Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captain chauncey
May 6, 2009

You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?

Captain Log posted:

I just got my car back and remember I owe y'all a picture of the most boring Volvo ever.

My 00 S40, in all its boring glory!

:hfive: First-gen S40 buddy. My 03 was my gateway drug into the world of Volvo - fiancee still drives it a couple times a week.

I always wondered if, being a NEDcar/Mitsubishi mashup, people didn't consider it a "real" Volvo, but it's been dead reliable, with close to 250k on the clock and 17 years of pretty much making it look after itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Yaaaaaaaay

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Ugh, what? That sucks. Hope it’s just the mirror and not other panels too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

captain chauncey posted:

:hfive: First-gen S40 buddy. My 03 was my gateway drug into the world of Volvo - fiancee still drives it a couple times a week.

I always wondered if, being a NEDcar/Mitsubishi mashup, people didn't consider it a "real" Volvo, but it's been dead reliable, with close to 250k on the clock and 17 years of pretty much making it look after itself.

Yeah, it's definitely a departure from the blocky beasts I've driven before. But thanks to this thread, I realized the blocky Volvos would have been more work than I was wanting to deal with. Every one I drove in my price range had some severe issues.

I will still dream of having a 87 740 GLE again someday. Maybe I'll marry a mechanic?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

always be closing posted:

My v70 is making some front end noise. Only sometimes after a bump when coasting, goes away when I press gas or brake. It's like a repeated thudding.

Engine mounts.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Just looked up the vacuum motor mounts and that's almost exactly what it sounded like. I drove the car a bit today and it didn't do it at all, is that weird? Maybe a cracked line or a crack in the mount that leaks under certain conditions.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

always be closing posted:

My v70 is making some front end noise. Only sometimes after a bump when coasting, goes away when I press gas or brake. It's like a repeated thudding.

I had this with my XC70 and it was a bad ignition coil. I got a check engine light shortly afterwards

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Hello thread, I got a pretty sudden coolant leak earlier this week while driving and when I pulled over, the reservoir was completely empty and there was coolant residue all over the front passenger side under the hood. I had it towed to the shop and they said it was a radiator hose clamp that came off, so I’m glad it wasn’t anything more catastrophic. My stupid question is, what could cause a hose clamp to come off spontaneously? Could it be hard driving or simply be due to age? Are there any steps to keep something like this from happening?

Car is a 2006 XC70 with 218K miles. Thanks

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm assuming with that mileage it has had the hoses off before, so, age plus a reused spring clamp that was overextended when it was removed. I've had mixed results at best when reusing spring clamps.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm assuming with that mileage it has had the hoses off before, so, age plus a reused spring clamp that was overextended when it was removed. I've had mixed results at best when reusing spring clamps.

I recently had a condenser replaced and on P2s I think some mechanics disconnect the coolant lines to access it, so that’s probably what happened over time. Are clamps usually meant to be reused?
Thanks, I’ll be a bit more careful with driving unless I can get them replaced.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Ever since putting the Tritons on I was getting some bad vibrations. So I did a thing:

I mounted the Enkei wheels from my convertible, and it rides smooth as glass. So good news and bad news. Good news, the car looks and rides amazing with these wheels on it. The bad news, my Tritons are bent bad enough to cause severe vibrations with the stiff Bilstein shocks. The vibration was barely noticeable on both my T5 and my R. I know exactly when I bent them too, in 2016 I was commuting home and I hit a terrible pothole at 80 mph. One of those that instantly requires you to hold the steering wheel over about 10 degrees to keep the car straight.

I'm moving in a month or so, so I'll decide what to do after that, but it's gonna cost me something.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Coquihalla Summit, August 2nd.

2009 XC70 T6 Polestar

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

In other news while my car was in its extended stay at the shop I had the opportunity to drive a 2019 V90CC for a day and welp, almost bought me a new car. If I wasn't buying a new apartment right now that pic above would have a different car in it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
The V90 is a longboi, but it's really nice inside. The dealer picked me up in one when I flew down to get my mom's XC40.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

sharkytm posted:

The V90 is a longboi

It’s perfect 👌🏻

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I love my ‘17 V90. My wife questions why we even have other cars. I never would have bought it new but it was an astounding value lightly used.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

If I am allowed to do so, I’d like to post for a friend of mine who is selling his 1996 Volvo 850 wagon (non turbo) here in Lewiston, NY . He does good maintenance and keeps up with it.

