Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

So, the only new car I've ever bought (leased) was a 2000 Miata. Twilight blue with a tan interior and top, limited slip, ABS, deluxe package etc. I think it took 3 months from paying my deposit to actually receiving the car. I only got it that quickly because I kept badgering the dealer and they managed to redirect one that had been built to that spec to them while it was still on the boat from Japan (at least that was their story), which if true, meant the one other person who ordered that spec was SOL until mine rolled off the assembly line.
Which is why I'm pretty incredulous about all the whining people do for not getting What I Ordered, Right Now. Did everyone else who bought a car in the past 20 years just buy off the lot? Did everyone say I want a red one and when told it'll take 2 weeks to ship a red one from the other side of the country, just say oh well I guess I'll take the silver one then? I get that I'm pretty out of touch but it just sounds like it's everyone's first day in here.
And yeah I drove that Miata to work in the snow uphill both ways, and gas cost a nickel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you believe a word a dealer tells you you're a sucker

you got the car you wanted, didn't you? most OEMs can handle an assembly-lead custom order

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you believe a word a dealer tells you you're a sucker

you got the car you wanted, didn't you? most OEMs can handle an assembly-lead custom order

I leased a car based on monthly payment cost at the ripe old age of 22, so I was absolutely a sucker! But yeah exactly, I just did the elon where's my tesla bit only on the phone until it eventually showed up. I get people might think, well times have changed old man, buying cars is different now! But it sure doesn't sound like it. Why would it be?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Finger Prince posted:

I leased a car based on monthly payment cost at the ripe old age of 22, so I was absolutely a sucker! But yeah exactly, I just did the elon where's my tesla bit only on the phone until it eventually showed up. I get people might think, well times have changed old man, buying cars is different now! But it sure doesn't sound like it. Why would it be?

the whole thing with tesla is that they are Revolutionizing The Car Buying Experience

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the whole thing with tesla is that they are Revolutionizing The Car Buying Experience

The Car Buying experience, but not the Car Delivery experience. Which is kind of like the Seinfeld rental car agency bit, I admit.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I ordered a Model 3 yesterday because my current commuter car is 14 years old with almost 240,000 miles on it. The Tesla website said the lead time on the cars was 8-12 weeks but they texted me today (about 24 hours after the order) that the car was ready and I could choose a time to pick it up on the weekend. I haven't even gotten their trade in offer or anything else done and don't even need the car until the lockdown is over. I was kind of stunned and gave up the car coming in to switch my delivery date to a month from now. Did I just happen to get a cancelled order or are Model 3s sitting unsold now?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Yuns posted:

I ordered a Model 3 yesterday because my current commuter car is 14 years old with almost 240,000 miles on it. The Tesla website said the lead time on the cars was 8-12 weeks but they texted me today (about 24 hours after the order) that the car was ready and I could choose a time to pick it up on the weekend. I haven't even gotten their trade in offer or anything else done and don't even need the car until the lockdown is over. I was kind of stunned and gave up the car coming in to switch my delivery date to a month from now. Did I just happen to get a cancelled order or are Model 3s sitting unsold now?

Maybe what you ordered matched something they had in inventory? Not sure if their system works that way though

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Maybe what you ordered matched something they had in inventory? Not sure if their system works that way though
I'm sure you're right. I had always assumed that there was such high demand and limited factory capacity that they were running very limited inventory.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Sometimes for whatever reason they have new inventory that wasn't made to match an order. No one seems to really know how or why it gets made. That's how the first round of "stealth" performance Model 3s got made. They made a small batch of LR RWD Model 3s last year after it was discontinued too.

Xel
Jan 21, 2003

If you ever played the game Production Line it makes a lot of sense. Probably it was on the right line to get painted red but they ran out of red paint for a few cycles so you end up with a black Model 3.

Getting an EV is a magical thing. Congratulations to all goons getting a Tesla or otherwise, plugging in your car is just cool.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I ordered my Seat back in February with an estimated delivery date of 01.09.2020 and i've gotten an "well, might take a bit longer because of the 'roni lol" letter from them and i'm just so loving ready to get a loving EV.
I shouldn't be mad because not getting the new car means i can still drive my Miata in the summer but its a new thing and i want it now

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Late last year Seat Mii Electric were sold for such a cheap price they estimate deliveries will take couple years. Over 600 orders. Last year 697 Tesla Model 3s were sold.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Can you not get the identical Skoda or VW?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The Skoda and the VW are a bit more expensive so i figured i'll take the Seat and save a couple of bucks. I also don't think they are that much more available. If i don't hear a new date by the time of the old date i'll give them a call and maybe ditch them for something else if they can't even give me an estimate.
With the recently increased incentives a couple of bigger cars gotten into the same price range as the Seat so its no big loss.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

gwrtheyrn posted:

