Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Do they break out trucks by fleet / commercial sales and normal consumer sales? I could imagine trucks having a higher proportion of their market being driven by purchases planned long in advance for businesses that need them regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

SpartanIvy posted:

The car dealer my mom bought her 2019 Traverse from called to tell her that for "only" an additional $15,000 they'll upgrade her to a 2020 model.

She's considering it because it'll reset her 3 year warranty. :downs:

It's not as bad as paying an additional 15k, but I've posted in the thread before about one of my coworkers who brags about her "free upgrades" that her dealership provides for her.

She pays the same monthly rate, but extends the loan an extra 6 years to upgrade her 2015 model to a 2018 model.

When someone tried to explain it to her, she understood what the deal was, but seemed to think that "car payments are a permanent thing, so same payment each month + new car = free upgrade" and refused to see how it was costing more money.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Kind of low hanging fruit but man I do not understand people who think car payments are just a permanent thing.

I can tell you exactly when mine ends and I can’t loving wait.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

so chivalry, the word, is descended from latin by way of french, from cheval (horse)

which makes me think that there's gotta be some medieval bwm stories out there. their relationship to the horse was analogous to our relationship w the truck, which definitely means that bwm stories are still possible

It goes way further back. Horse BWM is as ancient as the horse itself:

Aristophanes, 423 BC posted:

I can’t sleep. I’m just too miserable,
what with being eaten up by all this debt—
thanks to this son of mine, his expenses,
his racing stables. He keeps his hair long
and rides his horses—he’s obsessed with it—
his chariot and pair. He dreams of horses.
And I’m dead when I see the month go by—
with the moon’s cycle now at twenty days,
as interest payments keep on piling up.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do they break out trucks by fleet / commercial sales and normal consumer sales? I could imagine trucks having a higher proportion of their market being driven by purchases planned long in advance for businesses that need them regardless.

That CNBC article was talking about consumer sales.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

According to the article, all other car sales tanked 52%, but trucks were exactly where the pre-pandemic estimates expected.

I'm sure there is some meta-commentary to be had, but it looks like trucks are actually a recession-proof industry in America.

Makes sense, most pickups are at least a serviceable Mad Max apocalyptic hellworld starter chassis.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Morholt posted:

Anyone who needs a chariot that big must have a huge, unstylish barbarian dick.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Anyone who needs a chariot that big must have a huge, unstylish barbarian dick.

Priap has truly corrupted the mind of that young man.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I mean it's the correct answer here. Linking reddit posts in an SA thread will often get the original post deleted because reddit mods are super weird about traffic coming from outside reddit. If you check out the r/relationships or similar threads they don't link anything to stop the reddit mods from going on some crazy purge to stop the outside traffic.

Then at least say it's on Reddit so we know where to search. Despite what was suggested upthread, searching Google for a post title like "Best way to opt out of certain taxes?" does not get anywhere close to the post in question.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Morholt posted:

ancient greek bwm

Holy poo poo this owns.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I mean it's the correct answer here. Linking reddit posts in an SA thread will often get the original post deleted because reddit mods are super weird about traffic coming from outside reddit. If you check out the r/relationships or similar threads they don't link anything to stop the reddit mods from going on some crazy purge to stop the outside traffic.

I don't think anything on reddit is going to get deleted specifically because it was linked on this tiny subforum and generated 65 referrals or whatever.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Vox Nihili posted:

I don't think anything on reddit is going to get deleted specifically because it was linked on this tiny subforum and generated 65 referrals or whatever.

This thread's slow enough it probably doesn't matter, yeah.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
0% financing for 84 months is pretty attractive. If I were on the fence that would probably tip me over. The hardest part would be not paying it off early.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Kind of low hanging fruit but man I do not understand people who think car payments are just a permanent thing.

