Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

Emacs Headroom posted:

This is some shameful coward bullshit right here.

"I have to keep this web forum run by the abuser I've defended in the past alive. Not for myself, but for the ~~community~~ of posters in a truly selfless act of devotion. We're totally ready to walk away. But we're not going to do that. Because we're cowards who don't want to give up our comfortable little bullshit nests and can just sort of put that whole domestic abuse thing in the backs of our minds. Donate to RAINN."

This is a really dumb take on the statement and you're literally still posting here so how are you behaving any differently???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bro Dad posted:

Also Renee is accusing everyone involved in BnR of being a sexpest

Seems a bold line to take for someone who helped ban people exposing Lowtax's violence against partners in the past.

If this place is "saved" then fine but really got to clear out the lovely mods & admins who were involved in that at any point

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bro Dad posted:

Also Renee is accusing everyone involved in BnR of being a sexpest

have links or screenshots of this? sorry but i'm not scrolling through 500 pages of a gbs thread

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sharkie posted:

have links or screenshots of this? sorry but i'm not scrolling through 500 pages of a gbs thread

just check the lepers colony

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Seems a bold line to take for someone who helped ban people exposing Lowtax's violence against partners in the past.

well she convinced adtrw that bnr is an anti-trans webforum so i guess its working

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Quetzadilla posted:

This is a really dumb take on the statement and you're literally still posting here so how are you behaving any differently???

i was cautioned by lightning knight that i should wait out to see if lowtax would leave

between the new update and lightning's earlier responses, I'm not at all optimistic about that being what plays out, and I think we should all go

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

not to dismiss your concerns but a better place for this might be the offsite thread down below, since this threads more about news wrt Lowtax, his victims, and SA

Lowtax abuses his partners. The latest victim is currently safe. We have screenshots of police reports. Logan is probably going radio silence on the advice of a lawyer.

The whole thing can be summed up in a single page. There's no point in having a thread that just goes over and over the same thing. The only thing to really discuss now is the fallout. Namely off-sites and complicit mods.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Emacs Headroom posted:

i still maintain this will never happen because

1) yes, lowtax, known for his many achievements and talents, is going to move on confidently to his next project after decades of barely being involved with a web forum that generates his entire income
2) even assuming he hit his head and had a personality shift and decided to sell the place, my prayers would be with the Ernst and Young accountants who tried to figure out the finances of somethingawful llc. A $100k IRS bill isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of standard accounting and finance practices

a buyout is better than just losing everything with no buyout :shrug:

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zyla posted:

please don't post falsehoods and rumors as fact, thanks

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

welp.

Bro Dad posted:

well she convinced adtrw that bnr is an anti-trans webforum so i guess its working

yeah that whole....thing... is really weird.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I hate interforum drama. it is very dumb and usually unnecessary

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Sharkie posted:

welp.

yeah that whole....thing... is really weird.

hey so uh what the gently caress

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
no seriously what the gently caress

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Emacs Headroom posted:

i was cautioned by lightning knight that i should wait out to see if lowtax would leave

between the new update and lightning's earlier responses, I'm not at all optimistic about that being what plays out, and I think we should all go

Again, lowtax has done this for YEARS and it has been public knowledge. You stayed because you value this community. The modmins are doing the same and made a statement to that effect, which you interpreted as a cop out and a power grab. You are free to disagree with their specific approach and do what you want, but you're also dumb as gently caress for casting aspersions about the intent of the only people with the leverage to potentially save this community in the very earliest stages of this whole thing.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Valleyant posted:

forums udpated

lmao, looks like it's time for the retributive bannings phase of this whole debacle

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Kaedric posted:

Gotta be honest, I wouldn't want to go to a new version of SA run by the same band of moderators/admins. The insane amount of secrecy about every decision in the past 2ish years etc, and the obvious clinging to a modicum of power. It's just gross.

they don't and won't understand that they are in fact a part of the problem

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I hate interforum drama. it is very dumb and usually unnecessary

i think its funny as gently caress and one of the best parts of the old school internet but i respect your opinion

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Quetzadilla posted:

Again, lowtax has done this for YEARS and it has been public knowledge. You stayed because you value this community. The modmins are doing the same and made a statement to that effect, which you interpreted as a cop out and a power grab. You are free to disagree with their specific approach and do what you want, but you're also dumb as gently caress for casting aspersions about the intent of the only people with the leverage to potentially save this community in the very earliest stages of this whole thing.

I had an account that I hardly used for decades, I was not aware of the lowtax poo poo before this all blew up.

