Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I don't mean disrespect to anyone but Rae doesn't feel like it has anything going for it besides "Our cast is all LGBT!" There needs to be substance to representation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Holbrook is going all-out gross today I see. "work from home reinbursement" shouldn't be a joke, and I don't even want to touch murder hell world

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Thanks. I guess I'm not as up on my Peanuts lore as I thought. I always figured that Lucy and Charlie Brown were the same age.

I believe Charlie Brown is currently four years old (just in case you thought Calvin acted too mature for his age). So in more current comics that would make him 12ish and Lucy 8, which more or less works. Linus is born when Lucy is around 3 though so that makes him 5 I guess?? Not going to even try to figure out how Rerun fits into all of this.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Peanuts is weird but it makes sense once you realize that the town is a giant government lab and that the cast are all failed super soldier prototypes that stop aging in early childhood. Most people don’t realize that’s what Shultz was going for but the clues are there if you know where to look for them.

*flips over chalkboard revealing a web of notes and photos connected with string*

Now, let me explain how Lucy is in on the whole thing. It starts with her participation in the MK Ultra program in the mid 60s...

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Boy, that looks appetizing.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Skippy (January 10-11, 1933)

Super Soldier Reject Holding Bin (featuring Good Ol' Charlie Brown) (June 25-26, 1973)

The Saint Lisa of Cancerwife Casting Call

Crankshaft

9 "Everyone In This Strip Wants To Be Pregnant RIGHT NOW" Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 21-22, 1937)

Out Our Way (August 16-18, 1934)

Life (With Skippy) (June 12, 1924)

Elsewhere In The Magazine (an abbreviated version):

(Alfred Frueh (another in the series "Not The Easiest Cartoonist Signature To Decipher The First Time"))

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

StrixNebulosa posted:

:sigh:

Knock Out is still beloved by the fandom though, and the IDW comics have canonically shown him married to his partner and in a loving relationship, so that was nice.
That comic series also went all in on the gay and even trans transformers by the end, which was nice, and I haven't kept current with the new IDW continuity but they start out from a position of having gay characters to start with. Arcee and Greenlight are married or what passes for it, and it's notable they both were in wlw relationships (with other people) in the previous continuity.

It's just nice to have queer characters accepted as a thing that doesn't need to be explained or overly commented on.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Kavak posted:

I don't mean disrespect to anyone but Rae doesn't feel like it has anything going for it besides "Our cast is all LGBT!" There needs to be substance to representation.
IMO it's bc it's still in the introduction phase - hi, my name is Rae, I'm a doe, here's my punk girlfriend, here are my friends, they eat garbage. There's no actual plot yet but it's just trying to establish who everyone is. There are smoother ways to handle the introduction phase - Bad Machinery gives everyone their own page and a look at their family life - but there's gonna be an introduction phase.

Full disclosure, I'm not sold on it yet either, but I'm waiting for things to actually happen to pass judgement.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Rae the Doe is chill and good.

Maybe I'm just used to it popping up on my TL once in a while as a treat.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 24, 2020

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

If the Evanses were trying to draw Dustin's dad, they didn't do a very good job.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Someone tell me, because I am not looking back at however many Funky strips to find out: is there any reason Mason’s girlfriend (wife?) is so incredibly jealous of all the women doing reads with him?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Green Intern posted:

Someone tell me, because I am not looking back at however many Funky strips to find out: is there any reason Mason’s girlfriend (wife?) is so incredibly jealous of all the women doing reads with him?

women

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Green Intern posted:

She was initially introduced (many years ago, in the strip's first incarnation) as "the most popular girl in high school", and despite several decades having passed is often lazily reduced back to the trappings of that, because Batiuk is a hack writer who sucks.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

:sigh:

Knock Out is still beloved by the fandom though, and the IDW comics have canonically shown him married to his partner and in a loving relationship, so that was nice.

Oh no, he's my favorite character, I just think the creators' reply was loving weird and phobic (somehow they didn't mention that maybe there was a glitch when Megatron was made, that's why he was so ruthless to loving raise the dead?). Even my nephew said it sounded bad (and Breakdown is his favorite character too).