This was my parents. As soon as the car was paid off it was time to sell and upgrade to a nicer one. They taught us that this was perfectly normal and everyone did it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

COVID-19 has left me unable to tell who in my office is being performatively hardworking and who is actually insane.

One of our employees responded to an email about how they are extending the ability to work from home for some people and others are going to be required to work from home.

They are complaining about having to work from home, wishing they could be in the office, and even saying that they are considering transferring to a different department that is requiring employees to come into the office in order to get back in sooner or retiring early.

Their job is 90% using the phone, so they want to come in and use the phone in the office so badly that they are willing to quit their job and get transferred to a department that is being forced to come into the office.

Also,

- Every position in this other department makes less than she currently does.
- The email was a mass email and was not directed specifically at her, so why bother to respond to it? Let alone with this sort of raving passion to be back in the office to... use the phone.
- What kind of psycho wants to ruin the ability to work from home for everyone else?
- She has 30 years of service sometime next year (6-9 months), which is the final vesting period for the pension. If she were to retire early, then she would lose about 13.5% of her pension compared to if she stayed the last 6 months.

I have to come in, so it doesn't even impact me, but I can't understand why you would advocate for everyone else to get back in there with you.

I'm almost positive that she is not being serious about retiring early, but it doesn't even make sense. You want to come into the office so badly that you are going to retire and stay home full-time? And blow a not small chunk of your pension that you worked 30 years for?

If you're not being serious about it, then why in the world do you feel the need to show everyone that you would cripple decades of work/your retirement to let everyone know how badly you want to come back into the office?

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 22, 2020

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sounds like someone is really sick of her husband.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Soylent Pudding posted:

This was my parents. As soon as the car was paid off it was time to sell and upgrade to a nicer one. They taught us that this was perfectly normal and everyone did it.

At least if you're doing that you're carrying equity in to the new car note.

COVID-19 has left me unable to tell who in my office is being performatively hardworking and who is actually insane.

One of our employees responded to an email about how they are extending the ability to work from home for some people and others are going to be required to work from home.

They are complaining about having to work from home, wishing they could be in the office, and even saying that they are considering transferring to a different department that is requiring employees to come into the office in order to get back in sooner or retiring early.

Their job is 90% using the phone, so they want to come in and use the phone in the office so badly that they are willing to quit their job and get transferred to a department that is being forced to come into the office.

Also,

- Every position in this other department makes less than she currently does.
- The email was a mass email and was not directed specifically at her, so why bother to respond to it? Let alone with this sort of raving passion to be back in the office to... use the phone.
- What kind of psycho wants to ruin the ability to work from home for everyone else?
- She has 30 years of service sometime next year (6-9 months), which is the final vesting period for the pension. If she were to retire early, then she would lose about 13.5% of her pension compared to if she stayed the last 6 months.

I have to come in, so it doesn't even impact me, but I can't understand why you would advocate for everyone else to get back in there with you.

I'm almost positive that she is not being serious about retiring early, but it doesn't even make sense. You want to come into the office so badly that you are going to retire and stay home full-time? And blow a not small chunk of your pension that you worked 30 years for?

If you're not being serious about it, then why in the world do you feel the need to show everyone that you would cripple decades of work/your retirement to let everyone know how badly you want to come back into the office?

I know of some people with kids at home who would murder another person to get back in to the office.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I know of some people with kids at home who would murder another person to get back in to the office.

According to the last employee survey at my company this was over 10% but I think under 15%. I was surprised it was that high.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

I’ve had a few financial status inquiries where if you don’t have a car payment you have to explain why not. I put “I can do math so I’m not perpetually indebted” and they usually don’t ask questions.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I don't really see the shame in having a car payment when you can typically get a lower price by financing at sub-1.0% rates

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Soylent Pudding posted:

I think this comes from the 70s, 80s and 90s when cars really didn't last as long and would be more likely to come apart around 100k miles. Looking at a quick glance of econobox types it seems adjusting for inflation cars were a bit less expensive which helps. So if you took a 4 or 5 year loan, you'd "used up" a lot more of the car by the time the loan was paid.