Why are you being so hostile about this? Is it some guilt thing because you don't want to leave and it's upsetting you that I think it's immoral to stay?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

don't worry guys, she's safe now. i know i said she was safe yesterday right before lowtax started making her post hostage videos but this time it's true

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This site is going to hell in a handbasket, lmao

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

Emacs Headroom posted:

I had an account that I hardly used for decades, I was not aware of the lowtax poo poo before this all blew up.

Why are you being so hostile about this? Is it some guilt thing because you don't want to leave and it's upsetting you that I think it's immoral to stay?

Haha someone here is trying to justify their decision to stay but it isn't me!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Giga Gaia posted:

i think its funny as gently caress and one of the best parts of the old school internet but i respect your opinion

that's a good point :hmmyes:

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Bro Dad posted:

a forum whose admins are majority trans is anti-trans

k

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i would like an explanation of the allegations against zyla, the supporting evidence, and her defense, please.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Can I get a perma? kthxbye

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Quetzadilla posted:

Haha someone here is trying to justify their decision to stay but it isn't me!

I'm not staying. I don't get what your point in all of this is, but find me on bread and roses or in a discord if you want to continue the discussion

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

new announcement

seriously tell your admin/mod friends if they follow through with the e-mail thing they can get major-hosed by violating GDPR laws please

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

SHVPS4DETH posted:

a forum whose admins are majority trans is anti-trans

k

if I were conspiracy minded if think it odd that the staff of an off-site that's grown massively prior to this is getting slandered all the sudden and banned when they point it out

Even more so when there's a solid chance said slanderers are building their own off-site, but hey I'm not conspiracy minded. After all its not like the people directly complacent with abusive behavior would ever make themselves look like the only reasonable option right?

Ovenmaster
Feb 22, 2006
I am the master of ovens for some reason.
Don't even see any mods browsing C-Spam, I guess LK was the last one before he got demodded.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

seriously tell your admin/mod friends if they follow through with the e-mail thing they can get major-hosed by violating GDPR laws please

Yeah this is like, turbo illegal in Europe lol

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

that announcement had me change my email to one of my junk mail ones lol. please do not harvest my email for your stupid loving offsite when you can just post it here as an announcement or on one of the 40 other offsites that will spin up. its not illegal for the volunteer mods and admins to post about other site theyre gonna make

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Agean90 posted:

odd that the staff of an off-site that's grown massively prior to this is getting slandered all the sudden and banned when they point it out

Even more so when there's a solid chance said slanderers are building their own off-site

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

i mean depends on where it comes from, an email from The Something Awful Forums saying "hey come post over here instead" is fine

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Giga Gaia posted:

that announcement had me change my email to one of my junk mail ones lol. please do not harvest my email for your stupid loving offsite when you can just post it here as an announcement or on one of the 40 other offsites that will spin up. its not illegal for the volunteer mods and admins to post about other site theyre gonna make

it is incredibly illegal to send advertising/even innocuous e-mails to EU residents without prior consent

these laws are very severe which is why you shouldn't mess with PII if you are not an expert/protected by someone who is

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

Can I get a perma? kthxbye

your order should be delivered in 6-10wks

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Agean90 posted:

if I were conspiracy minded if think it odd that the staff of an off-site that's grown massively prior to this is getting slandered all the sudden and banned when they point it out

Even more so when there's a solid chance said slanderers are building their own off-site, but hey I'm not conspiracy minded. After all its not like the people directly complacent with abusive behavior would ever make themselves look like the only reasonable option right?

if there's other goons bashing bnr to get goons to come to their goofy poo poo, lol. it seems like bnr would take the goons you wouldn't want on your offsite anyways

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Of course the migration to Something Awful 2.0 is going to be the biggest, most disastrous goon project in the history of this loving den of failures.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

dont make me spam goatse all over the place mods/admins. i want a permaban!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

deadwing posted:

i mean depends on where it comes from, an email from The Something Awful Forums saying "hey come post over here instead" is fine

It's not. If you check out the support page it outlines what is valid communication via e-mail and not disclosing a use-case like this is a blatant violation of that implicit agreement. That's enough to get reprimands/fines/worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Of course the migration to Something Awful 2.0 is going to be the biggest, most disastrous goon project in the history of this loving den of failures.

it owns

it is incredibly illegal to send advertising/even innocuous e-mails to EU residents without prior consent

these laws are very severe which is why you shouldn't mess with PII if you are not an expert/protected by someone who is

yeah i know i was one of those obnoxious not a lawyer people who would argue with management about gdpr and stuff. im just sayin, even though i live in the land of the free from consumer protection laws, dont use my email for your survey monkey list or whatever and just post a sticky with your offsite

Giga Gaia fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 25, 2020