Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

How Wonderful! posted:

There's a BSS discord server now with a newspaper comics channel that hopefully could be pretty robust, but I'd also be interested in potentially joining a strip specific server too?

Holy poo poo thank you. I was extremely worried I'd lose the magic of this thread.

ukonvasara posted:

She was initially introduced (many years ago, in the strip's first incarnation) as "the most popular girl in high school", and despite several decades having passed is often lazily reduced back to the trappings of that, because Batiuk is a hack writer who sucks.

Ok, it's what I thought then.

Ghostlight posted:

I also read it as a physical assault, which makes sense not to depict, but I don't see why they would also shy away from naming it if the depiction alone was what they wanted to avoid or why include that implication in the first place if they couldn't address it even indirectly. Unless it's intended to be a misdirect for the audience, or she has further plans for Shaky.

He definitely punched her in the eye, hence the urgent demand for makeup, and her somewhat distorted face in the most recent strip (although that looks a bit inconsistent). I agree they're deflating the tension by not naming it as assault/battery over Harassment.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is whoever was responsible for the Surgeon's Tales in there? I'm afraid I've forgotten the user-name and I'm also very sleepy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I lied, cross-posting one more time:

My stance on this after sleeping on it:

I'm not leaving the forums; I want to see what the mods/admins/lowtax say about this. I will leave if nothing is done - but I'll post about it so if anyone wants to follow me or whatever I'll put up my discord. I recommend using an ad-blocker so you don't give lowtax more money by posting here.

e: https://www.rainn.org/

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Kavak posted:

I don't mean disrespect to anyone but Rae doesn't feel like it has anything going for it besides "Our cast is all LGBT!" There needs to be substance to representation.

That's because it doesn't.

EasyEW posted:

The Saint Lisa of Cancerwife Casting Call

First of all, :rolleyes:. Second of all, in the first strip, it looks like they're spitting into each others' mouths.

quote:

9 "Everyone In This Strip Wants To Be Pregnant RIGHT NOW" Lane

I guess other characters talking about how happy/tired Edda looks is easier than drawing us a panel of her looking happy/tired. Tell, don't show.

Have there been any strips that show Edda with her babies aside from the first one where she had them?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Turpitude II posted:

is anyone interested in a newspaper comics discord server or anything? seems like the forums' continued existence just got a little bit more tenuous (and even if lowtax doesn't shut down the forums themselves, i think it's fair to not want to support him by sticking around here)

How Wonderful! posted:

There's a BSS discord server now with a newspaper comics channel that hopefully could be pretty robust, but I'd also be interested in potentially joining a strip specific server too?

There's also breadnroses.net, which was designed to be an ultra-lefty SA replacement, there is a general comics thread there, but I'd love it if there was a newspaper comics replacement. I'm on there as "Jeff Coldbeer" but I haven't posted since February because it was actually kind of boring and had a lot of infighting (as any forum with Dickeye as a mod is wont to do). But if you're looking for something that best replicates the SA experience and don't want to join yet another Discord/Slack, that's your best bet.

As for me, you all know I'm @SchneidRemarks on Twitter and various other parts of the internet (Mastodon? Anyone gonna try to use Mastodon?)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Nov 15, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 8-9 1987)

Robbie and Bobby

(Mar 17, 2016)

(Jun 7, 202)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Vargo posted:

There's also breadnroses.net, which was designed to be an ultra-lefty SA replacement, there is a general comics thread there, but I'd love it if there was a newspaper comics replacement. I'm on there as "Jeff Coldbeer" but I haven't posted since February because it was actually kind of boring and had a lot of infighting (as any forum with Dickeye as a mod is wont to do). But if you're looking for something that best replicates the SA experience and don't want to join yet another Discord/Slack, that's your best bet.

Costs $10 and it looks like you can't even view/read anything without signing up? Are they deliberately trying to discourage people from joining?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I really wish the forums could just make a split from the front page, and leave lowtax with the front page nobody visits. (Or just chuck him out.)

