Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

It would be a shame for this thread to die right when we're just figuring out the Peanuts Conspiracy.

I'm on the Discord, and I'll do what I can to keep this going wherever we wind up. You guys have been great to chat with for years now, and I don't want to lose that.

I think it's just in the last year or so that something has shifted on the SA forums and it feels more like a community than it has in a long time, to me at least. Maybe even ever. Something very special is going on on these dead forums and they should continue to exist.

F Minus

Glower Power

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Man The Phantom has been awesome and crazy lately.

Pooch Cafe

Popeye's Cartoon Club double post because I either missed yesterday's or it updated late.

Both of these are good.

Rex Morgan MD

"Who wants more dirty dishwater?"

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

FYI it's a common and recommended practise to leave your baby to nap outside. Breathing cool fresh air soothes them (they are otherwise well insulated so they don't freeze).

Selachian posted:

Smokey Stover 3/1/36

Disappointed to learn that the chief was a Klaner. :mad:

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Will keep posting until the ship goes down
Bloom County
November 23rd & 24th, 1981

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Another lurker reporting in to just say thanks you to everyone who's been posting old and new comics. As someone who did not grow up with them (except the classics like Calvin, Peanuts or Garfield) it has been interesting to read the mishmash of ages, stories and contexts being provided here. You guys do a really good job of livening up those stories, and I'd be sad if the thread stopped - but then again, I think I'd try to adapt to a new format. The forum news are just awful in every way and I feel a bit sick for supporting this state of things, truth be told. But I am sticking here, for now.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jiru posted:

Another lurker reporting in to just say thanks you to everyone who's been posting old and new comics. As someone who did not grow up with them (except the classics like Calvin, Peanuts or Garfield) it has been interesting to read the mishmash of ages, stories and contexts being provided here. You guys do a really good job of livening up those stories, and I'd be sad if the thread stopped - but then again, I think I'd try to adapt to a new format. The forum news are just awful in every way and I feel a bit sick for supporting this state of things, truth be told. But I am sticking here, for now.

I really feel like the forums are at a pivot point just like America in general, something is about to happen. It won't be the status quo. It will either be a significant improvement in a lot of ways or it will be very very bad

I hope we find another home that works like this place or new leadership

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I got lured over here from a Sluggo is Lit banner ad months back because nuNancy had popped up on Twitter. I'm a long-time comic strip/webcomic guy and somehow had NO idea this thread existed. It was like some kind of kids book, opening a magic door and discovering a whole world of new people who looked and sounded like me.

The whole forums are that way, really. It's amazing to pick up some random new interest, dig a bit and find a 5-year old, 10k-word OP written by someone with actual knowledge and interest in the topic, then thousands of posts on the topic. And at the end of THAT, every thread has a dozen people who know their poo poo and love answering questions. It's been my pleasure to have been one of those guys, from time to time, across a few threads.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I hope this saves the forums. I've never used Discord, I've saved the invite links for the BSS and the Retro FPS Discords just in case I have to move, but maybe I'm just too stuck in my ways, I just really like forums.

Anyway, here's Conan the Barbarian Jul. 16th- Jul. 22nd, 1979

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Vargo posted:

Also, I really hope someone scrapes these threads and uploads like an image archive, a lot of these comics, especially older ones, I skip when they're first posted and then go back and read them in batches.

Also, we've semi-accidentally created the largest amateur archive of newspapers strips spanning over literally 150 years, and I don't want that to be lost when Lowtax pulls the plug.

Maybe we can put them on a reliable host like Waffleimages.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
If I had to pick only one thread on all SA to preserve it'd be this one. Right now I'm just hoping no plug gets pulled before I'm off work and can read my backlog of comics on a not-tiny-phone-screen...

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

I love you all. Not like that, though.

Here, an example of Tad Dorgan's "Inside Sports", which I was planning to post.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

catlord posted:

I hope this saves the forums. I've never used Discord, I've saved the invite links for the BSS and the Retro FPS Discords just in case I have to move, but maybe I'm just too stuck in my ways, I just really like forums.
Save this one.

https://goondiscordnetwork.com

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Kennel posted:

Tauhid is chatting on the Discord server right now, btw.

Damnit I missed it. Very annoyed that I still have a job rn.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Before/if this thing goes tits up I'd like to thank everyone posting comics over the years. Can't even remember why I started but I've been lurking these threads for ages and I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of bad comics (and a few good ones).

thanks for all the memories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG1VIvldVJc

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Page 313!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Done, but I have no idea why this one. Is this in replacement of or in addition to the previous invite to the BSS Discord?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'd be careful, the GDN bot had all its information leaked to nazis who used it to harass users.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

New Popeye is good and I hope the guy who's been writing them gets to continue.

gently caress Lowtax.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I haven't really posted in these threads very actively for ages, but just in case everything burns down I thought I'd say thanks to everyone who's ever posted comics or edits here - these megathreads have been some of the most fun I've ever had on the internet, so thank you all! :tipshat:

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.

Potsticker posted:

I'd be careful, the GDN bot had all its information leaked to nazis who used it to harass users.

That was a different bot. They use the GDN bot in the Animal Crossing goons discord and haven't had any trouble with shitheads whatsoever.

And I'm just another lurker of this and previous comic strip threads who felt the need to pipe up and say thank you all for years of awesome comic strip posting! It's one of my favorite threads on SA.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I'm cautiously optimistic SA will stick around without Lowtax. If not, it's been a good run. The early 2000s taught me that spin-offs of dead forums are pretty sad places to hang out, so I'll likely skip whatever gets set up. Thanks for all the comics and making this the best thread on this website.

