Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
God drat I had always heard the rumors but I didn't know it was actually true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Amazing deal alert, C9 77 for $3,300 on woot:
https://www.woot.com/offers/lg-c9-7...=Slickdeals+LLC

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Taima posted:

Amazing deal alert, C9 77 for $3,300 on woot:
https://www.woot.com/offers/lg-c9-7...=Slickdeals+LLC

I've never used Woot, how are they on returns in the event of damage?

And what's the wisdom on waiting for a CX instead if I intend to play a next-gen console- does the TV processor really matter that much, C9 vs CX? I don't pay much attention to the tech.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jun 27, 2020

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Listerine posted:

And what's the wisdom on waiting for a CX instead if I intend to play a next-gen console- does the TV processor really matter that much, C9 vs CX? I don't pay much attention to the tech.

Got my C9 55 from them. Returns are easy and no hassle in my experience. Only catch is they may not have stock anymore so you might not get a replacement, just a refund.

But looks like it's sold out already anyway.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Red Warrior posted:

Got my C9 55 from them. Returns are easy and no hassle in my experience. Only catch is they may not have stock anymore so you might not get a replacement, just a refund.

But looks like it's sold out already anyway.

Yeah didn't last long once the east coast woke up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Listerine posted:

The X has been kind of a disappointing iteration, so no real benefit that we know of.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Listerine posted:

I know it's already sold out, but for future use Woot is an Amazon company and their returns, etc are fine. I've used them for 10+ years and haven't had an issue

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I’ve had a 60" 1080p Visio for the last 3-4 years, but I think it’s time to make the jump to 4K. Only devices I have that can output that right now is my Apple TV and my PC. This is mostly in preparation for the PS5. Main focus is gaming. I want good HDR, good motion, and HDMI 2.1. Want to be future proof for at least the next five years. I’m afraid of OLED burn in with gaming.

Right now I’m leaning towards an X900H. Seems to be a good combination of features and value. I might end up driving 30 miles to pick one up tomorrow at Best Buy. Not sure yet.

Is the X900h the best gaming TV at that price point?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Revol posted:

I’ve had a 60" 1080p Visio for the last 3-4 years, but I think it’s time to make the jump to 4K. Only devices I have that can output that right now is my Apple TV and my PC. This is mostly in preparation for the PS5. Main focus is gaming. I want good HDR, good motion, and HDMI 2.1. Want to be future proof for at least the next five years. I’m afraid of OLED burn in with gaming.

Right now I’m leaning towards an X900H. Seems to be a good combination of features and value. I might end up driving 30 miles to pick one up tomorrow at Best Buy. Not sure yet.

Is the X900h the best gaming TV at that price point?

I haven't seen reviews yet so I don't know if it's the best gaming TV, but the 900 and 950 line are great TVs in general. Good for motion handling, etc.

That said ... don't be afraid of burnin with OLED with gaming. You'll be fine.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Goddamnit right when I hit the point of thinking it's about time to pull the trigger on a 55C9 it goes out of stock seemingly everywhere reputable. John Lewis seems to have delisted it entirely (like it's not listed as out of stock, it's just straight not there), which sucks unbelievably because they're my instant go-to choice for stuff like TVs, and it's just the 55" C9; the 65", and the 55" E9 are still showing. (I'm not buying a 65")

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I too had a TV upgrade from a 55” to a 65” approved and picked out, then we got hit with a roof repair dammit. Hopefully they are still in stock and cheaper down the road!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

anyone got a recommendation for an hdmi switcher? only need two ports, but more wouldn't hurt. looking to add an snes classic and a switch. obviously i'd like the best quality possible, and for it not to break my tv or anything else.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vizio is releasing their 55” and 65” OLED tomorrow. Will be really interesting to see about pricing.

They’re using LG panels so I wonder if LG keeps the A grade panels for themselves, sells the B grade to someone like Sony, and maybe C grade goes to Vizio.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Josh Lyman posted:

Vizio is releasing their 55” and 65” OLED tomorrow. Will be really interesting to see about pricing.

