Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ManMythLegend posted:

I've never been to Magu so I have no ability to compare to anything, but loving :lol: x infinity at people thinking living anywhere in Virginia is better than Jacksonville.

Jacksonville's not the best place ever, but it's not terrible. The schools in Duval County are generally poo poo overall (there are exceptions) so I wouldn't recommend it for families, but it's cheap, close to lots of great stuff, and actually does have burgeoning cultural scene as long as you get away from the Jax Beach.

I would live in NoVa a thousand times before jax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PneumonicBook posted:

I would live in NoVa a thousand times before jax

Same here.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
You guys are loving crazy. NOVA is the armpit of the east coast. I would take orders to Djibouti before I took orders to Norfolk.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ManMythLegend posted:

You guys are loving crazy. NOVA is the armpit of the east coast. I would take orders to Djibouti before I took orders to Norfolk.

I never said anything about Norfolk.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ManMythLegend posted:

Ah, I was thinking more DC metro area. Still Norfolk wasn't that bad when I grew up there, but that was during the Cold War.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ah, I was thinking more DC metro area. Still Norfolk wasn't that bad when I grew up there, but that was during the Cold War.

The entire Hampton Roads region resembles a more temperate Flint, Michigan nowadays, but the service economy is kept on life support by the military bases and all the business the rental properties generate. Largely vacant strip malls have weeds growing up through parking lots with mostly empty storefronts dotted with the occasional pretty blatant money laundering front like hair/nail salons, check cashing spots galore...most retail is big box only. There are small pockets that resemble something modern, like they tried turning the area around Pembroke Mall into a Reston Town Center and stopped like 15% of the way through. There's a Shake Shack and a tall building. That's pretty much it.

They also built a light rail system that goes from Newtown Road to downtown Norfolk. They still haven't appreciably changed the roads and commuting around the area's still a loving nightmare.

...that's pretty much it. Oh, a large portion of the area *does* have FiOS, so there's that. :shrug:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They also built a light rail system that goes from Newtown Road to downtown Norfolk. They still haven't appreciably changed the roads and commuting around the area's still a loving nightmare.

It is still insane that they wouldn't approve the extension of the Tide to NOB. So many people going to the same spot but why try and make it easier and safer. So many loving accidents on 64 and 564 could be avoided daily

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Isn't the rule of the navy, the closer you are to Norfolk the worse things are?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
On what planet is Norfolk, some 20 miles from the state's southern border, considered part of NoVA?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

McNally posted:

On what planet is Norfolk, some 20 miles from the state's southern border, considered part of NoVA?

It's not, but eventually there'll be HOV lanes stretching down to Richmond from NoVA, and they're *finally* getting around to widening I-64 between Hampton and Richmond.

As far as I'm concerned, NoVA stops a few miles south of Fredericksburg, and even that's being generous.

Also, anyone who finds their way up here to the DC Area, even temporarily, is welcome on the DC Goon Slack.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 28, 2020

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's not, but eventually there'll be HOV lanes stretching down to Richmond from NoVA, and they're *finally* getting around to widening I-64 between Hampton and Richmond.

As far as I'm concerned, NoVA stops a few miles south of Fredericksburg, and even that's being generous.

Also, anyone who finds their way up here to the DC Area, even temporarily, is welcome on the DC Goon Slack.

So you're considering anything north of fred Vegas the DC area?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Sorry, I was replying to this:

ManMythLegend posted:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

So you're considering anything north of fred Vegas the DC area?

Like I said, I'm being generous. A nice natural dividing line between NoVA and CentVA is the Rappahannock.

Coincidentally, the moment you cross the Rappahannock, you're a mile from the northernmost Cook Out in VA the entire country. I rest my case.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 28, 2020

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
If I was still in and received orders to Norfolk, I would fuckin desert

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The general rule is always, the farther you are from a fleet concentration area, the better.