Manual transmission, 243k, newer parts and pieces. Was from Virginia so body in good shape. He’s looking for $850 and I’d be happy to broker questions via PM. He’s not a goon but I figure maybe someone who’s a Volvo fan would like to do something with this versus some high school kid who will crash it immediately.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
My V70 II has lost function on one of the signal horns. I'm guessing it's the low pitched one since it beeps like a moped now. Is there anything simple I should look into before I order the part and remove the whole front of the car for access?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Invalido posted:

My V70 II has lost function on one of the signal horns. I'm guessing it's the low pitched one since it beeps like a moped now. Is there anything simple I should look into before I order the part and remove the whole front of the car for access?

Check the wiring first. If the connector is corroded or voltage isn't making it to the horn, then there's no need to replace the horn itself.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Partycat posted:

If I am allowed to do so, I’d like to post for a friend of mine who is selling his 1996 Volvo 850 wagon (non turbo) here in Lewiston, NY . He does good maintenance and keeps up with it.

Manual transmission, 243k, newer parts and pieces. Was from Virginia so body in good shape. He’s looking for $850 and I’d be happy to broker questions via PM. He’s not a goon but I figure maybe someone who’s a Volvo fan would like to do something with this versus some high school kid who will crash it immediately.

Post up on Swedespeed, there are guys there who will snag it for the transmission alone. Someone might use it for a commuter, but they will more likely part it out after manual swapping a turbo car. God only knows why Volvo made a nice tough manual transmission and then only sold it in NA cars (for the most part). Turbo manuals are out there, but only specific years and models, and they're far more rare than an NA manual.

Invalido posted:

Removing the bumper is super easy, but it's even easier to just remove the grille which should expose the horns. Search youtube for grille or bumper removal and you'll find a nice tutorial. Then check for power and corrosion at the connector, and then hit a junkyard for a replacement.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

LloydDobler posted:

Removing the bumper is super easy, but it's even easier to just remove the grille which should expose the horns. Search youtube for grille or bumper removal and you'll find a nice tutorial. Then check for power and corrosion at the connector, and then hit a junkyard for a replacement.
Thanks, the grille tip is exactly along the lines of what I was hoping for. I'd dislike having to remove having to remove and attach the bumper twice (once for finding the fault, once for replacing it after getting the part) if there's an easier way. The car is going up on the lift soon anyway for an outer CV boot replacement so I'll look into the horn too if there's time.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
hello volvo goons, i am about to purchase a 2005 s40 t5 awd, and im wondering what some of the more common issues are with these cars. google's only bringing up vague electrical issues and the car doesnt seem to have any from my test driving. it's a high mileage car but its still sweet as all hell.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Start here, there's a newbie thread at the top:

https://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdisplay.php?54-S40-amp-V50-(2005-2012)

They're pretty fun and reliable cars, the big issue I worry about is the cooling system. There's a few fail-prone plastic parts/hoses and no low coolant warning. Just budget and plan on replacing the cooling hoses, reservoir, and thermostat housing when convenient. Then you'll be safe for years. Don't forget the hoses on the oil cooler, but they're expensive little buggers.

If you get any kind of temperature warning on the dash, pull over and shut down as fast as you can. Do not try to limp the car to the next off ramp or destination. The first few seconds after coolant loss are critical, the head will warp and blow the head gasket almost immediately. You can save the car if you keep this in mind.

Second big issue is accessory belts. If you throw one they very frequently wrap in to the timing belt, which destroys the motor. Just make sure they're fresh and soft, not dry and cracked. They're cheap and not too hard to change, so if in doubt swap them out.

Don't let this scare you away.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Dropped my car back off at the dealership because the AWD disabled itself yesterday. There was another, sadly already sold, black 2019 V70CC in the lot. God drat I am in love with that car.

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
I left this summer but was so excited to tell you all this. I very likely made a questionable purchase.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XJPFVCoJp2iM6GnR9

It's a 1973 164e and even though it looks rough, this thing drives so great. My plan is basically to flush all the fluids and do all the routine work to make this something I could comfortably take around town on occasion, then work on cleaning up the interior. With the body I'd at least like to stop the rust from spreading where it's started, but other than that, it'll definitely be the last thing I toy with. The guy I bought it from had a 164 he was using as a parts car and gave me the intact windshield for it as well as trim pieces and lights that would transfer over.