Just as likely someone refused delivery so it went back into inventory. Be wary because there's been a couple times a Model 3 was denied and/or returned more than once and bounced around multiple owners prior to final sale.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I had a perfectly average buying experience with Tesla last year. Placed the order, got an email a few days later from a human, then a text about a a week or so later to schedule the appointment, arrived at the Littleton CO center with the M3 waiting out front two weeks after that. I went inside and gave the person the keys for the trade in, signed a few documents and left, took maybe 30 minutes total. YMMV however.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Jymmybob posted:

Just as likely someone refused delivery so it went back into inventory. Be wary because there's been a couple times a Model 3 was denied and/or returned more than once and bounced around multiple owners prior to final sale.
Thanks for the heads up. I've been watching videos about Model 3 issues so that I can do an educated walk around to check for common QC and other issues before accepting delivery. (I also mistakenly joined some Tesla Owner FB groups to learn more which was a huge mistake. Oh god the irrational fanboyism)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Charles posted:

Conversely if you bought a Honda v6 automatic you'd be unhappy, same if you have one of the current 1.5L Earth Dreams turbo. 🤷🏻‍♂️

All these were manuals. My wife had the V6 Accord (2000) and yeah, lovely Automatic.

Me? All my cars have been manuals. And my parent’s ‘75 Accord was also the 5-speed.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

gwrtheyrn posted:

All I'm hearing is don't buy cars with sunroofs

Not if you’re over 6’ tall.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

Not if you’re over 6’ tall.

Fortunately I am very average in height and don't have to worry about pesky things like head and leg room

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yuns posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I've been watching videos about Model 3 issues so that I can do an educated walk around to check for common QC and other issues before accepting delivery. (I also mistakenly joined some Tesla Owner FB groups to learn more which was a huge mistake. Oh god the irrational fanboyism)

Honestly it’s not a bad idea to go through the insane group and subreddits. They very openly talk about lot of dumb poo poo / faults they overlook because they love the car.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Xel posted:

Getting an EV is a magical thing. Congratulations to all goons getting a Tesla or otherwise, plugging in your car is just cool.

This is true.

Funny how relaxed we're getting about the Bolt's state of charge now that we've had it for a few months.

VideoGameVet posted:

Me? All my cars have been manuals. And my parent’s ‘75 Accord was also the 5-speed.

Same. My F250 is the only exception. Been a long time since I've driven a manual split axle truck and while I enjoyed the challenge of driving it well I'm pretty sure I don't want one for towing.

One thing I've noticed with the Bolt is that now that you no longer need to be concerned about shift points and power bands you have more attention to devote to situational awareness. Nice if you have to regularly turn left onto a four lane highway with no traffic light. Push pedal -> launch car -> avoid idiots. I like it.

Still have a problem with my brake pedal foot twitching. Also had another one of those "ohno the engine's stalled" moments at the stop sign waiting to get onto the highway. Apparently the transition is going to take a while.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Just a quick update. After delaying delivery to August, Tesla texted me asking me to change my mind and offering a free year of supercharging if I take delivery before June 30th. It's an open offer to any Model 3 buyers who take delivery before June 30th. Looks like they are trying to make quarter end numbers.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Honestly it’s not a bad idea to go through the insane group and subreddits. They very openly talk about lot of dumb poo poo / faults they overlook because they love the car.
I'll take your advice and go through them although apparently if you suggest that maybe it would be nice to have a separate climate/temperature switch in the Model 3 instead of using the screen it makes you a Luddite devil.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Yuns posted:

Just a quick update. After delaying delivery to August, Tesla texted me asking me to change my mind and offering a free year of supercharging if I take delivery before June 30th. It's an open offer to any Model 3 buyers who take delivery before June 30th. Looks like they are trying to make quarter end numbers.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yeah, regardless of whether you think the M3 quality is better after 3 years of production or whatever, I wouldn't touch anything manufactured after the shutdown up through now.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Texted my sales advisor today and sounds like the Model 3 they tracked down for me will arrive at the delivery center on the 28th. So my delivery day should be some time after that, I'll be going over the car with a microscope checking everything once I get there.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

End of quarter can be an interesting time to buy a Tesla, heh.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
It finally happened:

Its forcing me to run the engine :(. Well in 24 hours anyways. It appears to let you postpone it for 24 hours.

