Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Captain Invictus posted:

We got scenes with hamsters and a rodent city scene so I'm already satisfied

Did the Rescue Rangers movie fall through? They had an unnamed appearance in the new DuckTales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This was a dumb post on reflection

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I already think this game looks wonderful, but is the cat is customizable it'll be perfect.

I want to play as a cat who looks exactly like my cat :3:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DoctorWhat posted:

Watch Castle of Cagliostro right the gently caress now.

I've never really been interested in Lupin to be honest. I'm more so just interested in the art style of the CG Lupin movie lol. It looks so good.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

teagone posted:

I've never really been interested in Lupin to be honest. I'm more so just interested in the art style of the CG Lupin movie lol. It looks so good.

I don't care, watch Cagliostro. It's good for you, eat your vegetables.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Castle of Cagliostro is just a good movie, though. Little rushed and kind of goofy on the ending but like, whatever, its a good time.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Hedrigall posted:

I like your idea for Anarcats, it can be a rebootquel about a bunch of purrletariat cats taking over and squatting in the home of the pawgeoise Aristocats

Why did the revolutionary pigeons never get anything done?

They just sat around all day saying “coup, coup.”

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Castle is the only bit of Lupin III that I’ve ever watched.

It’s fairly good standalone (it’s a Miyazaki flick, so duh), but I remember reading how some fans of the overarching Lupin III franchise thought that it was one of the wimpier interpretations of the titular character.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Regalingualius posted:

It’s fairly good standalone (it’s a Miyazaki flick, so duh), but I remember reading how some fans of the overarching Lupin III franchise thought that it was one of the wimpier interpretations of the titular character.

Lupin III is generally an absolute cad who hits on everyone, and Fujiko Mine a regular double-crossing seductress, he's a lot tamer in the castle, though I suspect from the dialogue that Lupin and Mine are meant to be much older versions that mellowed out/taken a long hard look at their life.

Though more familiar with the original Arsene Lupin stories joke the reason Lupin doesn't hit on the countess is because he realize she would be his cousin thanks to his grandfather knocking up the original countess.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Castle of Cagliostro is on Netflix. I will watch it tonight :)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the dub is the old one where for copyright reasons at the time they had to call Lupin "Wolf"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

teagone posted:

Castle of Cagliostro is on Netflix. I will watch it tonight :)

It's one of my favorite anime movie, hope you like it!

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, the movie works best if you know nothing about Lupin, and if you do just pretend it's a different character.

Like I said, I love the movie, but the Lupin in it is radically different from the original version of the character and the one that appears in most other iterations of him. But this version of Lupin (and Fujiko Mine) works fine with the tone of the rest of the movie so I really don't see it as a problem.

Robindaybird posted:

Lupin III is generally an absolute cad who hits on everyone, and Fujiko Mine a regular double-crossing seductress, he's a lot tamer in the castle, though I suspect from the dialogue that Lupin and Mine are meant to be much older versions that mellowed out/taken a long hard look at their life.

Though more familiar with the original Arsene Lupin stories joke the reason Lupin doesn't hit on the countess is because he realize she would be his cousin thanks to his grandfather knocking up the original countess.

Bold of them to assume Lupin isn't the kind of guy who would absolutely have sex with his cousin if she was hot.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You know how as a child you can watch the same movie every day? I can do that and have done that with Castle of Cagliostro.

You'll also find it referenced in all sorts of other animated movies, shows, and video games after watching it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i figure the Cagliostro fatigue is part it lacking the edge of other Lupins, but also just always being the one pushed first into people's laps (for understandable reasons, but still).

definitely prefer Lupin to be like Part 1, Secret of Mamo, or the Koike/Yamamoto stuff as far as recent Lupin goes.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What is the essential Lupin? All I’ve seen is the Miyazaki film.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I don't know the first thing about Lupin, but based on all the chatter on this here thread I'm now watching Cagliostro.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

dogsicle posted:

i figure the Cagliostro fatigue is part it lacking the edge of other Lupins, but also just always being the one pushed first into people's laps (for understandable reasons, but still).

definitely prefer Lupin to be like Part 1, Secret of Mamo, or the Koike/Yamamoto stuff as far as recent Lupin goes.

Have you seen the CG movie yet? If so, any good?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What is the essential Lupin? All I’ve seen is the Miyazaki film.

If you have a Crunchyroll account, you're pretty set. Part 1 is a Miyazaki show, where he's in the green suit. Easily the most classic. Part 2 is the red suit era. It's a bit goofier and the longest. This aired on Adult Swim back in the day and most of it has an official dub. It's kinda like a more adult aimed Inspector Gadget. Part 3 is the pink suit era. Also good. Just kinda changes with the times. The intro is very city pop.

A Woman Named Fujiko Mine and the other couple I can't remember the names to are kinda reboots, animated to resemble the manga in look and tone. The manga is edgier and Lupin is way more of a sleezier character. I don't think these are on Crunchyroll anymore.

Part 4 and 5 are from the modern era and generally less episodic and more interconnected arcs taking place in France and Italy rather than globespanning like the other shows.

Secret of Mamo is basically Cagliostro's sister film. Much more psychedelic and sci-fi.