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

this, and there have been some strips dedicated to her insecurities about being older than him as well

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i do wish Rae the Doe were a smidge better but also i post Garfield so Rae's going to have to really gently caress up for me to not post it

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zelda

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I think it's unlikely that Piscario is also intended as an antisemitic reference, for the simple reason that his cousin is depicted as good. I think we're just getting queer-panic-coded masculine antithetical counterpoint to the good cousin.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Ella Cinders Any guess at to who is going to win?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelling

edit: I also just wanted to note the incredible quality of these val scans. Compare what beloved Medenmath gives us with something I found with google:

Once my ship comes in I'm definitely buying the full Val collection.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 24, 2020

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm really curious to see a least a couple of the comics about Tove getting married(?) and pregnant

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

readingatwork posted:

Peanuts is weird but it makes sense once you realize that the town is a giant government lab and that the cast are all failed super soldier prototypes that stop aging in early childhood. Most people don’t realize that’s what Shultz was going for but the clues are there if you know where to look for them.

*flips over chalkboard revealing a web of notes and photos connected with string*

Now, let me explain how Lucy is in on the whole thing. It starts with her participation in the MK Ultra program in the mid 60s...
Oh, but the lynchpin of the whole thing is Snoopy, for whom it was partially successful. Amongst other things he can fly:

And has a doghouse with the capacity of a tardis:

As well as truly remarkable earning capacity - he could afford a Van Gogh! As a dog!

But unfortunately the genetic manipulation left him profoundly mentally disturbed:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

MariusLecter posted:

Rae the Doe is chill and good.

Maybe I'm just used to it popping up on my TL once in a while as a treat.
Yeah from my mashing of the 'random comic button', I get the impression it's geared towards people sharing it on twitter/etc as everyone goes 'heh' or 'yup I sure agree with this take' for 5 seconds before moving on.

2017 Spiderman

1978 Comics

Dick Tracy

BIRD GANG

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

PetraCore posted:

I gotta say, I know that's not what Foster meant, but in my heart Val is as bisexual as the day is long.

No one is gayer than this brave and manly prince.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I know the answer is probably "American masculinity" but I've never understood how dads in these kinds of dumb sitcom stories can grow to be in their 30s or 40s or whatever and not know a thing about basic cooking or cleaning.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Quick reminder: for those of you who want more Bobbinsverse adventures (and really, who wouldn't?) issue 2 of Wicked Things, the Lottie-centric miniseries, is out today!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I am completely lost at this point about what's going on with Shaky. Was he flirting with the actress, or getting paid? Why is he instantly stalking her such that the police are there to arrest him? What?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

curtadams posted:

Oh, but the lynchpin of the whole thing is Snoopy, for whom it was partially successful. Amongst other things he can fly:

And has a doghouse with the capacity of a tardis:

As well as truly remarkable earning capacity - he could afford a Van Gogh! As a dog!

But unfortunately the genetic manipulation left him profoundly mentally disturbed:

They clearly used human DNA to create him because over time he evolves to the point where he walks upright and becomes literate. Had the strip progressed for another 50 years I'm 98% certain that Snoopy would have become just another kid (albeit one that's still sleeps outside and isn't allowed in school for some reason).

Many of the kids were semi-successful actually. We've already seen that Schroeder is a professional level pianist despite being a literal infant. However did you know that Linus possesses a genius level intellect?:

I'm also pretty sure he has telekinesis:

Unfortunately he's also prone to violent outbursts (a side effect of living with Lucy most likely) which probably made him unworkable as an asset. Also all the Jesus stuff probably made his handlers super uncomfortable.

(there are like 20 comics of him doing this to people, particularly Lucy)

They clearly made a second attempt with Rerun. I mean just look at this kid. It's Goku/Goten levels of family resemblance here:

Also he's named freakin' RERUN, do I have to draw a map for you people!? Not sure how successful it was though since I haven't read a lot from that era.

Now that I think about it Charlie Brown himself must also have some terrible gift even he isn't aware of (something to do with talking to plants I think). I mean, why else would Lucy be working so hard to break his spirit? But alas, that's a post for another day.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 24, 2020

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Yeah from my mashing of the 'random comic button', I get the impression it's geared towards people sharing it on twitter/etc as everyone goes 'heh' or 'yup I sure agree with this take' for 5 seconds before moving on.
Like Garfield. Yeah that sounds about right.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

In today's Corto Maltese: That's rather in poor taste, Corto, or Slavin has a lot to say, or Pameolik wants to speak to his local representative

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

gently caress off, Dethany, Fi is just doing her job properly. Reading between the lines, it's less that Fi's making everyone jump through hoops, and more that she's just making sure everyone has filled out the correct paperwork to get paid.