They’re using LG panels so I wonder if LG keeps the A grade panels for themselves, sells the B grade to someone like Sony, and maybe C grade goes to Vizio.

I'd bet they'd force a price premium over everything.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
gently caress. Think my LG C6 was just a victim of a lightning strike. Had it surge protector. Whole house is being weird and only like half my LED bulbs are working.

NJD2005
Sep 3, 2006

wandler20 posted:

gently caress. Think my LG C6 was just a victim of a lightning strike. Had it surge protector. Whole house is being weird and only like half my LED bulbs are working.

Could be the transformer on the utility pole near your house. My power was acting weird like that once before and I had to call the power company and they came and figured out it was the transformer.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

NJD2005 posted:

Could be the transformer on the utility pole near your house. My power was acting weird like that once before and I had to call the power company and they came and figured out it was the transformer.

Hopefully it's something fluky. Our internet is also currently out.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Just picked up a 65" LG C9 yesterday. Had been trying to get the B9 from Costco but they kept showing in stock then out of stock and when I finally landed an order, it got cancelled a week later due to being out of stock. So I said gently caress it and got the C9 curbside from Best Buy. This is quite the upgrade from my old 42" 720p Samsung LCD panel that I had for the last ~15 years, it's nuts

One question I have is whether it is possible to get an on-screen display showing what signal the TV is actually receiving, in terms of resolution, frame rate, and bit depth? I'm curious about the quality of my sources, specifically the different apps on our AppleTV (4k)

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Kinda pissed at my 65" LG OLED B9

My remote suddenly stopped controlling the fire stick... Now I have to use 2 remotes!

In all seriousness, it's annoying because it used to work but now for some strange reason it doesn't.

Only tries to bring up live zoom or the guide.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

abelwingnut posted:

anyone got a recommendation for an hdmi switcher? only need two ports, but more wouldn't hurt. looking to add an snes classic and a switch. obviously i'd like the best quality possible, and for it not to break my tv or anything else.

I got a cheap three port from amazon that is self powered and automatically switches input automatically when it detects something turn on. It has been flawless and was cheap.

There’s no ‘best quality’ it either works or it doesn’t, which granted HDMI can have gremlins.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

I got a cheap three port from amazon that is self powered and automatically switches input automatically when it detects something turn on. It has been flawless and was cheap.

There’s no ‘best quality’ it either works or it doesn’t, which granted HDMI can have gremlins.

this?

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...&language=en_US

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Are wall mounts for TV generally the same or should I be paying more for a "name-brand" mount? Wirecutter recommends an $100 wall mount but there are plenty of $40~50 mounts on Amazon.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

More like dongle style, like this https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Switch-GANA-Splitter-Supports/dp/B06VX1PKQ7

kimcicle posted:

Are wall mounts for TV generally the same or should I be paying more for a "name-brand" mount? Wirecutter recommends an $100 wall mount but there are plenty of $40~50 mounts on Amazon.

How heavy is your TV and how confident are you in your ability to install it and see if something seems off before you hang something expensive off it?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

vanilla slimfast posted:

One question I have is whether it is possible to get an on-screen display showing what signal the TV is actually receiving, in terms of resolution, frame rate, and bit depth? I'm curious about the quality of my sources, specifically the different apps on our AppleTV (4k)
Does your remote have a button under the 9 key with three dots?
Try hitting that and then hitting info. It works for some apps.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Whoa 55" E9 for under $1200 (after coupon added when in cart): https://www.abctvs.com/prodinfo.phtml?id=4260

Does anyone have any experience with this company? The unfamiliar seller is the only thing stopping me right now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's a company that runs a scam. They'll call to set up delivery and say "well what you really want is the KOREA brand screen that does 24-bit HD color and that one's way way better and also $2500."

