Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok holy poo poo I though the HD in the X was on a tray but gently caress that! I’ll just get the external case and use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Ok holy poo poo I though the HD in the X was on a tray but gently caress that! I’ll just get the external case and use that.

Nah it’s a lot of loving around which sucks, but oh well.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hambeet posted:

Nah it’s a lot of loving around which sucks, but oh well.

Yeah it’s $9 for an enclosure and no loving around.

Looking at the benchmarks it does help quite a bit so that will be nice.

I actually have another 250gig laying around I might as well just hook that up too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its also faster externally because the USB port can use SATA 3 whereas the internal drive is on a SATA II bus or something.

at least that was the initial findings on the xbox one

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

That is true for the original and the S.

I think the X is sata 3 which is slightly faster than USB 3 on paper, but you probably wouldn’t notice the difference in day to day usage. Also to take advantage of that would require opening up the console and loving around, and well, :effort:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have an SSD hanging off my X because its absolutely faster than the internal drive but yeah I wasnt sure if it was still a thing.

I put all my lovely games on the internal drive and all the big games im currently playing live on the SSD.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok cool thanks for the advice! I ordered an enclosure and I just have to muster up the effort to swap my main PC drive.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Laserface posted:

I dont get streaming at all. if i have time to watch someone play videogames it is time I can use to play videogames myself.

My only real problem with streaming is that I like to pause the video and do something else and then come back. With streams I will miss things. Also streams can't be cut/fast-forwarded live to show just the highlights

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

MarcusSA posted:

Ok cool thanks for the advice! I ordered an enclosure and I just have to muster up the effort to swap my main PC drive.

Yeah, I did what you were planning to do and I don't regret it but it was a huge pain in the rear end. You can't just clone the old hard drive onto the SSD, you have to have it formatted then install some custom version of the Xbox OS that Microsoft has on their website for some reason. The machine itself was fairly easy to take apart but a nightmare to put back together. Then you have to download all your games all over again. And from what I've read you're running the risk of a future software update completely bricking it and you can't do anything because you've voided your warranty.

Some games do load faster though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

Oh ok I just figured it might just be a case of pull the old one out and slap the new one in and let the box do its thing.

I don't know if you plan on getting a Series X one day but Microsoft said you can use an existing external drive with your current Xbox and when the Series X releases, just connect said drive with all your games on and they will play instantly with no issues. I got an external 2TB Western Digital SSD that's tiny (with an annoyingly tiny cable) that I've been downloading all my games onto for when the Series X launches. If you want to stay within the Xbox ecosystem definitely give it some consideration, especially because it's not just the speed advantages but SSDs having no mechanical parts makes them a lot more sturdy and reliable.

Cojawfee posted:

Streamers can pull in a lot of money if they can hype up their viewers and start sub and bit goals and whatnot.

I know one streamer who is suspiciously shady as gently caress and I don't know what's happening with his streams/platform but I caught his stream by chance one day and it was good, but there were some viewers who were gifting outrageous amounts of subs to people (like gifting 50 subs which is what $250?) and then he would act surprised but then try and provoke a sub train and get lots of people to sub. Kinda odd but whatever.

The shady thing however is I saw his stream the next day and day after go exactly the same, and then he disappeared for literally months. A bunch of people subbed for like 12 months and it was for nothing, he was gone and they'd thrown their money down the drain. Then after four or five months he comes back, huge gifts of subs again, gets people subbing for 12 months or 24 or whatever, keeps it up for like a week, and then disappears yet again.

I just saw him a few weeks ago randomly, back on yet again and clicked his stream out of curiosity and "I bet he's hyping a sub train right now..." and sure enough he was. He streamed the next day and said he might or might not stream the following day because it was his birthday, and he's disappeared since.

