Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Only chuds keep saying there’s a “civil war” between Jon Fav and Kathleen because they need to have some kind of villain in their crusade to be awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Han's death is probably the one good scene in the trilogy I didn't know they all hated that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think they hate he got killed by Kylo instead of an ultra badass super sick dude

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

I think they hate he got killed by Kylo instead of an ultra badass super sick dude

Trying to imagine an ultra badass super sick Kylo and all I can envision is a masked dude whose lightsaber has even more side protrusions.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The lightsabers are on his mask like tusks

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I really feel like that website is misrepresenting how credible that guy is, when they don't even show a picture of how he dresses in his videos.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Rumor is that Chad Stahelski, director of the John Wick franchise is doing a reboot of Highlander.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Over the years and years of iterations of that reboot, this is the first one that feels like a decent match to me. The original Highlander is a really fun movie that's iconic for a reason, but it's also a bit off a mess. I'm in favor of a remake if it's coming from the right mindset and the right talent.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

And then at the end, when the old friend rushes to confront the murderer, Holmes is already there.

Heck, make it a series about London's second best detective arriving at crime scenes Holmes already puzzled out offscreen.

I think you just described Sherlock (sherlock is very bad)

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Rumor is that Chad Stahelski, director of the John Wick franchise is doing a reboot of Highlander.

Highlander is weird since it's a movie lots of people can name, maybe they can even quote a line or two of dialogue from it (the famous one, certainly) but very few can tell you anything more about and even fewer have seen it. I had to explain to two separate friends and my wife what the highlander was in the space of a week at one point.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I assume this would be after John Wick 4? So like in 5 years?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I'm down for John Wick With Swords.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Robot Style posted:

I really feel like that website is misrepresenting how credible that guy is, when they don't even show a picture of how he dresses in his videos.

Is this supposed to be a joke thing, like Jim Sterling?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I doubt it. Anyone who whines about Kathleen Kennedy is very serious and very very racist and misogynistic

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GlassEye-Boy posted:

It was announced that he was doing that ages ago (back in 2016). He gave an interview about some of the ideas that had been floating around before he joined up and how incredibly stupid they were.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Immortals doing a centuries long battle royale with swords is something you can remake a bunch of times in great ways and very stupid ways.

Lets get the ball rolling now so the next remake can come in a decade.

Edit- Miilla Jovovich has to have a role in a Highlander remake.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 30, 2020

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I'm sure one thing that keeps people from just going ahead (:v:) with the Highlander remake is that they want to lay out the mythology so as not to stumble into a Highlander 2 clusterfuck.

... which is completely unnecessary, just "From the dawn of time" that poo poo and don't worry about the expanded universe.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

history...is loving crazy

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm sure one thing that keeps people from just going ahead (:v:) with the Highlander remake is that they want to lay out the mythology so as not to stumble into a Highlander 2 clusterfuck.

... which is completely unnecessary, just "From the dawn of time" that poo poo and don't worry about the expanded universe.

I don’t see why they need to justify poo poo. There’s immortal magic, it has some rules, they’re kind of like vampires. The more they try to explain the mechanics, the dumber it becomes. (And didn’t the movies explain it using aliens or something? I don’t care about spoiling it because the thing I vaguely recall sounded terrible.)

A movie that requires really sick sword choreography and can be as anachronistic as they want with that sounds great. I’m in for a medieval broadsword vs. samurai fight. Gladiator vs. Saracen. Some kind of Bronze Age Scorpion King vs., I don’t know, a Viking shieldmaiden. I’ll take any of those.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Tars Tarkas posted:

The best part of the mystery section is there are mystery themed stuff for EVERYTHING! Ren faires, coffeehouses, tea clubs, book clubs, antique dealers, archivists, plumbers, bagel shops, magician shops, haunted houses, beauty shops, every holiday, cakes, quilting, cookies, geneology, gardening, sudoku, NASCAR, golf, florist, laundromats, realtors, wedding planners, veterinarians, wiccans, any hobby you can think of probably has a book series. And most of these series have cats or dogs as major characters, and in some of them they solve the mysteries, and in at least one series I read, the cats were magical and would walk through walls and lead their human to clues. There are enough dog ones that there are tons of different dog breed series, puppy rescue, kitten rescue, birds, probably every niche pet too now. Also a good chunk of these books have a librarian character because that's an easy way to get your book in libraries, even if it makes no sense to the plot.

The worst part is I have nowhere near enough time to read all of these, I can't even keep up with the SciFi and Fantasy sections!

Going through my Prime video feed, I stumbled upon the cooking mystery genre, which was like finding an untapped vein of gold. Endless d-grade videos starring anonymous handsome dudes in suits and generic blondes who stumble into a murder mystery while shopping for herbs or making a dinner for VIPs.

I wonder if there's any good recipes in any of them.

There were gardening mysteries too, but why not.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John Wick as a film has a good eye for swift, suitably traumatic mundane violence in an urban, but somehow mythologized word so, uh, perfect.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm down for John Wick With Swords.