Now, 150k-200k should be no sweat for a car but for a lot of people 75k-100k miles and 5-6 years old is "old", even though there's plenty of drive left for the vast majority of cars.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

- She has 30 years of service sometime next year (6-9 months),

DING DING DING DING. Anecdotal as gently caress but every person I've met who is going insane with work from home is an old. I mean, I know parents etc. who wish the kids would go back to school and plenty of people who are finding out that their spouses kind of bug them if they need to be around them 24/7, but the ones who really, REALLY lament not being in the office are the older folks.

It's also worth noting that they're the same ones who seem to really lean on work as a place to socialize.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Cyrano4747 posted:

DING DING DING DING. Anecdotal as gently caress but every person I've met who is going insane with work from home is an old. I mean, I know parents etc. who wish the kids would go back to school and plenty of people who are finding out that their spouses kind of bug them if they need to be around them 24/7, but the ones who really, REALLY lament not being in the office are the older folks.

It's also worth noting that they're the same ones who seem to really lean on work as a place to socialize.

At my work, I've got one old-timer corporate drone who is not working from home. As in, the entire multinational corporation is mandated to be working from home, but he is the only human in this particular building, including the other tenants. The response from everyone who heard the story was, "Well, if it's just him, I guess it's fine?"

He's also normally one of the socializers so I've been unwillingly subjected to lots of stories about his ex-wife so something tells me he needs to get away from her. I guess it's cheaper than a divorce.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I don't really see the shame in having a car payment when you can typically get a lower price by financing at sub-1.0% rates

It might be a good choice for you but that's because there are enough others getting raked over the coals that the dealer still comes out ahead. I bought my first car at MSRP with zero negotiation because I was financially illiterate and lazy, but happened to come out ahead since I bought out the loan partway through and am driving the same vehicle 10+ years later. That was about the best thing that could have happened all things considered.

Sell or Keep my single Pokemon card investment? ($15k) I've spoken to many collectors and they for the most part say that it's a good idea to hold onto the card as in 5-10 years it could be worth $30k+.

Q: It’s 6:34 A.M where I am. How can I make $50 before today is over ?
A: Try to search for mobile gambling apps with first goes free/ spend £10 and get given £30 type offers...those types of apps make you win early to get up your spirits up so downloading them for that purpose can get you some quick cash?

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 22, 2020

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Superior German financing.

Cyrano4747 posted:

And when it hits a round number I start thinking about if I could stomach the increased payment to close it in x months. If I just paid a quadruple payment I'd be done in ten months...

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Phanatic posted:

Then at least say it's on Reddit so we know where to search. Despite what was suggested upthread, searching Google for a post title like "Best way to opt out of certain taxes?" does not get anywhere close to the post in question.

Farmers and preachers both have or used to have the option to opt out of social security taxes and forgo social security benefits. Amish people too I believe. My next door neighbor is a retired preacher and he talks about how he's glad he paid in but he knows a lot 9f other former preachers that didn't and are now destitute.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
RE: making Magic: The Gathering more accessible to people by reprinting early, powerful cards: the reason they don't do this is it fucks over the investors, and the investors represent a substantial amount of money in M:TG. They buy large amounts of boxes of sets, then sit on them unopened for years in order to sell them later for way more than they paid for them, assuming the price for unopened boxes from that set goes up.

It's not that they never reprint cards, but keeping a certain level of rare cards not reprinted keeps that market up, which keeps them buying boxes from future sets, and keeps that revenue stream flowing. And if that means a bunch of people who would only spend maybe a couple of hundred bucks a year on the game end up not playing it... well, that's okay with them.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

It's not as bad as paying an additional 15k, but I've posted in the thread before about one of my coworkers who brags about her "free upgrades" that her dealership provides for her.