Pretty sure the majority of the ~5600usd/mo the patreon pulls a month is for forums users wanting to support the forums, not lowtax.
It'll be sad to see this thread vanish, considering it's been a regular stop for me since before I joined SA, and was the reason I did. (loving hell, ~12+ years, now.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Can't believe the ultra-lefty place has infighting

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Tiggum posted:

Costs $10 and it looks like you can't even view/read anything without signing up? Are they deliberately trying to discourage people from joining?

Ohhhh wow, is that the case? I got in on like a beta, I was there for free. Don't loving pay for that, never mind.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I guess I'll continue to post during the migrations:

Adamn @ Home

BCN

Pheobe

Wallace

Curtis

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

They frequently give out free memberships via invites for this exact reason. Let me see if they’re still doing that.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i will never stop posting. you can't make me.

Mr. Boop

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Also, I really hope someone scrapes these threads and uploads like an image archive, a lot of these comics, especially older ones, I skip when they're first posted and then go back and read them in batches.

Also, we've semi-accidentally created the largest amateur archive of newspapers strips spanning over literally 150 years, and I don't want that to be lost when Lowtax pulls the plug.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Tiggum posted:

To be fair "actively trying to discourage people from joining by demanding money up-front" has been core to SA's moderation strategy for a long time. It probably works better when you can view threads for free, though.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

kidcoelacanth posted:

i will never stop posting. you can't make me.

Mr. Boop

Peter but not Quagmire? Well okay then.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I would definitely like for there to be a forum thread somewhere else or a discord to replace it. Checking this thread once a day is one of my favorite things, and I don't wanna lose it because Lowtax sucks.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

Thanks for this; it's been a trip seeing all the subforums and major threads setting up offsite parachutes and I'd really miss this thread if the forums went down.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, I too would like to have a better idea of what bread+roses looks like before shelling out $10.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Well, the recent news has certainly taken a turn. :( I'm on the BSS Discord and will hopefully come along for the ride if the thread ends up somewhere else. I don't post much but these forums have been a part of my life for 17 years, so I hope whatever happens works out okay for the whole community. This thread in particular has been a daily constant in my life for so long.

I had looked into Bread & Roses before, but I thought it was strictly for political chat, given the name.

Discendo Vox posted:

edit: I also just wanted to note the incredible quality of these val scans. Compare what beloved Medenmath gives us with something I found with google:

Once my ship comes in I'm definitely buying the full Val collection.

I don't do anything terribly special, other than try hard to get the page squared up well when I run the scan. Now I'll be doubly paranoid about getting it as close as possible :ohdear:

Anyway, for now at least I guess I'm going to keep posting these, so...

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 26, 1939)

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

Vargo posted:

Also, I really hope someone scrapes these threads and uploads like an image archive, a lot of these comics, especially older ones, I skip when they're first posted and then go back and read them in batches.

Also, we've semi-accidentally created the largest amateur archive of newspapers strips spanning over literally 150 years, and I don't want that to be lost when Lowtax pulls the plug.

This thread absolutely has a unique combination of comics that can't be found anywhere else and commentary. It would be a shame if it all vanished.
I don't really post much on account of having nothing of value to contribute, but I've been lurking for about as long as I've been on SA and this is my favourite thread.

A huge thank you to those of you who scan vintage comics, those of you who translate comics, and the intersection of both. And thanks to all of you who post every other comic -- good, bad, and tepid.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This thread has been a comfort and joy to me for literally years. I'll keep doing my little bit until the lights go out.

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (November 11, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (November 11, 1998)

Garfield Classic (November 11, 1988)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully if there is a mass exodus there'll be a new forum-esque site to go to. Sadly for me personally I doubt I'd enjoy most threads I follow in a discord chat format.

I can't say I'll miss all those strips where horny creeps gently caress constantly, but on the other hand I'll definitely miss all the comics where wholesome supportive partners gently caress constantly.

Thank you to everyone that contributed to make these threads awesome all these years.

Caramaline
Aug 4, 2006

Takin' a dirt nap with baby Jesus
I'd like to echo the thanks to everyone for all the posts and edits and everything. I almost never post, but I've been following this thread for years and it really is a part of my daily routine, having my morning coffee and reading the comics. I would be very sad to see it go. You all have introduced me to a lot great (and terrible) comics and reminded me of forgotten childhood favourites. Thank you!