It's like some bizarre sugar daddy (absurd gift bombs) crossed with possible money laundering deal? It's so weird but there's all these people who sub and he streams about five days every four or five months. I can't figure out what the deal is other than it being fascinatingly weird and also really sucking for the people who get roped into subscribing.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

That's very odd, given that I'd always understood that the main indicator of success with a stream, especially if it wasn't doing something like leveraging sex appeal, was to have a very frequent and regular schedule, and where flaking on a stream even once, especially before you hit it big, could permanently screw your ability to reach a level where you can make a living off it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

XtraSmiley posted:

Agree 100% on all points except the MD, but only because i haven't played it.

I find that some of the claims work better if you wait about 5 min. after getting the achievement. I wish it was just automatic somehow though, I have going through ten different squares to claim 5 points...

What's really weird is sometimes on the daily achievement on the MS points app it works when I haven't earned an achievement for that day.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

univbee posted:

That's very odd, given that I'd always understood that the main indicator of success with a stream, especially if it wasn't doing something like leveraging sex appeal, was to have a very frequent and regular schedule, and where flaking on a stream even once, especially before you hit it big, could permanently screw your ability to reach a level where you can make a living off it.

Exactly. I can't figure it out at all, it's utterly bizarre. The guy seems nice and if he's doing something odd or whatever and all these people are in on it I don't wanna rat on him 'cause he's Puerto Rican and they've had it really lovely over there, but it's the weirdest thing and makes zero sense. Like even his viewer numbers, months away and first day back they're at the regular number of about 200 or so, which is impressive considering he streams Titanfall.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

SUNKOS posted:

Titanfall.

Thought it was all 100% legit until this part

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I mean streams ain't just about the games, they're almost always more about the person streaming than the game they're playing. Sometimes I'll watch a steam just because the person playing is just way better at the game than me, they have a good rapport with the people watching, they offer some kind of decent commentary, whatever. It's a bit of a boomer brain argument that watching a steam is pointless when I could just play the game itself. Even when you are capable of doing a hobby, it's still fun to watch other people engage in that hobby, if only for the catharsis of someone else being bad at something you know more about.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I much prefer edited content for stuff like that though. I doubt I would just watch hours of straight footage of choco taco but his highlight reels are glorious.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Aaronicon posted:

I mean streams ain't just about the games, they're almost always more about the person streaming than the game they're playing. Sometimes I'll watch a steam just because the person playing is just way better at the game than me, they have a good rapport with the people watching, they offer some kind of decent commentary, whatever. It's a bit of a boomer brain argument that watching a steam is pointless when I could just play the game itself. Even when you are capable of doing a hobby, it's still fun to watch other people engage in that hobby, if only for the catharsis of someone else being bad at something you know more about.

Yeah, it's definitely about the streamer. Watching a streamer play a single-player game is a bit like watching MST3k but the skits are replaced with standup comedy, and online games are more like sports commentary crossed with standup comedy. Some streamers have game design experience and make pretty insightful comments on the design/writing/etc. of the game, which makes it a bit more like watching a movie with commentary enablede. Speedrunners explaining their tricks can make for some fascinating listening as well.

I mean, I'd prefer edited content for most of that as well, but there's not nearly as much of that because streaming is so much easier. And there are some really good streamers.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Streams are just background noise for me, since I don't watch much TV now that sports are cancelled forever.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Kramdar posted:

I just managed to buy a an Xbox One at a thrift store with the power cord only. I only briefly plugged it into the TV to see if it had picture. I see it has an account on it, and it has the no internet connection error code. Will i be able to reset this thing without any problems?

Probably too late on this but if possible try to connect to the internet when doing the factory reset. That will allow that console to be removed as home console for any previous accounts for which it was set.

Not a huge deal if you can't, though, as that old account won't be in the box anymore.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Thought it was all 100% legit until this part

Titanfall 2, not the first one! I do wish people still streamed the first one, though :(

100% serious, though. The directory has even revived a bit now that the game is on Steam but new players are just getting stomped so it probably won't last for long. Approximately 200 viewers means it's one of the most popular streamers for the game however, that's basically the outlier that's up there. Everyone else seems to get about 30 viewers max? FrothyOmen was popular but ditched the game, there was a dude called Cownt Chocula (I think?) who was also cool but just disappeared, it seems? His streams were really laid back and chill.