Oh, NOW you're asking if she has family left.

This is some prime Holbrook morality bullshit. He's trying to paint skinning other people as something completely terrible, but it only makes you question why murdering and cannibalizing another person isn't considered the same. Hell, just a few strips ago, this weasel was considering the gopher as food and the hedgehog was offering her refrigerated corpses of insects as a substitute.

Imagine being one of the actresses in this set. Your agent told you this might be a good role and lets you co-star with this hot action star. You get on the set on time, like the true pro you are. You then do your best performance with the lovely script you’re saddled with while a creepy man on the back keeps looking at you like a piece of meat and muttering about your looks. And then in comes the actress that the executive producer co-starred with, and he goes on and on about how she was his pick for the role from the start.

And just as a reminder, this whole thing is a farce to trick Les into accepting this actress for the role of St. Lisa:

I don't even loving understand why everyone is putting so much effort into appeasing Les, especially when he's done nothing but act like an unhelpful whiny manchild.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Discendo Vox posted:

I am completely lost at this point about what's going on with Shaky. Was he flirting with the actress, or getting paid? Why is he instantly stalking her such that the police are there to arrest him? What?
She was using him as a resource for her role with the promise of a cameo in the movie. She was a bit flirty and he obviously decided the attention meant she wanted to bone him. I don't know why he's instantly stalking her - he very quickly went from her turning down their usual dinner because she had to work, doing a burglary for money he desperately needed despite never mentioning before, then to here where he's apologising to her for something we didn't see him do that that was apparently criminal harassment but our only clue is that her mascara was messed up at the end of their last meeting.

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
is anyone interested in a newspaper comics discord server or anything? seems like the forums' continued existence just got a little bit more tenuous (and even if lowtax doesn't shut down the forums themselves, i think it's fair to not want to support him by sticking around here)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ATTACK AND DETHRONE LOWTAX. Free the forums, literally the only good part of SA.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
gently caress lowtax free the forums

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And whose job is it to provide the manual, huh

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Turpitude II posted:

is anyone interested in a newspaper comics discord server or anything? seems like the forums' continued existence just got a little bit more tenuous (and even if lowtax doesn't shut down the forums themselves, i think it's fair to not want to support him by sticking around here)

There's a BSS discord server now with a newspaper comics channel that hopefully could be pretty robust, but I'd also be interested in potentially joining a strip specific server too?

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 24, 2020

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

She was using him as a resource for her role with the promise of a cameo in the movie. She was a bit flirty and he obviously decided the attention meant she wanted to bone him. I don't know why he's instantly stalking her - he very quickly went from her turning down their usual dinner because she had to work, doing a burglary for money he desperately needed despite never mentioning before, then to here where he's apologising to her for something we didn't see him do that that was apparently criminal harassment but our only clue is that her mascara was messed up at the end of their last meeting.

To me it seemed obvious that the dinners had turned into a physical relationship and that Shaky's response to her brushing him off was to punch her in the face, but the comic didn't feel that sort of thing was appropriate for a family newspaper audience so it was implied rather than outright shown.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

How Wonderful! posted:

There's a BSS discord server now with a newspaper comics channel that hopefully could be pretty robust, but I'd also be interested in potentially joining a strip specific server too?

Is it named FOOB Appreciation Station? 😝

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

NRVNQSR posted:

To me it seemed obvious that the dinners had turned into a physical relationship and that Shaky's response to her brushing him off was to punch her in the face, but the comic didn't feel that sort of thing was appropriate for a family newspaper audience so it was implied rather than outright shown.
I also read it as a physical assault, which makes sense not to depict, but I don't see why they would also shy away from naming it if the depiction alone was what they wanted to avoid or why include that implication in the first place if they couldn't address it even indirectly. Unless it's intended to be a misdirect for the audience, or she has further plans for Shaky.