Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think drafting players you know you will cut is bad for business with the agents

Teams seem to not draft people they don’t want / know they will cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Doltos posted:

Remember when Bulls fans were in shambles

yeah

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

euphronius posted:

I think drafting players you know you will cut is bad for business with the agents

Teams seem to not draft people they don’t want / know they will cut

Also like come on it's a second round pick you have a better chance of the Reinsdorfs accidentally spending that money on a free agent than you do of finding anyone who is going to conceivably make the team and not spend years in the d-league

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Bulls shouldn't have sold that pick even if a 23 year old with a low ceiling wouldn't have been a good pick. Bell was a good pick for the warriors though, since he could play right away.

I'm ok with teams selling picks when they already have a lot of young guys that need the development reps, and I think we overestimate the market for trading for later picks, so sometimes it's a choice of selling a pick or drafting a guy who you know you will have to cut for the roster spot. But the bulls were not in that position that year.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

R.D. Mangles posted:

I would rather have the bulls draft a basketball player who has a small chance of maybe helping the team than the reinsdorfs just pocketing 2.5 million dollars.

With the admirable way they've handled Lauri's first few years I would expect that the Bulls would have developed Jordan Bell into an all-star

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Idk, the only Asset players left at that pick were Dillon Brooks, Sterling Brown, and Monte Morris, and that was the draft where the Bulls just got Zach LaVine and point guard of the future Kris Dunn, so any 2nd round guard wouldn't get much for minutes that season most likely

note: this is looking at it based on results, not process.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It was actually smart of the Bulls to sell a draft pick in the 30s immediately after they traded the only good player on their team & started a rebuild

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Lockback posted:

Bulls shouldn't have sold that pick even if a 23 year old with a low ceiling wouldn't have been a good pick. Bell was a good pick for the warriors though, since he could play right away.

I'm ok with teams selling picks when they already have a lot of young guys that need the development reps, and I think we overestimate the market for trading for later picks, so sometimes it's a choice of selling a pick or drafting a guy who you know you will have to cut for the roster spot. But the bulls were not in that position that year.

You can most likely get someone in the D league as good as Jordan Bell but for much cheaper than 2.5 million

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Dammit Ja :(

https://twitter.com/jamorant/status/1277451639239081985?s=21

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Cool Buff Man posted:

With the admirable way they've handled Lauri's first few years I would expect that the Bulls would have developed Jordan Bell into an all-star

Man lauri looked like he was going to be a future Allstar after his second year then boylein stunted his growth like a lighthouse directing into rocks

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

his dad probably yelled at him

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Don’t know what’s going on with ja so I can’t criticize

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Metapod posted:

Man lauri looked like he was going to be a future Allstar after his second year then boylein stunted his growth like a lighthouse directing into rocks

Your "boylein" spelling is slowly seeping into my brain, like a perverted form of boolean

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Doltos posted:

You can most likely get someone in the D league as good as Jordan Bell but for much cheaper than 2.5 million

Golden State was hard capped I believe(or maybe just in tax trouble). The cash from the trade doesn't count for cap purposes, and Bell's salary was lower as a second rounder than a lot of gleaguers. So it made sense for gsw.

For the bulls, I could see them using that money to take a flyer on someone or whatever but I'm not sure they did that.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Doltos posted:

Absolutely the reinsdorf family was going to put that money right back into the team instead of take a picture and look at it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Your "boylein" spelling is slowly seeping into my brain, like a perverted form of boolean

Is that not how it's spelled? Lmao

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Metapod posted:

Jim Boylen - current coach of the Bulls

Jim Boylan - former coach of the Bulls

John Beilein - former coach of the Cavs

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

R.D. Mangles posted:

If juiced, then jacked.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Rename the Bulls the Boylein Operators

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I don't understand how it is so hard to wear a mask. It's like people just want to behave like contrarian preschoolers.

A lot of people claim that they can't breathe in them. I think it's some kind of psychological issue.