The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 25, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Professor Wayne posted:

Of course, the slugs worshipped their god out of fear, not love.

The caption on this comic has been changed! Originally, it was "Eeny-oony-wanah!", intended as a nonsense chant.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

catlord posted:

Done, but I have no idea why this one. Is this in replacement of or in addition to the previous invite to the BSS Discord?
If you're saving invites to different ones chances are good they're all there. But then I don't see the BSS one there so I don't know. It's just a link I came across that I found handy.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

How do his glasses stay up with no nose?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

You skip ahead a hundred pages of backlog to find a discord link and you're greeted w/ this. What the gently caress.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

If you're saving invites to different ones chances are good they're all there. But then I don't see the BSS one there so I don't know. It's just a link I came across that I found handy.

Ah, ok, thanks. Hopefully if the move there becomes totally inevitable that'll help me reconnect with other SA communities, it's just that here and the Early FPS Megathread are the two places I post the most so I saved them first.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

spookygonk posted:

How do his glasses stay up with no nose?

Terrible!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
been reading this megathread in all its iterations, since the very beginning. thanks for the memories, yall.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Gnoman posted:

The caption on this comic has been changed! Originally, it was "Eeny-oony-wanah!", intended as a nonsense chant.

It's also one of the ones involved in editor-related screw-ups. I dug out my old Far Side book....

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 25, 2022

STINK1985
Sep 4, 2007
Just wanted to join my fellow lurkers in thanking everyone who posted in this thread over the years. I've been following your comics & commentary for almost ten years now (!!!) and it's always been a highlight of my day. You all have been so generous with your time for the benefit of internet strangers like me and for that I'm so so grateful.

Hopefully it'll continue in one form or another, but in the mean time I had to take this opportunity to say thank you and wish you all the best. :)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Bobulus posted:

It's also one of the ones involved in editor-related screw-ups. I dug out my old Far Side book....

This one might be a screw-up too, we've already had one that had the wrong caption.

I do love when Far Side captions get mixed up. That treehouse one with the slug caption just works for me.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 25, 2022

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kennel posted:

Terrible!

:hmmyes:

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013
Lurkers decloak now!

Thanks, everybody. Been reading this thread on a previous reg since 2007, back in the blinking eye foob days.

Thanks everybody for turning me on to
Everett True
Dykes to Watch Out For
Bad Machinery (and all associates of it)
The Gilchrist abomination and meltdown and all THAT drama
Modesty Blaise
All the older comics
Petey Otterpoop and Alice
and Dorgs.

Especially dorgs.

I'll miss you all.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Someone here gifted me my avatar after I did an edit and I have always been grateful and I love this thread and all the stuff you post! I never could keep up but you were always bookmarked! See you round!

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery
Still holding out hope for a good outcome for the forums (user takeover? viable offsite replacement?), but regardless of what happens this is as good a time as any to express my appreciation for this delightful little community. Thanks especially to all the people who do the tedious work of actually posting comics so cranks like me can show up and yell about them. Love you all.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Just FYI Tauhid is now posting a few Crabgrass comics from the future in the Discord.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Late lurker here. I really enjoyed this thread even though I showed up late. Thanks you all for posting.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I 100% am too stupid to figure this out myself but if anyone is interested in heroically backing up the comic strip threads here's a tool that was linked in the mod thread to be shared around:

quote:

Fumblemouse wrote on Jun 25, 2020 11:59:
Sebmojo asked me to post this:

A while ago, some goon wrote a thread scraper for SA.

I forked the code and fixed the error messages, then did it again when chrome started hating on http connections or something. It's now the single thing I have available on github, because it would be rude not to let the orginal author know that somebody still loves his dead gay code:

https://github.com/Fumblemouse/SA-Archiving-Tool

To use:

Hit the big green Clone button and download it as a zip file.

Extract the zip file somewhere on your local hard drive.

In Chrome, go Settings -> More Tools -> Extensions and flick the Developer Mode switch on the top right.

There should now be an option to Load Unpacked on the left. Ignoring the untold comedy potential for that phrase, click the option and find the folder you extracted the zip to - by default, SA-Archiving-Tool-master. Select that folder and click the Open button.

All going well you should now have a hard-to-see SA icon on the chrome extension bar. If you visit a SA thread with a thread ID, eg https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3903748 the icon should now be clickable with a single option...Archive.

Click that link, and your local PC will think for a while, depending on your local tubespeed, then display a single page with the entire thread on it. CTRL+S or Rightclick Save As and save it whereever you want. WebPage, Complete will save images also.

Because nothing in life is easy, the saved page's HTML CSS tags refers to something set up by the chrome extension, so it will look a bit crappy in another browser or if you remove the extension. This can be fixed by changing the CSS reference in the Saved As HTML file to the files in the /archive folder from the extracted zipfile - or you could copy the /archive css files into the HTML file's folder and just have the tags as direct links to files (no folder references)

Go crazy!

I know a lot of legitimately valuable archival work has been done in these threads and if we end up needing to migrate it might be good to have those safe and on hand.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
I loved this stupid thread 💜

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
At one point a Far Side caption got mixed up with a Dennis the Menace comic, which caused a pretty funny result in the latter, if I remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Little Nemo in Slumberland November 26, 1905.

A Theme!