I mean, John Wick already has swords.

FilthyImp posted:

So you're telling me all the alt history books miss out that the Nazi empire would have been a strung out mess of coke and methheads? Lol

When Hermann Göring was in jail during Nuremberg trials it was the first time in years when he wasn't injecting morphine into himself.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 30, 2020

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alhazred posted:

I mean, John Wick already has swords.

And John Wick always goes for the headshot :thunk:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

And John Wick always goes for the headshot :thunk:

Keanu Reeves basically is immortal too.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

Trying to imagine an ultra badass super sick Kylo and all I can envision is a masked dude whose lightsaber has even more side protrusions.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Hey, a creeping man! For my film The Creeping Man!

The best part of this joke is Eddie Izzard eventually got it to happen.
That's 100% his role in The Avengers.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

wyoming posted:

which marvel villain was he again

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BJ Darth Icky

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tars Tarkas posted:

The best part of the mystery section is there are mystery themed stuff for EVERYTHING! Ren faires, coffeehouses, tea clubs, book clubs, antique dealers, archivists, plumbers, bagel shops, magician shops, haunted houses, beauty shops, every holiday, cakes, quilting, cookies, geneology, gardening, sudoku, NASCAR, golf, florist, laundromats, realtors, wedding planners, veterinarians, wiccans, any hobby you can think of probably has a book series. And most of these series have cats or dogs as major characters, and in some of them they solve the mysteries, and in at least one series I read, the cats were magical and would walk through walls and lead their human to clues. There are enough dog ones that there are tons of different dog breed series, puppy rescue, kitten rescue, birds, probably every niche pet too now. Also a good chunk of these books have a librarian character because that's an easy way to get your book in libraries, even if it makes no sense to the plot.

The worst part is I have nowhere near enough time to read all of these, I can't even keep up with the SciFi and Fantasy sections!

Basically the same principle as all those Scooby-Doo knockoffs.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Xealot posted:

A movie that requires really sick sword choreography and can be as anachronistic as they want with that sounds great. I’m in for a medieval broadsword vs. samurai fight. Gladiator vs. Saracen. Some kind of Bronze Age Scorpion King vs., I don’t know, a Viking shieldmaiden. I’ll take any of those.

Transcending history and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

wyoming posted:

Oh, gently caress!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alan Smithee posted:

which marvel villain was he again

The Creeping Man, of course. They planned to make him the lead villain in the MCU premier of Sherlock Holmes, but contract and scheduling problems meant he premiered a decade ahead of the rest of the MCU as part of a backdoor pilot.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
The weird thing about highlander is that it always seems to go post apocalyptic/sci-fi sooner or later. The movies, the animated series, that anime film that came out a while back. Even the tv series went that route with that god awful Sci Fi Original movie.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As fun as the first story's focus is, once it gets to modern day it becomes a bit of a squandered concept. My take on a Highlander remake would be to ditch McCloud as well as the majority of the lore, then run with the broad-strokes mythology to do something big and weird and new with it. Maybe show the Mitochondrial Eve equivalent of immortals in pre-history, surviving the stone age and limping her way wearily into the bronze age and bearing children who would have a genetic marker which could result in immortality, seeing man pull himself from the mud into cities with awe and wonder. Or start with a 900 year old Methuselah in the antediluvian age wielding his flaming sword and discovering hallowed ground, pushing the religious imagery and making the quickening a more literal transcendence. Or an immortal in ancient Rome at the dawn of Christianity, having watched the pagan gods come and go, change, evolved, and die before his eyes. Just really push the passage of time to the forefront, the idea that these are beings who see human lifespans as blips.

That or just remake the first film straight, and for the sequels go the Assassin's Creed route and make a bunch of movies set at different points in the past which are all loosely connected but just give different stories of different immortals throughout time, most of which don't make it to the modern day.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

marshmallow creep posted:

I remember learning about "tank chocolate" which is just meth, in awful tasting chocolate bar form for tank crews.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Scho-ka-kola? That was a WWII era nazi military chocolate which contained an aaaaaaaaassload of caffeine. It's still being made and sold through a bunch of surplus stores etc.

I tried it once, and considering I'm sensitive to caffeine it was a really bad idea to casually eat almost half a tin. Once that caffeine kicked in it was a real bad time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Panzerschokolade ("tank chocolate") was slang for meth.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Or an immortal in ancient Rome at the dawn of Christianity, having watched the pagan gods come and go, change, evolved, and die before his eyes.

Wasn't this the idea for Gladiator 2? Maximum would be revived by the Roman gods as an immortal, and then he would live into the modern era to fight in every American war?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yep, for sure had that in my head when I wrote that. If Ridley Scott is too much of a coward :argh: to do that then I'd for sure steal the idea for Highlander or anything else. drat good script.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I thought there was actually chocolate involved but perhaps not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

I thought there was actually chocolate involved but perhaps not.

I think most people do due to the confusion of the slang term and Scho-ka-kola as Der Shovel mentioned. I certainly did when I first heard the term.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 30, 2020