She pays the same monthly rate, but extends the loan an extra 6 years to upgrade her 2015 model to a 2018 model.

When someone tried to explain it to her, she understood what the deal was, but seemed to think that "car payments are a permanent thing, so same payment each month + new car = free upgrade" and refused to see how it was costing more money.

If you arent currently making a car payment, you need to buy a new car. Facts

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

RE: making Magic: The Gathering more accessible to people by reprinting early, powerful cards: the reason they don't do this is it fucks over the investors, and the investors represent a substantial amount of money in M:TG. They buy large amounts of boxes of sets, then sit on them unopened for years in order to sell them later for way more than they paid for them, assuming the price for unopened boxes from that set goes up.

It's not that they never reprint cards, but keeping a certain level of rare cards not reprinted keeps that market up, which keeps them buying boxes from future sets, and keeps that revenue stream flowing. And if that means a bunch of people who would only spend maybe a couple of hundred bucks a year on the game end up not playing it... well, that's okay with them.

It just doesn’t encourage interesting play with something that powerful in a deck. Unless having a playset of Force of Will is a mandatory condition of competitive play, it just doesn’t make sense to have cards with that kind of power in regular play. Skullclamp is a great example of a card that just wasn’t balanced and had to be banned while it was live, but if it came out in Alpha we would be talking about rare Skullclamps that can’t be reprinted.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lockback posted:

I think this comes from the 70s, 80s and 90s when cars really didn't last as long and would be more likely to come apart around 100k miles. Looking at a quick glance of econobox types it seems adjusting for inflation cars were a bit less expensive which helps. So if you took a 4 or 5 year loan, you'd "used up" a lot more of the car by the time the loan was paid.

Now, 150k-200k should be no sweat for a car but for a lot of people 75k-100k miles and 5-6 years old is "old", even though there's plenty of drive left for the vast majority of cars.

I've never owned a car that on the day I got it had less then 50k miles.

I've watched several coworkers in the space of 3 years all get new cars because their old one was paid off and it was a "I really want this one" thing. The lady who ended up getting told to lease instead of buy really, really wanted a Prius no matter what that's why she's now paying $600 a month for a new lease + insurance and on track to blow past her mileage amount by 5 digits.

Buying new must have a lot of advantages, but a solid used car for $10k or less could last a decade no problem with regular care and maintenance. You have early 00s corollas and accords on the road now that are probably going to last well into this decade and not break down until the frame itself just suffers enough from age wear & tear.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

pentyne posted:

Buying new must have a lot of advantages, but a solid used car for $10k or less could last a decade no problem with regular care and maintenance. You have early 00s corollas and accords on the road now that are probably going to last well into this decade and not break down until the frame itself just suffers enough from age wear & tear.

Driving a ~15 year old Honda with less than 140K miles on it. I literally expect it to fall apart around me before the yearly maintenance gets more expensive than a new car payment.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Driving a ~15 year old Honda with less than 140K miles on it. I literally expect it to fall apart around me before the yearly maintenance gets more expensive than a new car payment.

"Bro how do you expect to get laid with that car"

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

What I save in car payments, I spend on ladies of negotiable affection.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Morholt posted:

My very being burns for more of this. Please, please, please, give us more ancient BWM stories. There has to be an absolute gold mine here.

Motronic posted:

According to the last employee survey at my company this was over 10% but I think under 15%. I was surprised it was that high.

I'm surprised it was that low.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Whoever referred the Swindled podcast, that was a pro click. What started as the scandalous affair of my hometown hero John Edwards took a left turn into horse murder insurance fraud. This is my favourite podcast I've discovered in 2020. Well written and produced, and all these stories are GRIPPING.

I'm listening to the Belle Gibson story now, Australian lady who built a woo empire based on her fake cancer.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jun/20/cancer-con-artist-belle-gibson-cries-while-in-court-over-unpaid-410000-fine

quote:

The disgraced wellness blogger Belle Gibson spent more than $90,000 in two years and went to Bali and Africa, a court has heard, but still claimed she could pay her fine for conning Australians.

