price... you could drive it for a year or two and sell to Carmax/Carvana and get all your money back.

Bernie Panders fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 22, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Bernie Panders posted:

My local Nissan dealer is selling the 2019 Leaf S Plus for $15k + fees and sales tax, net after Colorado and federal tax credits/rebates. That is one hell of a fuckin' deal.

I still think my 2020 Bolt LT was a better deal at $21.5k for the CCS and batteries that don't commit suicide over time, but that Leaf price... you could drive it for a year or two and sell to Carmax/Carvana and get all your money back.
That's used, right?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Bernie Panders posted:

I dunno if you're asking, but buy it, the Leaf is a great vehicle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cakesmith handyman posted:

There are dozens of other car manufacturers that do glass roofs, I don't hear about those leaking, there should be absolutely no path for water to get in if there isn't an opening panel of some kind.

E: statistically I'm sure there are leaks reported for every make but they just shouldn't loving leak, period.

*laughs in Volkswagen AG*

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
I had water pooling in my map lights (headliner) once, turns out the sunroof drains were clogged real good

Golf IV TDI

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Bernie Panders posted:

:eyepop:

Is that used, or new old stock? CO has like a $5K discount or something right? Still, that would have changed some equations for me.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

I had water pooling in my map lights (headliner) once, turns out the sunroof drains were clogged real good

Golf IV TDI

I discovered these drains existed after borrowing my parents Ford Explorer with a sunroof.. I had picked it up in the middle of a massive downpour. As I was coming to a stop at a traffic light, I suddenly had Niagara Falls coming from the roof console and all along handliner where it met the windshield.

Ford later told him both drain tubes where clogged pretty badly, and they had to snake one out to get it unclogged.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Golf IV TDI
Yeah, when I got my E46 it would piss water out of the passenger side A pillar if I was facing downhill during a storm or had rain coming from the rear. Turned out one of the sunroof drain hoses had come unhooked.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Charles posted:

It's been that way with every product launch they've had. To some extent I wouldn't want a first year car from any automaker.

First Year Cars I or parents have bought that had zero QA issues:

1975 Honda Accord
1984 Honda CRX
2000 Toyota Echo (I still have this, 267,000+ trouble free miles)

I sense a pattern here.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

All three cars were built before 9/11 :911:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Elviscat posted:

This is from Electrek, which exists basically as a fluff publication to suck Tesla's dick, so them running pieces about new Tesla problems is probs not the beat sign.

Apparently they've been posting more negative things recently, which is surprising because I have the same opinion about them

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I've got two Model S cars, both with the *operable* pano sunroof, never had a leak. One of those is a first year production car, other is a 2017.

Where I DID have a waterfall, was from one of the seals on the taillights leaking, and filling the interior of the rear hatch with water, which then dumped into the back of the car when the hatch was fully open. They fixed that out of warranty for free.

That said, some of those Model Y issues are laughably bad, and I can totally understand wanting to wait out this initial production/pandemic period.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

VideoGameVet posted:

First Year Cars I or parents have bought that had zero QA issues:

1975 Honda Accord
1984 Honda CRX
2000 Toyota Echo (I still have this, 267,000+ trouble free miles)

I sense a pattern here.

Conversely if you bought a Honda v6 automatic you'd be unhappy, same if you have one of the current 1.5L Earth Dreams turbo. 🤷🏻‍♂️

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

All I'm hearing is don't buy cars with sunroofs

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Obviously, all they do is take up head room.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

MomJeans420 posted:

Apparently they've been posting more negative things recently, which is surprising because I have the same opinion about them

Yeah, as I mentioned a few pages back, their head editor / author felt slighted by Tesla due to a price change, so he's no longer onboard the TSLA train. I don't think he's full TSLAQ, but he's totally willing to drag the company now.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

Obviously, all they do is take up head room.

and leak

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sunroofs are a poor substitute for having an actual cabriolet :colbert:

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Sunroofs are fine, just dont wait 10 years to empty out the drains

It's incredibly easy on the VW golfs, just play with the nipples (giggity) inside the door seams until crap falls out. If it fails, use compressed air to blow the crap out the other side.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gwrtheyrn posted:

:hmmyes:

Westy543 posted:

Yeah, as I mentioned a few pages back, their head editor / author felt slighted by Tesla due to a price change, so he's no longer onboard the TSLA train. I don't think he's full TSLAQ, but he's totally willing to drag the company now.

This is actually somehow worse than just being cheerleaders in the first place. That place is a loving cesspool.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Wibla posted:

Sunroofs are a poor substitute for having an actual cabriolet :colbert:

Yeah if you put the top down it can’t leak.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
If you go fast enough it ain't even raining

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So, I was getting everything geared up to pick up my car next Saturday, had the VIN, insurance is ready, down payment is ready, financing is approved, etc. And then I get an email from my sales advisor that somehow the factory matched me to a car that is the wrong color... Fortunately they were able to match me to one that is the correct color (literally two cars difference off the line because the serial number is only different by 2), but unfortunately its in California and I'm in Wisconsin so it will have to be shipped halfway across the country and probably won't be here on time for Saturday.

I politely asked who is the soon to be former employee responsible for this screw up.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The way Tesla runs things is that they don’t even know who fucks up.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Mistakes are unforgivable, and someone should definitely lose their livelihood in a pandemic for inconveniencing you, Karen.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Loucks posted:

Mistakes are unforgivable, and someone should definitely lose their livelihood in a pandemic for inconveniencing you, Karen.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
It was a joke, but I forgot this is the internet.

Too bad they mixed it up with black, if it had been red I might have said I'd take it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
its hilarious to me that everyone knows that the traditional OEM dealer model sucks 9 kinds of rear end but yet Tesla has managed to make an even more hosed up ordering and delivery process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

MrYenko posted:

This is actually somehow worse than just being cheerleaders in the first place. That place is a loving cesspool.
The stupidity of Tesla not making sure their boosters stay on the train vs. The dumbass who covers them and doesn't realize they absolutely dgaf