But yeah in regards to what others have said regarding streams, my monitor is wide enough to have one side showing a stream and the other for working. Those Ultrawide monitors are even better for this kinda thing since it's like three screens in one. Really useful being able to have so much visible simultaneously, especially for coding/studying/art/etc.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Stuntman posted:

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner again

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I feel like Titanfall 2 is one of those "you had to be there" games. I tried going back and playing it a few days ago and was just like ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It's good but not good enough for me to sink a bunch of time into and try and deal with any of the problems involved with a smaller playerbase.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I was coming to post about that Halo Infinite teaser that's got people hype but see this poo poo instead.

What the gently caress?

This was the last traditional forum-based internet community that was good and well, welp. 2020 just keeps on giving but I sure hope that woman's okay. Don't know wtf is happening now because I doubt anyone here is organized enough to do what the NeoGAF folk did where they instantly made ResetERA.

Eurgh. Is that hard to just like, not beat women? Can't believe all the donations for spinal problems etc. was allegedly going to sports cars either. Genuinely fascinated to know if there's actually anything genuinely medically wrong with him because he said he couldn't even move but backhanding a woman to the ground takes a lotta moving.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Is this Anandtech making a typo, or did they unintentionally leak a surprise summer launch date? It popped up in an unrelated article on Nvidia driver updates.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15880/nvidia-posts-first-directx-12-ultimate-driver-set-enables-gpu-hardware-scheduling

Anandtech posted:

In any case, enabling DirectX 12 Ultimate support is an important step for the company, though one that’s mostly about laying the groundwork for game developers, and ultimately, future games. At this point no previously-announced games have confirmed that they’ll be using DX12U, though this is just a matter of time, especially with the Xbox Series X launching in a few weeks.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They either meant being revealed in the Xbox press event in mid July or they meant a few months.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Xbox shifting strategies from being New Dreamcast to being New Saturn

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
My theory, pre-coronavirus, was that one of the two next-gen consoles would release in September. It seems unlikely to happen!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its only like 12 weeks until october

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Closest thing to a leak over the timing I've seen is when some non-US pages on the Xbox site got updated with graphics that said it was coming 'at Thanksgiving' instead of just 'holiday 2020'. There's only two countries that phrase makes any sense in.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I haven't been keeping up with things but shouldn't the new xbox be powerful enough to do some VR support?

It would be pretty rad if they supported some of these PC headsets.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

So I haven't been keeping up with things but shouldn't the new xbox be powerful enough to do some VR support?

It would be pretty rad if they supported some of these PC headsets.

Its not a pc so theyd have to pay for ports

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Its not a pc so theyd have to pay for ports

Ports of what?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How long until a console maker colludes with retailers to say "And it's available right now" and then everyone rushes to buy it but it's sold out and they just keep saying "sorry, scalpers keep getting them" for weeks until they finally actually release the console on ebay for double what they said retail would be.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Very bad vibes from that halo teaser focusing on a sp enemy faction instead of something people might care about

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Ports of what?

Vr games

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

How long until a console maker colludes with retailers to say "And it's available right now" and then everyone rushes to buy it but it's sold out and they just keep saying "sorry, scalpers keep getting them" for weeks until they finally actually release the console on ebay for double what they said retail would be.

Never?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm talking about the console supporting the use of the headset though? Of course people would have to pay for the VR games?

Does Elite Dangerous on the PS4 support PSVR?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Real hurthling! posted:

Very bad vibes from that halo teaser focusing on a sp enemy faction instead of something people might care about
I haven’t played a Halo game since Reach and based on what I have seen, I don’t really regret it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

What else would they focus on in a teaser? The whole point is to get you to watch the games showcase in July so you can see the stuff you care more about.