Supposedly some folks have been able to get them to ship just by adding in their useless service plan, but it's a crapshoot.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That's definitely a scam site. There's no such thing as a "too good to be true" price on TVs, just regular old good deal prices. If it's more than 30% off regular price then you're getting hoodwinked.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I guess I'll just wait to see how the Vizio OLED release shakes things up. Been itching to pull the trigger on a 55" B9/C9 for months and I keep finding excuses. Another hundred or two off current major retailers' prices would seal it.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I got a Vizio M series some months ago and while the picture is pretty good, the TV is very flaky. It will work fine for a while and then decide I can't cast to it anymore. Or I'll turn it on and the smart features just won't load. I can change to another input and it will work. I mostly use a shield with it so it's not like it's un-usable. It's just such a shame because while the built in smart stuff isn't as responsive as the shield, it is usable enough that I could see just using the TV on it's own.

I don't know how much they are planning to sell an OLED TV for, but if it's even close to the price of an LG I would just buy the LG instead.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

vanilla slimfast posted:

Try this:

beep by grandpa posted:

If you have an LG OLED, go to the "channel" menu and highlight "channel tuning" then press 11111

Wish this wasn't hidden :doh:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

The Vizio OLEDs will be $1300 and $2000 for the 55 and 65 respectively. There goes any hopes of this having an effect on LG prices.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Are Vizio making their own panels? If they're buying them from LG like Sony and Panasonic are it's basically impossible for them to be much cheaper.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

More like dongle style, like this https://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Switch-GANA-Splitter-Supports/dp/B06VX1PKQ7

How heavy is your TV and how confident are you in your ability to install it and see if something seems off before you hang something expensive off it?

According to Sony, "approx. 48.9 lb." I've wallmounted TVs before for my parents but they've always bought a Sanus mount with the TV since it's "right there" at Best Buy. Never had a TV fall yet so I assume I've done it right so far.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So apparently lightning strikes are really bad for things connected via hdmi. In my basement I had an Integra AV receiver connected to my Panasonic GT50, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch dock, and a Roku. I can't get anything to display anything via HDMI except the Roku of course (to a working tv). Not to mention my LG C6 is toast as well. Not thrilled right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What was your surge protector and how old was it?

Surge protectors degrade over time due to the small spikes they may see that don't trip them. A good surge protector will shutoff at that point, permanently bricking itself so it has to be replaced since it can't protect anymore but many many on the market do not do that.

I've been replacing all my surge protectors with this guy as I redo cables on stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0035PQGKU/

It's one one of the best protecting without going insane overkill and will kill itself when it can no longer protect what's plugged into it.

However, nothing is really going to protect you against a direct strike. If the strike was close enough, nothing short of having everything unplugged was likely going to help.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The one on my LG was less than a year old (https://smile.amazon.com/CyberPower-CSP600WSURC2-Protector-Outlets-Charging/dp/B01MYOYC9U/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2NEPY3IDXQWJG&dchild=1). The one in my basement was one of those monster power management boxes with a voltage meter but probably like 6 years old. The strike was right next to my house so nothing was probably saving me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, even the best surge protectors are only going to be protecting up to 5,000 volts. A direct strike is going to send literally 1 billion volts into your electrical system.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

wandler20 posted:

The one on my LG was less than a year old (https://smile.amazon.com/CyberPower-CSP600WSURC2-Protector-Outlets-Charging/dp/B01MYOYC9U/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2NEPY3IDXQWJG&dchild=1). The one in my basement was one of those monster power management boxes with a voltage meter but probably like 6 years old. The strike was right next to my house so nothing was probably saving me.

That unit supposedly comes with a "connected equipment guarantee" which was pretty easy to find on their site. They'll probably find a way to weasel out of it, but you should file a claim anyway. And then you can at least complain about the company screwing you over.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Something I have found responding to lightning strike service calls, is that often an indirect hit that causes equipment damage happens on houses that have a poor ground rod connection (if not missing entirely, or broken off, etc). IMO it's an item that should be included in home inspections, but I don't think it usually is.

A direct hit to a structure is gonna fry whatever is along its major path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Those power strip surge things are pretty piddly and usually the last line of defense. Type 1 and Type 2 devices will do more to help for sure, T1 usually needs your power company to install and they often charge a monthly fee. T2 is a whole house protector and sits next to your main external supply. Luckily when I moved in the house I had to have both boxes replaced, so I got them to install one then. Haven't needed it yet. Yet.