Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

i am trying with all my might to not post what i'm thinking and feeling right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Sharkie posted:

i am trying with all my might to not post what i'm thinking and feeling right now.

:justpost: like really what is the worst that could happen

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Phi230 posted:

Does anyone know if that journo at Vice is doing a followup about this saga? They reported on the FYAD chuds before once or twice and I think this is even bigger.
oh yeah but as a good communist i have my own spies and agents in various places and they're telling me the editors are like "wait until the site is dead"

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BULBASAUR posted:

i will never stop posting

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Glad she's getting out, I honestly thought she might end up going back after the Facebook video.

Mad props to Literally a Bird.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

BULBASAUR posted:

i will never stop posting

amen brother

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

twoday posted:

Try not to panic, everyone. Just do your best to stay in contact with the body of posters you like. Join discords, offsites. PM your posting pals. There are many links being posted in various subforums. As long as the community is more or less in coherent and complete pieces we will figure out a way to move forward. Try to be patient, it may not happen overnight. SA is more than lowtax, and more than the ramshackle code we are using right now. Don’t worry, we will work it out somehow.

im not gonna do the discord thing but i follow at least a few of you on twitter, twitter handle is my name, see yall when this shakes out.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Phi230 posted:

Does anyone know if that journo at Vice is doing a followup about this saga? They reported on the FYAD chuds before once or twice and I think this is even bigger.

yeah they are. i DMed him asking if he knew about it and he said 5 people already messaged him and he's looking into it lol

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Mods, please play this in the background of this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIscL-Bjsq4

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Finicums Wake posted:

yeah they are. i DMed him asking if he knew about it and he said 5 people already messaged him and he's looking into it lol

lmao

and I'm saying that as an editor and writer

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Mods, please play this in the background of this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIscL-Bjsq4

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

LAB it too good for us Ill miss her birds.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
new announcement

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

new announcement

It's pretty cool to release an announcement to say nothing. Well, I suppose confirming Logan got/is getting out is something big as not everyone will have seen that. Still. It almost feels like admins & mods just like secrecy for secrecy's sake.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

nikosoft posted:

I don't know about you all, but I'm trying to think through what it would be like to just step away from everything completely. I've spent over 20 years on stuff like POE, metafilter, or SA, and while I appreciate having a community that doesn't seem to exist in the same way offline, maybe it's healthier to give it all up and find different pursuits.

If you stop posting lowtax wins

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

It's pretty cool to release an announcement to say nothing. Well, I suppose confirming Logan got/is getting out is something big as not everyone will have seen that. Still. It almost feels like admins & mods just like secrecy for secrecy's sake.

Yeah definitely reads like they're trying to cook up a slapped together forum so they can hold dominion over it
Also makes sense why they haven't stepped down - they have access to forums-wide communique. That's a valuable asset when trying to set up your fiefdom

Explains why Reene felt it necessary so silence some folks

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

forkboy84 posted:

It's pretty cool to release an announcement to say nothing. Well, I suppose confirming Logan got/is getting out is something big as not everyone will have seen that. Still.
that is the #1 most important thing

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

forkboy84 posted:

haha they've been like that forever, why would they change now during the end of days

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

that is the #1 most important thing

archive and leak the mod forums

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

ill translate the annoucement: we need you to update your email because its likely any neoSA successor site will be sent to you there

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

There are probably legitimate reasons not to make concrete-but-incomplete plans public til they're ready to go but yeah it's frustrating. (For them as well, I'm sure!)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

it's very nice and good that Renee (and others) are updating the forums regularly.

forkboy84 posted:

there's pretty good reason for secrecy when this involves legal issues and minors and businesses and money etc. you can't just take over someone's business, even when they're a shithead, unfortunately

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

ill translate the annoucement: we need you to update your email because its likely any neoSA successor site will be sent to you there

Harvesting the e-mail list of this forum for personal use is definitely not cool/legal. They'd be wise not to gently caress with PII but they are not wise

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Crusty Nutsack posted:

there's pretty good reason for secrecy when this involves legal issues and minors and businesses and money etc. you can't just take over someone's business, even when they're a shithead, unfortunately

yup

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Sometimes I forget the revolution hasn't come and we can't just expropriate the means of producing shitposts. Alas.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
why not simply leave a trail of ambien from his doorstep into a large cage, or pit.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Sharkie posted:

why not simply leave a trail of ambien from his doorstep into a large cage, or pit.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

So that's why walking away, for us right now, is not an option. If we actually worked for Lowtax that would be a different matter, but frankly, we don't. Each of us feels beholden above all else to the community here and right now our priority is protecting that community, and we can't do that if we just skip town. If it comes to it the modmin team is ready to collectively walk away, but I don't think any of us want to do that if we don't have to. We don't want to watch our spaces and our communities disintegrate, which is what will happen if each space shatters into half a dozen offsites.