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

readingatwork posted:

They clearly made a second attempt with Rerun. I mean just look at this kid. It's Goku/Goten levels of family resemblance here:

Also he's named freakin' RERUN, do I have to draw a map for you people!? Not sure how successful it was though since I haven't read a lot from that era.

Yah, but Rerun was a clear decline from Linus. He never displayed Linus' prodigy feats as an infant nor his intellectual abilities as an elementary age kid. Definite indication that the genome decays through cloning passes, and sexual reproduction is needed for a properly healthy genome.

(This is at least partially true, BTW. Clones don't live as long as their species on average.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pastry of the Year posted:

This thread has been a comfort and joy to me for literally years.

Same here. It must have been over a decade ago that I stumbled onto the old comic strip thread in GBS totally at random, back when it was still emerging from its Foob-only chrysalis, and I've considered it one of my "home threads" ever since.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Hopefully if there is a mass exodus there'll be a new forum-esque site to go to. Sadly for me personally I doubt I'd enjoy most threads I follow in a discord chat format.

I'm hoping that Discord will just be a way station -- a place for the various goon communities to stay in touch until a consensus is reached on what the hell to do next -- hopefully a new forum somewhere.

Wherever the coming days take us, I sincerely hope this thread can live on in some form. You folks rock. :unsmith:

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
I didn't find this thread until somewhere during last year, but it's since been the thing I read through during my lunch break every day. I've really only ever lurked in this thread, but I suppose there's no better time than the present to thank everyone for showing me all the wonderful comics I'd never known about and reminding me of the few I did read years ago back when I actually got newspapers.

Powered Descent posted:

I'm hoping that Discord will just be a way station -- a place for the various goon communities to stay in touch until a consensus is reached on what the hell to do next -- hopefully a new forum somewhere.

Wherever the coming days take us, I sincerely hope this thread can live on in some form. You folks rock. :unsmith:

I'm hoping for the same here. What I came to the site for doesn't really work outside of forum format, so I'm mostly hanging out in the channels until something gets decided.

This thread's been great and you're all great.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just want this thread community to stay together somewhere and keep posting old comics, and new comics. I'll be watching the discord. I hope Bread roses can become a new SA with all the myriad threads on myriad topics.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

This thread has been a comfort and joy to me for literally years. I'll keep doing my little bit until the lights go out.

Likewise.

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Okay gag but it really needed another editing pass.

Get Fuzzy 6/23/00

Brenda Starr 7/27/41

"My father was mentally ill, so I decided the sensible thing to do was hire a couple of thugs to sneak into the hospital, knock him out with ether, and abduct him while I took his place and pretended to be him."

And does this mean Brenda's hunt for a 6'6" spy with a monocle, slight limp, and a solid gold cane was supposed to be real?

Smokey Stover 3/1/36

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
I'm in the discord ready to bring you Garfield and Heathcliff until the sun burns out

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Rae the Doe

Not Your Senorita
May 25, 2007

Don't you recognize me? It's-a me, Mario!
Nap Ghost
Joining in with everyone else who never posts but wants to say thanks to everyone who's contributed to these threads over the years. I joined SA specifically to read them, and they're really the only things I do still read, which unfortunately has made me extremely ignorant about everything that's gone on until today. Ugh. Definitely hoping the thread can live on somewhere outside of SA, because the amount of effort everyone's put into making these threads great is ridiculous and it would suck to lose all of that.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
A mod has posted an encouraging post.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Dick

Duck

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Well poo poo, everything kinda exploded since the last time I looked. I don't want to lose this thread, it's a daily routine that keeps me sane, even if I'm posting mostly bad comics. I'm a weirdo who doesn't know how to use Discord really so can I PM my e-mail address to a regular here who would be able to let me know if the thread migrates somewhere else if the lights suddenly go out on the forums?

Maybe I'll just try to learn Discord too...

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

FrumpleOrz fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 24, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Pretty intense prank.

Man in Black

Not sure if this is "iris" pun, or something else.

Finnish-Swedes have two tongues (languages)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Tauhid is chatting on the Discord server right now, btw.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Here's hoping I get to finish out this story. gently caress Lowtax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Gods I hope so.