Gibson was fined $410,000 for breaching consumer laws after claiming she cured her non-existent brain cancer through diet and alternative therapies.

A financial analysis of the 27-year-old showed she spent about $91,000 between 2017 and 2019, which she denied.

“I don’t believe your figure is correct,” she told the federal court in Melbourne on Thursday.

But Carl Moller, for Consumer Affairs, said its analysis showed $13,000 in that period was splurged on clothes, cosmetics and accessories.

The con artist had also taken trips, including to Bali in 2017, because she wanted to “take leave of her situation here in Melbourne”.

During her Bali trip, $1,600 was paid into her account to help fund her ongoing travel, but she was not sure who transferred her the cash.

“Is it seriously your evidence that $1,600 was deposited into your account, in three deposits in the space of about a week, and you don’t know who deposited it?” Moller asked.

“I’d have to speculate and I’m not willing to do that,” Gibson replied.

She had previously said she went to East Africa on a holiday which was a gift from a mysterious room mate named “Clive”.

Gibson said that thousands of dollars going into her account was not income, but repayments for running errands for friends who did not have time to do their shopping or get their car serviced.

However, she failed to explain why she withdrew $3,500 cash from Collingwood in October and what it was used for.

She earlier broke down in tears when quizzed about her relationship with “Claire”, who she was caring for under an arrangement with the woman’s daughter.

“I’m sorry ... it’s of a personal nature, it’s not something I want to be discussing,” she replied when questioned about the arrangement with the woman.

She was asked whether the woman had died, but said no, before she began to cry, took her glasses off and said it was because of her “empathetic nature”.

“I care about these people,” she said.

The arrangement with the woman started through online outsourcing skills site AirTasker but Gibson said she had since been kicked off the platform.

“[I’m] no longer able to use the platform,” she said. “I’m uncertain why.”

Despite lavish spending habits detailed in her bank statements, she said she was unable to pay the penalty.

“I’m not in a position to pay a $410,000 fine at this stage,” she said.

Last month the court was told forensic accounts examining Gibson’s bank accounts had discovered “curious” trading, including of crypto-currencies and a Sportsbet account.

As well as claiming she cured herself of cancer, Gibson lied to customers and said she would donate money from her Whole Pantry app and book sales to charities.

Gibson received $440,500 from sales of her app and book but donated only about $10,000.

Her barrister, Andrew Tragardh, previously said his client could not afford to keep coming back to court.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

bob dobbs is dead posted:

so chivalry, the word, is descended from latin by way of french, from cheval (horse)

which makes me think that there's gotta be some medieval bwm stories out there. their relationship to the horse was analogous to our relationship w the truck, which definitely means that bwm stories are still possible

"The Duke of Orleans has requested we levy 1000 more horse lords and their fiefdoms, summoning them to Agincourt at once"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/RileyCNBC/status/1275098889389998080?s=20

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

North Arabian Graffiti Writings (Est. 782 A.D.)

quote:

MY MIND WILL WEAR OUT
MY COFFERS WILL RUN DRY
FROM MY LUBBERLY SON
AND HIS STALLIONS
AS VAIN AND WAYWARD AS HE
MY HAND WILL FADE
BUT THIS WRITING SHALL REMAIN

The first ever negative Yelp review as an Inscription on the Vico del Labirinto

quote:

1393: On April 20th, I gave a cloak to be washed. On May 7th, a headband. On May 8th, two tunics. On May 11th I was charged for two tunics, two headbands, and two cloaks. I paid for two headbands, two tunics, and two cloaks in silence. But, I will not return to do business.

Theophilus is BWM and nasty.

quote:

8898: Theophilus, don’t perform oral sex on girls against the city wall like a dog. Now you have no coin or pride.