Other than that, there's a zillion other movies to varying degrees of quality. Just watch whatever you get access to. They're fun. There's even a couple Detective Conan crossover movies.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

teagone posted:

I don't think it's even out yet, COVID has delay a lot of thing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

teagone posted:

since GKIDS announced the license i just figured i would wait for the theatrical release. expecting it to be a lighter thing but i'm mostly just interested in it for the animation style

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yes. This is the best joke in the show.

It's so loving random and you don't expect it.

It's kind of like the "Remember kids, the real monster is diabetes!" joke from Hotel Transylvania 2 that Sony removed from the home release because of two stupid soccer moms that bitched that they were offended. It was literally just TWO people and no one else until those two people.

I am still very upset about this.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The Harley Quinn show kind of comes across as desperate at times, and the Penguin episode in the first season leans very hard on Jewish stereotypes, but it has its moments.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I want to be friends with King Shark

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Macaluso posted:

A very valid and understandable sentiment.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Me too.

Hell I'd hang out with all of the people currently in Harley's crew.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I've heard good things about Cagliostro but how does it stack up as a Lupin movie in general? I'm aware of the mythos and characters but I don't think I've ever actually watched any Lupin material personally

Also if someone were to start watching the series for the first time, is there a recommended viewing order or does each anime series more or less stand on its own?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Me too.

Hell I'd hang out with all of the people currently in Harley's crew.

Really? Even Dr. Psycho?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Larryb posted:

I've heard good things about Cagliostro but how does it stack up as a Lupin movie in general? I'm aware of the mythos and characters but I don't think I've ever actually watched any Lupin material personally

Also if someone were to start watching the series for the first time, is there a recommended viewing order or does each anime series more or less stand on its own?

Each of the classic series stands up as its own. Its entirely episodic and you pick it up fast. Lupin is the thief, Jigen is his right hand man/marksman, Goemon is an anachronistic samurai, Fujiko is Lupin's lover/femme fatale who betrays him 90% of the time, and Zenigata is the bumbling INTERPOL agent tasked with arresting Lupin. That's all you need to know.

The first series doesn't have Goemon for a bit, and he's actually introduced as an enemy of Lupin and doesn't join for a while.

The first episode of series 2 features a villain in the first season, but it shows flashbacks, and isn't exactly hard stuff to follow. I'd say watch series 1 or 2 to start with. Series 1 is pretty short. Series 2 is a bit more comical.

There's no real viewing order. It's more old school than that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

paradoxGentleman posted:

Really? Even Dr. Psycho?

Hell no. He's hilarious but also a really, really awful person. Also, spoiler for Season 2 of Harley Quinn:

Dr. Psycho also isn't in the crew anymore. He dropped out as of episode 8 of Season 2 and after what he's done in the last four episodes or so, no one is gonna miss him and I'm pretty sure he's going to die..

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
To my fellow Canadians, Netflix is finally getting the entire Studio Ghibli filmography (barring Grave of the Fireflies and The Wind Rises) on Thursday and anyway I thought that was worth sharing. Now you have no excuse to not see Porco Rosso.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Or Pom Poko

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Hedrigall posted:

Or Pom Poko

Watching this with friends who are going in blind is incredible.

Its also an incredible piece of animation and really fun at times but I will never forget the viewing experience of watching it in the dorm with a dozen friends who'd never seen it before.

balls. Also, I just was not expecting that as a Westerner but it did teach me something

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Barudak posted:

Castle of Cagliostro is just a good movie, though. Little rushed and kind of goofy on the ending but like, whatever, its a good time.

lol i just watched this based on recommendation of the thread, when the hands of the clocktower met each other :stare:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

YggiDee posted:

To my fellow Canadians, Netflix is finally getting the entire Studio Ghibli filmography (barring Grave of the Fireflies and The Wind Rises) on Thursday and anyway I thought that was worth sharing. Now you have no excuse to not see Porco Rosso.

Wind Rises is getting added Aug 1.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

lol i just watched this based on recommendation of the thread, when the hands of the clocktower met each other :stare:

:same: when I watched it yesterday

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

New Glen Keane feature looks super cute :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26DIABx44Tw

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The trailer takes a real turn in the last few seconds haha. I wonder how much is actually produced in China? I know that Dreamworks yeti movie was supposedly a co-production with Pearl, but in the credits it seemed they only did some concept art and matte painting, and everything else was done in California.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I didn't realize Glen Keane was also the director :downs:

Ccs posted:

The trailer takes a real turn in the last few seconds haha.

Yuuup, lmao. Got an actual "holy poo poo, what is going on" out of me.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

My first thought was "Man, I don't wanna wait 'til fall!"

Then I remembered it's the time warp year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm late to Lupin chat but: watch Part 2 and watch the Koike stuff

Part 2 is just one of those things where, especially with the dub, I can throw on any random episode and just instantly be in a way better mood

The Koike movies (Gravestone of Daisuke Jigen, Goemon Ishikawa's Spray of Blood, Fujiko Mine's Lie) are... exactly what you'd expect from the guy who did Redline making Lupin movies. They all whip serious rear end and Spray of Blood is pretty solidly up there on the "prettiest anime movies" list.