Anyway I'm not sure how much I'll be back here because gently caress Lowtax, but this group's been good to me and I wanted to share!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

What a fantastic car!
gently caress Lowtax! He's still on the way out tho so I think things will probably be ok here.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
The 164 is pretty neat. I've always found that version of it to look a bit "anachronistic", in that the front looks older than the contemporary 140's, but the rear and the interior looks more like the newer 240's. But it has a whole two extra cylinders of mild combustion!

Is there anything behind those two "extra grills" (a massive pair of horns or something)? Or just a weird blanking panel because it for some reason lacks the lights that go there usually?

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
Outside the US those would have been fog lights. In the US they added the grills instead, but you could also remove them for extra lights.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
Posted this on swedespeed but maybe you guys can help.

I ended up buying my buddy's s40, its a 2005 t5 awd with the six speed. He'd bypassed the heater core because it was leaking at the o-ring. at this point the car started and drove fine.

I replaced the heater core, and swapped the upper and lower rad hoses while i had the airbox out. Also did an oil change. Had the battery on a trickle charger the whole time it was out of the car.

I put everything back together and the car cranks but won't ignite. There's a new code on the trip display for "Reduced Engine Performance".

I can smell fuel if I pull out the vacuum hose that goes into the intake plenum so I'm assuming the injectors are firing which would leave plugs or compression I guess?

I just pulled out everything I'd put back in in case i missed a connector or something but everything seems fine. Same for all the connections to the CEM, none of the engine bay fuses are burnt out.

I dont have a vida/dice computer or a volvo odb2 reader here.

kinda stuck

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Check your crank/cam position sensors. I'm not familiar with that engine bay in particular, but it's possible you unplugged one of them accidently in your projects.

A generic OBD2 reader would likely tell you what signal is missing.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

That happened to me on my daughter's car, turns out I'd bumped the connector for the transmission computer while doing the coolant hose. Pull the air box again (taking out the bolts for the passenger motor mount and jacking the motor up makes this a lot easier) and reach down and see if you can snap the plug back in. If I remember correctly it was really easy to knock loose.

Except yours is manual. Hrm. Check anything down there like angryrobots said. Maybe the engine computer connectors as well.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

angryrobots posted:

Check your crank/cam position sensors. I'm not familiar with that engine bay in particular, but it's possible you unplugged one of them accidently in your projects.

A generic OBD2 reader would likely tell you what signal is missing.

it was the crank sensor, looks like i clipped one of the wires putting in the upper hose.

thanks guys!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Somewhat out of left field but anyone know of coilovers for the 2017 V90 T5 Inscription? Looking through KW seems like only 2018 model and up. I haven't fully looked through swedespeed, this is just curious for a friend.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
That should be the same car unless there is something weird on the 17 vs 18+.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Wrar posted:

That should be the same car unless there is something weird on the 17 vs 18+.

That's what I thought and seems to line up with what I could find searching, thanks.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
i know there's a buy/sell thread but i figure i'll probably have more luck here:

I'm looking for a pair of roof bars for my s40. the volvo part no. is 31454705 (https://www.volvowholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-load-bars-31454705?c=bD00Jm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM%3D)

either those or a thule or yakima setup, just need to get a ski box on this thing.

so if anyone's got a pair sitting in their garage collecting dust they wouldn't mind shipping to canada for money, hit me up

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Put about 1,000 lbs of computers in my V60 today and drove for over an hour...felt a little bit like I had a lowrider for a bit but overall it did pretty good handling all that. Kinda wish I had my old V70 though, the extra few inches of cargo space would have been appreciated.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

How bad is the turn signal stalk job? As mines starting to ignore tap signaling to the left.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

toplitzin posted:

How bad is the turn signal stalk job? As mines starting to ignore tap signaling to the left.

I've only done it once and it was years ago but on my old V70 it was trivial. A few torx screws to remove the cover around the steering column (extension and elevation set for easiest access) and then it's just an electrical plug and possibly a nut or so to replace the stalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

kalvanoo posted:

i know there's a buy/sell thread but i figure i'll probably have more luck here:

I'm looking for a pair of roof bars for my s40. the volvo part no. is 31454705 (https://www.volvowholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/volvo-load-bars-31454705?c=bD00Jm49U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM%3D)

either those or a thule or yakima setup, just need to get a ski box on this thing.

so if anyone's got a pair sitting in their garage collecting dust they wouldn't mind shipping to canada for money, hit me up

If you're not cruising swedespeed classifieds, get over there and check it every day or so. Those come up all the time. You can also post a wanted thread.