This one might be too real for BWM content. Alcoholism destroys lives.

quote:

Bar of Hedone on the Street of the Augustales; on the corner toward the lupinare; 1679: Hedone says, “You can get a drink here for only one coin. You can drink better wine for two coins. You can drink Falernian for four coins. Heed my advice for I have none."

BWM: All the gold in the world is likely worth far more than your husband.

quote:

House of Caprasius Primus; 3061: I don’t want to sell my husband, not for all the gold in the world

quote:

A copper pot went missing from my shop. Anyone who returns it to me will be given 65 bronze coins (sestertii). 20 more will be given for information leading to the capture of the thief. My word is true. I have more sense of justice than sense of coin.

Attice, you can do better than 4 sestertii.

quote:

1751: If anyone sits here, let him read this first of all: if anyone wants a screw, he should look for Attice; she costs 4 sestertii.

Some horny, nasty, and BWM wisdom.

quote:

A small problem gets larger if you ignore it. Whether it be an untamed desire for buggery, unattended hemorrhoids, or an empty purse.

quote:

If you felt the fires of love, mule-driver, you would make more haste to see Venus. I love a charming boy; I ask you, goad the mules; let’s go. Take me to Pompeii, where love is sweet. At journey's end, I shall have no gold, but I shall have you. You are mine…

Restitutus is either poor or BWM. But, he is definitely a jerk

quote:

Restitutus has deceived many girls. He has as much wealth as he does stamina.

At least your wallet died the way we all want to go.

quote:

Here is where the demise of my purse began and ended…Some nuts …? coins; drinks: 14 coins; lard: 2 coins; bread: 3 coins; three meat cutlets: 12 coins; four sausages: 8 coins. Total: 51 coins

The up-sells and add-ons are where they get you.

quote:

The city block of the Arrii Pollii in the possession of Gnaeus Alleius Nigidius Maius is available to rent from July 1st. There are shops on the first floor, upper stories, high-class rooms and a house. A person interested in renting this property should contact Primus, the slave of Gnaeus Alleius Nigidius Maius. Sculptures of horse and busts are removed, but can be returned for more.

Although it is not BWM, I think we can all agree that this is best ancient writing ever recovered:

quote:

(Bar/Brothel of Innulus and Papilio)

3932: Weep, you girls. My penis has given you up. Now it penetrates men’s behinds. Goodbye, wondrous femininity!

https://www.boredpanda.com/graffiti-from-ancient-pompeii/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic
https://kashgar.com.au/blogs/history/the-bawdy-graffiti-of-pompeii-and-herculaneu
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/32276/11-colorful-phrases-ancient-roman-graffiti
https://pastebin.com/tKLSWjSt
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/32276/11-colorful-phrases-ancient-roman-graffiti

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Volmarias posted:

My very being burns for more of this. Please, please, please, give us more ancient BWM stories. There has to be an absolute gold mine here.

Just google for the play.
https://johnstoniatexts.x10host.com/aristophanes/cloudshtml.html

quote:

STREPSIADES
O you most honoured sacred goddesses,
in answer to your thunder-call I’d like to fart—
it’s made me so afraid—if that’s all right . . .

[Strepsiades pull down his pants and farts loudly in the direction of the offstage Chorus.]

Oh, oh, whether right nor not, I need to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

quote:

A copper pot went missing from my shop. Anyone who returns it to me will be given 65 bronze coins (sestertii). 20 more will be given for information leading to the capture of the thief. My word is true. I have more sense of justice than sense of coin.
Attice, you can do better than 4 sestertii.

quote:

1751: If anyone sits here, let him read this first of all: if anyone wants a screw, he should look for Attice; she costs 4 sestertii.

So, doing the maths:

65+20=85 sestertii
85 sestertii > the value of one copper pot

39.99/85 = 0.47
1 sestertii = $0.47
4 x $0.47 = $1.88

So, Attice gives a full service for less than £1.88