This is some shameful coward bullshit right here.

"I have to keep this web forum run by the abuser I've defended in the past alive. Not for myself, but for the ~~community~~ of posters in a truly selfless act of devotion. We're totally ready to walk away. But we're not going to do that. Because we're cowards who don't want to give up our comfortable little bullshit nests and can just sort of put that whole domestic abuse thing in the backs of our minds. Donate to RAINN."

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Harvesting the e-mail list of this forum for personal use is definitely not cool/legal. They'd be wise not to gently caress with PII but they are not wise

im sure thats all being considered but personally i do not give a poo poo about the wife beating absentee landord of this websites Propert Rights

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

quote:

So that's why walking away, for us right now, is not an option. If we actually worked for Lowtax that would be a different matter, but frankly, we don't. Each of us feels beholden above all else to the community here and right now our priority is protecting that community, and we can't do that if we just skip town. If it comes to it the modmin team is ready to collectively walk away, but I don't think any of us want to do that if we don't have to. We don't want to watch our spaces and our communities disintegrate, which is what will happen if each space shatters into half a dozen offsites.

"I have to keep this web forum run by the abuser I've defended in the past alive. Not for myself, but for the ~~community~~ of posters in a truly selfless act of devotion. We're totally ready to walk away. But we're not going to do that. Because we're cowards who don't want to give up our comfortable little bullshit nests and can just sort of put that whole domestic abuse thing in the backs of our minds. Donate to RAINN."

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
my ideal scenario is finding a way to keep something awful but without lowtax, even if that means buying him out.

a "shattering" would be devastating and SA's greatest advantage is its breadth

Valleyant
Jul 23, 2007

That darn catte

Crusty Nutsack posted:

it's very nice and good that Renee (and others) are updating the forums regularly.

forums udpated

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Emacs Headroom posted:

Gotta be honest, I wouldn't want to go to a new version of SA run by the same band of moderators/admins. The insane amount of secrecy about every decision in the past 2ish years etc, and the obvious clinging to a modicum of power. It's just gross.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Also Renee is accusing everyone involved in BnR of being a sexpest

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

im sure thats all being considered but personally i do not give a poo poo about the wife beating absentee landord of this websites Propert Rights

It's not just his rights - using a cache of e-mails for promotion that wasn't explicitly signed off on (e.g, e-mails used for login poo poo) is I'm pretty damned sure a felony. That's why all the sites that harvest your data have you click through a privacy policy. If any of that data belongs to European citizens it's even worse.

Do not gently caress with PII you can go to jail if you don't know what you're doing

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Emacs Headroom posted:

why are you still posting on the abuser’s website if the entire place disgusts you so much?

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

my ideal scenario is finding a way to keep something awful but without lowtax, even if that means buying him out.

i still maintain this will never happen because

1) yes, lowtax, known for his many achievements and talents, is going to move on confidently to his next project after decades of barely being involved with a web forum that generates his entire income
2) even assuming he hit his head and had a personality shift and decided to sell the place, my prayers would be with the Ernst and Young accountants who tried to figure out the finances of somethingawful llc. A $100k IRS bill isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of standard accounting and finance practices

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Kaedric posted:

Gotta be honest, I wouldn't want to go to a new version of SA run by the same band of moderators/admins. The insane amount of secrecy about every decision in the past 2ish years etc, and the obvious clinging to a modicum of power. It's just gross.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

considering how Renee eagerly defended lowtax during the last outbreak of drama and banned people for bringing up his wife beater tendencies earlier I'm gonna assume them and the other admins are sus at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

why are you still posting on the abuser’s website if the entire place disgusts you so much?

good point. gently caress this place