MourningView posted:

double post but goddammit

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/1277255734950912001?s=19

bUt YoUnG HeaLtHy PeOpLe ArEn'T aT RiSk

The right to a sense of smell is not protected under the bill of rights :911:.

soggybagel posted:

Not to be a stick in the mud but why does this nba jam story resurface every few years?

Goldfish memory.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Brandon Clarke has more WS, BPM, PER and VORP.

Going to have to change his number to 27, 28, 29...very soon.

Metapod posted:

It deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.

The caoch of the Bluls is Jeams Fcinars Bleoyn.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Zogo posted:

Brandon Clarke has more WS, BPM, PER and VORP.

It's time to start a dialogue.

(I'm sure Ja was getting hounded by his agent, owner, etc, the original tweet is still good and cool)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Coronavirus mutation has taken over the world. Scientists are trying to understand why.
https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/Coronavirus-mutation-has-taken-over-the-world-15373472.php

'"G" hasn't just dominated the outbreak in Chicago - it has taken over the world. Now scientists are racing to figure out what it means.'

Takeaway: Jim Boylen possibly responsible for mysterious SARS-CoV-2 mutation.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I would rather have the bulls draft a basketball player who has a small chance of maybe helping the team than the reinsdorfs just pocketing 2.5 million dollars.

I want to know what he did with that money.

DeimosRising posted:

Not being facetious: will you continue to feel this way during future years’ flu pandemics (the flu is a pandemic every year)? I wonder if this experience won’t change the way some people consider influenza and the cavalier way the half million deaths it causes every year are treated

In the short-term I think there will be more caution (for years possibly). In the long-term that could wane and may disappear completely.

Kind of like eighteen years ago there was rampant support for militarizing police forces. Because soon every village and hamlet in the country was going to be crawling with Al-Qaeda and Al-Shabab footsoldiers. The sleeper cells were ready to ignite their dirty bombs. And we needed LOTS of tanks and APCs to repel this scourge!

Likewise, I still remember that Trump guy saying he was going to send large tanks into all the "bad neighborhoods" to restore order a few years back. He never did that.

Now things have gone far in the other direction and many are talking about disbanding police forces.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
What are the odds

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1277724324040974336?s=21

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

R.D. Mangles posted:

Absolutely the reinsdorf family was going to put that money right back into the team instead of take a picture and look at it.

I'm saying it's cheaper for them to sign a g-leaguer and get the 2.5 mil than it was to sign Bell and not get the 2.5 mil

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lockback posted:

The "Alanis Morissette" definition of ironic.

Alanis Was Right

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Zogo posted:

Coronavirus mutation has taken over the world. Scientists are trying to understand why.
https://www.lmtonline.com/news/article/Coronavirus-mutation-has-taken-over-the-world-15373472.php

'"G" hasn't just dominated the outbreak in Chicago - it has taken over the world. Now scientists are racing to figure out what it means.'

Takeaway: Jim Boylen possibly responsible for mysterious SARS-CoV-2 mutation.

Enveloped +ssRNA virus punches in at the Bulls Gym, ready to do pushups and suicides all day while Boylen yells "Let's See Some Grit!" "Show Me That Hustle!" and ends the day by saying "You can't just randomly change a base pair from a C to a G, it takes heart and you got to put the work in to earn it."

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Zogo posted:

A lot of people claim that they can't breathe in them. I think it's some kind of psychological issue.

The right to a sense of smell is not protected under the bill of rights :911:.

Goldfish memory.

I'm one of the people lucky enough to have had a couple of n95s sitting around when this popped off and I can say that they are kind of annoying to breath in, but those regular masks and cloth ones can't be that bad

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/chrisvernonshow/status/1277743365224902656?s=21

Who’s going to pay Josh Jackson

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeAndre/status/1277777538312478720?s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No idea who he even plays for anymore

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
So are all the Nets getting the rona or what

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Someone check on Jarrett Allen

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Cancel the season imo

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Chairchucker posted:

Cancel the season imo

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kyrie probably got the whole team infected when he gave out bottles of raw milk

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://mobile.twitter.com/wojespn/status/1277781101168209920

Dinwiddie too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

drat yall we aint gonna see that hard hitting 26 Trillion jersey in action, what a loss