My best tour was, and always will be, my exchange tour with the Germans as there are 0 US Navy assets in country and C6F gave less than two fucks about my status.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yar Getting WiFi at sea yarrrrrr

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Crabdad is just making poo poo up at this point.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

McNally posted:

Yeah, this is my had. I wasn't paying attention to what Pneumonic and VVG said and my brain was just locked on what a complete shithole the entire Norfolk area is.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AlternateNu posted:

The general rule is always, the farther you are from a fleet concentration area, the better.

After I left active duty I stayed in San Diego to get my Master's degree and it's enough of a real city that I could pretend the Navy didn't exist.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Stultus Maximus posted:

After I left active duty I stayed in San Diego to get my Master's degree and it's enough of a real city that I could pretend the Navy didn't exist.

I'm specifically talking if you're still under the thumb of the Navy. Norfolk is a poo poo area regardless of the fleet concentration.

But being a cog is easier the farther you are away from the people who pull the levers.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I liked Jacksonville but I mainly did stuff out doors. Lots of places to go kayaking, plenty of state parks etc. Of course this was 30 lbs ago but we'd park somewhere with public beach access and then run along the beach to get into the state parks and we'd have the beach to ourselves.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Crabdad is just making poo poo up at this point.

Please I would never lie about such mundane stuff. However I’m a little concerned that steak made to order and blackened shrimp night may be as good as it sounds.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Can you believe that, because of COVID, they've cut it down to only one massage appointment a week!? Unthinkable.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

There's crabdad's Navy and then there's the Navy everyone else experienced, they are very different

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

orange juche posted:

There's crabdad's Navy and then there's the Navy everyone else experienced, they are very different

The khaki experience on a blueshirt's pay

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
MFU and SUP have steak once a week and prime rib once every ten days in their contract. We also have WiFi in most of our contracts now. I'm not sure what MSCs status is there but some of it is filtering out.

The single biggest improvement a company can make is to ensure WiFi so people can text, check Facebook, Skype and pay bills. Foreign flags are 5+ years ahead of the US here but even the cheapest companies are getting there.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Glad to see Crabman is still doing Navy the right way

Also he might be the only one left in GiP that’s still enlisted

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Story time! So my old Naval Mobile Construction Battalion, one of the second classes a few weeks ago went on TikTok and road tested his tight five. It was "I'm not racist BUT" jokes, so you can imagine how great it was. An African American senior chief saw it and got it ran up and the dude went to mast. He's a 12 year or something E-5 so busted down and he's out, and given the USN stance on racism, zero tolerance for that poo poo and everything this should be a wrap.

He lost his warfare device. Another second was recently knocked down and restricted for not having hopped to fast enough for a tasking from an Ensign on a field exercise. SEABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?
Seconding getting away from Norfolk. I live almost to Franklin and like it quite a bit. Hunting is good and I'm a few hours away from decent hiking. Really can't complain. But I guess I am from Fresno, California.

As a city nothing in VA holds a candle to San Diego. If I got stationed there I would be an alcoholic.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

maffew buildings posted:

Story time! So my old Naval Mobile Construction Battalion, one of the second classes a few weeks ago went on TikTok and road tested his tight five. It was "I'm not racist BUT" jokes, so you can imagine how great it was. An African American senior chief saw it and got it ran up and the dude went to mast. He's a 12 year or something E-5 so busted down and he's out, and given the USN stance on racism, zero tolerance for that poo poo and everything this should be a wrap.

Good

TidePods4Lunch
Apr 24, 2005
You can't kill me, I'm made out of invincible!
Man, I must be an anomaly but I actually liked Norfolk. Bought a house in Oceanview so it was a 15 minute drive to the flight line through the back gate and was only longer if I had to be there at 0700. Halfway through my tour the TopGolf was built, Town Center and Ghent had decent food scenes, and it wasn’t a terrible trip up to DC or Philly. Granted, it’s no San Diego but my wife and I both agreed we wouldn’t fight orders back there.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

TidePods4Lunch posted:

Man, I must be an anomaly but I actually liked Norfolk. Bought a house in Oceanview so it was a 15 minute drive to the flight line through the back gate and was only longer if I had to be there at 0700. Halfway through my tour the TopGolf was built, Town Center and Ghent had decent food scenes, and it wasn’t a terrible trip up to DC or Philly. Granted, it’s no San Diego but my wife and I both agreed we wouldn’t fight orders back there.