I do still have the same half a tank of gas I had in January. I might end up seeing Fuel Maintenance mode at this rate.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

stevewm posted:

It finally happened:

Its forcing me to run the engine :(. Well in 24 hours anyways. It appears to let you postpone it for 24 hours.

I do still have the same half a tank of gas I had in January. I might end up seeing Fuel Maintenance mode at this rate.

It's probably better to run the engine and keep the fuel fresh so that it works when you need it.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Wibla posted:

End of quarter can be an interesting time to buy a Tesla, heh.

The problem being it is kind of hard to not buy a Tesla during the end of a quarter in the US, because it seems like that is the only time they sell any. Maybe when the gigafactory Berlin goes live they will actually start selling cars in the US during months other than March, June, September and December.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

stevewm posted:

It finally happened:

:same: got mine a couple of weeks ago. Wild that I haven't put gas in since February. Just turns the engine on for 5 mins like it's in range extender mode at a stop light to let oil circulate and burn off some old gas. If you punch it hard enough the engine even takes over.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

I had a perfectly average buying experience with Tesla last year. Placed the order, got an email a few days later from a human, then a text about a a week or so later to schedule the appointment, arrived at the Littleton CO center with the M3 waiting out front two weeks after that. I went inside and gave the person the keys for the trade in, signed a few documents and left, took maybe 30 minutes total. YMMV however.

I ordered my Model 3 (LR AWD) on a Friday evening last March and took delivery 5 days later from the Tesla showroom.

I didn't have any problems with Tesla during the purchasing process and I haven't had any problems with the car since then.

Details (if anyone cares):
  • Order Placed: Friday, March 22nd, 2019, at 5pm
  • Left With Car: Wednesday, March 27th, 2019, at 3pm

MrPablo fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 24, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

stevewm posted:

It finally happened:

Do it while you drive, it'll be done in like 2 minutes. Happened to me for the first time earlier this month.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Godholio posted:

Do it while you drive, it'll be done in like 2 minutes. Happened to me for the first time earlier this month.

Yeah it will make me do it tomorrow when I leave for work. Only a 10 minute drive.. so it should finish by then if it only takes a couple of minutes.

Edit:

Goodbye achievement. :(

stevewm fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 24, 2020

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Is there any place I can contact regarding Tesla issues? I purchased FSD back in 2018 when I took delivery. The service people say that i never paid for FSD despite the vehicle sheet and bank statements confirming the total price. They're dragging their feet. Who should I escalate to?

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
I got a 2019 Audi E-tron this week. It took nearly 30 days of bargaining with multiple dealers, being treated like I was the scum of the earth for asking for any sort of price reduction, playing endless mind games, having a porter at the dealer crash (and total) the first E-tron while I was there to pick it up, and probably wasting 100 hours of my time I'll never get back but it's here.

Thoughts:
* It's very fun to drive and moves like a scalded cat while making weird space ship noises.
* It is exceptionally German. The MMI is very confusing and is very buggy. The first few days it wouldn't charge because it thought it should only charge for an hour a day on Saturdays. Changing the settings wouldn't take place until I "rebooted" the car. The charge port locks the charger in and won't release it until you both unlock the door and press the close charge door button.
* Lane keep and adaptive cruise are good. Though it did slam on the brakes on a rural road because it saw a school zone 25mph sign and thought it needed to drop speed down to 25mph. Hopefully there is a way to disable adjusting adaptive cruise based on road signs. It also slammed on the brakes on a straight road because it thought we were in an intersection?
* The fit and finish is really good, as you'd expect out of an $80,000 car.
* It is huge. It looks like a Q5 from afar but it is absolutely gigantic. The XC90 it is replacing is only an inch larger in each dimension.
* It rolls backwards on hills, even with the hill hold and crawl engaged. I have a steep driveway and the second you let off the gas the car starts rolling backwards. This is exacerbated because it's so heavy.

Ultimately I probably should have just gotten a Model Y but I didn't want to deal with the fit and finish problems.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

lostleaf posted:

Is there any place I can contact regarding Tesla issues? I purchased FSD back in 2018 when I took delivery. The service people say that i never paid for FSD despite the vehicle sheet and bank statements confirming the total price. They're dragging their feet. Who should I escalate to?

What does your Tesla invoice say (from when you bought it)?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Wibla posted:

What does your Tesla invoice say (from when you bought it)?

It says FSD with the additional $3k on the total

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Anyone have a BI account?

https://twitter.com/lopezlinette/status/1275827103318114304?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

lostleaf posted:

It says FSD with the additional $3k on the total

Then just send them that and ask if you need to post the invoice on twitter with Elon tagged to get poo poo sorted.