Nah, I'm pretty much the same mindset. I've enjoyed my time here, it definitely seems a lot better than it was 10 years ago (though not being an FRS student also probably helps). Downtown is pretty nice these days, it feels like a pretty average moderately-sized American city. For this latest set of orders I told my detailer that my preference was Mugu but I certainly wouldn't be unhappy to stay in Norfolk. I was really hoping to rent out a couple Top Golf bays for my bail but that's probably not going to happen with the latest COVID restrictions.

Also western Virginia and the Appalachians are some good low-key hiking and weekend vacation areas.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Thanks for all the advice. I put in a single application for Point Mugu, so wish me luck. Virginia Beach isn't terrible, but after a few years we had done every single thing possible to do in the area, including visiting Luray Caverns, Blue Ridge Parkway, D.C., etc. more than a few times. We'll have been here for over 7 years by the time my PRD is up, and holy poo poo we are BORED. Also, it takes us 20 minutes just to get to the nearest entrance to the 64/264, which is mostly self-imposed by wanting to be near Dam Neck, but for Californians, it is absolute torture.

We need to live near a freeway. We are Californians. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCer2e0t8r8

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Glad to see Crabman is still doing Navy the right way

Also he might be the only one left in GiP that’s still enlisted

Sadly not true. There are a few more

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

DustyNuts posted:

Thanks for all the advice. I put in a single application for Point Mugu, so wish me luck. Virginia Beach isn't terrible, but after a few years we had done every single thing possible to do in the area, including visiting Luray Caverns, Blue Ridge Parkway, D.C., etc. more than a few times. We'll have been here for over 7 years by the time my PRD is up, and holy poo poo we are BORED. Also, it takes us 20 minutes just to get to the nearest entrance to the 64/264, which is mostly self-imposed by wanting to be near Dam Neck, but for Californians, it is absolute torture.

We need to live near a freeway. We are Californians. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCer2e0t8r8

If you land here you're invited over for BBQ and poo poo at the beach house which should current situation happen the fifth of never

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Norfolk and the surrounding cities have a ton to offer if you don't live inside the Navy/Government bubble that so many military families do.

Although I might be biased because I grew up in some super rural areas.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
https://news.usni.org/2020/06/29/navy-education-for-seapower-program-under-review-by-new-secnav

quote:

A push to boost education across all ranks the Navy and the Marine Corps is under review by the office of the Secretary of the Navy and could face cuts in the future, USNI News has learned.

The Education for Seapower initiative was a key program crafted by Navy Secretary Richard V. Spencer and former Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly to improve learning across the Department of the Navy as a national security priority.
[...]
However, the new programs moving are now being reconsidered, according to a schoolwide message to Naval War College faculty members reviewed by USNI News. The scope of the review is unclear, however.
[...]
Earlier this month, John Kroger, the first DoN CLO, submitted his resignation from the position after less than a year in the job. His resignation would take place later this summer. Kroger was a former Marine, an academic, a federal prosecutor and past attorney general for the State of Oregon and was tapped to lead the new office in September 2019.
[...]
The new look at education is the latest in a string of Modly and Spencer initiatives that have been canceled or put under review by new Secretary of the Navy Kenneth Braithwaite.

Modly, who resigned after the mishandling of the removal former USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71), had driven the Education for Seapower study and the rollout of an education strategy in March.

The pivot to education is falling apart, which was my fear after Modly's career was found dead in a Guamanian hotel authorities ruled as autopodiacasphyxiation.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Laranzu posted:

Sadly not true. There are a few more

4 more years of reserve life

:(

And ill just say my time in the reserves has been MUCH different.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm down to 3 1/2.
Starting to wonder if a 40+ year old guy trying weed for the first time is pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

PneumonicBook posted:

:(

And ill just say my time in the reserves has been MUCH different.

pick your rate pick your fate! :chiefsay: